Final Cut upgrades boast more than 100 new features

Comments

• Reply 41 of 119
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Nah, Apple has been showing obvious signs of becoming luke warm towards authoring video on DVD. Apple won't release any major new applications for it.

Apple has added publishing directly to YouTube, MobileMe, and the iPhone right in Final Cut Pro. This shows what direction Apple is headed in. Publishing video to the web is more convenient, cheaper, and easier than authoring and burning DVD's.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Maybe Apple is working on a new application (Disk Studio Pro) to replace DVD Studio Pro that will let us author DVD and Blu-ray disks. This would move FCS 3 to FCS 3.5 and would happen after the Mac Pro gets a hardware refresh, offering us a Blu-ray disk as a CTO option.

• Reply 42 of 119
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

I like the way the screenshots now have glare on them to simulate how glossy apples screens are now

I think it's to compensate for UI that hasn't changed much since the 1999 version. It's the only app on my Mac that feels like Mac OS 9 app.

Lack of native AVCHD is a big disappointment, as with lack of 64-bit and still crummy browser window.
  • Reply 43 of 119
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I don't know why they did not include it natively. My guess would be AVCHD is a consumer format that is not supported on any professional video camera.

It is 64 bit.

The basic layout of all professional nonlinear editing systems have been basically the same for nearly 20 years. What do you expect them to do differently? What makes you think most editors want it to change?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Lack of native AVCHD is a big disappointment, as with lack of 64-bit and still crummy browser window.

• Reply 44 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

And what the hell ever happened to the successor to Shake?

From Ron Brinkman, one of the original Shake designers who worked at Apple:

"I really can?t say much about where Apple may or may not be going with future products. Although the fact that I decided it was time to move on might be a reasonable clue as to my confidence level that any alleged ?next generation? tool will be focused on the market (high end vfx and animation) that I?m interested in? And why I?m now working with The Foundry on Nuke?"

I would say there will never be a successor to Shake. Nuke, on the other hand, is going through the roof, and is quickly becoming the industry standard. Since Shake used to be the industry standard, and Apple has allowed it to die on the vine, I would say their interest in competing in this marketplace is zero.
  • Reply 45 of 119
    djdjdjdj Posts: 74member
    Still not 64-bit, though. That's ridiculous. Not interested.

(For anyone who doesn't know what that means, it means that no matter how much RAM your computer has, FCP can't use more than about 2 GB of it. Editing HD video with only 2 GB of RAM available is a nightmare.)

Adobe's already got 64-bit editing with Premiere Pro (and Photoshop, and After Effects) on Windows. Apple really needs to do the same.
  • Reply 46 of 119
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Who in their right mind is gonna invest their hard earned dollar in Apple video software anymore ? People complain about Adobe not being Cocoa and 64bit yet Apple is even worse. Motion 4 ? Are you kidding me ? How is that gonna touch in ANY way After Effects ?

I'm sorry but im done wih FINAL CUT STUDIO. Only good app in there is Final Cut and they know it , thats why they bundle it with crap.

export to youtube and mobileme is just an insult.
  • Reply 47 of 119
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

Who in their right mind is gonna invest their hard earned dollar in Apple video software anymore ? People complain about Adobe not being Cocoa and 64bit yet Apple is even worse. Motion 4 ? Are you kidding me ? How is that gonna touch in ANY way After Effects ?

I'm sorry but im done wih FINAL CUT STUDIO. Only good app in there is Final Cut and they know it , thats why they bundle it with crap.

export to youtube and mobileme is just an insult.

Probably the thousands of editors and producers earning their bread with a FCS workflow.
  • Reply 48 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Probably the thousands of editors and producers earning their bread with a FCS workflow.

yea and watch it to decline soon. Aperture was also some time ago somewhere at the top and now there's just no way anyone will chose it over Lightroom.

Motion 4 was to be AE killer and has come and gone without any dent to AE.

Shake is gone ,and if Shake's original designer is to be believed gone without succesor.

Soundtracks Pro 2 cost me many nights working overtime cuz it crashes so much that i have to save every 2 minutes. Look at the Soundtrack forums and you'll see. Its worse than Motion 1 ever was.

FCS workflow is becoming FC and compressor and off we go to CS4. Now with if i have time and become Premiere trained as i'm FC trained i'm dumping FC alltogether.

i'm sorry but waiting 2 years for an update and we get youtube and mobileme crap in PRO apps and THIS close to snow leo ? At least 64 bit and multi core aware throughout the suite was given i thought.
  • Reply 49 of 119
    Quote:

yea and watch it to decline soon. Aperture was also some time ago somewhere at the top and now there's just no way anyone will chose it over Lightroom.

Motion 4 was to be AE killer and has come and gone without any dent to AE.

Shake is gone ,and if Shake's original designer is to be believed gone without succesor.

Soundtracks Pro 2 cost me many nights working overtime cuz it crashes so much that i have to save every 2 minutes. Look at the Soundtrack forums and you'll see. Its worse than Motion 1 ever was.

FCS workflow is becoming FC and compressor and off we go to CS4. Now with if i have time and become Premiere trained as i'm FC trained i'm dumping FC alltogether.

i'm sorry but waiting 2 years for an update and we get youtube and mobileme crap in PRO apps and THIS close to snow leo ? At least 64 bit and multi core aware throughout the suite was given i thought.

Lightroom always had more users than Aperture.

Motion was NEVER promoted as a AE Killer

Shake successor - Buy Nuke

STP 2 - definite issues. Hopefully 3.0 improves stability.

Premier ain't bad.

FCS3 didn't live up to my "dreams" but then again I couldn't see Apple delivering a new major revamp of a Pro app sitting on a new major revamp of an OS. FCS is Leopard only so most of the pavement has been layed and moving it into Snow Leopard shouldn't be too hard.
  • Reply 50 of 119
    Speaking with Apple, they confirmed that the new Final Cut Studio will work with Snow. They did not say if it was 64.

Park
  • Reply 51 of 119
    The telling thing for me (being a college student who can't afford a full blown MBP with the dedicated graphics card is that the new system requirements seem to state that only non-integrated INTEL video cards won't do. So the NVidea 9400's will work? I guess I can see this if they optimized the code, but I was a little surprised by this one and am now seriously considering getting one of the lower end 13 or 15 inch MBPs. I know I won't be able to run Motion or Color flawlessly but it is sure is nice to know that I'm supposed to be able to run it as opposed to watching it load for a half hour on a non-supported setup (as I've heard).

Also, I haven't checked out pricing in a while, but I remember that the academic pricing for the pro apps used to be about a 50% cut. Now the new FCS and Logic suites are only reduced 10% or so? I guess this seems to be more in line with the rest of the academic pricing in the store, but that sure is not much of a discount for an academic version which (at last check) was not allowed to be upgraded and (legally) sold to someone else later on.
  • Reply 52 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

Speaking with Apple, they confirmed that the new Final Cut Studio will work with Snow. They did not say if it was 64.

Park

Mike Curtis' review on Macworld.com seems to reference that it will run on Snow Leopard as is with slight benefit.

We'll likely have to wait a year until we get a Snow Leopard savvy version.
  • Reply 53 of 119
    blippioblippio Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

I like the way the screenshots now have glare on them to simulate how glossy apples screens are now

Yeah I noticed that too. But I distinctly *don't* like it! (no offense)
  • Reply 54 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I don't know why they did not include it natively. My guess would be AVCHD is a consumer format that is not supported on any professional video camera.

It is 64 bit.

The basic layout of all professional nonlinear editing systems have been basically the same for nearly 20 years. What do you expect them to do differently? What makes you think most editors want it to change?

There is AVC-Intra support. I believe AVCHD is a version of H.264.

Please don't change the interface. Like with Pro Tools, I already know where the buttons are.
  • Reply 55 of 119
    blakekblakek Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Park

I just talked to an Apple engineer and he said that "it is not 64-bit but there will likely be an update to make it 64-bit though I can't say that there will be one for sure."
  • Reply 56 of 119
    cuttercutter Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Park

What a relief. Apple's own software will run on its OS.
  • Reply 57 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutter View Post

What a relief. Apple's own software will run on its OS.

No 64 bit , no Open CL and no Grand Central support.

IS this what took 2 years ?

Now if Adobe comes through ( which i have my doubts , especially Mac version ) but if they do , support 64bit in CS5 and make multithreading even better we're gonna be entering in dark ages of Adobe monopoly.
  • Reply 58 of 119
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Who in their right mind is gonna invest their hard earned dollar in Apple video software anymore ?

Hyperbole.

Quote:

People complain about Adobe not being Cocoa and 64bit yet Apple is even worse.

Agreed.

Quote:

I guess you've never used Color. If you have and still think its crap, cool, if you haven't take my word, it is not crap.
  • Reply 59 of 119
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Dang! This package is such a good Effin deal!!!

$999 for all that?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

yep. bit of a shocker really that they dropped the price point on this rather than staying steady like before.

It seems like the same thing they did with Final Cut Express, when they dropped the price, they dropped LiveType too. The page I can find on Apple's site still refers to the previous version of Final Cut Studio.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Man, they updated Logic Express but not Final Cut Express. =/

I have never seen FCE updated the same time as FCS. It's usually separated by a month or two.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcZero View Post

The telling thing for me (being a college student who can't afford a full blown MBP with the dedicated graphics card is that the new system requirements seem to state that only non-integrated INTEL video cards won't do. So the NVidea 9400's will work? I guess I can see this if they optimized the code, but I was a little surprised by this one and am now seriously considering getting one of the lower end 13 or 15 inch MBPs. I know I won't be able to run Motion or Color flawlessly but it is sure is nice to know that I'm supposed to be able to run it as opposed to watching it load for a half hour on a non-supported setup (as I've heard).

Intel integrated graphics probably wasn't going to cut it. I would say that the 9400s would work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

I guess you've never used Color. If you have and still think its crap, cool, if you haven't take my word, it is not crap.

Color looks to be very powerful from the demonstrations I've seen, but it's still blindsided by poor UI. My look at it is from the previous version, it looks like Apple may have improved it for the new version. It just did not look or behave like an OS X app. It looks and behaves a lot more like an X11 style app from the 90's. If you're used to X11, then it's probably OK, but it is very out of place compared to regular OS X apps and the rest of the studio.
  • Reply 60 of 119
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonglaji View Post

still no navtive AVCHD edit?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Native AVCHD probably isn't a very good idea if you are at all concerned about render time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Panasonic has at least two pro camcorders that are primarily AVCHD, maybe a few others that will record as AVCHD as an option.

Quote:

There is AVC-Intra support. I believe AVCHD is a version of H.264.

AVC-I and AVCHD both use the same core AVC standard, but other than that, they aren't all that related. The most significant difference for editing is that AVC-I encodes every frame by itself, AVCHD records several intermediate frames in a larger group of pictures. And it's pretty processor intensive to compute those intermediate frames.