iPhone overheating problems could see aid from new patent

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I guess I'll know tomorrow. I hope it all works out. i've been listening to your incessant cheerleading and you've convinced me to buy.

good grief... now we'll NEVER hear the end of it.

sure you don't want a pre?
  • Reply 62 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

That is Sprint, which is better than AT&T, then again he probably thinks Al-Qaeda is better than AT&T the way he slanders them. The Storm 3 or the Samsung i910, with it?s 5Mpx camera and video recording on Verizon seem like a better fit.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Hmmm . . . I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    alecthekingalectheking Posts: 206member
    Wait until we have to hear the excuses as to why he DIDN'T end up getting an Iphone. Or, I'm betting he says "Well, I went through activation and everything was okay. I was leaving the store and as soon as I got outside I got the searching for service dialog. DAMN AT&T suck's I cant believe I even thought about switching to them. I brought the Iphone back 5 minutes later because the coverage was horrible! AT&T sucks so bad ! blah blah
  • Reply 65 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It's usually pretty hard to gauge the pervasiveness of a problem. The people that encounter a problem might feel that it's widespread, the ones that don't might feel it's obscure, in the Apple fan community, are even prone to blame the user because they don't seem to think Apple's product can ever be at fault. And these discussions are prone to silly hyperbole, someone will make an empty threat of a class action lawsuit, etc.

You really need to have a controlled survey a large number of product owners. It doesn't sound like a widespread problem yet.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Isn't this all in the manual?

Yes, it is. But the operating conditions in the real world are often outside the "safe" boundaries in the manual. Nevermind.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    Here is some evidence that at least some of the white iPhone discolourations may be from cheap cases.
    Though, I’m sure that there are certainly some bad batteries in the millions of iPhones they’ve sold already.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Isn't this all in the manual?

Isn't that a bit of a cop-out? Have you read the manual? If you have, do you remember everything that's in there? Do you carry a thermometer and hygrometer to make sure you turn it off when the conditions are outside of its rated specs?
  • Reply 69 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Isn't that a bit of a cop-out? Have you read the manual? If you have, do you remember everything that's in there? Do you carry a thermometer and hygrometer to make sure you turn it off when the conditions are outside of its rated specs?

It’s a cop out if Apple states that you shouldn’t have used your device on an extra hot day, but temperature, humidity and altitude usage ratings are commonplace for CE. Perhaps even a requirement in the US since it’s so common.

The SW has an internal thermometer and the warning so when the internals get too hot it can safely shutdown. I’d expect every decent handheld CE to have the same thing. The only caveat I see is that the maximum operating range for the iPhone is only 95°F/35°C while the Pre is 113°F/45°C. The minimum is the same, and I think the iPhone can do a little better with humidity, but I would expect that with a more sealed device.

For better or for worse, 95°F is just bit too low and well within the normal summer temperatures for many places the iPhone is sold.
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It’s a cop out if Apple states that you shouldn’t have used your device on an extra hot day, but temperature, humidity and altitude usage ratings are commonplace for CE. Perhaps even a requirement in the US since it’s so common.

My primary statement it is that I'm calling "it's in the manual" the cop-out. Not that there are environmental limitations on proper operation. I doubt many people read very far into the manual, if any at all, including those that tell others to RTFM. Might as well tell people to read the EULA on every program and site they use, including revisions. That rarely happens.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

My complaint about it is that I'm calling "it's in the manual" a cop-out. Not that there are environmental limitations on proper operation.

Gotcha. My mistake.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Cupertino U- is obviously where you attended.

And you have no clue about the nature of consumer electronics, especially of the portable nature.