solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

No, no, no.

Leave the cluttered desktop to Win 7.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

+1 .

I quite like macintoshtoffy idea, at least as option to pin to the Desktop.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

Yeah I agree. I haven't seen what windows 7 has done with such things but in Vista, turning off the gadget bar was certainly a top priority, and I would rather have Dashboard as it is than imposing on the real desktop. I could quite happily go without the scrolling up of the screen that it does for revealing the widget list also, but that's another minor point - things working properly is more important .

Windows 7 has shown to not be any faster than Vista, and I don’t see any stability variances at point in Vista’s development. I think the real differences between Vista and Win7 seem to be that Win7 has a lot less bells and whistles running in the background so that it can deployed on slower and older HW, which on those systems would give the appearance of being considerably faster.

I think I had read that Gadgets were originally not going to be part of Win7 as this was a resource hog, but they did eventually add it, just without hte sidebar. Perhaps this is one area they managed to make significantly better. Hopefully we’ll get some Gadget developers of hardcore Windows supporters to clear that up for us.

PS: I quite like the concept of SideShow Gadgets and hope that Apple does something similar on their trackpads —which are glass, multi-touch and have the physical button under the pad itself— by making the pad an output for when a user wants to display certain types Widgets all the time even while using the trackpad to maneuver the mouse for other tasks (like a weather report or countdown clock) and when you need certain types of apps that are more easily utilized by grabbing your phone than using the mouse to click around the screen (like the calculator app). This seems like it will happen eventually. There are a lot of Menu Bar items and Widgets that would be much better suited for output on a trackpad.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:

No, no, no.

Leave the cluttered desktop to Win 7.

Show me evidence that end users are forced to have gadgets on their desktop - if you say it is cluttered then it would hold consistent that gadgets are being forced on the end user.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

Show me evidence that end users are forced to have gadgets on their desktop - if you say it is cluttered then it would hold consistent that gadgets are being forced on the end user.

With the dashboard as currently implemented users call up the widgets.

What are you suggesting? In your previous post you said "What I'd like to see is for dashboard widgets to be visible on the desktop along with everything else like Microsoft has done with Windows 7." That suggests to me that the widgets would be visible on the desktop at all times.

IMO, that would lead to a cluttered desktop. No thanks. Especially when widgets can easily be call up as currently implemented.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Quote:

With the dashboard as currently implemented users call up the widgets.

What are you suggesting? In your previous post you said "What I'd like to see is for dashboard widgets to be visible on the desktop along with everything else like Microsoft has done with Windows 7." That suggests to me that the widgets would be visible on the desktop at all times.

IMO, that would lead to a cluttered desktop. No thanks. Especially when widgets can easily be call up as currently implemented.

Why not allow the end user to choose visibility? why does it have to be one or the other?
  • Reply 45 of 48
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Apple issued 10.4.11 AFTER 10.5 came out, so I suspect there may be another release down the pipeline, but definitely nothing as major as 10.5.8.

10.4.11 came out two weeks after 10.5 shipped, so it while it may have technically come out 'after' 10.5, it was in development before 10.5 shipped, or was known to be ready to ship. After that, nada.

I do hope 10.5 sees updates well after 10.6. I think it is becoming a necessity for Apple to do so, as their user base becomes larger and less likely to buy every update.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

Why not allow the end user to choose visibility? why does it have to be one or the other?

How do you want to implement it that is different than currently available?

Right now if you want them visible you click the dashboard icon in the dock.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

How do you want to implement it that is different than currently available?

Right now if you want them visible you click the dashboard icon in the dock.

I didn?t think people use that option. I remove the icon and just use the keyboard button or an Exposé corner to call Dashboard.

But to answer your question, it could be as simple as the Top Sites feature in Safari 4, where pressing Edit will allow your Pin a site. In Dashboard, Pinning could appear when you click the Plus button in the lower right corner to add Widgets or when you mouseover a Widget while holding down the Option key. However, there are some issues with this setup as place you want the Pinned Dashboard Widget on your Desktop may not be the place you want it when you call Dashboard.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I didn’t think people use that option. I remove the icon and just use the keyboard button or an Exposé corner to call Dashboard.

That's debatable. Average Mac users are not into keyboard shortcuts the way experienced users are.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But to answer your question, it could be as simple as the Top Sites feature in Safari 4, where pressing Edit will allow your Pin a site. In Dashboard, Pinning could appear when you click the Plus button in the lower right corner to add Widgets or when you mouseover a Widget while holding down the Option key. However, there are some issues with this setup as place you want the Pinned Dashboard Widget on your Desktop may not be the place you want it when you call Dashboard.

That seems more complicated than the current method of calling up widgets, which is simple and unobtrusive.