Amazon offers Apple Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard pre-order

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    slr2009slr2009 Posts: 14member
    I'm confused, if I buy the $29 Snow Leopard and install it, will I lose all my i Life 09 applications? I use IPhoto09, Imovie 09, Garageband 09 all the time so those applications are important to me. Thanks
  • Reply 62 of 67
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

So there's no way to buy a non-upgrade version of the OS without buying iLife/iWork also? That doesn't sound right.

I am sure once it is released, there will be a standard retail package for $129, for the small number of users that have an Intel Mac with Tiger (if any of them are still running Tiger). There weren't many models running Tiger since Leopard was released in Oct 07.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SLR2009 View Post

I'm confused, if I buy the $29 Snow Leopard and install it, will I lose all my i Life 09 applications? I use IPhoto09, Imovie 09, Garageband 09 all the time so those applications are important to me. Thanks

The only way you would lose your applications is if you did an Erase and Install. Most do an Archive and Install and preserve Users and Network settings. Archive and Install creates a new OS X folder and preserves everything else. That gives you a clean install of OS X without updating a previous version. Don't you have the iLife '09 DVD so you can reinstall them if ever needed?
  • Reply 64 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I am sure once it is released, there will be a standard retail package for $129, for the small number of users that have an Intel Mac with Tiger (if any of them are still running Tiger). There weren't many models running Tiger since Leopard was released in Oct 07.

Unless the $29 disc turns out to be a normal full version with no check, then they have over-thought this and made a mistake. There will be lots of returns for the Apple Store to waste resources processing.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Unless the $29 disc turns out to be a normal full version with no check, then they have over-thought this and made a mistake. There will be lots of returns for the Apple Store to waste resources processing.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm trying to find figures on how much of the Mac user base is using Leopard vs. Tiger & Panther. Scratch that, I don't think PPC is supported anymore, so it's just Intel/Tiger users. The last time I saw any figures, I think more than two thirds of Macs in use are updated to the current version.

Not only that, I'm pretty sure the box will be properly labeled. It would be hard for me to have sympathy for anyone that can't be bothered to read the system requirements before they pay for it / open it.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SLR2009 View Post

The $29 upgrade is for the OS and its standard applications only, it won't include iLife or iWork apps. That you have to buy separately or get the bundle deal that Amazon is offering for $169.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

You're proposing that the Snow Leopard Mac pack be more expensive than the Leopard one and suggesting it's a good idea when the Snow Leopard upgrade is less than half the price of Leopard? Wow.

One is a .5 to .6 maintenance upgrade, and one is a .4 to .6 OS upgrade, with additional apps. The pricing makes sense to me.

I think a Tiger "upgrader" should be able to buy Leopard-only for $129, and I think that will happen eventually, possibly only from the Apple Store, at first.