Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as September

Comments

• Reply 161 of 202
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Hey Ireland, (and maybe wizard69, teckstud and a few others)

do y'all remember when the tablet was a crazy insane idea and it was only us in a future hardware section thread that would discuss it?

Every once in a while the occasional naysayer would stop by the thread just to make fun of us weird kooks talking about a product Apple would never....ever consider producing? For two long years this has been going on.

Now look. Now everybody and their grandmother can't wait to buy it. Who's da man now hmm naysayers? PWNED!

EDIT: I'm not sure about techstud now that I think about it. Weren't you one of the naysayers techstud?

Most of the criticism was:

1) Not this year. And it wasn't. You guys been saying this year for a couple years. Eventually you'll be right. Might not be this year either but 2010.

2) Keyboardless 10" slate tablet not so hot. 7" slate tablet better or 10" convertible netbook. We'll see what Apple does.

Me, I'm still unlikely to get a 10" slate. I have 11" and 12" slates and really miss a good integrated keyboard on those things.
  • Reply 162 of 202
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Most of the criticism was:

1) Not this year. And it wasn't. You guys been saying this year for a couple years. Eventually you'll be right. Might not be this year either but 2010.

Well saying Apple will create an airplane for years won't likely ever be eventually right. So if we do end up being right, you could say we were right, just ahead of our time. Telling us we have been saying this for a long time is a compliment, not an insult. Anyway being right is neither here nor there, the reason I was wishing for this device for a long time is because I personally wanted it. When it does eventually come along I won't have the money for it, lol.
  • Reply 163 of 202
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well saying Apple will create an airplane for years won't likely ever be eventually right. So if we do end up being right, you could say we were right, just ahead of our time. Telling us we have been saying this for a long time is a compliment, not an insult. Anyway being right is neither here nor there, the reason I was wishing for this device for a long time is because I personally wanted it. When it does eventually come along I won't have the money for it, lol.

SUPPOSE i told you apple will start selling TV sets ?

No one has predicted this .

And in the last go round no one dreamed of 13"uni MBP and the sd card slot and return of fire wire.

No one.

With the new MBP Bright screens that look better than my 1080p aquos maybe apple will start selling graphic/gaming/mini TVs 20 " size/

THE tablet will be a mini MBA style 9x6"
  • Reply 164 of 202
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

No one has predicted this .

And in the last go round no one dreamed of 13"uni MBP and the sd card slot and return of fire wire.

No one.

With the new MBP Bright screens that look better than my 1080p aquos maybe apple will start selling graphic/gaming/mini TVs 20 " size/

THE tablet will be a mini MBA style 9x6"

There have been plenty of TV set rumors out since AppleTV was released, and it will probably come around again in the fall.

With the success of the Kindle and iPhone/iPod Touch this device could have a chance at success. The problem is making it a form factor that will work as a bridge product between the iPhone and MacBook. If you have to carry around your iPhone and MacBook as well it will have less of a broad appeal. To me that means that it needs to have the capability to run some common OS X applications like Excel and Word out of the box, if not it is just a big iPhone. These two applications are probably the most critical because they are two of the most used in business for creating documents.

I think that it also needs a good stylus for input and an updated version of Ink (is that the right app? Apple's hand writing recognition) for when a keyboard is not practical, and a notes/sketchbook app.
  • Reply 165 of 202
    Quote:

No one has predicted this.

What? A lot of people have been saying this for a while, and I was one of the first. If fact that amount I was convinced, and still am that this is inevitable has caused reaction in the past to call me, at the very least, arrogant. Though I don't care what they say. Just as when a few of us here was saying the iPhone was pretty much a given, there was a huge % here that said we were idiots. I have fun with people's reactions here, they can be so easily given to fits of rage
  • Reply 166 of 202
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

You obviously didn't notice any of my previous comments where I said 4" is the maximum width including bezel making the maximum screen size 7.5".

I completely dismiss a 9.7" or 10" screen for anything that's going to be a "go everywhere" device. Not that such a device doesn't have its uses. Mel highlights some of advantages of a multi-touch tablet over a netbook that's only input is a keyboard and single touch trackpad. For some things a tablet is definitely better.

However, a 10" device won't be something people take with them everywhere because it's too big for a pocket and many purses. That means another bag to carry it around. It'll get left behind as often as it's taken and that's a recipe for low customer satisfaction and sales that fall rapidly after the initial euphoria wears off.

Finally I'll concede that Apple may consider the iPhone and iPod touch their only "go everywhere" devices and see the tablet as a smaller, lighter notebook with the advantage of a multitouch display. In that case a 10" tablet may be on its way.

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't consider a device that was 4" x 6" to be a go everywhere device either. It may fit in some pockets, but it would still be the most uncomfortable thing in the world (I guess would work well with purses though). I held off on the iPhone because I was worried it wouldn't pocket well due to its width, turns out I was completely wrong on that account but I can't imagine pocketing even a 7" tablet for any significant period of time. I don't see many differences in the usage habits with a 7" or a 10" screen. Of course Apple could be making something smaller than 10" but then we have to come up with new guesses at what all the 10" screens Apple ordered are for.

Also it wouldn't mean another bag to carry. It would mean you would have to carry A bag. There are a lot of situations where people already have a bag (students come to mind again, but they woould have to be carefull to not canabalize macbook sales).

I guess at the end of the day, we disagree with what the intended purpose of the tablet would be. My view is similar to what you say in your last paragraph.
  • Reply 167 of 202
    Quote:

What? A lot of people have been saying this for a while, and I was one of the first. If fact that amount I was convinced, and still am that this is inevitable has caused reaction in the past to call me, at the very least, arrogant. Though I don't care what they say. Just as when a few of us here was saying the iPhone was pretty much a given, there was a huge % here that said we were idiots. I have fun with people's reactions here, they can be so easily given to fits of rage

There's no way Apple will ever manufacture and sell TVs. Where's the market and how do they differentiate and compete with commodity appliance makers like Samsung, Sharp, Sony, LG, etc.?

It's better and makes more sense if Apple makes devices that can connect to ANY TV, any technology (LCD, Plasma, projector, etc.), any size or price.

The TV and any current Mac can connect to any TV set that has DVI or VGA ports. I connect my MacBook Pro to my 40" Sony HDTV and it looks great.
  • Reply 168 of 202
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not when I looked. Earlier it was 589,000+. What, you think I can't read numbers?

I don't know, can you read this?

• Reply 169 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

There's no way Apple will ever manufacture and sell TVs.

There's no way I'm going through this again.
  • Reply 170 of 202
    Quote:

WELL they already sells TV's minus the tuner. If they can match my MBP 15" screen quality and brightness then it will be a winner. Apple will have to offer some incredible twist like build in WIFI N OR SUPER FAST REACTION FOR GAMERS..

I brought my 15" mac to best buy and Apple won the day by a mile .

The tablet might not work if it gets so hot like MBP AND IMACS. I wonder how they will work out the chip heat problem.I

cooked frozen pizza on my MBP the other night;

OH well dream on i guess
  • Reply 171 of 202
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naman34 View Post

i just got 239,000 results!

Something happened, and I don't know what it is. When I looked, I was looking at my wife's machine, and noticed the number. I mentioned it to her, and she read it as well. I doubt that her machine was the only one with a "special" listing.
  • Reply 172 of 202
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Rocket man plays in the back ground....

lol!
  • Reply 173 of 202
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Something happened, and I don't know what it is. When I looked, I was looking at my wife's machine, and noticed the number. I mentioned it to her, and she read it as well. I doubt that her machine was the only one with a "special" listing.

LOL. Who knows. Maybe the number keeps changing... Or maybe there was some different search you accidentally did...
  • Reply 174 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No- not at all. I've always thought this would be Apple's answer to the small formed netbook/ ultra portable ever since I saw a Kindle. I never thought much of the MBA and think this will kill it but that it(MBA) helped in the R&D for this as other have noted. I'm very excited about it- I am now going to hold off on my 13"MBP purchase until after the Sept announcements. The smaller the form the better for me. I've wanted something between 7"- 12" for a very long time from Apple.

Does anyone think we'll be able to boot up Windows on it? Run parallels/bootcamp on it?

Leave that to the jailbreakers and hackers. I hope the hackers hack the living hell out of the device because that will just open the possibilities even further. In fact, I really hope the device inspires the hackers to WANT to work on it because that will indicate whether we have a hit on our hands or not.

Do you think all the jailbreakers and app store coders were forced to work on the iphone? They wanted to. If they're excited to work on the apple tablet once they see it then we'll have a good indicator of it's success. It won't be the only indicator of course.
  • Reply 175 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I would be quite happy if Apple were able to introduce another world-beating device that would sell like hotcakes. IMO, it's too early to introduce something like the rumored tablet. There is no pent-up consumer demand for it... yet. As usual, Apple waits for a market to become firmly established, with a clear demand from consumers before they swoop in with a superior technology and system for information delivery and commerce. The Kindle and all of the other e-ink based displays are in their infancy, just like AppleTV is still in it's infancy. The AppleTV was also a product ahead of its time and has languished thanks to that timing. The iPhone arrived at exactly the right time.

True.

But if you were to also look at the market for "netbooks" then you can consider the pent up demand for them.

There is a demand for them but at the same time the market acknowledges the various annoyances of what is essentially a micro laptop. I think Apple sees right through this netbook craze and sees what the market really wants in this case. And they have designed a device around that conclusion.

And as a side effect it's going to kill the kindle.
  • Reply 176 of 202
    Quote:

DUDE I GOT 238000

you have a special browser that looks in the future also
  • Reply 177 of 202
    Guys, you're searching the wrong term, the device is not for sale yet.
  • Reply 178 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

I don't know, can you read this?

That's when you read it.
  • Reply 179 of 202
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

LOL. Who knows. Maybe the number keeps changing... Or maybe there was some different search you accidentally did...

I don't know, but I see that people are getting different numbers, and some of the bigger one were earlier than the later ones, going by post times. So something is fishy.
  • Reply 180 of 202
    What I see is that you had about 250,000, which you now show as 259,000.

But then naman34 comes in AFTER you with 239,000, and AFTER him, brucep says 238,000.

So go figure that out.

It's as though they're winnowing down the hits. Or changing something in how they're found.

I just did it again, and also got 238,000. I typed iTablet.

Explain that!