Breaking: shots fired at Virginia-based Apple Store

Comments

• Reply 81 of 123
    Some people really get upset that Apple doesn't make a netbook.
  • Reply 82 of 123
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

Virginia rednecks say "We don't need no stinkin' Apple Store!"

Except that portion of Northern VA is far from rural or full of "rednecks" - it's much closer to NYNY or San Francisco - big dense urban area full predominately of liberal democrats.
  • Reply 83 of 123
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Does anyone know where Steve Ballmer was at the time?

Somewhere crying about the latest browser-share figures that show IE has dropped below 60%, while FF keeps making solid gains.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...x-surpasses-30

Not even vomit can help sell IE, as we have seen with MS' latest advertising buffoonery. There seems to be no limit to IE suckage or MS' incompetence.
  • Reply 84 of 123
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

I was completely unaware. That said, I almost don't use it at all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paige View Post

As a fellow Apple employee, I really hope that the woman who was shot will be ok. It never ceases to amaze me how shallow some of the people who have commented here are!

Some people take thinks too seriously too. Were you offended by shows like M*A*S*H?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In that case, then society has always been festering and rotting because it is not uncommon for something of this caliber to happen. I bet there are many violent outburst in a retail stores every single day somewhere in the world. If it?s rotting then it?s a very, very slow rot indeed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Luckily, this story will be buried thanks to the unending Michael Jackson coverage, and now 4th of July coverage.

"I'm reporting in the field to tell you that today is July 4. That is all. Back to you John."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I heard that Michael Jackson will be melted down and made into Legos so kids can play with him for once. (Too soon?)

I'm sure a fan would gripe, but then, a lot more happens in the world than one pop music star dying, what little mainstream news I do get is overflowing with MJ coverage. Not a proud week in my opinion.
  • Reply 85 of 123
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

http://apcmag.com/site/wp-content/up...-Huang-350.gif

mugshot of the assailant

Real classy! Nice to see we are all showing our humanity.
  • Reply 86 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Real classy! Nice to see we are all showing our humanity.

Right.

Let's all just add to the pile of useless "OMG I hope she's ok!" comments.

OF COURSE we hope she's alright and that she'll pull through. Does it really bear mentioning?

At least we can enjoy a little humour in this otherwise sobering thread. I thought that pic was damn funny, actually. A clever use of current events.
  • Reply 87 of 123
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member
    We considered moving our company to Virginia (professional staff). When word got out, wives were against moving there because of the pro-gun stance of the State.

We dumped Virginia. But it surprised us.

They get what they create.
  • Reply 88 of 123
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

We considered moving our company to Virginia (professional staff). When word got out, wives were against moving there because of the pro-gun stance of the State.

We dumped Virginia. But it surprised us.

They get what they create.

Sorry, it doesn't correlate. Lots of states are "pro-gun", some I would wager even more so, but don't get nearly so many whack job violence incidents like Virginia has had in the news. Even those violence incidents are outliers, they're only a very few but shocking enough to be fodder for the circus media.
  • Reply 89 of 123
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Somewhere crying about the latest browser-share figures that show IE has dropped below 60%, while FF keeps making solid gains.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...x-surpasses-30

Not even vomit can help sell IE, as we have seen with MS' latest advertising buffoonery. There seems to be no limit to IE suckage or MS' incompetence.

Apparently nothing can help Safari's market share, either.

IE is dropping in market share and Safari is increasing, but it still doesn't change (at least at the moment) the fact that IE still has a dominant market share position. It might be getting smaller all the time (and that's a good thing, since smaller market share means more competition and better products for everyone), but it's still the majority.

As for Microsoft's incompetence... Well, you're clearly just misinformed. Hardly surprising.
  • Reply 90 of 123
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    No doubt infuriated by the lack of a mid-range tower in Apple's lineup... Serves them right.
  • Reply 91 of 123
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    I'm not impressed with the negative sentiment expressed against Virginia. Virginia has a rich history and culture that's belied by sundry aspersions and stereotypes. There's no doubt that Virginia has a certain duality to it--from which the myopic may find basis to malign--but there is charm in being the northernmost southern state, in having both rural and metropolitan areas, and in having natives that find appreciation for both the genteel and urbane.

It's a yin and yang thing beotches!

To pigeonhole Virginians is to discount the legacy of George Washington, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison... or even Robert E. Lee. It is to ignore Arthur Ashe and Doug Wilder for the sake of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. (Not to mention Warren Beatty, Shirley MacLean, or Wayne Newton.) If you need one modern personage to embody Virginia, think Tom Wolfe, not a hick.

As regards crime in Virginia, some of the most notorious cases have been committed by out-of-towners. Anyone remember this? A Richmond family (who happened to be Mac users) was found slaughtered on New Year's Day 2006. No guns were used in that incident, by the way. As I recall, the perpetrators were from Arlington, VA, but were living in Pennsylvania or New Jersey--just strolling through when they happened upon the Harveys.

Then you've got the two Asian guys that went went nuts at Virginia Tech. Korean Cho Seung-Hui was just plain crazy and could have gone off anywhere. Who knows what Chinese Haiyang Zhu was thinking when he cut off that girl's head in a campus cafe? (By the way, no gun was used during that crime either.)

And who can forget famous Ecuadorean Lorena Bobbit, who used a non-gun to cut off her husband's wee-wee?

• Reply 92 of 123
    podikipodiki Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

In an era of promoting globalization, World Peace(TM), and platitudes from the Pope, these unfortunate events seem even more unsettling. We no longer accept violence qua violence the way our ancestors did.

It was hard to not pee my pants after reading this one.
  • Reply 93 of 123
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    People can be no higher than pond scumb from time to time.
  • Reply 94 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Apparently nothing can help Safari's market share, either.

IE is dropping in market share and Safari is increasing, but it still doesn't change (at least at the moment) the fact that IE still has a dominant market share position. It might be getting smaller all the time (and that's a good thing, since smaller market share means more competition and better products for everyone), but it's still the majority.

As for Microsoft's incompetence... Well, you're clearly just misinformed. Hardly surprising.

Really?

Look what Apple has rolled out since 2001. Then look at what's come out of Redmond since 2001. Where's all that MS R&D money going??

Only themselves to blame for rolling out uninspiring, mediocre products year after year. A corporate/enterprise software vendor masquerading as a home/consumer vendor. And people are steadily waking up to this reality.
  • Reply 95 of 123
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

getting shot is not like in the movies.

You mean we don't bend over backwards and watch the bullets zip by in slow motion? I was really looking forward to experiencing that one day.
  • Reply 96 of 123
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

You mean we don't bend over backwards and watch the bullets zip by in slow motion? I was really looking forward to experiencing that one day.

No no, it is possible. You have to practice ALOT. Both physical training and in the case of the bullets ... M-I-N-D P-O-W-E-R training! I started off with the basics, you know, out running small explosions. Then on to large explosions (cities) and flying debris such as cars and busses. I now warm up daily out running fireballs in tunnels followed by some major floods before I move on to some zen mind-power warmups running up walls, doing summersaults whilst slicing thin slithers of cheese from a hunk of parmesan (suspended in mid air by mind power alone!) with my laser sharp Samurai sword. The best part is watching the paper thin slices land on my beautifully prepared balsamic salad. I always exercise before lunch.
  • Reply 97 of 123
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Yes, there is the sound basis for a business decision - unfounded prejudice! Sounds like your not moving to VA was more of a benefit to them...

And what state are you in now, pray tell?
  • Reply 98 of 123
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Yes, there is the sound basis for a business decision - unfounded prejudice! Sounds like your not moving to VA was more of a benefit to them...

LMAO.
  • Reply 99 of 123
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

There appears to be very few states that are considered anti-gun: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, & Wisconsin; and of course Washington DC.
  • Reply 100 of 123
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uni View Post

Who's to say that the shooting wasn't caused by a vigilant gun owner (read: meth addict up for 4 days) who THOUGHT somebody else had a gun and was trying to stop THEM? Wow, your argument kinda fell apart there.

Statistics show most armed robberies are committed with unregistered guns. And would you really break into a store and shoot someone because you thought they had a gun? Wow, your argument kinda fell apart there.