is instant bootup an impossible dream?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the phone!

We're talking about Facts?
  • Reply 42 of 46
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I refuse to justify a typo resulting out of a glitch, especially to people who can't even think enough to correct the typo themselves, instead accusing me of claiming that a Mac in Sleep mode consumea something like 314kW/h or something.

Next time I'll just leave it 3-90W and you can think for yourself whether that is by second, hour, century or lightyear now (which again is a measurement of distance, not time, but again few actually seem to know that).

Ignorance is bliss, flame on.

G-News

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: G-News ]</p>
  • Reply 43 of 46
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>

Sometimes it's hard to live with you Americans.

G-News</strong><hr></blockquote>

So who is American?

Michael
  • Reply 44 of 46
    A lot of people who think their education at school is like 150% of the world average...

G-News
  • Reply 45 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by Majuki:

<strong>Most of OS X's bootup time (the same goes for Windows 2000) is authenticating with the network. It will send pings out to the network to determine what's there, update ntp, etc, etc. I've also found out that OS X throws a fit when you put in IP addresses for DNS that it can't reach. The clock resets and accessing panes in system preferences slows way down. Upon reconnecting with the network and letting DNS resolve, everything speeds back up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Then again, I've never seen an OS that will so readily connect to a network when others won't.

I supposedly have to register my MAC address with my college network before it will assign me an IP via DHCP. Haven't had to yet. *shrug*

At home, my brother and father (PCs w/ Win98&2k) both have a hell of a time staying connected to the net through our cable modem (even after clean reinstalls, new network cables, new nic cards, etc.). When I went home for x-mas break, I connected right away, no probs. I was able to connect instantly with any of our @home DHCP client IDs. They spent hours with @home tech support trying to get their connections to work.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    Have you ever seen a big LAN with lots of Windows9x machines all connected together?

I've seen several, and even with the smallest setups, noone ever had all of them listed in the "Network Neighborhood". You have to search for Computers most of the time to actually be able to exchange files or whatever under Windows...I'm damn glad not even AppleTalk has such issues.

G_news