Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as September

Comments

• Reply 141 of 202
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

I think AI wants the tablet more than anyone because it keeps making up rumors about it. Did I say "making up", I mean fabricate!

So the WSJ, Routers, and the other reliable news services that reported on this as much as two months ago, and that seem to have more specific support from others as time goes by are all in this "fabrication" business together? They ALL want an Apple tablet that much?
  • Reply 142 of 202
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Legions of people doubted Apple's iPhone idea before release. No one would have believed you could pull off typing on a multitouch screen. Yet look where we are now.

Yes, they technically "pulled off" typing on a multitouch screen. But typing anything more than 5 or 6 sentences at once gets old real fast. And most users depend heavily on auto correct. They hardly made keyboards on phones obsolete.
  • Reply 143 of 202
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

As much as I've been looking forward to it, I have to admit I've had the same thought.

No doubt Apple has done tons of usability testing on it, but I'm trying to envision a comfortable use position for a 10" device.

If you multiply the weight of the iPhone by about 3 (which is what 10" seems to come out to) it feels a bit heavy to hold in one hand.

Laying flat on a table would seem to require that your eyes be pretty much right above it, which doesn't sound too ergonomic for the neck.

I can see bluetooth keyboard and some sort of built in stand, but at that point, what's the purpose? You just have a tiny desktop system.

I really am curious to see how they've approached this. Should be interesting.

Yup. 10" is too big for a handheld device not only because it's too awkward and heavy to hold, but also because it won't fit in any pocket or purse.

I'm sticking with my prediction that any super-sized iPod touch will have a 7.5" widescreen (16:9 ratio). Anything smaller is going to be a tough sell against the existing iPhone/touch and anything larger is simply too big.
  • Reply 144 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Yup. 10" is too big for a handheld device not only because it's too awkward and heavy to hold, but also because it won't fit in any pocket or purse.

I'm sticking with my prediction that any super-sized iPod touch will have a 7.5" widescreen (16:9 ratio). Anything smaller is going to be a tough sell against the existing iPhone/touch and anything larger is simply too big.

Then what is Apple planning to do with all those 9.7" screens it bought?
  • Reply 145 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Love them or hate them, netbooks are selling, and I would expect people to pick this device up as an alternative. If Apple does get these things subsidized through a carrier, they could have very similar price to unsubsidized netbooks. Since most people only look at the initial purchase price, that shouldn't be a problem, this tablet will be viewed by the population as cheap as a netbook, but with much more to offer.

The other major source would be the personal media player market, which is very well established, and Apple dominates there. Some people would get it just to have video on a larger screen.

If this has decent note taking capabilities it could be a hit with students too. Which was where tablets should have taken off if they were done right in the first place.

Personally, I see variety of sources for Apple to draw from and I do think an announcement will be enough to drum up demand for the device, just look at how many pages of comments this rumor is generating (high, even for an Apple centric site).

If Apple does this right, in a few years Apple haters will be saying that Apple didn't invent the tablet, just like now they are saying that Apple didn't invent the mp3 player. Apple has spent years on this, and they've been able to analyze countless examples of why previous tablets have failed. I think the time is right for them to reinvent the tablet.

Netbooks are selling because they're cheap and run the same software as their larger cousins. Although their keyboards are cramped they are infinitely more usable than a virtual keyboard that forces you watch every keystroke. I simply cannot see how an iPod touch style tablet will ever be efficient for note taking, document editing or the like.

I still believe the driving force for a larger touch is the fact that most web content doesn't fit on an iPhone size display. The personal video player market is a second reason to make a larger touch and is a good reason to make it 16:9 in shape. The other reason to make it 16:9 is the simple fact that anything over 4" wide will not fit comfortably in one hand, a pocket or a purse. In order to be significantly larger than the iPhone without being too wide, it must get taller.
  • Reply 146 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

And about the air, I don't think it was blown. The first time I saw it I got the impression that it was an exploratory type of device so that certain technologies and form factors could be tested.

The Air is extremely successful as a niche product. How many other prototype style devices can you think of that bring in hefty profits and don't cannibalize sales of other models?
  • Reply 147 of 202
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Netbooks are selling because they're cheap and run the same software as their larger cousins. Although their keyboards are cramped they are infinitely more usable than a virtual keyboard that forces you watch every keystroke. I simply cannot see how an iPod touch style tablet will ever be efficient for note taking, document editing or the like.

I still believe the driving force for a larger touch is the fact that most web content doesn't fit on an iPhone size display. The personal video player market is a second reason to make a larger touch and is a good reason to make it 16:9 in shape. The other reason to make it 16:9 is the simple fact that anything over 4" wide will not fit comfortably in one hand, a pocket or a purse. In order to be significantly larger than the iPhone without being too wide, it must get taller.

By note taking, I meant pen/finger input. Not everyone is in arts classes. A keyboard isn't really good for taking notes if they are filled with diagrams and equations. A touch keypad is fine for document editing, obviously a physical keyboard is better for serious word processing, but then again I doubt many people use a netbook for that. In general people get netbooks because they are cheap, small, lightweight computers and they are primarily used as web appliances. A tablet can be close to as cheap, smaller, lighter, and a better web appliance. It's all in the implementation, previous tablets were not designed around touch from the ground up, Apples will be. If done right, it should provide a superior user experience to most netbooks.

A 16:9 10" screen would still be close to 5" wide, ignoring any possible bezel. I don't think they will be changing the aspect ratio if they are truly basing this off of the touch, but either way, it wouldn't fit in a pocket.

My thoughts anyway.
  • Reply 148 of 202
    For those here who are so in love with the thought that netbooks are selling well, you should know that they have one of the highest rates of return of any product category. Some estimates are 40%

People are very disappointed with netbooks. And with the cheapest laptops dropping to the $350 point for units that aren't on sale, I wonder how long the netbook fad will last.
  • Reply 149 of 202
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    I have to agree that the 10" diagonal is the minimum need for book reading, and educational purposes. The challenge will be in the ergonomics in holding the device. However, with rubbery shell - even aftermarket - it may be feasible to hold with one hand. Better not have any shaky hands. The good part is the virtual keyboard will be easier to use.

Again, Apple must have studied this issue of ergonomics in multiple combinations. I can only imagine what the engineers must have gone through to satisfy SJ.

From an investor point of view, with desktop and laptop sales mature, they need another category to maintain the growth. This thing will have to be a Kindle and Laptop killer all in one.
  • Reply 150 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I have to agree that the 10" diagonal is the minimum need for book reading, and educational purposes. The challenge will be in the ergonomics in holding the device. However, with rubbery shell - even aftermarket - it may be feasible to hold with one hand. Better not have any shaky hands. The good part is the virtual keyboard will be easier to use.

Again, Apple must have studied this issue of ergonomics in multiple combinations. I can only imagine what the engineers must have gone through to satisfy SJ.

From an investor point of view, with desktop and laptop sales mature, they need another category to maintain the growth. This thing will have to be a Kindle and Laptop killer all in one.

I would have to say that most of the time, people will be sitting when they use it.

I've tried "tablets" before while resting them on my forearm while typing. Very uncomfortable. After a very short time, my arm begins to shake.

but then, these things aren't really tablets at all. They're laptops with a screen that can swivel and let you use a stylus. Not the same thing, and calling them tablets has damaged the reputation of the category before real one come out. There is one company that takes MB's and turns them into proper tablets, but I've never seen one.

This device will be small, and pounds lighter than the monsters that are out now. With multitouch, just a light touch is needed.
  • Reply 151 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

A 16:9 10" screen would still be close to 5" wide, ignoring any possible bezel. I don't think they will be changing the aspect ratio if they are truly basing this off of the touch, but either way, it wouldn't fit in a pocket.

My thoughts anyway.

You obviously didn't notice any of my previous comments where I said 4" is the maximum width including bezel making the maximum screen size 7.5".

I completely dismiss a 9.7" or 10" screen for anything that's going to be a "go everywhere" device. Not that such a device doesn't have its uses. Mel highlights some of advantages of a multi-touch tablet over a netbook that's only input is a keyboard and single touch trackpad. For some things a tablet is definitely better.

However, a 10" device won't be something people take with them everywhere because it's too big for a pocket and many purses. That means another bag to carry it around. It'll get left behind as often as it's taken and that's a recipe for low customer satisfaction and sales that fall rapidly after the initial euphoria wears off.

Finally I'll concede that Apple may consider the iPhone and iPod touch their only "go everywhere" devices and see the tablet as a smaller, lighter notebook with the advantage of a multitouch display. In that case a 10" tablet may be on its way.
  • Reply 152 of 202
    duecesdueces Posts: 89member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Cause you can't watch 4:3 on a 16:9 screen.

And you really can't put a 16:9 in a 4:3. Cause who would want access to their dock at all times. Be able to type while still being able to see WHERE you are typing. I think you make a valid point. It's just impossible. I tried hooking up my SNES to my Plasma, it just didn't work. It's weird, my Nintendo refused to let me play in on a screen ratio it wasn't intended for.

Thats weird I have an orginal NES, SNES, Atari 2600, and Sega Saturn all hooked up to my 58" Panasonic Plasma and they all work fine.
  • Reply 153 of 202
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Type iTablet into the Google box and there are already almost 600,000 pages.

It's actually about 250,000 results.
  • Reply 154 of 202
    Hasn't anyone given thought to the possibility that Apple will reveal a secondary input device? Something like a Wacom Cintiq, except Multi-Touch enabled? This would be great for artists in many fields. It might be wireless-enabled so that it can run Apple's Remote Desktop. And it would let developers get their applications for a real MacTablet ready.

I would be pretty surprised if Apple released a MacTablet with zero third-party applications. They haven't even dropped a hint to their ADC members. (Of course, why would they when so many of them shamelessly post everything they know on rumor sites).

...And doesn't Apple have a patent on typing on the bottom of a device that shows the location of your fingers on the top of the device? Perhaps you should... Think different.
  • Reply 155 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadisonTate View Post

Hasn't anyone given thought to the possibility that Apple will reveal a secondary input device? Something like a Wacom Cintiq, except Multi-Touch enabled? This would be great for artists in many fields. It might be wireless-enabled so that it can run Apple's Remote Desktop. And it would let developers get their applications for a real MacTablet ready.

I would be pretty surprised if Apple released a MacTablet with zero third-party applications. They haven't even dropped a hint to their ADC members. (Of course, why would they when so many of them shamelessly post everything they know on rumor sites).

...And doesn't Apple have a patent on typing on the bottom of a device that shows the location of your fingers on the top of the device? Perhaps you should... Think different.

Hmmm... Something else I just noticed. The keyboard on my MacBook Pro is approximately 10". What if they intend to do some kind of multi-touch thing with the entire keyboard area! The Apple USB keyboards already don't have too much travel. Maybe they can get away with a 10" touch screen as a replacement keyboard. All multi-touch. Language independence. Maybe you would never need to move your hands from the keyboard to the touchpad/mouse. It COULD be really awesome. Imagine if they've figured out a way to provide tactile feedback!
  • Reply 156 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

It's actually about 250,000 results.

Not when I looked. Earlier it was 589,000+. What, you think I can't read numbers?
  • Reply 157 of 202
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Not when I looked. Earlier it was 589,000+. What, you think I can't read numbers?

LOL, haha.
  • Reply 158 of 202
    naman34naman34 Posts: 21member
    AWESOME!!!

Thats exactly How it will happen whenever it does. Except, cmon it wont be called macbook wave. Apple just doesn't use word like that for it products. They keep it simple.

It'll probably be called macbook touch. My Best bet.

Ipad is a possibility too, though its been done to death by people by now.

mac touch.. also possible.
  • Reply 159 of 202
    naman34naman34 Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Type iTablet into the Google box and there are already almost 600,000 pages.

This is for a product that hasn't been announced yet.

What's the estimate for the number of pages a week from now? A month from now?

How about the day it's announced? Released? A week later?

i just got 239,000 results!
  • Reply 160 of 202
    Was Hoping it would be full mac OS X with iPhone keyboard.. USB slots, no optical drive (but use MacBook air's) but can't really see apple doing this for $800 and I swear to god if they release it in the USA only I'm gonna scream :o :o