Google Voice released for Android and BlackBerry, but not iPhone

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Google has released its mobile Voice application for the Android and BlackBerry platforms, but future release of the program on the iPhone will depend on acceptance from Apple and perhaps AT&T.



While iPhone users can currently access Google Voice from the Safari browser, what Android and BlackBerry users received Wednesday was a full-fledged independent application that allows users to make calls, send text messages and check voicemail through their separate Google-provided phone number.



Google would like to release an iPhone version of the application, and is "working with Apple" to do so, according to the New York Times.



One unique element Google is touting is the ability to make international calls at a reduced rate. It also allows for text messages to be sent and received for free through the number, also bypassing the cell phone carrier. Google Voice also transcribes voicemails and reads numbers from the smartphone's phonebook.



These capabilities led Wired to speculate that AT&T and Apple could "cripple" a Google Voice iPhone application. It cites the fact that both companies have blocked video applications and forced Skype to nix a feature allowing free phone calls via the phone's data plan.



Currently, the Google Voice service is available to users by invite only.



The new application addresses one crucial problem with Google Voice: While someone might be able to call a user at their Google Voice number, they would likely receive a return call from the cell, home or office number where the person is available. Through the new program, the outgoing call will now appear as the Google Voice number.



Originally called Grand Central, Google Voice is a service that allows consumers to control a variety of phone numbers via one, centralized number. Through the configurable service, calls can be forwarded to or from any phone number and multiple phones can ring at once.



A blog post announcing the release of Google Voice simply said: "Before you ask, yes, we are working on ways to make this service available to iPhone users."
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 31
    ipedroipedro Posts: 63member
    Gonna give Skype a run for its money?



    The quality of Skype calls to certain countries is unusable, I've had to give up using it.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    fulldecentfulldecent Posts: 108member
    Now that the app store has serious competition (yes, google pushing an app that seamlessly replaces your dialer and allows placing international calls at reduced rates is competition) we will have some transparency in the limitations of the Apple/ATT lockdown.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    fulldecentfulldecent Posts: 108member
    AT&T will slam down this app. Google could open source it, and then wham! distribute on Cydia.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Hi Folks,

    maybe I'm missing something here?

    I have an iPhone 3GS and am using Google Voice.

    Everything works fine
  • Reply 5 of 31
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imixitup View Post


    Hi Folks,

    maybe I'm missing something here?

    I have an iPhone 3GS and am using Google Voice.

    Everything works fine



    Yes, you're missing something. If you call someone's landline from your iPhone -AND you want the call to show as coming from Google Voice - you need to call into Google Voice first, and then dial the number you want to call. Or use a web interface to initiate the call. A Google Voice application would most likely skip the step of having to call your GV number first or making you navigate to a web page.



    On the plus side - if you're calling a friend on their mobile there's a way to dial them directly, and have the call look like it's coming from your GV number. Just direct dial the 406 area code number GV has assigned to your friend's mobile number. How do you know the 406 number? Ask your friend to text you at your GV number and you'll see it. Now you can use that 406 number to direct dial from the phones tied to your GV account. The recipient sees the callerID as your GV number.



    The other thing you're missing: Sending an SMS from your GV number on the iPhone means you have to go into the web interface for GV. Here again the Google Voice app might be more convenient.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    I appreciate learning about what I'm missing. Thanks for the info.

    I agree an App would be nice.

    fingers crossed
  • Reply 7 of 31
    shinrahshinrah Posts: 9member
    I think there is much ado about nothing here to be honest, there are already 2 apps in the app store that are designed for google voice called GV mobile and voicestation if Im not mistaken that handle all of google voice features. Granted these are made by companies other than google but if they have been in the app store for months with multiple updates without incident I dont see why google would have trouble and even further google has been known to have a little more leverage with apple since their search app utilized unpublished APIs when it was initially released.\
  • Reply 8 of 31
    diontewdiontew Posts: 1member
    I just received an invitation last night, will this always be free? I don't think att is feeling the free sms feature, if they released an app with push notifications consumers could save up to 20 bucks a month.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imixitup View Post


    I appreciate learning about what I'm missing. Thanks for the info.

    I agree an App would be nice.

    fingers crossed



    If you picture the app as looking just like the regular phone interface on your iPhone you can see why AT&T would be threatened. And if SMS is built in there's little reason to pay $20 a month to AT&T. The possibility of losing all those twenty dollar bills every month is probably more than AT&T can deal with.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    If you picture the app as looking just like the regular phone interface on your iPhone you can see why AT&T would be threatened. And if SMS is built in there's little reason to pay $20 a month to AT&T. The possibility of losing all those twenty dollar bills every month is probably more than AT&T can deal with.



    I'm just happy to have a NYC area code back for my consulting up there, even though I live in the south now.



    Also nce to have a number for strangers and BS phone requirements when registering from sites.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    4evjade4evjade Posts: 1member
    I don't think google needs to make an App for the iPhone. There is already 3 I know of for the iPhone. I use "GV Mobile". Nice simple app. Has all the settings you'll need on the go. Including the ability to dial out.

    The way the article reads, it almost sounds like the writer does not know how the service works. Google voice is NOT a VOIP service. It's more of an old fashion telephone relay service. To place a call with Google Voice.

    -You choose your contact,

    -That info is sent to the Google Voice server

    -Google voice calls your phone setup in thier system

    -You pick up the phone

    -Google Voice then dials your contact for you



    The only way to save money is to have your office, home & cell dial all at once. Which ever phone your closser to, pick it up. If you pick up from your cell, you still use At&t mins.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    There are apps out right now that do this..



    GV Mobile is one of them done by http://seankovacs.com/
  • Reply 13 of 31
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4evjade View Post


    I don't think google needs to make an App for the iPhone. There is already 3 I know of for the iPhone. I use "GV Mobile". Nice simple app. Has all the settings you'll need on the go. Including the ability to dial out.

    The way the article reads, it almost sounds like the writer does not know how the service works. Google voice is NOT a VOIP service. It's more of an old fashion telephone relay service. To place a call with Google Voice.

    -You choose your contact,

    -That info is sent to the Google Voice server

    -Google voice calls your phone setup in thier system

    -You pick up the phone

    -Google Voice then dials your contact for you



    The only way to save money is to have your office, home & cell dial all at once. Which ever phone your closser to, pick it up. If you pick up from your cell, you still use At&t mins.



    True - it's not VOIP. But what's stopping Google from making it VOIP?



    I agree - people are still using their AT&T voice minutes. The SMS part is currently the biggest threat to AT&T. They're still getting paid for my incoming SMS messages because I have GV set to send them to my true mobile number. But I'll be sending all my outbound SMS through GV. So I'll need about half as many paid SMS messages. AT&T won't like that. Big dents in pure profit.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diontew View Post


    I just received an invitation last night, will this always be free?



    Are you actually expecting an accurate answer to that question?
  • Reply 15 of 31
    dizzy13dizzy13 Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    They're still getting paid for my incoming SMS messages because I have GV set to send them to my true mobile number. But I'll be sending all my outbound SMS through GV. So I'll need about half as many paid SMS messages. AT&T won't like that. Big dents in pure profit.



    If google release an official GV app and it has push, then you won't need anything incoming SMS either. I think the biggest threat to SMS is PUSH.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dizzy13 View Post


    If google release an official GV app and it has push, then you won't need anything incoming SMS either. I think the biggest threat to SMS is PUSH.



    Good. SMS needs a threat. $20 on top of $30 for data is ridiculous. Herb Kohl needs to get to the bottom of this !
  • Reply 17 of 31
    stuffestuffe Posts: 392member
    Am I missing something - web-app?



    No need to anyone's permission, OK it needs net access, but so does Google voice.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    If AT&T offered MMS and tethering, they wouldn't have to worry about Google or other apps. They are bringing this upon themselves because of their sloth-like pace in providing features other phone companies already offer.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

    A blog post announcing the release of Google Voice originally included a reference to the alleged iPhone development, but it was later removed from the page.





    Perhaps, it's just too good for iPhone owners. Or, perhaps, there is something really wrong with the way Apple screens which applications are good enough for you. Is the Great One still on sick leave?





  • Reply 20 of 31
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Can anyone tell me if Google Voice allows sending of texts to groups? I do party promotions and use texting services that are rather expensive to send out a few hundred texts via SMS. If an alternative exists, that would be fantastic.
Sign In or Register to comment.