Amazon offers Apple Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard pre-order

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Time Machine backup..?

See my previous posting #35.

I didn't say you couldn't use a Time Machine backup. But we wouldn't use it to reinstall an OS unless it was our only choice.

Again, unless your hard drive is physically damaged, e.g., you dropped it, it is virtually impossible to know why.

When anybody installs a new drive, it is prudent to install the OS and all the applications via a fresh install, not from your backup. It too could contain the root cause of your demise in the first place.

It would be like having your car engine rebuilt and they reinstalled the old spark plugs.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    Anyone want to speculate (or know of precedents..) as to whether Leopard will see a price reduction upon the release of Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 43 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I expect them to release in a full upgrade with clean install option. As you say, as a beta tester, I should know that. However, the weird ideas that Apple is giving people over this "you must buy a box set or have Leopard" is giving me enough room to say "its possible that the $29 upgrade will be an upgrade-from-previous-leopard-install only."

I sincerely hope not, and I don't expect that to be the case Abster2core, I'm just covering my bases.

Here is the information available as we speak and as Apple has posted on http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html:

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard.

If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, just purchase Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard when it?s available and follow the simple installation instructions.

Price $29

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.

If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set (when available), which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife ?09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork ?09, Apple?s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

Price: To be announced.*

__________________________________________________ ______________

Now you could purchase Leopard at $129 now and buy the update for an additional $29 for a combined total of $158.

*I would suggest that the price will be a little over $169 as per the current Mac Box Set which includes Leopard, iLife '09 and iWork '09. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MzA3Mzg5Mw

Thus I think that they will introduce the new "Mac Snow Leopard Box Set single, affordable package at around $199, which is one hell of a bargain.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    You're proposing that the Snow Leopard Mac pack be more expensive than the Leopard one and suggesting it's a good idea when the Snow Leopard upgrade is less than half the price of Leopard? Wow.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    does anyone know if the only option to upgrade from leopard to snow leopard will be having to buy the box set?

will it also be available as a download from the apple store? thanks
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Time Machine backup..?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

See my previous posting #35.

I didn't say you couldn't use a Time Machine backup. But we wouldn't use it to reinstall an OS unless it was our only choice.

Lenny, you still need to install the OS before you can restore the device?s apps, accounts, etc.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

does anyone know if the only option to upgrade from leopard to snow leopard will be having to buy the box set?

will it also be available as a download from the apple store? thanks

They aren?t likely to offer a 6GB DL of SL. They?ve never done it before that way and there are too many changes taking place which such a large DL that they?ve have to test the methods they could use to have the system partition the HDD to make room for the image prior to installing. It?s just not feasible when you can buy the disc online.

It also looks like the non-upgrade-only option will be a box set that includes both iLife and iWork.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by passat2.1 View Post

I'm English and live in France there's no pre-order available here either. Actually it is worse than that, the reduced price for existing Leopard Owners offer is not available here or in the UK or in any other country except the US. Is this another example of Apple making special offers only available to Americans while the rest of us have to pay in full to subsidise the USA? Are you watching Apple (Steve Jobs even!) you have loyal customers outside America, treat them properly, we count as well.

Don't jump to conclusions using this "information". I think Amazon or an Amazon partner is probably prematurely listing products on the anticipation of a new product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Windows is basically still a GUI on top of DOS because of stuff like this.

I don't think that has been true for any version since Windows ME. The NT line don't really run on top of DOS. However, they will run DOS virtual machines with something like a legacy interpreter.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Here is the information available as we speak and as Apple has posted on http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html:

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard.

If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, just purchase Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard when it?s available and follow the simple installation instructions.

Price $29

If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set (when available), which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife ?09, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork ?09, Apple?s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

Price: To be announced.*

__________________________________________________ ______________

Now you could purchase Leopard at $129 now and buy the update for an additional $29 for a combined total of $158.

*I would suggest that the price will be a little over $169 as per the current Mac Box Set which includes Leopard, iLife '09 and iWork '09. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MzA3Mzg5Mw

Thus I think that they will introduce the new "Mac Snow Leopard Box Set single, affordable package at around $199, which is one hell of a bargain.

At NO point did I disagree with this. I'm just wondering how/if they're going to stop people from buying the Leopard Upgrade and using it to clean install from Tiger. That's why I said what I said. They may limit it to an upgrade from a computer already installed with Leopard by making them upgrade it from within leopard. Its unlikely, but possible.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    $29! Wow, that's a great upgrade price! Apple is very clever in doing this, as Microsoft will most likely be charging quite a bit more for the next version of Windows.

The package deal from Amazon is nice, too, although the savings is a bit less then $20, Apple is showing they can provide a top-notch OS and two complete suites of software for about the same price Adobe charges to upgrade Photoshop.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

At NO point did I disagree with this. I'm just wondering how/if they're going to stop people from buying the Leopard Upgrade and using it to clean install from Tiger. That's why I said what I said. They may limit it to an upgrade from a computer already installed with Leopard by making them upgrade it from within leopard. Its unlikely, but possible.

Before you can install from Tiger, you have to either load Leopard on first.

The alternative, as Apple has suggested is that you purchase the NEW Mac Box Set which will include a full Snow Leopard install, when it becomes available.

Basically, Snow Leopard is an upgrade from Leopard. Thus the CD will only work on previously installed Leopard Macs.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

You're proposing that the Snow Leopard Mac pack be more expensive than the Leopard one and suggesting it's a good idea when the Snow Leopard upgrade is less than half the price of Leopard? Wow.

First of all, I am not proposing anything.

Fact: Everybody who has purchased a new Mac since the introduction of or anybody who has bought Leopard will be able to buy the upgrade to Snow Leopard for $29 at the most.

For those that are upgrading Tiger http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

My assumption for the higher price over the previous 'Leopard' Box Set, i.e., $169 was simply based on the fact that the new to-come Box Set does contain the Snow Leopard Full Install and relevant software to match the upgrade. Is it worth an higher price, i.e, $199 vs $169, I would say, absolutely. Will Apple charge that much? I only know one thing, i.e.,it will be that or lower.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by passat2.1 View Post

I'm English and live in France there's no pre-order available here either. Actually it is worse than that, the reduced price for existing Leopard Owners offer is not available here or in the UK or in any other country except the US. Is this another example of Apple making special offers only available to Americans while the rest of us have to pay in full to subsidise the USA? Are you watching Apple (Steve Jobs even!) you have loyal customers outside America, treat them properly, we count as well.

The only comparative pricing I could find was for those as qualified below. From that, I would assume the $29 US upgrade from Leopard will be similar around the world.

USA: Snow Leopard Up-to-Date Program.

If you purchased a qualifying Mac on or after June 8, 2009, that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard, you can upgrade for $9.95.

UK: Snow Leopard Up-to-Date Program.

If you purchased a qualifying Mac on or after June 8, 2009, that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard, you can upgrade for £7.95.

= £19 http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=117190

France: Programme de mise Ã* jour Snow Leopard.

Si vous achetez, Ã* compter du 8 juin 2009, un Mac éligible n'intégrant pas Mac OS X Snow Leopard, vous pouvez bénéficier d'une mise Ã* niveau au prix de 8,95 Â?.

Not sure if the VAT is included. Most times it is, is it not? Don't know about France's tax system. Variance could simply be due in part to the exchange rates at the time the prices were set.

For sure, the best price is in Canada. Same as the US but in Canadian dollars. Unfortunately the Canadian dollar is on the rise lately.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    I just read through this entire thread, and as far as I can see, one simple question has not been answered: Will I be able to do a full wipe/reinstall using the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade disk only, on my Leopard-native Mac? Or will I be asked to install Leopard & then upgrade it, thereby wasting my time?
  • Reply 55 of 67
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So how will this $29 update work? Will they follow the Volish method of having Leopard on the machine already and upgrade only, or can we do a full wipe and load? I hope we can wipe and load, but it wouldn't surprise me if we had to have Leopard first and then upgrade.

Like everything else they have done. The installer won't run unless Leopard is installed. Then you can do whatever you want.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Some (many) Mac users I know don't know whether they have Tiger or Leopard or what. I'm sure the upgrade version will cause confusion and returns.

Very doubtful. You must spend your time with very stupid people.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The information given so far is that you must have Leopard installed on your machine to use the upgrade. it would seem that all this disk is going to affect is the system files, unlike previous times when you had all the mail, safari etc on there as well. which is likely why the price has gone down because it is really just a software update that is too big to be feasible via download.

Wrong. It will simply check to make sure you have 10.5 installed in order to run the installer. It will just be a checkfile in the installer package. It is a full OS install, not an update. If you don't already have Leopard, you will have to buy the standard retail package, not the $29 discounted package.

Similar to when Apple released iMovie HD 6 for iLife '08 users. It checked to make sure iLife '08 was already installed before the installer would continue.

It is really not that hard to figure out.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garyp View Post

I just read through this entire thread, and as far as I can see, one simple question has not been answered: Will I be able to do a full wipe/reinstall using the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade disk only, on my Leopard-native Mac? Or will I be asked to install Leopard & then upgrade it, thereby wasting my time?

Amazing how many people don't understand a simple concept. If you buy the $29 package, Leopard must be installed on your Mac. Apple made that pretty clear. The installer will check to make sure, then continue with all the regular options. If you have Tiger installed, it won't run. If you feel that is a waste of your time, then buy the full retail package. Aren't you running Leopard already?
  • Reply 59 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Amazing how many people don't understand a simple concept. If you buy the $29 package, Leopard must be installed on your Mac. Apple made that pretty clear. The installer will check to make sure, then continue with all the regular options. If you have Tiger installed, it won't run. If you feel that is a waste of your time, then buy the full retail package. Aren't you running Leopard already?

So there's no way to buy a non-upgrade version of the OS without buying iLife/iWork also? That doesn't sound right.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

So there's no way to buy a non-upgrade version of the OS without buying iLife/iWork also? That doesn't sound right.

Everyone can and will assign their own value to something. However, think of it this way... the combined OS X upgrade price is $158 ($129 + $29). We don't know the final price of the combo package but if you can get both iLife 09 and iWork 09 for what likely will turn out to be not all that much more money than $158, it will at least feel like a sweetheart deal.