Breaking: shots fired at Virginia-based Apple Store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is nothing compared to the ancient/medieval world. Except that recent generations have gornw unsed to the horrors witnessed by out ancestors.

In an era of promoting globalization, World Peace(TM), and platitudes from the Pope, these unfortunate events seem even more unsettling. We no longer accept violence qua violence the way our ancestors did.

Spell Check. Learn it, Use it.

Thanks.

While you're at it, learn to construct proper sentences too.
  • Reply 62 of 123
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverflyer View Post

wow, just wow. Some of you need to grow up.

Never!!!
  • Reply 63 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

If this is true, (and I don't disagree), that makes the US one of the most "medieval" or backward countries in the world.

Oh, where to begin...
  • Reply 64 of 123
    I don't know very many meth addicts that are Vigilant Gun Owners. I do know some addicts though.
  • Reply 65 of 123
    dezlboydezlboy Posts: 4member
    Apparently the employee is going to be fine. Good news!
  • Reply 66 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Never!!!

Apparently...
  • Reply 67 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silverflyer View Post

Oh, where to begin...

Do you really think any of your posts are ?grown up?-ish in any way?
  • Reply 68 of 123
    Are you aware that Aspirin does not cause bad trips or hallucinations?
  • Reply 69 of 123
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 789member
    Does anyone know where Steve Ballmer was at the time?
  • Reply 70 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silverflyer View Post

Are you aware that Aspirin does not cause bad trips or hallucinations?

I’m not sure who you are replying to here, but Aspirin can potentially cause hallucinations if you have consumed an excessive amount. I don’t think bad trip applies since one doesn’t take it for a good trip so there can’t be a counter to that.
  • Reply 71 of 123
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

I’m not sure who you are replying to here, but Aspirin can potentially cause hallucinations if you have consumed an excessive amount. I don’t think bad trip applies since one doesn’t take it for a good trip so there can’t be a counter to that.

Correct.

http://www.articlesbase.com/medicine...ts-291535.html

http://www.texasheart.org/HIC/Topics...pirin_meds.cfm
  • Reply 72 of 123
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is nothing compared to the ancient/medieval world. Except that recent generations have gornw unsed to the horrors witnessed by out ancestors.

In an era of promoting globalization, World Peace(TM), and platitudes from the Pope, these unfortunate events seem even more unsettling. We no longer accept violence qua violence the way our ancestors did.

Violence is ingrained in our society and culture. At least people many years ago didn't have slasher movies and images of people getting their faces blown off or hacked to bits available to them 24 hours a day in their homes like we do now. Not to mention easy access to deadly weapons, ammunition and explosives.

And do you really think the Pope and the organization he reigns over is all about non-violence and peace? Think again.
  • Reply 73 of 123
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    When I worked at the Apple Store in Newport Beach CA, the back door had a means to identify who was on the other side--either a peep hole/intercom combination, or video camera--can't remember which. But we were instructed not to open the door without permission from store management. Management would presumably know if the caller was legit. Wonder what happened in this case. Maybe the brown outfit looked like a delivery service uniform? Sounds like she was resisting him and trying to protect the store and its occupants. Hope the woman who was injured makes a complete recovery--getting shot is not like in the movies.
  • Reply 74 of 123
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

He was making a joke. Acetylsalicylic acid is Aspirin, not LSD. But on that note, a bad trip could cause hallucenations and paranoia, but meth and even alcohol are probably more likely to cause a violent outburst.

Oops. My mistake.

In my defence it's outrageously hot where I am and my brain is shutting down.
  • Reply 75 of 123
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    A wound to the shoulder sucks, but it can be healed, etc. What she really may need, and it may not manifest itself for awhile, is counseling for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. When I was 18 I was robbed in this fashion at a fast food chain. I wasn't shot (which certainly would've made everything far worse), -- the first couple of days I was joking about it -- but after that everything changed. I had to quit because every time a guy walked up to the window I thought I was going to get shot or something. You get sort of paranoid. I never had treatment, and got over it after awhile - but this girl had a gun blast at her at close range and strike her. It most likely mess with her head for awhile.
  • Reply 76 of 123
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

When I worked at the Apple Store in Newport Beach CA, the back door had a means to identify who was on the other side--either a peep hole/intercom combination, or video camera--can't remember which. But we were instructed not to open the door without permission from store management. Management would presumably know if the caller was legit. Wonder what happened in this case. Maybe the brown outfit looked like a delivery service uniform? Sounds like she was resisting him and trying to protect the store and its occupants. Hope the woman who was injured makes a complete recovery--getting shot is not like in the movies.

Where I was we had the back door propped open for ventilation - common practice. That changed quickly.
  • Reply 77 of 123
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Oops. My mistake.

Time for a drink!

Getting hot where I am, too. Seems the AC can't keep up.
  • Reply 78 of 123
    Quote:

Oops. My mistake.

I think Aspirin would help you dissipate heat faster, though you may actually feel hotter at the same time. Hopefully someone can answer that or you can take some aspirin and let us know the results.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

A wound to the shoulder sucks, but it can be healed, etc. What she really may need, and it may not manifest itself for awhile, is counseling for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. When I was 18 I was robbed in this fashion at a fast food chain. I wasn't shot (which certainly would've made everything far worse), -- the first couple of days I was joking about it -- but after that everything changed. I had to quit because every time a guy walked up to the window I thought I was going to get shot or something. You get sort of paranoid. I never had treatment, and got over it after awhile - but this girl had a gun blast at her at close range and strike her. It most likely mess with her head for awhile.

I would expect Apple to float the bill on such treatment and gets her some free merchandise, even though it?s not their fault.
  • Reply 79 of 123
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Does anyone know where Steve Ballmer was at the time?

Probably working somewhere in the Seattle, WA area.
  • Reply 80 of 123
    Well, I understand she made it out of surgery early this afternoon and they say she'll make it. I don't yet know how bad off she is, but it sounds like she'll likely recover well. As a friend we'll be thinking of her and hoping for her release and recovery soon.