Analyst says iPhone is lifeblood of AT&T success

Comments

• Reply 61 of 140
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

When I was last in NYC with my 2G I didn't have even the slightest problem at all...

That's because it's not using the 3G network, which is the biggest problem with AT&T.
  • Reply 62 of 140
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    Make an exorbitant amount of shares a part of the next contract renewal. Take a piece of ATT and gain full access to accounts so that activation is more seamless and less problematic. That's what I'd like to see happen. Might be bad for their business though, so perhaps not.
  • Reply 63 of 140
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I've had my 3G for about a year now, and I can't imagine now how I lived without it. Although I am envious of your ability to make videos and use voice commands. I'll have to wait another year before I can get a phone that will do that.

Let's not forget the speed- it blazes!

The compass is great too- especially after I've had one too many here in NYC.
  • Reply 64 of 140
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I'm happy with AT&T, granted I've only been with them for a month now. I bought an iPhone 3G S on launch day (stood in line for three hours). I haven't had a problem with the phone or AT&T's service.

Now granted, I live in Garner, NC (just south of Raleigh) and 3G data and voice coverage is wonderful. I get full 3G in Garner, Raleigh, Cary or just about any area I travel during the day. Most of the places I travel to see family (Greensboro/Burlington, NC and Charlotte, NC) have good 3G coverage as well.

The only time I wasn't able to get 3G is when I was in Holden Beach, NC and I had to fallback to EDGE.

My only "minor" gripe with AT&T is that their customer service lags behind Alltel (who I switched from). I could call Alltel about an account issue and have someone on the phone immediately. I have to wait 4-5 minutes with AT&T.

Also, it took me two calls to get them to bock text messaging completely on my iPhone -- I'm paying for unlimited data (and thus full email capabilities), there's no way in hell that I'm going to give them EXTRA money for stupid texting (let the kiddies play with that *&^%).

For those of you planning to jump ship, good luck to you. I'm happy where I'm at... for now
  • Reply 65 of 140
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Also, it took me two calls to get them to bock text messaging completely on my iPhone -- I'm paying for unlimited data (and thus full email capabilities), there's no way in hell that I'm going to give them EXTRA money for stupid texting (let the kiddies play with that *&^%).

For those of you planning to jump ship, good luck to you. I'm happy where I'm at... for now

Funny I have both data and texting and prefer the texting. I must just be used to it and I really like the iChat look of it. So if someone texts you to your phone number do you get any notification of it? How did people get texts last year ? Did they go to the email adress?
  • Reply 66 of 140
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

That's because it's not using the 3G network, which is the biggest problem with AT&T.

After upgrading to the 3GS I'd have to say I've actually had FEWER problems in terms of connections than I had with my 2G...
  • Reply 67 of 140
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why do I always seem to be validated lately?

Validated in what way? Complaining the iPhone is too slow and getting a faster one two years later, complaining that AT&T sucks and having others with occasional issues or constant issues in certain areas is not the result of your clairvoyance. It?s only you complaining about wanting something that will occur eventually.

You are probably even claiming that Apple has ?listened to you? about glossy screen sucking because there is a rumour that they me including matte as an option. The rational people here that do prefer glossy have stated that the option for users would be nice, but your absolute statements about glossy screens suck for all users, that they don?t look better than matte in any regard, agreeing that those who prefer glossy are ignorant.

For you to validated you?ll have to actually make logical, rational, balanced claims; not hyperbolic whinefests about Apple being doomed. You can?t see the difference in the same way Michael Bay doesn?t realize that good CGI doesn?t equal a plot or storyline.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Make an exorbitant amount of shares a part of the next contract renewal. Take a piece of ATT and gain full access to accounts so that activation is more seamless and less problematic. That's what I'd like to see happen. Might be bad for their business though, so perhaps not.

My ?in the box? reaction is now way, since there has never been a mobile vendor do such a thing. But do I think it?s likely that Apple has at least entertained the idea since they do like to control the whole experience. That is not to say that Apple would partner with AT&T and make the iPhone the only device on the network, but getting more control over part of the ecosystem is obviously something Apple would like, assuming it was a viable business move which I?m not sure it is.

Care to build on your idea more?
  • Reply 68 of 140
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chipr View Post

Uhh definitely agree with previous post, no SIM is what makes me NOT want ANY CDMA phone!! What happens when my phone dies and I need to switch into another phone immediately?? Uhh yea I'd be calling my CDMA provider.

I've had to do that and it took about 15 minutes on the phone to Verizon. And they keep your contacts online for you so as soon as the new phone arrives it synchs up just like MobileMe,

ATT coverage is atrocious in my neighborhood, but since it's been pointed out that a Verizon iPhone would be on a new and unproven network I won't be the first one to jump from the fat to the fire.
  • Reply 69 of 140
    dylerdyler Posts: 37member
    Yes I was going to say the same thing, the Iphone will only come to version if a few things happen.

1. Verizon does not tell their manufacturers how to build handsets.

2. Verizon lets go of their own new app store for Apple's on the Iphone.

3. Verizon changes their network to support the iphone.

These are the demands that Apple had when the Iphone first came out and offered it to Verizon but they said now, I cannot see them relaxing these to get the Iphone now so therefore the Iphone will never be a Verizon phone. Also for the NYC guy who claims he does not get a good signal in the city, I am there all the time with my 2g, 3g, and now my 3gs and never have any issues. You may be in a building that is blocking cell phone signals because of the construction, but I have full bars pretty much everywhere I go including, upstate NY, Maine, Boston, Rural Mass, and in Cali where I live way North. So it's not ATT there is something else going on with you that you are not taking into consideration!!!
  • Reply 70 of 140
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Funny I have both data and texting and prefer the texting. I must just be used to it and I really like the iChat look of it. So if someone texts you to your phone number do you get any notification of it? How did people get texts last year ? Did they go to the email adress?

(ad hom removed)

I know you pass the day being a idiot, but text works just fine on the Iphone. If you ever had one you would know. How do people get texts you ask. You buy them of course With ATT they charge you extra for text up to unlimited family plan for $20. If you think ATT will match Sprints price you obviously are clueless about market share. ATT better then any other network finally has a phone which uses their network so they can determine rational pricing for the consumer. I would love to see it come down, but I doubt it. By the way what does Verizon charge?
  • Reply 71 of 140
    bizlawbizlaw Posts: 13member
    One important difference all of these articles seems to ignore is that on AT&T, you can use 3G services (like Maps, Safari) while talking on the phone. You can't do that on Verizon and Sprint.

Add a few million iPhones to Verizon's network and it will slow down too.

You won't see an iPhone for Verizon until they fully build out a nationwide 4G network. Apple isn't going to build a CDMA phone, and if Verizon does a slow 4G rollout, Apple can't let Verizon sell an iPhone that loses coverage outside major metro areas (if the phone were to have to drop down to CDMA b/c no 4G coverage).

Plus, Steve Jobs is probably still pissed at Verizon, which should add a couple of years to Verizon getting the iPhone.http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/lol.gif
  • Reply 72 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyler View Post

Yes I was going to say the same thing, the Iphone will only come to version if a few things happen.

These are the demands that Apple had when the Iphone first came out and offered it to Verizon but they said now, I cannot see them relaxing these to get the Iphone now so therefore the Iphone will never be a Verizon phone. Also for the NYC guy who claims he does not get a good signal in the city, I am there all the time with my 2g, 3g, and now my 3gs and never have any issues. You may be in a building that is blocking cell phone signals because of the construction, but I have full bars pretty much everywhere I go including, upstate NY, Maine, Boston, Rural Mass, and in Cali where I live way North. So it's not ATT there is something else going on with you that you are not taking into consideration!!!

With the popularity of the iPhone and Verizon?s inability to get a real iPhone competitor up yet I can see them giving into to Apple while allowing their other vendor?s phones to be on the same platform. That won?t make the others happy, but with millions of sales with guaranteed data plans from a proven device that isn?t the major issue it once was for Verizon.
  • Reply 73 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bizlaw View Post

One important difference all of these articles seems to ignore is that on AT&T, you can use 3G services (like Maps, Safari) while talking on the phone. You can't do that on Verizon and Sprint.

That often gets overlooked and it?s one of those features that you take for granted until you don?t have it, like if you have dropped to EDGE and are trying to do both. I don?t use voice much, but when I do I am usually having to access Safari, Mail or some other app that uses the web to get information.
  • Reply 74 of 140
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyler View Post

It would be much easier for Apple to add a CDMA chip from Qualcomm then for Verizon to change their network, but I seriously doubt Apple will waste their time chasing after CDMA when the technology is rapidly approaching EOL. That would be like spending your R&D on Windows XP. As far as the App store and Apple I think it's a non-starter but would watch what happens in China to see if Apple is willing to negotiate on the App store revenue share with carriers.

I think in the short term it's a pipe dream to think you will see the 3GS Iphone on the Verizon network. Apple is moving customers from other networks to ATT and ATT is paying a premium to Apple for these customers. If the Iphone is available on all the US networks the premium per iphone will go down, so I'm sure the financial analyst at Apple continually look at the sales numbers and future handset subsidies and play the carriers off each other in all the negotiations. Once LTE is the dominate technology the game will change but that is really in the 2011/12 timeframe since you'll need a fall back network like Edge/HSPA or CDMA/
  • Reply 75 of 140
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If the iPhone's exclusivity with AT&T were to expire, one market research firm predicts that the cell phone carrier would suffer due to the superior network offered by competitor Verizon Wireless.

This week, Pali Research released a prediction that AT&T will net less than 1 million new subscribers in 2010, compared with the 4 million it gained in 2008. The report operates under the assumption that the iPhone will leap to Verizon's network once the contract has expired.

The statement comes as AT&T is pushing to keep Apple's phone exclusively on their network through 2011. The Wall Street Journal has reported, through anonymous sources, that CEO Randall Stephenson is currently negotiating with Apple. iPhone-AT&T exclusivity in the U.S. expires next year.

If Pali Research is to be believed, AT&T's future could depend on retention of the iPhone, making Stephenson's alleged negotiations all the more crucial.

"As the iPhone exclusivity period rolls off between AT&T Wireless and Apple, a material number of AT&T customers will flock to Verizon?s superior network," the firm states. "We estimate that nearly a third of AT&T?s post-paid customers are being retained by AT&T primarily because of the iPhone exclusivity."

The market research firm based its conclusion on two recent studies that show AT&T has 3G speeds that lag behind Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. The study from Wired, with a sampling of 12,000 mobile phone customers, demonstrated that AT&T has an average download speed of 901 Kbps. Another survey from PC World corroborated those results.

This, despite numerous attempts by the company to boost bandwidth capacity for the iPhone and the network's influx of users.

This year, it was estimated that a third of AT&T's new customers are switching solely because of the iPhone. The same study from ChangeWave suggests that AT&T customers are also less likely to switch carriers.

Pali Research recently gave investors a buy rating for Verizon and sell for AT&T, based on the latter's dependence on the iPhone.

"Our Buy rating on Verizon is based on our view that its market share gains will lead to profit growth that tops other telecom companies and Wall Street consensus estimates," the firm said in June. "Our Sell rating on AT&T is based primarily on our belief that its wireless business will enter a prolonged period of erosion after being propped up by the iPhone for the past two years."

This analyst must be some bean counter that is clueless about carrier technology, wireless voice and data. ATT is using UMT/3G which is an asynchronous wide band (5 MHz) version of the synchronous 1.25 MHz CDMA that VZ uses. The really big difference is that VZ uses - mostly - a separate channel for data called EVDO... this way, hi data rates do not degrade voice. To sum it up, the VZ tech is much more efficient than what ATT uses. This mess was created because the European carriers, particularly Nokia and Ericsson tried to bypass QCOM's CDMA with their own version called WCDMA... but basically lost. Still they diluted QCOM IPRs and royalties.

However, CDMA/EVDO is used only by 20% of the subscribers in the world at best. It is dominant in the US, parts of the Americas, S. Korea, Any phone designed for VZ will have to have GSM/EDGE or even WCDMA to roam worldwide... I suspect it will add another $25-50/phone to the cost.

I think that Apple is playing hardball with ATT and using the threat of the VZ deal to squeeze ATT. It would make sense to add T-Mobile here in the US and worldwide as well, particularly in EU. Like many have said, VZ is not desperate enough to give up their control over the phones. The other phone makes will ask for the same control as well. VZ store stinks anyway.
  • Reply 76 of 140
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Here's the deal. I never had texting with my old flip phone on Alltel. I've never seen the point of it and have always refused to pay for it. I specifically had it blocked, so all of my friends know not to text me.

Now when I got my iPhone, I told them I didn't want texting. However, within an hour of activating my phone (with a new phone number mind you), I got two texts about some stupid Jonas Brothers concert from some number that I didn't even recognize. After I found out that I was being charged per text for these unwanted messages, I called AT&T and told them to disable that *&^#. They also said that I could call back after receiving my first bill to have those texting charges removed.

Now, I don't get text messages at all. No notifications, no nothing.

If I need to talk to someone, I give them a call, leave them a voicemail, or send them an email. If you can't answer your phone/respond to a voicemail, or respond to an email, you're worthless to me anyway
  • Reply 77 of 140
    anmarkleanmarkle Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jedialan View Post

Besides the reliability of the network, Verizon has vastly superior customer service over AT & T. My year with AT & T was the absolute worst customer service experience I have ever had with any company with any product/service. I've been with both and Verizon is by far the best.

I have had a totally different experience with Verizon Customer Service. I had a billing problem that went on for months and every CS rep I spoke to at Verizon was rude and ultra arrogant. They had no problem ridiculing me and blaming me for their obvious errors. One day, after spending over an hour trying to get the issue resolved the rep told me that if I was so unhappy i could just cancel my service but be prepared to pay a termination fee. At this point I was so enraged I jumped up from my desk and left work in the middle of the day and headed straight to my local Verizon office and cancelled all my phones (I had 4). There was also someone else waiting there to do the same thing for the very same reasons. I then went to AT&T and signed up for my first iPhone and I haven't looked back.

You talk as if it is a fact that Verizon has "vastly superior customer service" but it s only your opinion. My opinion is that Verizon has the worst customer service of all the carriers. It is all a matter of perception.
  • Reply 78 of 140
    frapplefrapple Posts: 2member
    Well... duh. I switched form Verizon for an iPhone, and the femto-second I can switch back I will. I never really believed just how different the quality of connection and data rates could be between major carriers until I switched. As much as I love my iPhone, if AT&T somehow managed to stay exclusive until 2011, I think I will end up punting on the iPhone. Ultimately, I value the phone service over everything else.
  • Reply 79 of 140
    Just last night I was discussing AT&T's incredibly poor service here in the Silicon Valley area with a colleague of mine. We both work in tech and recently switched from other (way better) service providers. Why? Because we wanted the features the iPhone has to offer.

We exchanged notes on the terrible service here. It's almost impossible to converse for an extended period of time without dropping a call. We both talked about the experience of sitting in a chair in your house with what seems like a good connection, and then you move an inch to right and BAM!.....the call instantly dissappears. Also we both talked about locations on Highways 101, 280 or 17 where every single time you drive by a certain spot, you'll loose your call.

You'd think that with Apple's HQ being located here and with so many tech companies AT&T's service would be spectacular. It's shit. With all the money they must be raking in in from people who want the iPhone, you'd think they'd be investing rapidly in upgrading their service. Yet in my home in here in the South Bay, I can rarely make a call, sometimes even when I step outside the house. And I live in a suburb of Silicon Valley. I get much more reliable service in Kansas City (Sprint's HQ - where I travel to frequently), and some other cities, but even then it's not as good my old Treo with Sprint service.

So I have to agree based on conversations I have had with quite a few people. The day the iPhone goes to another carrier, whether it's Verizon or someone else, people will leave AT&T in droves.
  • Reply 80 of 140
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I think if Apple wants to extend its market share switching to all carriers will solve the problem. To avoid collapse of ATT, Apple needs to give iPhone to Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. This way every one can compete with their pricing and speeds. I think that's the smartest way to compete.

I am starting to come around to this type of thinking. If Verizon insists on

crippling the iPhone, or adding nickel and dime charges for iPhone

features, or interfering with seamless access to iPhone apps on iTunes, these

will be negative comparison points relative to their competitors. If people

want to stick with Verizon, in spite of these types of shortcomings, and if

Verizon pays Apple the same subsidy as AT&T, maybe it would all be good.

The biggest stumbling block is probably Apple's requirement for a superior

overall user experience. They have already been blamed for some of AT&T's

shortcomings, so they may not want to be blamed for those of other phone

companies, in addition.