iPhone 3GS marked AT&T's "best-ever sales day"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can see jailbroken original and 3G iPhones on YouTube showing off video recording. It?s quite poor in every regard. Apple had to wait for better HW and to rewrite some QuickTime frameworks (QuicktimeX) to make it what it is today. The original and 3G iPhones had plenty of HW capabilities for video recording if they weren?t running OS X, but remember that iPhone OS X is shrunken version of Mac OS X which was designed for PC usage on much more powerful HW, not a truly mobile OS that designed with much slower HW in mind. OS X on the iPhone was really at its limit with that HW, which is part of the reason why even going between screens wasn?t as smooth as it should be, especially with the iPod running. This really is the first iPhone that could feasible video recording so you weren?t duped despite what some of the less knowledgeable posters here will tell you.

Do you think that the video would be much improved on the older hardware running the newer codecs? You see, it sucks that we aren't able to find out if it is truly crappy, because Apple will not allow it in the app store. $20-$30 is too much to spend to find out, plus you have to jailbreak your phone. It would be nice to have a $1.99 app for video in the app store so I could try it and see the crappyness for myself, firsthand. I have a feeling it was all in those "frameworks" you mentioned there, and not in the hardware.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Do you think that the video would be much improved on the older hardware running the newer codecs? You see, it sucks that we aren't able to find out if it is truly crappy, because Apple will not allow it in the app store. $20-$30 is too much to spend to find out, plus you have to jailbreak your phone. It would be nice to have a $1.99 app for video in the app store so I could try it and see the crappyness for myself, firsthand. I have a feeling it was all in those "frameworks" you mentioned there, and not in the hardware.

I assure it?s not. That was only one of the issues. Did you ever run the iPod app while trying to use Safari or another app? Seriously, dd you not notice the slowdown and momentary stalling? There is only 128MB RAM in the first two iPhones and most of that was dedicated to the OS itself. Mobile OSes that started with 8MB RAM or less got to build up over time. The new iPhone now has enough RAM to potentially allow for a well sandboxed background app or two, though RAM is not the only issue to contend with on that front.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

It's terribly hard for me to be convinced that a RAZR could do video, and yet an iPhone 3G cannot. I just don't see it, even through that thick line of crap you driveled all over the screen there.

All it takes is the right chip - it's not "hard" it just takes the right hardware. The iPhone hardware could do stills easily, but video, not at all. Cycorder recorded at anywhere from 7-15 FPS. Does that sound like quality that Apple would want to put their name on?
  • Reply 24 of 54
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

So you're saying you've made up your mind and no evidence (in this world) will convince you otherwise?

OK then!
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Quote:

Before you really let the jackassery get out of hand, this is the site for the Cycorder app for jailbroken iPhones. Note the codec used, the fps and resolution. Does tweaking the HW up when they are already trying to save power and the quality from this app really sound like something Apple would put out just because it?s technically feasible. Guess what, if we loaded WinCE or Symbian we could get 30fps at a higher bitrate. Also note the Palm Pre, with equivalent 3GS HW still can?t do video recording, yet older Palm phones could. How about them Apples?

I dont mind the video of the snake at all. And keep in mind, please, it is not "jackassery". Sometimes, it would be nice to shoot video, even if it is shitty video. Not a feature I would jailbreak my phone over, but there are times where even a shitty, choppy crap video would be better than none. For instance, I was watching these guys at home d**ot severely overload an S-10 full of bags of concrete and drive away. I had to settle for pics, when a horribly bad video would have been better than the pics.

That said, I don't think the link you showed me has any really terrible video on it. It's a phone, not an HD camcorder.

And I don't care for your Apples, I want my Apples. Stick to your iMac, I want an expandable desktop, and I would like video on my damn phone.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

No no! Teckstud is buying an iPhone! I swear! Or at least he's really considering it. STRONGLY considering it. Does anyone have any last warnings before he does? He's 99.9% sure he's going to buy one, but JUST in case, if anyone can tell him ANYTHING bad about the iPhone he would LOVE to hear it. Once he's heard ALL of the complaints, then he'll go right out and buy one. He promises.

He told me so!

Right- and the first thing I'm gonna do is upload a video from it to youtube with me playing with it accompanied by the music "You know I'm BAD- you know it!"
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

OK then!

^^ correct.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:

I dont mind the video of the snake at all. And keep in mind, please, it is not "jackassery". Sometimes, it would be nice to shoot video, even if it is shitty video. Not a feature I would jailbreak my phone over, but there are times where even a shitty, choppy crap video would be better than none. For instance, I was watching these guys at home d**ot severely overload an S-10 full of bags of concrete and drive away. I had to settle for pics, when a horribly bad video would have been better than the pics.

That said, I don't think the link you showed me has any really terrible video on it. It's a phone, not an HD camcorder.

And I don't care for your Apples, I want my Apples. Stick to your iMac, I want an expandable desktop, and I would like video on my damn phone.

1) This line is jackassery: "I just don't see it, even through that thick line of crap you driveled all over the screen there.”

2) What part of over-clocking the phone which will drain the battery faster, low-bitrate, less than half the fps that one would expect for any video sound like “Apple-like” to you? Apple is making a smartphone for the average consumer, not some geeky device that people can drool over a spec sheet simply because the capability is technically possible, regardless of feasibility.

3) If you wanted a phone that did video two years ago there were plenty of options available to you, just like there are plenty of options for phones today that do video exceedingly better than the iPhone 3GS.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:

I assure it?s not. That was only one of the issues. Did you ever run the iPod app while trying to use Safari or another app? Seriously, dd you not notice the slowdown and momentary stalling? There is only 128MB RAM in the first two iPhones and most of that was dedicated to the OS itself. Mobile OSes that started with 8MB RAM or less got to build up over time. The new iPhone now has enough RAM to potentially allow for a well sandboxed background app or two, though RAM is not the only issue to contend with on that front.

I'm aware of the slowness, yes. I was kind of hoping it was due to the OS not being fully optimized, kinda like Leopard going to Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Quote:

1) This line is jackassery: "I just don't see it, even through that thick line of crap you driveled all over the screen there.?

Ah, yes...that jackassery. Good eye.

Quote:

2) Did you read anything that was posted here? What part of over-clocking the phone which will drain the battery faster, low-bitrate, less than half the fps that one would expect for any video sound like ?Apple-like? to you?

Not Apple-like, APP STORE-like.

Quote:

3) If you wanted a phone that did video two years ago there were plenty of options available to you, just like there are plenty of options for phones today that do video exceedingly better than the iPhone 3GS.

Indeed, there are. But as you can see, I like my iPhone, and I'm not even willing to jailbreak it to get the already available crappy video recording. I would rather pay $1.99-$3.99 for a terrible yet approved version at the app store. I could see using it maybe once or twice a month, for 30 seconds at a time. I think you may be reading too much emotion into these posts.

Geeze.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:

I'm aware of the slowness, yes. I was kind of hoping it was due to the OS not being fully optimized, kinda like Leopard going to Snow Leopard.

Don?t let the low price or lack of a new UI fool you, the move from Leopard to SL has nothing to do with a lack of optimizations in Leopard. SL is major low- and mid-level rewrite of OS X. There are plenty of new aspects to the OS.

iPhone OS X was and is quite impressive for what they were able to squeeze into a phone, but it?s still a very heavy OS for a phone.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:

Not Apple-like, APP STORE-like.

Indeed, there are. But as you can see, I like my iPhone, and I'm not even willing to jailbreak it to get the already available crappy video recording. I would rather pay $1.99-$3.99 for a terrible yet approved version at the app store. I could see using it maybe once or twice a month, for 30 seconds at a time.

That is impossible since the SDK doesn’t allow 3rd-party developers access to areas of the HW or privateFramewoks.

Quote:

I think you may be reading too much emotion into these posts.

Emotions are illogical.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:

Emotions are illogical.

As are glossy screens with no alternative. And no video on my iPhone 3G.

Alright, that's it for me for this evening. Thanks for the chat (and the info on my hardware, seriously.)
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:

Sheesh. Some never learn!
  • Reply 35 of 54
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This isn't true, there are a lot of still cameras that don't shoot video. Just because a cameras can take stills does not automatically mean it can shoot video. The two are entirely different processes that have different requirements.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Any digital camera can record video - even if its crappy choppy video. It's always been available - just not in Apple software for the prior phones.

• Reply 36 of 54
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    With the glossy screens and no video, Apple is making nearly as much money as Dell. Dell sells over three times the number of computers that Apple does.

Quote:

• Reply 37 of 54
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

My wife has Verizon, Solipsism, here ya go:

\t

Monthly access charget$59.99

Monthly allowance minutes: \t450 general

Per minute rate after allowance: \t$0.45 peak , $0.45 off-peak

$0.20 per Text Message sent/received (unless you subscribe to a messaging bundle)

Message Waiting Indicator

3-Way Calling

Call Waiting

M2M NATIONAL UNLIMITED

\t

Streamlined Billing

No Answer/Transfer

Call Delivery

Call Forward - No Answer

UNL TEXT MESSAGING

Additional Features Add/Remove Features

How to Use Features

TEC INSURANCE

Call Forwarding

UNL NIGHT & WEEKEND MIN

GENERAL IP ADDRESS

NATIONALACCESS ROAM-MB

\t

Caller ID

NEW EVERY TWO TIERED

UNL PICTURE/VIDEO MSG

PAY AS YOU USE MEGABYTE DATA

Visual Voice Mail

She pays $81 a month for that (total bill including every fee etc.) No internet access at all. Trust me, Verizon costs more.

I'm moving from Verizon this Fall. They have spent the past 5 years offering me a POS upgrade to a new phone but only go from 400->450 minutes with a price bump.

Someone needs to do a parody of ``Can you Hear me now?'' that truly mocks the crap out of them.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Apple Stores here in Orange County still have lines for iPhone purchase, day after day since the launch of the iPhone 3GS.

The best is yet to come! As for the so-called competitors, let's just say they have been busy accepting their returns. All touch screens are not the same. Most of all, all smartphones are not created equal.

Iphone has no equal. As simple as that.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Someone needs to do a parody of ``Can you Hear me now?'' that truly mocks the crap out of them.

Not quite what you asked for but I still love it...
  • Reply 40 of 54
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    We have one more hard evidence of iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS brisk sales. Oh, and we have official numbers too! I think that "more than a million" claim is downplaying [a little bit] the actual number. With many phones ordered online and delivered by courier it was harder to tell the exact number. Apple preferred to give a more conservative expectation, hence the "more than a million" wording.

In any case we will know the totals at the next conference call. Unlike Palm, which gave absolutely no hint on the sales.

While we are at that, why they didn't? If the sales were above the expectations it would be a great idea to share the numbers. If the sales were in line with the expectations, that would only confirm the good news. For me, there is only one reason: the sales would be perceived as disappointing by the investors, so Palm decided to keep the numbers and hope for better numbers during the quarter. It's like a gambler who takes another extremely risky bet to compensate for the losses already made.

And all those Pre advocates showing up everywhere, this forums including? OK, the Pre might be a great device for some people (not for me though), some might still believe that the Pre and/or WebOS is "The next Big Think"TM, but the the Pre fans presence seems out of proportion for me.

There were two events recently which make me paranoid:
    • A couple of weeks ago I met a classmate who happened to be [Windows] developer. He used to work for a relatively small software shop developing solutions for a not very large, but definite target group. He said that their marketing department was very helpful by identifying features customers will pay for. Then, when the product is released they were performing very effective campaigns promoting the product on different forums. During that period, there were several people who's full time job was to post "feedbacks" and "opinions" on the new product, posing as several users each. Sometimes I wonder: did Palm play the same game?

• I tried to post on a Palm-related blog. My post was not offensive at all. I just wanted to point out some obvious omissions which were pretty common, like comparing the price of the Pre to the iPhone and using the iPhone 3GS 32GB as a reference. Even if you discount iPhone 3G (which is pretty good competitor to Pre IMO) you should use iPHone 3GS 16GB. The post never showed up