iTunes 8.2.1 now available for download

Comments

• Reply 61 of 218
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Maybe instead they should fix the BUG of high CPU usage in Safari when a Flash is played. That my dearest ppl at 1 Infinty Loop is bug fixing. This bug is know for YEARS !!!!!!!

Um, why would you ask APPLE to fix a bug in ADOBE's software? Flash is ADOBE.
  • Reply 62 of 218
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

You lucky dog. The local AT&T store here DOES NOT offer roll-over minutes with the iPhone

Skip

I find that odd. I would call 611 from your iphone and talk to customer service about changing your plan. I think you should be able too. Let us know what they say.

James
  • Reply 63 of 218
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holywarrior007 View Post

Well I really don't know how it was gaining access, however targeting any third party hardware particularly is a bad practice from the Apple.

How do you know that this is TARGETING any specific hardware, i.e. the Pre? If they're closing up a hole that they never needed to close before, then it simply is making sure that the device, which is supposed to be an iPod, or iPhone, really is one. That's not targeting anything, just improving the verification process that's always been there.

You could also say that unauthorized devices such as a Pre could cause unexpected problems with the software, causing it to crash, act strange, or otherwise not function properly.

Apple is also protecting itself from people who might not know that Palm is doing this without permission or cooperation from Apple, thus saving themselves from unwarranted complaints from Pre customers when problems inevitably occur.
  • Reply 64 of 218
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

C&G created SoundJam, Apple bought Soundjam and created iTunes.There has been too many years and too much growth to iTunes to not give Apple any credit. With your logic Apple didn’t create Mac OS X or iPhone OS X since they bought the OS from NeXT.

OK then MicroSoft created Excel and Word not Lotus or Wordperfect. Microsoft also created Windows.

You can't have it both ways.

Apple bought it - they did not create it. They may have refined it and added to it- but they still did not create it.
  • Reply 65 of 218
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holywarrior007 View Post

iTunes is not a monopoly, but breaking support for Palm Pre is a clear case of monopoly. I am not a fan of Pre but this is a bad practice from the Apple.

First of all, as it’s been stated the Pre was never supported by Apple in iTunes.

Secondly, there is no proof yet that Apple purposely broke iTunes syncing from the Pre in this update. Note that Apple could have made changes to iTunes when this was first announced from Palm or released a point update to anytime within the last month and half since the Pre officially came out. Seems like a long time to wait to do this.

Finally, since the Pre was showing up an iPod so the worst that can be said at this point is that it only broke support for unofficial devices pretending to be iDevices, and pretending to be another company’s product is not exactly the most legal maneuver.
  • Reply 66 of 218
    le studiosle studios Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wwwluckyro View Post

Yep, it breaks Pre syncing. Search for "#pre" on twitter hehe

If Palm can afford to make a Pre then they can afford to invest in their own Software Development to make their own program unless it is truly that useless. I'm put money on useless!
  • Reply 67 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You can't include the taxes in that because they vary.

Its true, taxes vary but what are we talking about? a 1-2 percent variance between states? He said his bill was $172, do you always back out your taxes on your bill?
  • Reply 68 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OK then MicroSoft created Excel and Word not Lotus or Wordperfect. Microsoft also created Windows.

Apple bought it - they did not create it. They may have refined it and added to it- but they still did not create it.

By your logic and limited grasp of the great English lexicon I am sure you believe that. Just as you believe that people who prefer glossy are ignorant and that AT&T hasn?t yet upgrading their network despite the billions invested in adding 3G to 2G areas, faster HSDPA, adding HSUPA, adding more towers, and working to move to a wider spectrum.
  • Reply 69 of 218
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdfisher View Post

If Palm is less stupid than a sack full of hammers, they're already sitting on a (probably lame) sync program already. They'll ship it this week and everyone will praise their responsiveness.

If Palm is less stupid than a sack full of hammers, this was their plan all along.

So we'll probably see PreSync some time in October.

I think the whole thing is a PR war both on the part of Palm and Apple and Palm may have just scored a direct hit.

This kind of stuff points directly to the flaw in Apple's tendency to be secretive. While it's generally a brilliant strategy not to talk about what they are doing and while it's served them very well in the past, now that they have such a high public profile and are in the news all the time, getting new customers etc., I think it works against them in many ways.

For new products its still a great strategy, but for software less so in that smaller developers sometimes get blindsided. Now that Apple is trying to get some of the bigger developers and partners on board the Apple express there is a danger of totally screwing over some of those same partners because they refuse to get into describing a road map in even the most general of terms.

In this specific case, involved as it is with issues of monopoly and market dominance it's just foolish to remain silent IMO. A simple announcement that they are specifically doing this thing for a specific reason, and perhaps even announcing the intention to allow *licensed* syncing of other devices in the future, or even pointing out that iTunes is all XML and can be easily linked to would go a long way. In cases like this the silent secret treatment gives them no upside at all and yet delivers veritable mountains of bad press.

Perhaps Rubenstein was counting on this so he could paint Apple as Goliath and Palm as David with the sling. Knowing Apple and Steve Jobs as he does he likely knew this would happen and will milk it for all the PR he can. (that's assuming that they do have an alternative sync program in the wings).
  • Reply 70 of 218
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why SHOULD Apple be working on a platform for sync, that I suppose you mean would work with competitors devices?

Because that would add value to their operating system. Maybe because it would hurt an operating system competitor - Microsoft. Maybe because it would benefit consumers.

Maybe Apple should be broken up, in order to keep its constituent parts competitive and consumer friendly.

We can see how damaging to consumers and to Microsoft itself keeping Microsoft a single entity was, with hindsight.

Or maybe Apple shouldn't use one part of its business to make another part anti-competitive, and damaging for consumers.

In addition it just creates fuel for the apple-haters out there.
  • Reply 71 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

Its true, taxes vary but what are we talking about? a 1-2 percent variance between states? He said his bill was $172, do you always back out your taxes on your bill?

I do, when it?s not a consistent value that works for the discussion. I pay $69 +tax for my iPhone. There is nothing wrong with that. I think it?s more than just sales tax that varies with phones, but variances in the other taxes, too.
  • Reply 72 of 218
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

When I consider the price of a product or service, I understand that there will be taxes. but I don't use the taxes as a comparison point because they are just a fraction of the total, and don't change the story much from one company to another. But across the country, there are big differences. Here in NYC we pay almost 9% taxes. There are States where there are none.

That's a big difference!
  • Reply 73 of 218
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Perhaps all this will do is open more people's eyes as to what truly awful trash itunes is when they find an alternative.
  • Reply 74 of 218
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

When it released the update Wednesday, Apple was vague about what benefits version 8.2.1 offered users.

"iTunes 8.2.1 provides a number of important bug fixes and addresses an issue with verification of Apple devices," was all a release note stated.

This is one more anti-competitive, senseless, move by Apple, only meant to inforce an ILLEGAL monopoly. In fact, Apple acts just as if it were led by an ignorant, resentful high school graduate, instead of being the large multinational it should be. Success breeds success, and small-minded actions bring ultimate failure. R.I.P., Apple.

• Reply 75 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

If Palm can afford to make a Pre then they can afford to invest in their own Software Development to make their own program unless it is truly that useless. I'm put money on useless!

Well put. All they need is a simple media player with send and fetch functionality for purchases. There are plenty of itunes alternatives. It amazes me people rely so much on something that (to me at least) is so stupid.

BTW, are these updates necessary to continue using the software? What's from stopping someone from NOT upgrading? If it aint broke, don't fix it, know what I mean?
  • Reply 76 of 218
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OK then MicroSoft created Excel and Word

Yes.

Quote:

not Lotus or Wordperfect.

Sure.

Quote:

Microsoft also created Windows.

Right.

Quote:

(head explodes)
  • Reply 77 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yes.

Sure.

Right.

(head explodes)

this made me laugh hard
  • Reply 78 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

BTW, are these updates necessary to continue using the software? What's from stopping someone from NOT upgrading? If it aint broke, don't fix it, know what I mean?

People are acting like Apple?s Software Updater said, ?This update is recommended for anyone using a Palm Pre."
  • Reply 79 of 218
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

This is one more anti-competitive, senseless, move by Apple, only meant to inforce an ILLEGAL monopoly. In fact, Apple acts just as if it were led by an ignorant, resentful high school graduate, instead of being the large multinational it should be. Success breeds success, and small-minded actions bring ultimate failure. R.I.P., Apple.

What monopoly???
  • Reply 80 of 218
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    So now I understand what the "Pre" monicker really means.

"Pre" iTunes!