iPhone 3GS marked AT&T's "best-ever sales day"

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Is this true!? Can you confirm?

Wow, if so, I am pretty cheezed-off too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Edit: You know what really bothers me though, is that Apple cheezed on the video for the 3G. I know it was in their best interest so they could have a sales extravaganza like this, but we all know that video is possible on the 3G.

Here's an interesting clip I recorded with iPhone 3G (not S) several months back with Cycorder...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es4lGYvJ5OM

Not fantastic, Apple could have offered video recording on the iPhone 3G but I don't think the quality/ speed/ etc. would be there. However, given it was night time, with exploding stuff in my clip, the video recording is not *that* bad.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    Public relations machinery is everywhere... Trust no one, Mr. Mulder.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

We have one more hard evidence of iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS brisk sales. Oh, and we have official numbers too! I think that "more than a million" claim is downplaying [a little bit] the actual number. With many phones ordered online and delivered by courier it was harder to tell the exact number. Apple preferred to give a more conservative expectation, hence the "more than a million" wording.

In any case we will know the totals at the next conference call. Unlike Palm, which gave absolutely no hint on the sales.

While we are at that, why they didn't? If the sales were above the expectations it would be a great idea to share the numbers. If the sales were in line with the expectations, that would only confirm the good news. For me, there is only one reason: the sales would be perceived as disappointing by the investors, so Palm decided to keep the numbers and hope for better numbers during the quarter. It's like a gambler who takes another extremely risky bet to compensate for the losses already made.

And all those Pre advocates showing up everywhere, this forums including? OK, the Pre might be a great device for some people (not for me though), some might still believe that the Pre and/or WebOS is "The next Big Think"TM, but the the Pre fans presence seems out of proportion for me.

There were two events recently which make me paranoid:
    • A couple of weeks ago I met a classmate who happened to be [Windows] developer. He used to work for a relatively small software shop developing solutions for a not very large, but definite target group. He said that their marketing department was very helpful by identifying features customers will pay for. Then, when the product is released they were performing very effective campaigns promoting the product on different forums. During that period, there were several people who's full time job was to post "feedbacks" and "opinions" on the new product, posing as several users each. Sometimes I wonder: did Palm play the same game?

• I tried to post on a Palm-related blog. My post was not offensive at all. I just wanted to point out some obvious omissions which were pretty common, like comparing the price of the Pre to the iPhone and using the iPhone 3GS 32GB as a reference. Even if you discount iPhone 3G (which is pretty good competitor to Pre IMO) you should use iPHone 3GS 16GB. The post never showed up

• Reply 43 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

It's terribly hard for me to be convinced that a RAZR could do video, and yet an iPhone 3G cannot. I just don't see it, even through that thick line of crap you driveled all over the screen there.

The razr v3xx can do video but that has an nvidia processor in it (yes it is still older then the 3g though.)
  • Reply 44 of 54
    and uttering the commonly heard "I love my iPhone but AT&T sucks". Which is what I say when someone asks me. I was originally with Cingular and they were a world different from AT&T. I wish they never would have sold. (sigh)
  • Reply 45 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heavydevelopment View Post

and uttering the commonly heard "I love my iPhone but AT&T sucks". Which is what I say when someone asks me. I was originally with Cingular and they were a world different from AT&T. I wish they never would have sold. (sigh)

You do realize that Cingular wasn?t bought by AT&T, but that Cingular bought AT&T and then changed their name to AT&T because they were more well known.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You do realize that Cingular wasn?t bought by AT&T, but that Cingular bought AT&T and then changed their name to AT&T because they were more well known.

It's confusing as such, but that is true. Like Vodafone owning controlling stakes in Verizon Wireless, but keeping it as Verizon Wireless.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

You do realize that Cingular wasn’t bought by AT&T, but that Cingular bought AT&T and then changed their name to AT&T because they were more well known.

It amazes me that people forget about this and the fact that originally the official iPhone carrier was supposed to be Cingular before they bought and changed their name to AT&T.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    I had the iphone 3G.. jailbroken with cycorder at one point... and now have the 3GS. The 3GS is orders of magnitude greater than the 3G. Recorded video on the 3G was barely above 10fps except for in broad daylight. WHen you imported those videos to your computer they were 320x240 and crap.

With the 3GS, they are twice the resolution (640x480 AND with autofocus) and usually 3 times the avg framerate of any cycorder video.

Of note, I've noticed that when you switch into video recording mode on the 3GS, it takes a few seconds, presumably to ramp up the processor or whatever, in trying to attain 30fps - which even it cannot do in low light. AND, when you are in a phone call (which uses a bit of proc power) you do not even have the option to record video until the call is ended. I know its not everyday that you have to on the phone AND recording video at the same time, but it's happened to me twice already and while unfortunate, I think it might be a testament to how much power it takes to really crank decent video out of an iPhone... well, with apple's current implementation of the quicktime encoding on the phone's hardware anyway.

Time for a ground-up rewrite to quicktime I think. Seriously though, the FlipHD cams can do 720p video at 30fps consistently on hardware that not that much bigger.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OhReallyNow View Post

I had the iphone 3G.. jailbroken with cycorder at one point... and now have the 3GS. The 3GS is orders of magnitude greater than the 3G. Recorded video on the 3G was barely above 10fps except for in broad daylight. WHen you imported those videos to your computer they were 320x240 and crap.

With the 3GS, they are twice the resolution (640x480 AND with autofocus) and usually 3 times the avg framerate of any cycorder video.

Of note, I've noticed that when you switch into video recording mode on the 3GS, it takes a few seconds, presumably to ramp up the processor or whatever, in trying to attain 30fps - which even it cannot do in low light. AND, when you are in a phone call (which uses a bit of proc power) you do not even have the option to record video until the call is ended. I know its not everyday that you have to on the phone AND recording video at the same time, but it's happened to me twice already and while unfortunate, I think it might be a testament to how much power it takes to really crank decent video out of an iPhone... well, with apple's current implementation of the quicktime encoding on the phone's hardware anyway.

Time for a ground-up rewrite to quicktime I think. Seriously though, the FlipHD cams can do 720p video at 30fps consistently on hardware that not that much bigger.

I hadn?t noticed that you can?t record video while using the phone before. Thanks. I had ried having the iPod on while recording video and that didn?t work but I figured that was so you could record audio with the video, but even with the headphones on the mic recording from the device it still stops it. I think you are right about the CPU usage. Now that it?s jailbroken we?ll hopefully get some solid stats about what is going on with the HW.

The Flip MinoHD is pretty cool and it?s actually smaller than the iPhone on all fronts. That said, it is designed for one purpose. I know you know that but others will claim that Apple must be holding back on their customers.

QuickTime X is hefty rewrite of QT, it?s presumably part of what make the video recording as good as it is on the 3GS. Note that the resolution has doubled on each axis making it 4x the resolution of Cycorder. I?m glad someone else has used both devices.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    I think comparing Flip video recording and iPhone 3GS video recording is something like comparing a Cell processor to a Core 2 Duo, as a very rough analogy. One device is specifically oriented to a task whereas the iPhone 3GS handles many different tasks. Remember even while recording video the iPhone 3GS is handling "background" stuff - push notifications, an entire OS still running...

Sure I think Apple could squeeze out more video performance but heat, battery, etc. issues may come into play.

Personally I don't think Apple is "holding out". Call me a fanboy but they know what they're doing with the iPhone. I don't mind that iPhone 3G (not S) can't officially do video. That's what the jailbreak community is for.

Quote:

I hadn?t noticed that you can?t record video while using the phone before. Thanks. I had ried having the iPod on while recording video and that didn?t work but I figured that was so you could record audio with the video, but even with the headphones on the mic recording from the device it still stops it. I think you are right about the CPU usage. Now that it?s jailbroken we?ll hopefully get some solid stats about what is going on with the HW.

The Flip MinoHD is pretty cool and it?s actually smaller than the iPhone on all fronts. That said, it is designed for one purpose. I know you know that but others will claim that Apple must be holding back on their customers.

QuickTime X is hefty rewrite of QT, it?s presumably part of what make the video recording as good as it is on the 3GS. Note that the resolution has doubled on each axis making it 4x the resolution of Cycorder. I?m glad someone else has used both devices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OhReallyNow View Post

• Reply 51 of 54
    fulldecentfulldecent Posts: 108member
    I saw a TV commercial yesterday for AT&T:

[... our network is so good...] this is why twice as many people choose the AT&T network for their smartphones.

Did anyone else find the flaw in this marketing line?
  • Reply 52 of 54
    jurajjuraj Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This isn't true, there are a lot of still cameras that don't shoot video. Just because a cameras can take stills does not automatically mean it can shoot video. The two are entirely different processes that have different requirements.

Yup. But some people call even a flip-book good video.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

No no! Teckstud is buying an iPhone! I swear! Or at least he's really considering it. STRONGLY considering it. Does anyone have any last warnings before he does? He's 99.9% sure he's going to buy one, but JUST in case, if anyone can tell him ANYTHING bad about the iPhone he would LOVE to hear it. Once he's heard ALL of the complaints, then he'll go right out and buy one. He promises.

He told me so!

Haha that is me too.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

I saw a TV commercial yesterday for AT&T:

[... our network is so good...] this is why twice as many people choose the AT&T network for their smartphones.

Did anyone else find the flaw in this marketing line?

Well... the question I have is twice as many people as what...?