Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as September

1246711

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 202
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    The current IPod Touch has approximately an external diagonal of 5" (2.5"x4.5")and a screen diagonal of 3.5 inches. If the device size got tripled 10" the device would measure something like 7.5"x13.5". It could be 9x heavier. Too big to carry in a lab coat pocket. The aspect ratio of the pixels would be messed up and existing apps would not utilize the screen area optimally. The 50,000 apps is what would drive the demand for this kind of device in addition to other apps like electronic books, education and apps that need more processing power and display.



    What would make sense would be for the device to double the area to 7" diagonal, use multiple core version of the low battery consumption chips from Samsung, may with a higher clock speed, video processors, etc. The virtual keyboard would have double the size keys and the device could easily be held with one hand. Easier to type with larger keys. Not the best way to type a long paper... any laptop or a desktop would be better. Bluetooth keyboard would be an option.



    SJ is into details and I doubt he would design brick that is too heavy, or cumbersome to carry. He is not into duds anymore like into old days.
  • Reply 62 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    The iPhone is excellent for that, but it suffers from a tiny screen and keyboard and the fact that no one has seen fit to write a proper word processor for it yet.* A bigger device is needed, but if it's too big to thumb type on or, as you say, so big as to be heavy to hold that way, it seems like a loser to me, (at least as a portable writing tablet.) It may be that they are just thinking of a movie playing device and not a writing tablet at all.



    If the screen is big enough and the "keys" on the keyboard are big enough, you could probably type with several fingers, one-handed, while holding it with the other. Unlike the one fingered typing I do on my iPod touch.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    * As an aside, I find it amazingly stupid that with all the talk about the app store and how great the apps are for iPhone that no one has written a basic word processor that works or even a decent integrated contact manager or daytimer. A thousand fart apps does not a platform make and the quality and quantity of actual apps (once the silly games and dreck is removed) in the app store is in reality quite low IMO, despite media reports to the contrary.



    I agree about the App Store, low quality and seeming dearth of "real tools". Even if those apps were there, it would be possible to search for apps based on more than 2 or 3 criteria and not end up having to weed through scores of Pretty Girl, Jesus or Fart apps.



    Me? I'd like Vectorworks Lite and they could even dredge up the old name and call it MiniCAD!



    As for the "real" apps, the biggest problem is the lack of a solid, flexible, TRULY ADVANCED Search function. There need to be more hard categories so there is far less search result "bleed-through"! Some of the developers pepper their apps with all kinds of irrelevant keywords, so that we're guaranteed that their app comes up in a search. All Apple needs to do is make the search like VersionTracker or MacUpdate!
  • Reply 63 of 202
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    There'll be an App Store specific for this device guys.



    Hey Ireland, (and maybe wizard69, teckstud and a few others)



    do y'all remember when the tablet was a crazy insane idea and it was only us in a future hardware section thread that would discuss it?

    Every once in a while the occasional naysayer would stop by the thread just to make fun of us weird kooks talking about a product Apple would never....ever consider producing? For two long years this has been going on.



    Now look. Now everybody and their grandmother can't wait to buy it. Who's da man now hmm naysayers? PWNED!



    EDIT: I'm not sure about techstud now that I think about it. Weren't you one of the naysayers techstud?
  • Reply 64 of 202
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post


    The current IPod Touch has approximately an external diagonal of 5" (2.5"x4.5")and a screen diagonal of 3.5 inches. If the device size got tripled 10" the device would measure something like 7.5"x13.5". It could be 9x heavier. Too big to carry in a lab coat pocket. The aspect ratio of the pixels would be messed up and existing apps would not utilize the screen area optimally. The 50,000 apps is what would drive the demand for this kind of device in addition to other apps like electronic books, education and apps that need more processing power and display.



    What would make sense would be for the device to double the area to 7" diagonal, use multiple core version of the low battery consumption chips from Samsung, may with a higher clock speed, video processors, etc. The virtual keyboard would have double the size keys and the device could easily be held with one hand. Easier to type with larger keys. Not the best way to type a long paper... any laptop or a desktop would be better. Bluetooth keyboard would be an option.



    SJ is into details and I doubt he would design brick that is too heavy, or cumbersome to carry. He is not into duds anymore like into old days.



    Yah. It really seems like it comes down to whether this is a "handheld touch device" or is it a "tablet computer device"? One you grasp in the crook of your palm; the other you hold in the crook of your arm.
  • Reply 65 of 202
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    There's no way they'd let Schiller do the rollout for this. Steve is going to have to turn his Reality Distortion Engine up to 11 for this one. "And so we looked at existing netbook designs- compact, lightweight, but the problem was the keyboard. It's always making clckity noises when you type, crumbs get stuck in the keys, and it allows you type quickly and efficiently. So we got rid of it!"
  • Reply 66 of 202
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,183member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post


    It?ll be a larger display on both the x and y planes so giving the same relative pixels or size is possible. There is nothing wrong with windowing an app designed for the iPod Touch of iPhone, like with the iPhone Simulator in the SDK, within OS X. There are many iPhone apps I?d love to use on my Mac that way.



    Never gonna happen.
  • Reply 67 of 202
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Never gonna happen.



    Hey spam were you one of the naysayers? I can't remember. I'm trying to figure out who will be the new elite leaders of this forum. We're taking over!
  • Reply 68 of 202
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post


    The current IPod Touch has approximately an external diagonal of 5" (2.5"x4.5")and a screen diagonal of 3.5 inches. If the device size got tripled 10" the device would measure something like 7.5"x13.5". It could be 9x heavier. Too big to carry in a lab coat pocket. The aspect ratio of the pixels would be messed up and existing apps would not utilize the screen area optimally. The 50,000 apps is what would drive the demand for this kind of device in addition to other apps like electronic books, education and apps that need more processing power and display.



    What would make sense would be for the device to double the area to 7" diagonal, use multiple core version of the low battery consumption chips from Samsung, may with a higher clock speed, video processors, etc. The virtual keyboard would have double the size keys and the device could easily be held with one hand. Easier to type with larger keys. Not the best way to type a long paper... any laptop or a desktop would be better. Bluetooth keyboard would be an option.



    SJ is into details and I doubt he would design brick that is too heavy, or cumbersome to carry. He is not into duds anymore like into old days.



    A 10 inch screen of the same aspect ratio would measure 8.32" by 5.55". Add a 1/2" bezel all around and you get 9.32" by 6.55". Even a 3/4" bezel that accomodates a similar button to the home button would keep the device under 10" long (Which I admit might still be too big for what you want).



    You are just scaling up an the dimensions of an ipod touch, which doesn't work at all. For one, the screen bezel bezel size doesn't scale up at the same rate, it remains relatively constant. 9x the weight of an ipod touch is 2.28 pounds, which is the same weight as a dell mini 9. I think Apple could make it lighter than that, but even that weight isn't bad. 9x just sounds scary.



    PS. Apple bought a chip company. They will most likely be using multi-core Arm chips developed by that company, and apps can be programmed to run at multiple resolutions. Any app worth its salt will work properly on a larger device prior to or at worst, shortly after launch.
  • Reply 69 of 202
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post


    As much as I've been looking forward to it, I have to admit I've had the same thought.

    No doubt Apple has done tons of usability testing on it, but I'm trying to envision a comfortable use position for a 10" device.

    If you multiply the weight of the iPhone by about 3 (which is what 10" seems to come out to) it feels a bit heavy to hold in one hand.

    Laying flat on a table would seem to require that your eyes be pretty much right above it, which doesn't sound too ergonomic for the neck.

    I can see bluetooth keyboard and some sort of built in stand, but at that point, what's the purpose? You just have a tiny desktop system.

    I really am curious to see how they've approached this. Should be interesting.



    If Apple triples the diagonal from the current 3.5 inches to 10 inches... the surface are will be 9x and so will weight, assuming the thickness stays the same. It will feel like brick. I think the best it should do would be 2x current diameter... then it will be only 4x. I can handle that wt in my coat pocket.



    The MacOS would mean a slow pole Atom processor with higher power consumption, etc. Would not run the 50k apps that the iPhone has. The app store is important for books, etc. I looked at Anatomy books... especially Netter in the iPod Touch. Too small for serious reading. The Rad images need bigger screen too. Higher resolution would help too.
  • Reply 70 of 202
    irelandireland Posts: 17,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    Hey Ireland, (and maybe wizard69, teckstud and a few others)



    do y'all remember when the tablet was a crazy insane idea and it was only us in a future hardware section thread that would discuss it?

    Every once in a while the occasional naysayer would stop by the thread just to make fun of us weird kooks talking about a product Apple would never....ever consider producing? For two long years this has been going on.



    Now look. Now everybody and their grandmother can't wait to buy it. Who's da man now hmm naysayers? PWNED!



    EDIT: I'm not sure about techstud now that I think about it. Weren't you one of the naysayers techstud?



    An elephant me.
  • Reply 71 of 202
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,826member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I don't believe it. If this imaginary device is to run App Store apps, none of them will work because they're all written for the wrong display size. If it is to run regular old OSX, then maybe.



    more BS.



    1.

    The iPhone OS supports different resolutions and screen sizes.

    2.

    Apple has advised its developer to not rely on the current screen resolutions.

    3.

    An upgraded iPhone OS could easily window current iPhone OS apps. A solution here is obviously needed to support multitasking.

    4.

    Regular old Mac OS is really to bulky to run on this sort of device especially considering all the legacy APIs in Leopard. A hybrid OS is the most likely course of development at Apple.





    The worries about iPhone apps on the new device are unfounded. There will certainly be poorly written apps that have their problems but enough of the current crop will work well enough thatthe Tablet will have a reasonable amount of apps right out of the starting blocks.





    Dave
  • Reply 72 of 202
    irelandireland Posts: 17,616member




    Real production model might have a 'slight' bezel-size increase on both sides. But basically if the screen is 10.1", and I believe it will be, the device will be roughly this tall and wide. 14/15 mm thickness in the center, tapering outward slightly, with tough smooth rubber-ish grips on the rear right and left. And of course the oft-mentioned (by me) rear pop-out stand, for when at a desk for example.
  • Reply 73 of 202
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post




    Real production model might have a 'slight' bezel-size increase on both sides. But basically if the screen is 10.1", and I believe it will be, the device will be roughly this tall and wide. 14/15 mm thickness in the center, tapering outward slightly, with tough smooth rubber-ish grips on the rear right and left.



    Rubberish grips? There's no way Steve would allow that. Instead it will be smooth and slippery like the iPhone. Imaging how much money they'll make replacing all the broken glass on dropped units, like they do with iPhones!
  • Reply 74 of 202
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,617member
    Let's suppose this Tablet device runs on circuitry that is pretty much the same as an iPhone or iPod Touch. Then the rest of the real estate underneath the screen will be battery space. Even with a larger screen, battery duration on this device should be significantly longer than an iPhone. Any techies care to guesstimate?
  • Reply 75 of 202
    irelandireland Posts: 17,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post


    Rubberish grips? There's no way Steve would allow that. Instead it will be smooth and slippery like the iPhone. Imaging how much money they'll make replacing all the broken glass on dropped units, like they do with iPhones!



    When I say rubber-ish I don't mean "rubber". Think, it will look just like smooth gray matte material on the back, and will have grip. Of course not all over the back, just along the side edges reaching a bit round the back, for grip. These areas would also be a great place to get better WiFi, by placing the antennas there.



    However cool or trendy this device looks, it will still need a practical side, to ever have a chance of taking off in the market place. To become to the new "laptop", the design will need to not only look "slick", but they will need to be somewhat practical.
  • Reply 76 of 202
    irelandireland Posts: 17,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post


    Let's suppose this Tablet device runs on circuitry that is pretty much the same as an iPhone or iPod Touch. Then the rest of the real estate underneath the screen will be battery space. Even with a larger screen, battery duration on this device should be significantly longer than an iPhone. Any techies care to guesstimate?



    The battery life of this device will be around that of the new laptops, and it won't have the same circuitry as an iPhone or iPod touch. This will be a Mac tablet.
  • Reply 77 of 202
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    I predict a 9x6" device that fits in lab coats

    AS powerful as and does as much a low end WHITE MB

    Bright MBP GLASS screen. <<< Beautiful green glass. >>>

    2 ports >>usb/headphone

    Alum Uni-body.

    A much more powerful multi touch/swipe machine.

    Powerful > N < WIFI , That will be ALSO Be able to do apple TV work . And streams and streams of hulu/netflix content



    FROM internet loving housewives to crazy movie>watching gamers to all the tinker> tailer> soldier> spies out there. To everyone in industry heavy and light. And of course the loyal apple people who buy anything apple makes. Will be the people who will crave this device .

    Even thou they did not know they needed it before .







    I am not sure BUT , I think that A tablet like ipod-touch like device was Steve's dream just before he re-joined apple .



    9
  • Reply 78 of 202
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,183member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    Hey spam were you one of the naysayers? I can't remember. I'm trying to figure out who will be the new elite leaders of this forum. We're taking over!



    I'm saying "nay" to things that make no sense from the Apple perspective. Using an iPhone app on a larger device is a big nay.
  • Reply 79 of 202
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGui View Post


    An Apple tablet with WiFi would be worth my consideration. With WiFi and with or without 3G, if the data plan is optional, it would be worth my consideration.



    If a data plan is mandatory, then I'll pass.



    I have to agree with this, if the tablet requires a data plan of say $30.00 monthly, then I will pass on this device when it launches.
  • Reply 80 of 202
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,183member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    more BS.



    1.

    The iPhone OS supports different resolutions and screen sizes.

    2.

    Apple has advised its developer to not rely on the current screen resolutions.

    3.

    An upgraded iPhone OS could easily window current iPhone OS apps. A solution here is obviously needed to support multitasking.

    4.

    Regular old Mac OS is really to bulky to run on this sort of device especially considering all the legacy APIs in Leopard. A hybrid OS is the most likely course of development at Apple.





    The worries about iPhone apps on the new device are unfounded. There will certainly be poorly written apps that have their problems but enough of the current crop will work well enough thatthe Tablet will have a reasonable amount of apps right out of the starting blocks.





    Dave



    Baloney. Graphics created for the iPhone are recommended to be .PNGs, which are resolution specific. They are not vector graphics, which WOULD be resolution independent. If you use Adobe Illustrator you will recognize the difference.
Sign In or Register to comment.