First Apple, Microsoft retail stores to face off in California

Comments

• Reply 61 of 123
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft plans to compete directly against an already-established Apple Store in Mission Viejo, Calif.,

The retail locations will sell Microsoft software and first-party hardware, such as Zunes and Xbox 360 consoles. Third-party Windows software and Xbox games will also be available.

How is this "competing directly against" an Apple store? Can't buy a computer in the MS store and can't buy a dedicated game machine in the Apple store.

Will the MS store sell Office for Mac? Apple does.
  • Reply 62 of 123
    robonerdrobonerd Posts: 58member
    If there is justice in this world, the landlords at these stores will act just like MS does with its customers.

"We see that you wanted to actually SELL things to your customers. Please submit another $1,499/mo for the upgrade to the Ultimate Edition. Then we will turn on your data connection, which is already there and ready to use, but we crippled it and charged extra for it anyway."

"We have detected that you have re-arranged the fixtures in your store. Since your store no longer looks like it did, you are now required to re-authenticate with us. Please call this number and talk to a person with an accent you can barely understand to establish your identity, or else we turn your lights off."

"Your ceiling has caved in for no reason. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please consider purchasing reinforcements from one of our vendor partners, for a small fee."
  • Reply 63 of 123
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post

Over many years, I too have constructed, deconstructed, and reconstructed many machines. Needless to say, MS has been a big part of that picture, and I’ve installed and configured Linux well before it was ready for prime time.

If someone is a computer hobbyist and wants to spend their free time like this, fine. But I’ve come to the conclusion that a computer is just a tool, and I want to buy it and have it work as expected. I’m done working on getting my tools to work. It’s time to use that free time on other things.

To me a computer is a tool as well. A magnificent complicated tool that I want to oversee every aspect of in the building process, all so I get the best possible experience out of it for years and years. It would be nice to be able to load OSX into one of my machines, but Apple says that's a no no, so I'm forced to use Windows or Linux. I don't think a hackintosh is worth the trouble either.

Laptops are a different story of course.
  • Reply 64 of 123
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    if you build it yourself then without all the crapware from Dell that's preloaded on it, Windows is very stable. i have machines that stay up for weeks or months at a time that run Vista or Windows 7. i've had maybe 10 viruses in the last 15 years.

i'd like to try out OS X and the hardware is worth the money since it's all laptop parts. but i can build a much more powerful windows PC for less money
  • Reply 65 of 123
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

Those answer/windows bars will have queues that begins outside the store

actually likely not. they will probably copy this from Apple also and make it by appointment.

what I would be curious about is exactly what they are supporting. how do to things in windows or other Microsoft software, tech support when something doesn't go right with an install or driver or what.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

If they aren't going to even sell third party hardware, they will be even lamer than I thought.

at this point they may not be able to sell said hardware without some serious licensing, money share etc going on. and until they know that the project is working it's not a smart business move to have those deals.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

I live in this neighborhood, and I can tell you now that this is where Microsoft will die and be buried.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Sounds like you're completely impartial and exactly who I'd listen to on the subject

it's not about being impartial. it is simply a fact. Orange Country is a mecca for those that work in the industry. I'd hazard that 70-75% of the folks living there, especially in the north half, are part of film and tv. many of them work with Macs on a daily basis and would be more inclined to have Macs at home for work and play.

these folks send their kids to schools that promote art based projects. the schools all want to see the bio that says that Little Johnny got his filmmaking start at their school and now he's been hailed as the next George Lucas (or whomever). registrations sky rocket over such things.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

I am surprised that the "very rich" are buying "used macs", "pre-owned" maybe!

oh don't be shocked. I work in Beverly Hills and I can't tell you the number of times I"ve had someone try to get that coupon or deal honored the day after it ended, etc. and then they whip out a black AmEx. these folks are rich in part because they are discount naggers. they work deals day in and out (product placement, actor contracts etc) so it's just in their blood.

so yeah, they will buy a 'used' or 'discontinued' model if the value is there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

The problem is, Apple usually picks more affluent areas to open their stores simply because this is where most of their current customers and targeted customers will shop. Microsoft's consumer market sits at the bottom of the economic ladder and most of their customers are at the Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

yes but consider this. that affluent market can afford to buy Macs. this is part of why they do it. showing them there is equal value for less actual cost in a Microsoft world would be a huge coup. if the stores can work there, they can conceivably work anywhere.

although I do like the idea of setting up a better space in something like Best Buy where they can buy everything.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

kind of like the standard answer on the apple forums to fix a problem iphone. restore it. if that doesn't work, restore it as a new phone

it's the standard answer because many times it does work. between my roommates and I, we'd have a dozen times that someone's phone went wiggy and every time it was a corruption that was fixed by a restore. most of them caused by 3rd party apps, but a couple of times by undetermined glitches that didn't reappear when we 'new phone' restored
  • Reply 66 of 123
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:

I build my systems and Windows is all I have. I could go with a Linux based OS, but it's not the same in terms of driver support and stuff. Until Apple can accommodate me, and geeks like me, they can suck a lemon.

Apple will never accommodate you because you don't want to be accommodated.

It's like the Linux people whining about not taking over the desktop. On one had they want their software to be used by everyone, on the other if you don't memorize arcane configurations, utilities with intentionally obtuse command lines and don't parse through inane configurations, you aren't deemed worthy to run the software or get help.

Which is it? Is it going to be a geeky pursuit of technical excellence where that is the purpose of the journey, or is it going to be a tool?

Apple isn't about the technology in and of itself. Notice how they refuse to publish tech specs on the iPhone 3Gs? That's not what's important. The Apple experience is the use of the device. What it can accomplish for you. How easy it is to use. Dare I say, an appliance.

The geeky DIY homebrew market will always exist, but it will also be an extreme minority. As it has always been throughout time. The only reason PC building was huge in the '90s and magazines like Computer Shopper were read by "regular people" is that was the cheapest and easiest way to get a computer. Now that computers are commodities, I'm not surprised that DIY whitebox computer building has retreated back into the geeky shadows.
  • Reply 67 of 123
    Quote:

To me a computer is a tool as well. A magnificent complicated tool that I want to oversee every aspect of in the building process, all so I get the best possible experience out of it for years and years.

I dunno, I get a Mac, plug it in and get years and years of the best possible experience because I leverage people who are much smarter then me and produce a winning combination of hardware and software.

Really, what's the point of building a PC these days? You often pay more for the privilege and unless you are into extreme overclocking (not that there is anything wrong with that) any performance difference you get from mixing and matching parts is probably not going to be worth the time you invested vs. just buying a properly specd and pre-configured machine. That is unless you are independently wealthy and your time has no value.

I understand if you are doing it for the pursuit of technical excellence and the wonderment of building your own machine. But if you are going to use the tool/economy argument I don't buy it. It hasn't been cost effective to build a utility computer for the past 5 (maybe more) years.

So at that point, if you are going to get a pre-built machine, you might as well get one that has the best overall mix of functionality - and for me that's a Mac - hands down.
  • Reply 68 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

oh don't be shocked. I work in Beverly Hills and I can't tell you the number of times I"ve had someone try to get that coupon or deal honored the day after it ended, etc. and then they whip out a black AmEx. these folks are rich in part because they are discount naggers. they work deals day in and out (product placement, actor contracts etc) so it's just in their blood.

If you needlessly throw money away, you won't stay rich for long. Of course it would take Bill Gates allot longer to throw away that much money, but there are not that many in his category (despite the popular politically motivated anti-rich/class warfare driven rhetoric being spewed in today's media).
  • Reply 69 of 123
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

I will send an email to Trump to see if he wants to buy my cube.

He probably would buy it. Just be prepared to get low-balled on the price!

And BTW, Trump isn't really a good example of the "truly rich". He has been bankrupt more times than he has been wealthy. Most of his current "richness" comes from having access to someone else's money.
  • Reply 70 of 123
    seems like an even worse Sony Store.

we have a Sony Store in Atlanta. it is deserted in an otherwise popular mall.

there's not a lot of synergy between an XBox and Vista.

what's the point of having a Surface interface. we have one here at work. it collects dust.
  • Reply 71 of 123
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    These stores will backfire on Microsoft, much like the ridiculous "Laptop Hunter" ads.
  • Reply 72 of 123
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    I will be amazed if this MS store stays in business for more than one year. The only thing that the MS store will be selling are the nice shiny Macs sitting in the store across the street.
  • Reply 73 of 123
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,097member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petertemplar View Post

seems like an even worse Sony Store...

This is all I kept thinking when I first heard about Microsoft stores.

Apple (sort of) copied the Sony Store idea. Much better than Sony in its original incarnation.

Now MS is copying it (well actually, Apple) but will it be better?

Hardly?

Like another poster said:

Hardware Problem? Take it back to that vendor. We only sell Windows and won't support XP at these stores.

Vista is the minimum requirement for dealing with a Guru.

Oh, didn't you know that?

Windows XP will NOT be supported at these stores.

Think about it. It would be like Apple supporting OS 9 PowerPCs at their stores.

Dead technology. Well, nothing that really generates any more revenue for the company.

And if it is supported, here how: with an upgrade path.

Guaranteed that these stores are designed to put a knife in the baby that won't grow up: XP.
  • Reply 74 of 123
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Imagine what Microsoft could do if, instead of spending money on their failed ads and and pointless stores, they put it into R&D for their OS and software. But no, the OS is perfectly fine, it's the consumers that need convincing.
  • Reply 75 of 123
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

It will be interesting to see how many customers the Windows gurus will have to turn back because they can't fix the problem.

"Sorry, it's a hardware problem. Bring it back to where you bought it"

Dude.

There is no way MS will provide service for all brands' hardware problems.

I believe their Guru Bar will be giving people advices how to do something in Windows, Office... recommendations on 3rd party software (antiviruses, for example), maybe some basic one-on-one training on installation, updates... but software only.

Have you got any idea what logistic hell would it create to stock spare parts for all those various notebooks and desktops out there..? I don't think it would be possible at all.

Additionally, does Apple help you if your Canon printer or scanner are not working..? Will they fix 'em for you? Or tell you to call manufacturer's service department?
  • Reply 76 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Apple Laptop Hunter Ads:

Here we are at a Microsoft store. Here's $2000. Buy a laptop from them.

What, you can't? They don't sell them! Wow. Just wow. How was it in there?

Dark, cold, unwelcoming? A wall of red rings of death?! Someone threw a chair at you! Wow.

Hey, come next door ...

... and experience flickering screens, freezing graphics and overheating phones. Or are you in for more substantial experience of cracking cases?

But hey - we'll keep smiling (in your face!) when you hand us your money - it is experience that matters!
  • Reply 77 of 123
    Quote:

BUT WHAT ABOUT MEEEE?

I build my systems and Windows is all I have. I could go with a Linux based OS, but it's not the same in terms of driver support and stuff. Until Apple can accommodate me, and geeks like me, they can suck a lemon.

So what do you think? Am I a dying breed along with Microsoft? I dread the idea that some day, rather than learn about what makes a computer work and build their own, kids will learn to just throw money at a company and let them do it because self built machines won't have a viable solution for the OS.

In fact, some of the best father-son memories I have with my father were centered around building a computer the family can use, and learning all about that stuff.

Don't worry - many of us like you, even here in these "hostile" waters

I'm pretty sure custom-built PC market is actually growing - choice of components is bigger and better than ever.

Even if custom building is niche by PC standards, I'd be surprised to learn that number of Macs out there is bigger than number of custom built PCs. Heck, business users aside, I know much more home users with custom built boxes than with branded boxes... and sadly, I don't know anyone with Mac. Maybe it is New Zealand thing, but still.
  • Reply 78 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Really, what's the point of building a PC these days? You often pay more for the privilege and unless you are into extreme overclocking (not that there is anything wrong with that) any performance difference you get from mixing and matching parts is probably not going to be worth the time you invested vs. just buying a properly specd and pre-configured machine. That is unless you are independently wealthy and your time has no value.

I understand if you are doing it for the pursuit of technical excellence and the wonderment of building your own machine. But if you are going to use the tool/economy argument I don't buy it. It hasn't been cost effective to build a utility computer for the past 5 (maybe more) years.

So at that point, if you are going to get a pre-built machine, you might as well get one that has the best overall mix of functionality - and for me that's a Mac - hands down.

Not really.

My example: for the price of 24" iMac, I've built mid-tower with all quality parts (including all-aluminium Lian Li case) that beats the crap out of iMac - hardware performance wise - in every single aspect... and I ended up with enough money for HP 6730b notebook.

That was back in March-April, I'd likely be able to do better today as prices in PC segment are going down much faster than in Mac segment.

And it really isn't hard to configure your own box - sites like Anandtech.com will give hardware recommendations few times a year for budget, midrange and high-end systems - and any shop will build it for you for free or with minimal charge, if you get parts from them.

I am absolutely sure box will do well for at least 5 years, as my previous boxes did. I rarely use any box for more than 3 years, but my wife "inherits" it after me as she is not a gamer and is less demanding, so every system I build is around for a long run. Right now she is happily using my 3 years old AMD 64 X2 system, and in 3 years she'll get my current C2Q. AMD system works beautifully with 3GB of RAM with Vista, and will do so with W7 for the next 3 years (if we upgrade it to W7 at all).

All parts have at least 3 years of warranty, some 5 and RAM comes with lifetime.
  • Reply 79 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The retail locations will sell Microsoft software and first-party hardware, such as Zunes and Xbox 360 consoles. Third-party Windows software and Xbox games will also be available. ...real estate expert George Blankenship, has switched sides and is now providing advice to Microsoft on plans for its own stores.

Could be wrong, but I don't see how these will succeed on the scale of Apple. The only hardware they will sell are Zune and Xbox, and maybe a few 3rd party accessories. Seems difficult to compete with Apple having a store mostly filled with mostly OS7, software, games, and Zune cases/speakers.

They obviously aren't going to sell computers, esp since many stores will likely be close to Best Buy's and other retail stores. So, why would a person go to an MS store when they can get all those things and more in a Best Buy or other large retail store?

Apple stores succeed because they sell everything... you walk in wanting some headphones and leave with an iPod touch or a Macbook. At least half an Apple store is filled with actual hardware. Also, a lot of the things an Apple store sells you can only get at an Apple store, not also including the "cool" and curious aspect of the stores. MS does not exude coolness on any level.

But MS -- you can buy Xbox, Zunes, OS 7, Xbox games, AND Windows-PC computers in Best Buy (and others).

Xbox games -- Best Buy, Gamestop, others... there is no need to go to a MS store.

And what is Blankenship going to do for them? Location is important - yes, but if you don't give customers a reason to keep coming back - location means little. \
  • Reply 80 of 123
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Apparently this will be the logo for the new Microsoft Store...