college football 2001

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know there are a lot of Texans and Californians on this Forum -- lots of college students, too -- so I thought it would be a peachy idea to break out a discussion of college football.

My Ducks are #4 in the BCS and I'm hoping a few games go our way this weekend and we creep upward a bit. What about your team?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    USC v UCLA this saturday...

we beat the bruins two straight years... i say we win again by 7.

go 'sc :cool:
  • Reply 2 of 27
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I'm an Iowa State (tailback U) fan. We've slipped a bit from last years big season (9-3: huge for us,) but still 5-4, not bad.

Who do you guys like for the Heisman? I have nightly Eric Crouch nightmares, and I like the throwback factor of an option quarterback winning.

Jeff

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Normally I'd like to see UCLA lose that game.... but if UCLA wins, they'll finish the year ranked higher, and Oregon will get more "quality win" points in the BCS for having beaten UCLA.

Now, when it comes to the Apple Cup (Washington vs. Washington State, for you Easterners), I have no such conflict. My usual choice, which is that UW should lose ALL games, is also in line with what benefits the Ducks most. If WSU wins, they'll finish in the BCS top 7 which will really help Oregon's "quality win" points and strength of schedule rating.

So, Enigma, I'd like to see you guys win, and think you have a very good chance. Don't hold it against me if I root against you for selfish reasons!
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Eric Crouch is a scary mo-fo. I hate QBs like that -- I mean, I hate playing against them.

Every time I think the Heisman is figured out, somebody goes and has a terrible game (Dorsey this weekend) or gets suspended for doing something stupid (DeShaun Foster), or loses his team the game with an ill-timed fumble (Foster again).

I have a feeling Nebraska will win out, Miami will lose a game, and Crouch will enter the National Championship game as the Heisman favorite.

Wouldn't it be great if the NC game featured the two Heisman favorites as opposing quarterbacks? Crouch and Harrington (it can't be Crouch and Dorsey because Miami's gonna lose twice, and won't be Rex Chapman after they lose to FSU), maybe?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Your Ducks displaced my 'horns you bastard.

UT reporting for duty.

Ready to beat the crap out of A&M on T+1 and hoping to jump past OU when they lose to UNL again.

Hook 'em!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Groverat, I've been so pissed about how Texas has been treated in the polls all year. We waxed you guys in the Holiday Bowl last year, and then you started the first poll ahead of us.

Further proof that all things being equal, Pac 10 teams will get slightly lower poll rankings than they deserve, as compared to the Florida and Texas teams, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Tennessee, etc.!

Finally we've gone from what I'd consider too low in the BCS, to a BCS ranking that seems surprisingly high. But if UCLA & WSU both win out, our SOS and "quality wins" factors will both improve.... even though beating a stinky OSU team isn't going to help us much (assuming we win -- I've learned by now not to count on winning the Civil War, no matter how crappy the Beavers are that year).
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Waxed?

True freshman dropped two touchdowns in the endzone in the final ticks of the game clock. You won fair and square (Harrington is good!), but it'd hardly call it a waxing.

Stanford is looking less impressive, but that shouldn't hurt you. UCLA's stock is falling rapidly.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    My beloved Fighting Illini of Illinois are 8-1 and #10 in the BCS standings. This is just great. The one year that we have a great shot at winning the Big Ten championship and we don't get to go to the Rose Bowl (unless a lot of upsets happen). This week will be a tough test playing at Ohio St. but I think our offense is due for a complete game.

On an unrelated note: If Antwan Randle-El of Indiana played for Nebraska, he would've won a Heisman already. He's probably the most dangerous QB in the country. Too bad he made the poor decision to play for Indiana.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: gyc ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>So, Enigma, I'd like to see you guys win, and think you have a very good chance. Don't hold it against me if I root against you for selfish reasons!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I won't hold it against you... unless I see u at the game sitting on the OTHER side hehe.

The odds are against 'sc this year, but the rivalry always brings out the best in our players. hopefully it'll be enough for a win.

fight on

Enigma
  • Reply 10 of 27
    I'm still pissed about Fresno State! What happened, they run the table at the beginning and then go down to Boise State and Hawaii in consecutive weeks. They were becoming America's team and looked as if they might run the table for a BCS bid. Also, David Carr is awesome and would've been the front runner for Heisman, but now he has no shot. Oregon State has shocked me, after being so good last year and a lot of expectations for Ken Simmonton to run wild this year, they have been mediocre. I personally like the helmets and uniforms they have! Oregon is a great team, I want them to win it all. That Boston College game really hurt Miami's chances, and our running back is going to Oklahoma. Chester Taylor for Heisman!
  • Reply 11 of 27
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'd talk about Cal football, but considering our season I'd just assume talk about next year's team!

Here's to getting sh!t faced for Big Game this Saturday!
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention this:

STANFURD SUCKS!
  • Reply 13 of 27
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]

On an unrelated note: If Antwan Randle-El of Indiana played for Nebraska, he would've won a Heisman already. He's probably the most dangerous QB in the country. Too bad he made the poor decision to play for Indiana.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: gyc ][/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Oh brother!

(boiler here)

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: JRC ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Orygun has a Football team? Just kidding gotta love the running Pickles LOL

I'm a UW fan as in University of Washington and it's my birthright to HATE the Ducks. Can't wait to kick their ass next year!

Anyways I'd rather see Nebby in the Rosebowl over Miami or Florida(I can't stand Floriduh teams) but Eric Crouch is NOT the best collegiate football player. The guy has no arm but really good running skills. Projects as a Saftey in the NFL and not QB.

Dorsey for Heisman...puke. Harrington is a better QB than whiny Dorsey. The Big East is hands down the Conference of Cupcakes.

Shit this year pretty much flat out sucks for Heisman choices. Lot's of good guys but no Bonafide bleeping stud! ala Barry Sanders.

Well I'm outta here for now..can't wait to pound the coogars this Sat.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    [quote]The guy (Eric Crouch) has no arm but really good running skills.<hr></blockquote>

Riiiiight

He's got a better arm than most of the NCAA QBs, you just don't see it much because of his crazy running skills.

He's not an NFL quarterback, for sure, Joey Harrington will rock in the NFL in my opinion.

Which Cougars, hmurch?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Hmurch means the WSU Cougars. I was WSU to win the Apple Cup, just to help UO's BCS situation. Since we didn't play UW, a WSU win would get us both strength of schedule points and quality win points.

As for the Puppies beating the Ducks next year, if I remember right, we currently have you guys' number, so maybe you'll beat us in 2006 or something.

You know, for a long time the Ducks hated the Huskies, but the Ducks weren't good enough for the Huskies to hate them back. Now, the Ducks know they've arrived when UW hates UO more than it hates WSU or USC or UCLA.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    go huskers!
  • Reply 18 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>You know, for a long time the Ducks hated the Huskies, but the Ducks weren't good enough for the Huskies to hate them back. Now, the Ducks know they've arrived when UW hates UO more than it hates WSU or USC or UCLA.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Come one now, everyone hates USC. And if those bastards play their damn song again I don't know what I'll do?!
  • Reply 19 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by Xool:

<strong>

Come one now, everyone hates USC. And if those bastards play their damn song again I don't know what I'll do?!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Heh, if i see Cals band prance around and bump into eachother one more time.... oh wait... i wouldn't mind seeing that again actually - its a lot better than watching any game cal attempts "compete" in. Do they even play any songs? it always seem to be "everyone for themselves"...
  • Reply 20 of 27
    GO! COUGS.