First Apple, Microsoft retail stores to face off in California

Comments

• Reply 101 of 123
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

...Thus my statement that my built box, for just a bit above half the price of 24" iMac, is better hardware wise in every aspect, and I see a lot of value there.

It may be half the price of an iMac, but it is the same a comparable PCs. I don't buy the value proposition. Computers practically come free with magazine subscriptions and the economy of scale is so far out in front of the individual hobbyist, there is no good practical reason to do it. I didn't say there was anything wrong with doing it. I just say it is not practical.
  • Reply 102 of 123
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

like 1 click to see all open apps at once( on a 3yr old OS)

Is it that much better than 1-click switch between windows button in Vista, which also sorts all opened apps on the screen and let you scroll through them with mouse wheel or click on one you want to bring to front..? And Vista is almost 3 years old as well..?

Quote:

like drag and drop graphics off the web into other apps

That works on Vista as well. I'm frequently dragging images from the web into CorelDraw, Photoshop, Outlook, Word...

Quote:

like seamless integration between all media files and apps

That is a bit too general. Can you import MP3 file into iPhoto?

Quote:

like the easiest movie app (iMovie 08) ever, although I still prefer iMovie 06 (tiger version), more options .. both free btw ( 06/ tiger .. 08 leopard) ... comes WITH computer.

There is a bonus there. I had to buy my Pinnacle Studio, though it was just $50 at the time.

Quote:

like garageband .. the coolest app ever for creating your music.. again free with computer

That is one of those personal things that work for some, but not for all. I can see value in iMovie and iPhoto (presumably both better than Windows counterparts) but creating music is not something everyone will appreciate. Much as I am concerned, I'm much happier having - say - free online game like Battlefield Heroes on my Windows, than having anything like Garage Band.

Quote:

like keynote, which, by all accounts from people who have used both, me included, knocks the socks off of powerpoint

I have heard about elegance of Keynote and am not questioning that (even though I haven't seen it myself). But... only person in my household doing presentations frequently is my wife (she is university staff) and she is tied down to PowerPoint like it or not... because anywhere she has to do presentation, there is Windows notebook already connected to a projector and all she can do is plug USB flash an copy PPT presentation or runn it from flashdisk - no other options are available. Maybe it is different in US where Macs are more common, but here in NZ, working with keynote is simply not a solution.

Quote:

like a built in iSight (web cam) in all iMacs and laptops

Aw give me a break! Both my notebooks have built web cam. For 2 desktops we are using as personal computers, we have decent Logitech and Microsoft webcams, cheap as nowadays. They are not integrated, but they ca be moved around as desired - something you can't do with built-in cam. HTPC has web camera set on top of TV, for long distance family "conferencing" from the sofa.

Quote:

need more ???

How about some real advantages?
  • Reply 103 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

It may be half the price of an iMac, but it is the same a comparable PCs. I don't buy the value proposition. Computers practically come free with magazine subscriptions and the economy of scale is so far out in front of the individual hobbyist, there is no good practical reason to do it. I didn't say there was anything wrong with doing it. I just say it is not practical.

Computers that come free with magazine subscriptions are nowhere close in performance or built quality to iMacs, and even more far away from what I build for myself.

I also don't buy for value, I buy for performance currently not available for Mac (short of Mac Pro). However I am happy that such performance comes with such nice price.

You and I don't agree here, which is perfectly OK. Viva la difference!
  • Reply 104 of 123
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Is it that much better than 1-click switch between windows button in Vista, which also sorts all opened apps on the screen and let you scroll through them with mouse wheel or click on one you want to bring to front..? And Vista is almost 3 years old as well..?

That works on Vista as well. I'm frequently dragging images from the web into CorelDraw, Photoshop, Outlook, Word...

There is a bonus there. I had to buy my Pinnacle Studio, though it was just $50 at the time.

That is one of those personal things that work for some, but not for all. I can see value in iMovie and iPhoto (presumably both better than Windows counterparts) but creating music is not something everyone will appreciate. Much as I am concerned, I'm much happier having - say - free online game like Battlefield Heroes on my Windows, than having anything like Garage Band.

I have heard about elegance of Keynote and am not questioning that (even though I haven't seen it myself). But... only person in my household doing presentations frequently is my wife (she is university staff) and she is tied down to PowerPoint like it or not... because anywhere she has to do presentation, there is Windows notebook already connected to a projector and all she can do is plug USB flash an copy PPT presentation or runn it from flashdisk - no other options are available. Maybe it is different in US where Macs are more common, but here in NZ, working with keynote is simply not a solution.

Aw give me a break! Both my notebooks have built web cam. For 2 desktops we are using as personal computers, we have decent Logitech and Microsoft webcams, cheap as nowadays. They are not integrated, but they ca be moved around as desired - something you can't do with built-in cam. HTPC has web camera set on top of TV, for long distance family "conferencing" from the sofa.

How about some real advantages?

They are "real advantages." Hence Apple's dominance of the Premium end of the market. Apple can unload $1000+ notebooks like nothing else, to the highest-tier demographic.
  • Reply 105 of 123
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    [QUOTE=nikon133;1457071]

I should have been more specific ... my iMac is 3 yrs old ... mac's "tiger" OS is actually 4½ so the comparison should be with XP .. in that case my points are valid. Also, leopard, the current os was released in '07 and will be updated this fall.

Quote: That works on Vista as well. I'm frequently dragging images from the web into CorelDraw, Photoshop, Outlook, Word...

Vista .. yes .. XP ... no

Quote: That is a bit too general. Can you import MP3 file into iPhoto?

Yes ... can you do it in vista?

Quote: There is a bonus there. I had to buy my Pinnacle Studio, though it was just $50 at the time.

Just $50 ? Do that often enough and we'll be able to get you into a mac yet.

But seriously ... my original point was that to compare PC to Mac is really not valid because on one hand you are talking about 2 or more companies .. microsoft & dell, hp, acer, homebuilt, whatever ... and on the other side of the equation you're talking about 1 company ... Apple.

The thing is, if you're happy with PC, stay there, but I know from my own experience that if you were to have the opportunity to work both platforms as I do, the choice might not be that easy for you. I remember when we got our first computer, I didn't even think we needed one .... couldn't think what we would use it for, but after being on a mac for the last 8 or 9 years and seeing how easy it was to do everything I'm using it for things I never thought I would. I have a lot of friends that are gamers only ... that's fine, others who only do email and surf the net ... again that's fine ... but every time I see a switcher from PC to Mac the first thing I notice is how much more they're doing on it ... but hey, we are all different. Anyway ... happy computing, no matter what your platform of choice is.
  • Reply 106 of 123
    Quote:

Computers that come free with magazine subscriptions are nowhere close in performance or built quality to iMacs, and even more far away from what I build for myself.

I also don't buy for value, I buy for performance currently not available for Mac (short of Mac Pro). However I am happy that such performance comes with such nice price.

You and I don't agree here, which is perfectly OK. Viva la difference!

I'm guessing the "performance" you're talking about refers to gaming?

Although not a gamer myself, I've been told that when you run games in a window partition on a mac, they often run even better than on a pc ... but I suppose that depends on the pc you're using as a comparison.
  • Reply 107 of 123
    Quote:

I'm guessing the "performance" you're talking about refers to gaming?

Although not a gamer myself, I've been told that when you run games in a window partition on a mac, they often run even better than on a pc ... but I suppose that depends on the pc you're using as a comparison.

Not only gaming (though I will admit I game).

What I'm saying is that occasionally I will run something in the background - converting DVD to DivX, or batch-converting couple of hundreds NEF images in Lightroom... while editing and rendering my home video, or playing a game at the same time without noticeable performance hit.

I don't do that every day, but I'm happy to have it there when I need it, if I don't have to suffer (financially) to get it. And then, there is expandability. For me, there is tremendous value in that alone - I know that I will add 1 or two extra hard drives in the life time of this machine, maybe swap graphics card... without replacing the whole thing.
  • Reply 108 of 123
    Quote:

I should have been more specific ... my iMac is 3 yrs old ... mac's "tiger" OS is actually 4½ so the comparison should be with XP .. in that case my points are valid. Also, leopard, the current os was released in '07 and will be updated this fall.

OK, I don't even remember what can be done in XP. As I said, that code is almost 9 years old. Vista will also be updated in a few months time.

Quote:

Yes ... can you do it in vista?

I'll find out when apple releases iPhoto for Windows

In the mean time, ACDSee I'm using for photos organizing will play various video and audio clips. I didn't really test to which extends.

Quote:

Just $50 ? Do that often enough and we'll be able to get you into a mac yet.

I did that for my previous box a year ago and just transferred license to a new box, so in a way it didn't raise up the price of my new box at all. I believe you get only one version of iLife with Mac, and have to purchase new versions if you want them (unless you are changing Mac every time new iLife is out)?

Quote:

But seriously ... my original point was that to compare PC to Mac is really not valid because on one hand you are talking about 2 or more companies .. microsoft & dell, hp, acer, homebuilt, whatever ... and on the other side of the equation you're talking about 1 company ... Apple.

Well... it is valid as a platform comparison. We are actually talking about much more players... i.e. Gigabyte, Intel, WD, nVidia, LG, Silverstone, Lian Li, Creative, Logitech and Microsoft are some of the brands taking part in my box. Even if I've purchased built box from HP, it would still have components from various manufacturers, as Macs do too. For me, it doesn't make difference if everything is made from scratch by same manufacturer, or only put together by one manufacturer, or put together by me.

Quote:

The thing is, if you're happy with PC, stay there, but I know from my own experience that if you were to have the opportunity to work both platforms as I do, the choice might not be that easy for you. I remember when we got our first computer, I didn't even think we needed one .... couldn't think what we would use it for, but after being on a mac for the last 8 or 9 years and seeing how easy it was to do everything I'm using it for things I never thought I would. I have a lot of friends that are gamers only ... that's fine, others who only do email and surf the net ... again that's fine ... but every time I see a switcher from PC to Mac the first thing I notice is how much more they're doing on it ... but hey, we are all different. Anyway ... happy computing, no matter what your platform of choice is.

Cheers.
  • Reply 109 of 123
    Having been on the skeptic side of the fence, I know it is senseless to try and convince someone of the superiority of the Mac experience. Much of the difference amounts to a lot of small things that are difficult to put into words or on a spreadsheet. But all those little things equal more than the sum of their parts. You just have to be there.

As far as what windows can do, that is almost irrelevant. Coach passengers arrive at the same time on the same plane as first class. But you have never flown first class on a big plane if you think the experience is in the same arena. You might think all cars are alike if you've never owned a luxury car. You may think all clothes are alike until you've owned real designer fashion. Chinese knock offs look just like iPhones, but they most certainly are not iPhones. If you are willing to wait a bit and accept a cheap knock off of what Apple has done, then yes, your PC will end up with many of the features that are a part of the Mac experience. But make no mistake about it, they are not at all the same.

I work in both the Windows and Mac OS. I have the most advanced level of the OSs and have for many years. I can tell you that I have never had an experience of equivalence or parity between the systems. Every time I have to work in Windows, I find the experience almost painful, and am constantly reminded in a thousand little ways that do not show up on a spreadsheet how far those two worlds are apart.

The only way to know is to fly first class for a year. You may go back to coach for any number of reasons, but you will never again think they are the same.
  • Reply 110 of 123
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

like 1 click to see all open apps at once( on a 3yr old OS)

like drag and drop graphics off the web into other apps

like seamless integration between all media files and apps

like the easiest movie app (iMovie 08) ever, although I still prefer iMovie 06 (tiger version), more options .. both free btw ( 06/ tiger .. 08 leopard) ... comes WITH computer.

like garageband .. the coolest app ever for creating your music.. again free with computer

like keynote, which, by all accounts from people who have used both, me included, knocks the socks off of powerpoint

like a built in iSight (web cam) in all iMacs and laptops

need more ???

cntrl+tab has been around for a while in Windows (see all apps open, switch to them easily)

I've been able to drag and drop an image from a website straight into photoshop on XP countless times.

Not sure what you mean by seamless integration of all media and apps, but I will say there hasn't been a single media file I haven't been able to view in XP unless the file its self was corrupt.

The last 3 things are not things a PC can't do, just software that came with your mac. There are alternatives to all of those.

So yes, I need more. I didn't ask what your computer came with. So what can I not do on Windows based PC that you can do on Mac? I can't believe you didn't mention system wide spell check.
  • Reply 111 of 123
    Quote:

Having been on the skeptic side of the fence, I know it is senseless to try and convince someone of the superiority of the Mac experience. Much of the difference amounts to a lot of small things that are difficult to put into words or on a spreadsheet. But all those little things equal more than the sum of their parts. You just have to be there.

As far as what windows can do, that is almost irrelevant. Coach passengers arrive at the same time on the same plane as first class. But you have never flown first class on a big plane if you think the experience is in the same arena. You might think all cars are alike if you've never owned a luxury car. You may think all clothes are alike until you've owned real designer fashion. Chinese knock offs look just like iPhones, but they most certainly are not iPhones. If you are willing to wait a bit and accept a cheap knock off of what Apple has done, then yes, your PC will end up with many of the features that are a part of the Mac experience. But make no mistake about it, they are not at all the same.

I work in both the Windows and Mac OS. I have the most advanced level of the OSs and have for many years. I can tell you that I have never had an experience of equivalence or parity between the systems. Every time I have to work in Windows, I find the experience almost painful, and am constantly reminded in a thousand little ways that do not show up on a spreadsheet how far those two worlds are apart.

The only way to know is to fly first class for a year. You may go back to coach for any number of reasons, but you will never again think they are the same.

You've said everything I wish I had the wisdom to say ... elegant, true and easy to grasp ... just like a mac.
  • Reply 112 of 123
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Oh, didn't you know that?

Windows XP will NOT be supported at these stores.

Think about it. It would be like Apple supporting OS 9 PowerPCs at their stores.

yeah, well they don't support OS 9 or before. the current techs are trained in the current technology. it is total luck if you get someone that has used older stuff.

if you look at the fine print on the training program they will tell you they don't guarantee support of older software either.

of course with tech support, those OS 9 computers are all way past even Apple Care and they do very very few non warranty repairs in stores. so they likely wouldn't be able to handle said machine anyway.

so in this case it is zero all

and it makes a little bit of sense if you think about it. Microsoft is trying to get everyone to upgrade to Win7. lack of support for anything earlier is a roundabout way of pushing that notion. of saying "Windows XP is outdate and thats why you are having trouble. Upgrade to a better version and get a better experience"
  • Reply 113 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

yeah, well they don't support OS 9 or before. the current techs are trained in the current technology. it is total luck if you get someone that has used older stuff.

if you look at the fine print on the training program they will tell you they don't guarantee support of older software either.

of course with tech support, those OS 9 computers are all way past even Apple Care and they do very very few non warranty repairs in stores. so they likely wouldn't be able to handle said machine anyway.

so in this case it is zero all

Seems to me that most OS 9 users upgraded a long time ago, while most XP users never did. Therefore, MS has a much bigger problem with XP support than Apple does with OS 9. Also, Machines are still being sold with XP on them. MS can't play the upgrade card as XP is still a current OS.
  • Reply 114 of 123
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Seems to me that most OS 9 users upgraded a long time ago, while most XP users never did. Therefore, MS has a much bigger problem with XP support than Apple does with OS 9. Also, Machines are still being sold with XP on them. MS can't play the upgrade card as XP is still a current OS.

Correct.

LOL, who still uses OS 9?? I've never heard of anyone complaining about lack of OS 9 support.

The OS 9 situation (if one even exists), doesn't even compare to XP. Not even in the same dimension. That's like someone today complaining about the lack of Windows 95 support.

There are a ridiculous number of Windows sufferers still stuck on XP. There are, in fact, far more XP users than Vista users. I believe Vista passed the 30% mark in March, while today XP remains above 50%. And this is an OS from 2001 that looks and feels like dog vomit.
  • Reply 115 of 123
    I keep saying because it keeps proving true; these MS clowns don't have a plan. They chase after any good idea someone comes up with like a dog chases after a laser pointer. Watching MS is funnier that watching my dog chase her tail; it never gets old.
  • Reply 116 of 123
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

well yes. you can.

iphoto can see your itunes library for use in slideshows etc. as can imovie, idvid and even iweb. the latter 3 can see your iphoto and aperture libraries, and so on. and not only can the ilife apps see and share via the media browser functions but I can import photos and videos into iphoto and imovie, do what I need for them (edit etc) and then via the MB put them as appropriate into iwork documents.
  • Reply 117 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The reference store would have a Guru Bar -- labeled as an Answer Bar or Windows Bar -- that would directly copy the Genius Bars at Apple stores and let customers make appointments either for help or just to ask questions. The number of products would be kept to a minimum to avoid the confusion present in stores where most Windows PCs are sold today.

Does anyone at Microsoft have a brain? Have they ever had one original thought? If Apple is "insignificant" as Ballmer has stated many times, Microstiff is sure spending a lot of time, money and effort reacting to Apple. Ballmer is running scared and confused. Keeping the MS products in the store to a minimum would take up one shelf in the store. What will will be in the rest of the store? What will they sell? Why would you want to go into a MS Store? This is destined to be another collossal MS failure.

JoeCoolDaddio
  • Reply 118 of 123
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    I wonder if Microsoft will run their product demos like they ran their "Mojave Experiement".
  • Reply 119 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I wonder if Microsoft will run their product demos like they ran their "Mojave Experiement".

Yes, most of the MS Store customers will be paid actors. Otherwise, the "Guru Bar" will become overwhelmed by an angry mob of frustrated Windows users.
  • Reply 120 of 123
    the Apple Store in Mission Viejo is closed for remodeling (as of yesterday) and according to the local papers it will be closed for about two months.

from the talk around the mall, this puts the reopening of the newly expanded Apple Store at or just before the opening of the Microsoft Store.

hmmmmm. could this be a coincidence or is Apple hoping to zing the big grand opening. Me thinks the latter.