Embedded content gets new look with Apple's QuickTime X

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Thank you for suggesting clicktoflash! My 12" Powebook was actually unusable on youtube.. I don't use this site much, but when I open a movie I want to see it without problems. And now it works again as it should.

Will Quicktime X work on a G4? It should work if the web plugin is different, shouldn't it? Is there any information about this?

thanks
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by future-ex-pc-user View Post

Will Quicktime X work on a G4? It should work if the web plugin is different, shouldn't it? Is there any information about this?

thanks

QT X is for SL, which is only for Intel Macs. Your G4 is stuck with Leopard.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    As another poster said, it'd be nice if Quicktime automatically worked on Youtube - and if it was used instead of Flash on ANY website when the option was available.

I'd like to see Quicktime integrate DVD Player functions. Is there a good reason to have 2 different apps?
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

As another poster said, it'd be nice if Quicktime automatically worked on Youtube - and if it was used instead of Flash on ANY website when the option was available.

I'd like to see Quicktime integrate DVD Player functions. Is there a good reason to have 2 different apps?

You can, just use ClickToFlash and check the H.264 setting for YouTube. The only problem is that Flash offers a lot more interactive video options than QuickTime currently does so Flash is usually one of those sites that you want it to load in Flash unless you wish to DL the video stream.

As for the DVD player, it was a big deal when Apple included it for free with the OS. Windows wasn?t doing that and QuickTime still can?t play MPEG-2 video back natively without the purchase of the $20 codec or using Perian. There are obviously some major licensing and legal issues involved, and despite the high price it still won?t play back protected DVDs. Part of the reasoning was surely to protect the content and while most people just use QuickTime for playback it?s quite powerful for video and audio editing, while DVD Player is only a player. DVD Player also disables screen capture. I don?t think these apps will be integrated any time soon. I?d think they?d make DVD Player into a Blu-ray Player app long before they could do that.

PS: Does Windows come with a DVD Player app by default or do you still need a 3rd-party app installed?
  • Reply 45 of 45
    ffulfful Posts: 6member
    I wonder if that might also have something to do with Apple's new http-live-streaming standard

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pan...e-streaming-01

It might take you back to the last playlist file? The EXT-X-TARGETDURATION would be the value..not necessarily 30 sec. Just guessing...