Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as September

1356711

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 202
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    As much as I've been looking forward to it, I have to admit I've had the same thought.

    No doubt Apple has done tons of usability testing on it, but I'm trying to envision a comfortable use position for a 10" device.

    If you multiply the weight of the iPhone by about 3 (which is what 10" seems to come out to) it feels a bit heavy to hold in one hand.

    Laying flat on a table would seem to require that your eyes be pretty much right above it, which doesn't sound too ergonomic for the neck.

    I can see bluetooth keyboard and some sort of built in stand, but at that point, what's the purpose? You just have a tiny desktop system.

    I really am curious to see how they've approached this. Should be interesting.



    Totally agree. 7" or so would be a better choice. Then it can be comfortably thumb-typed on just like the iPhone but be big enough to actually do work on and see whole web pages. Personally, I'm still hoping that they are making a new "MacBook" at the same time as the tablet and that the 10" screens are for that project, not the tablet.



    I just want a decent portable writing and drawing device. I've been waiting since I saw my first Commodore 64 and it still hasn't happened yet. I wish they'd get their fingers out and do it already.
  • Reply 42 of 202
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I don't believe it. If this imaginary device is to run App Store apps, none of them will work because they're all written for the wrong display size. If it is to run regular old OSX, then maybe.



    Nah... when you code your app you don't say "Make it 320x480." You say make it the available size of the screen. Granted with a larger display you might have to rethink the UI if Apple then allows more than 1 column in a UITableView. That we'll just have to see what the response is.
  • Reply 43 of 202
    I think 7" would not be large enough to differentiate the tablet from the Touch/iPhone, making it hard to justify the product. That, and we already know that Apple has been purchasing a boatload of 10" LCD screens.

    In terms of which OS the tablet would be running, I would be very surprised if it ran an off-the-shelf Snow Leopard install. Since it is likely to be targeted as an entertainment device, I would expect a mutilated/modified version of OSX just like what Apple did with the AppleTV, and probably some sort of leveraging of the iPhone API.
  • Reply 44 of 202
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Totally agree. 7" or so would be a better choice. Then it can be comfortably thumb-typed on just like the iPhone but be big enough to actually do work on and see whole web pages. Personally, I'm still hoping that they are making a new "MacBook" at the same time as the tablet and that the 10" screens are for that project, not the tablet.



    I just want a decent portable writing and drawing device. I've been waiting since I saw my first Commodore 64 and it still hasn't happened yet. I wish they'd get their fingers out and do it already.



    There is no rule stating that keyboards must span the entire screen. If they wanted to include the ability to easily thumb type on 10" screen they could split the keyboard down the middle and align the split keyboard with the right and left edges of the screen. It would work best in landscape mode as portrait mode would be so tall that holding the computer by the botton edge would be an invitation to drop it.
  • Reply 45 of 202
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    If this is true then we should have an Apple special event with Steve Jobs no less. That would occur no later than the end of August.
  • Reply 46 of 202
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,744member
    It's pretty clear that we have absolutely no idea how Apple will implement this or what form it will take.



    Legions of people doubted Apple's iPhone idea before release. No one would have believed you could pull off typing on a multitouch screen. Yet look where we are now. Same goes for so many of Apple's other products.



    For all of you who are saying "I don't see how . . ", "this won't work", etc., don't worry. Apple engineers and designers are probably MILES ahead of you at this point, if in fact Apple will release a tablet-like device in the near future.



    This is 2009. Not 1994. Rule of thumb: Always bet on Apple, and then let the chips fall where they may. It's the safst bet from the get-go. After all, who else do you think is going to pull it off??
  • Reply 47 of 202
    ijeepijeep Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post


    Apple schedules a conference hall for September 25, 2009.



    *The meeting starts*



    "Announcing your insanely great CEO, Steve Jobs!"



    Steve Jobs walks on stage.



    "Hello."



    *crowd cheers*



    "Snow Leopard is the next great thing. And it goes on sale, today."



    WOOOOOOOOO



    "One more thing."



    *cheers*



    "We have been looking at the iPhone, and we've been looking at the MacBook, and we've been wondering, 'People are taking these two portable devices with them everywhere. Is there some way we can put them together?' So we thought about it, and this is what we came up with. It's called the Apple MacBook Wave."



    *cheers*



    "It comes pre-loaded with Snow Leopard, and built-in GPS and 4G cellular capabilities. And it's going on sale today, for just $799. The most inexpensive MacBook ever."



    BOOM



    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO



    Yep, that sound just right. I just doubt that they gonna call it MacBook Wave, since Google Wave is lurking around the corner. My bet is either MacBook Touch or simply MacTouch.
  • Reply 48 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I don't believe it. If this imaginary device is to run App Store apps, none of them will work because they're all written for the wrong display size. If it is to run regular old OSX, then maybe.





    Cause you can't watch 4:3 on a 16:9 screen.

    And you really can't put a 16:9 in a 4:3. Cause who would want access to their dock at all times. Be able to type while still being able to see WHERE you are typing. I think you make a valid point. It's just impossible. I tried hooking up my SNES to my Plasma, it just didn't work. It's weird, my Nintendo refused to let me play in on a screen ratio it wasn't intended for.
  • Reply 49 of 202
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post


    You could be right

    - they could introduce the new ipods in September, which would sell well for xmas



    - a new product category introduced at the start of their peak season might confuse the customers - as most people would be trying to figure out what to do with it (myself included)



    - so a January infroduction might allow for a smoother, less disruptive introduction.



    BTW, anyone else think that 10" seems a little on the large side?



    I agree waiting for CSS makes sense (not that I wouldn't like one in my hand, yesterday)



    As far as 10" too big... I really wonder what is meant by the 10" reports (rumors). If 10" is the diagonal measurement of the entire unit; then that's perfect. A single sheet of paper, folded in half (try it). Still small enough to be held in one hand with the standard hand grasp by most average sized hands.

    If 10" is the "screen size", then the overall unit size is too big, in my opinion.
  • Reply 50 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post


    I agree waiting for CSS makes sense (not that I wouldn't like one in my hand, yesterday)



    As far as 10" too big... I really wonder what is meant by the 10" reports (rumors). If 10" is the diagonal measurement of the entire unit; then that's perfect. A single sheet of paper, folded in half (try it). Still small enough to be held in one hand with the standard hand grasp by most average sized hands.

    If 10" is the "screen size", then the overall unit size is too big, in my opinion.



    A 9.7 or 10-inch screen in 1280 x 720 or so would be perfect for Apple's preferred HD format. Having about the same pixel density as the current iPhone but not having to drop any data for full screen movies. That size would also be great for a book reader, especially if the bezel was small, at least compared to the Kindle. I would expect 3G wireless but it may be only WiFi. It is possible if it is 3G apple would allow for multiple modem cards to be available so you are not tied to one carrier. There should be lots more room for this approach than in the iPhone. Current iPhone apps could be letter-boxed or zoomed to fit the screen. Future apps could be allowed to take into account different screen sizes.
  • Reply 51 of 202
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally626 View Post


    A 9.7 or 10-inch screen in 1280 x 720 or so would be perfect for Apple's preferred HD format. Having about the same pixel density as the current iPhone but not having to drop any data for full screen movies. That size would also be great for a book reader, especially if the bezel was small, at least compared to the Kindle. I would expect 3G wireless but it may be only WiFi. It is possible if it is 3G apple would allow for multiple modem cards to be available so you are not tied to one carrier. There should be lots more room for this approach than in the iPhone. Current iPhone apps could be letter-boxed or zoomed to fit the screen. Future apps could be allowed to take into account different screen sizes.



    Yeah, but how do you hold a unit like that?



    If this is a touch screen device, it seems to me that you have to be able to hold it in the manner that you would hold an iPhone / Touch. In other words; it still has to be palmable.
  • Reply 52 of 202
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post


    I agree waiting for CSS makes sense (not that I wouldn't like one in my hand, yesterday)



    As far as 10" too big... I really wonder what is meant by the 10" reports (rumors). If 10" is the diagonal measurement of the entire unit; then that's perfect. A single sheet of paper, folded in half (try it). Still small enough to be held in one hand with the standard hand grasp by most average sized hands.

    If 10" is the "screen size", then the overall unit size is too big, in my opinion.



    10" would be the screen size, as the rumor was that Apple ordered 10" screens months ago. Although I doubt that such a product would have a large bezel, so the entire device shouldn't be much larger.
  • Reply 53 of 202
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    There is no rule stating that keyboards must span the entire screen. If they wanted to include the ability to easily thumb type on 10" screen they could split the keyboard down the middle and align the split keyboard with the right and left edges of the screen.



    That's a neat idea. I'm not so sure I would like it personally, as I never quite got the hang of those Microsoft keyboards that are similarly separated.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post


    It would work best in landscape mode as portrait mode would be so tall that holding the computer by the botton edge would be an invitation to drop it.



    I was more concerned about being able to type on it while it's actually in your hands.



    There have long been solutions for typing on a tablet if you assume it's on your lap or on a table. Lots of tablets also have stands and external keyboards already also. The chief drawback ergonomically speaking IMO is that you can't hold it in one hand or even two hands and operate it. A truly mobile computer you should be able to use standing up on the bus or train and no tablet I've ever seen can do that.



    The iPhone is excellent for that, but it suffers from a tiny screen and keyboard and the fact that no one has seen fit to write a proper word processor for it yet.* A bigger device is needed, but if it's too big to thumb type on or, as you say, so big as to be heavy to hold that way, it seems like a loser to me, (at least as a portable writing tablet.) It may be that they are just thinking of a movie playing device and not a writing tablet at all.





    * As an aside, I find it amazingly stupid that with all the talk about the app store and how great the apps are for iPhone that no one has written a basic word processor that works or even a decent integrated contact manager or daytimer. A thousand fart apps does not a platform make and the quality and quantity of actual apps (once the silly games and dreck is removed) in the app store is in reality quite low IMO, despite media reports to the contrary.
  • Reply 54 of 202
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    It's pretty clear that we have absolutely no idea how Apple will implement this or what form it will take.



    Legions of people doubted Apple's iPhone idea before release. No one would have believed you could pull off typing on a multitouch screen. Yet look where we are now. Same goes for so many of Apple's other products.



    For all of you who are saying "I don't see how . . ", "this won't work", etc., don't worry. Apple engineers and designers are probably MILES ahead of you at this point, if in fact Apple will release a tablet-like device in the near future.



    This is 2009. Not 1994. Rule of thumb: Always bet on Apple, and then let the chips fall where they may. It's the safst bet from the get-go. After all, who else do you think is going to pull it off??





    Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody cares about watching video on an iPod. Anybody who wants a video iPod is a whiner.



    Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about native iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET. Anybody who wants native iPhone applications is a whiner.



    Apple will not make an iPhone 3G. Nobody cares about 3G. Anybody who wants 3G is a whiner.



    Apple will not add GPS to the iPhone. Nobody cares about GPS. Anybody who wants GPS is a whiner.



    Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste on the iPhone. Anybody who wants copy and paste is a whiner.



    Apple will never make a multi button mouse. Nobody cares about a multi button mouse. Anybody who wants a multi button mouse is a whiner.



    Apple will never switch to Intel processors. Nobody cares about Intel processors. Anybody who wants Intel processors is a whiner.
  • Reply 55 of 202
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    That's a neat idea. I'm not so sure I would like it personally, as I never quite got the hang of those Microsoft keyboards that are similarly separated.



    I was more concerned about being able to type on it while it's actually in your hands.



    There have long been solutions for typing on a tablet if you assume it's on your lap or on a table. Lots of tablets also have stands and external keyboards already also. The chief drawback ergonomically speaking IMO is that you can't hold it in one hand or even two hands and operate it. A truly mobile computer you should be able to use standing up on the bus or train and no tablet I've ever seen can do that.



    The iPhone is excellent for that, but it suffers from a tiny screen and keyboard and the fact that no one has seen fit to write a proper word processor for it yet.* A bigger device is needed, but if it's too big to thumb type on or, as you say, so big as to be heavy to hold that way, it seems like a loser to me, (at least as a portable writing tablet.) It may be that they are just thinking of a movie playing device and not a writing tablet at all.





    * As an aside, I find it amazingly stupid that with all the talk about the app store and how great the apps are for iPhone that no one has written a basic word processor that works or even a decent integrated contact manager or daytimer. A thousand fart apps does not a platform make and the quality and quantity of actual apps (once the silly games and dreck is removed) in the app store is in reality quite low IMO, despite media reports to the contrary.



    DEAR virgil do you own an iphone ??
  • Reply 56 of 202
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstermac77 View Post


    I have a beautiful idea for an interface for Apple Tablet. It's been done by Apple, and suits this type of device. Imagine a full screen frontrow interface, where you can flip through giant icons and select the application you would like you use. It launches the applications full screen as if you were on a mac. No dock, No dropdown menus, no desktop, no multitasking (although I would like multitasking with this OS, apple wouldn't allow it). Portrait, lanscape however you like it. They would have a word processing document, safari, itunes as manifested in frontrow, a preferences application which allowed you to change what was on the main menu, a word document application (not sure how they would solve the keyboard issue), a fullscreen camera application. It's essentially the normal iPod interface (classic, nano) turned sidways with giant icons. Depending on what you tap, you're brought to another menu with this same interface. A full screen coverflow if you will. Imagine flipping threw your albums, pictures, documents with your hand rather than your finger. Remember when Steve was so exciting with coverflow? Both the iPhone and in iTunes. Soon after they released a similar interface in safari (history 4.0), finder, everything! The entire basis of this OS is full screen flipping. It's much like the iPhone interface, but fits the screen size perfectly. "It's all display."



    I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of this, but it seems very fitting for a tablet. If you don't know what frontrow is and you're using a mac, press: apple, esc. And let your mac show you for itself.



    I disagree. I see this device as having the ability to multitask including 3rd party apps. If this truly the hybrid device that I'm hoping it to be then it must be able to do this. Unless this device truly is just a giant ipod touch.
  • Reply 57 of 202
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    I was more concerned about being able to type on it while it's actually in your hands.



    What I was trying to say that it may not be physically possible to thumb type in portrait mode on such a large device. As your thumbs can't rest on the screen and your fingers wouldn't extend beyond the devices center of mass on the back side, the device would literally flip out of your hands if you tried to type. The only solution to that problem, as far as I can see is to bring the keyboard up higher, but then you lose the advantage of having extra screen real estate.



    Whatever the case, I'm sure the input method will be fine, Apple wouldn't release it if it wasn't easy and intuitive to use.



    I also wish there was better text editing software for the iphone.
  • Reply 58 of 202
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post


    A.I./Kasper: Your sources said 1st Quarter of 2010. Apple's marketing year has its first quarter in October, doesn't it?



    Reading the articles about Apple's quarterly financial reports (the last one was the 21st) there was repeated mention of Apple's 3rd Q results (through June). That would make 4th Q through September.



    1st Q 2010 would then be October-December, making your sources tie with this report. Were your sources *explicitly clear* that it was CY2010, and not FY2010?



    I'm just curious - I do take all of these with a grain of salt but there's an awful lot of smoke around this 10" device.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post


    Very good observation. Might be worth messaging AI to see what they think, I don't think they read threads beyond the first few comments.



    It's an excellent observation in fact. Is AI reading this thread?
  • Reply 59 of 202
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,580member
    Apple has no need to dominate CES, so I would be very surprised if it hit then. The FY/CY Q1 issue is moot; the driver is to have a great christmas lineup so they can have a blowout christmas quarter. The March quarter will be hyped by something else; iPod sales are dipping to the point that they want to compensate.



    I'm surprised, but I am starting to believe the tablet is a reality at 10" and will ship this year...
  • Reply 60 of 202
    ivladivlad Posts: 740member
    I wonder if Apple gonna call it just MacBook
Sign In or Register to comment.