Apple evaluated 4- to 12-inch tablet screens - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has reportedly purchased a number of screens -- ranging from 4 inches to 12 inches in size -- over the last few years, as it explores its possible entry into the tablet and sub-notebook market, according to a financial analyst.

In a research note issued Tuesday, Kaufman Bros. revealed that Apple has bought screen sizes of 4, 7, 9, 10 and 12 inches over the last two years. Some of the purchases were allegedly of such a large amount that the firm suspects they were for more than a simple sample, but a more significant small production run.

Based on that information, the analysis predicts that Apple will launch at least one -- but possibly multiple -- new devices in the near future.

"We are under the impression that these screens could be used in new form factors including a sub-notebook and/or tablet, and would more likely launch in 2010 as opposed to 2009," the note reads. "As usual, exact timing is always tough to pinpoint as Apple works on its own schedule."

Analyst Shaw Wu expects the new form factor adopted by Apple to help carry the company's stock higher. Kaufman Bros. has set a price target of $184 for AAPL stock and recommends that investors buy.

The firm's prediction jibes with AppleInsider's sources, who believe Apple's expected new tablet device, with a 10" display and integrated 3G service, will arrive no sooner than early 2010. Akin to a jumbo iPod touch, the device is said to be the latest brainchild of chief executive Steve Jobs, and a modern day reincarnation of the company's defunct Newton MessagePad.

Kaufman Bros. also believes that Apple, as is expected, will use China Unicom as its wireless carrier in the nation of over 1 billion. It is expected that an agreement will be made official before Februrary 2010. The firm notes that a Chinese-model iPhone is currently in "beta testing."

Last week it was unveiled that a new iPhone model has been granted regulatory approval in China. The new iPhone is reportedly a GSM/WCDMA model that operates on the 900MHz, 1700MHz and 1900MHz bands. It also includes Bluetooth, but no Wi-Fi. It was approved on May 7, according to a China's State Radio Regulatory Commission filing, and can be used in China for the next five years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    First.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    I think this shows that there aren't tablet devices in the near future. It appears to me that Apple is experimenting with several form factors - meaning a retail product is a long way off.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

First.

Twit!
  • Reply 4 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I think this shows that there aren't tablet devices in the near future. It appears to me that Apple is experimenting with several form factors - meaning a retail product is a long way off.

And neither iPhone OS X nor Mac OS X will work, so there would have to be a new OS X class made, which would take time. Not to mention the current lack of a killer app that would make those of use with notebooks for real work and iPhones for portable "interneting" want to also buy this device that seems to offer the worst of both worlds without anything compelling outside of the short-sided desires of those who want it for the sake of wanting it.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

The article doesn't mention when the displays were allegedly purchased, so all we can infer is that they were testing various sizes. That stage of testing could be long since over by now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

And neither iPhone OS X nor Mac OS X will work, so there would have to be a new OS X class made, which would take time. Not to mention the current lack of a killer app that would make those of use with notebooks for real work and iPhones for portable "interneting" want to also buy this device that seems to offer the worst of both worlds without anything compelling outside of the short-sided desires of those who want it for the sake of wanting it.

According to Appleinsider, a tablet of some form has been in the works for quite some time. So there has already been plenty of time that could have been spent developing an OS (maybe a hybrid OS?). The killer app argument doesn't hold any water at all, Apple won't introduce a tablet because I can't think of a good use for one... Maybe Apple has one in mind that you haven't thought of? It wouldn't be the first time.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a research note issued Tuesday, Kaufman Bros. revealed that Apple has bought screen sizes of 4, 7, 9, 10 and 12 inches over the last two years. Some of the purchases were allegedly of such a large amount that the firm suspects they were for more than a simple sample, but a more significant small production run.

Based on that information, the analysis predicts that Apple will launch at least one -- but possibly multiple -- new devices in the near future.

Sheesh with that many guesses, you might as well add 5, 6, 8, and 11 inches to cover all the bases.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I want something with between 4 to 5 inch screen, and as thin as the current iPod Touch,
  • Reply 8 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

According to Appleinsider, a tablet of some form has been in the works for quite some time. So there has already been plenty of time that could have been spent developing an OS (maybe a hybrid OS?).

I?ve read them, and after porting Mac OS X to iPhone OS X making a new OS that somewhere in between would be child?s play for Apple, but I still haven?t read about an app or any advantage that a tablet would offer to make it a viable business move. Remember, AppleInsider has also been saying that the Mac Mini is going to be canceled for a couple years now. Rumors are still just rumours.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    This is starting to feel mighty real.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

This is starting to feel mighty real.

Ya think??

Anyways, I think Appleinsider is wrong. The product (or family of products?) will debut in September with product in stores by November.

Unless they go fancy and wait for flexible displays for the product then they have no reason to wait till 2010.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    It would be great to have the full Mac OS X inside a 300 to 400 g device that is pocketable. Much as the OQO model 2+

http://www.oqo.com

Or with a tablet form-factor. The key is weight and size. As light and small as possible. Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations (video-out is a must).
  • Reply 12 of 72
    Quote:

Keep in mind though.. there is a lot of industrial espionage always going on. If Apple gets wind of someone else possibly beating them to the punch with a killer tablet, or many killer tablets.. then Apple might fast track this thing into production.

Maybe that's why we are getting some reports it might come before Christmas. Those Christmas reports may be the more accurate/recent reports.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they were releasing one of these touch pads in EVERY dimension. I think you would have to be crazy to think all that R&D into touch technology for the iPhone was JUST for the iPhone and another tablet.

Apple may pretend there is just ONE other tablet coming but I suspect they will end up making these things in every flavor under the sun, just like they did with MP3 players.

And then when they have sold every tablet configuration imaginable they will THEN put touch screens on every one of their laptops and iMacs.

Then after that they will put touch on every display they sell ta boot. Then they will dump the whole touch display idea and go to wearable monitors. lol
  • Reply 13 of 72
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I fully expect Apple to buy such materials and likely from more than one vendor. R&D require prototyping and you can't do that without hardware. Speaking of which the displays could be used for a number of things outside of tablet computers so this means nothing really. Also if Apple is serious about handheld gaming they would need a slightly larger iPod Touch type device, this might not have any relationship with the supposed tablet. Instead it is a pocketable Touch device / gaming machine.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 72
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Ya think??

Anyways, I think Appleinsider is wrong. The product (or family of products?) will debut in September with product in stores by November.

Unless they go fancy and wait for flexible displays for the product then they have no reason to wait till 2010.

Actually I think there is plenty of reason to wait. They could steal the show from everyone at CES and ignite the post-holiday quarter. The lineup they have now plus Fall updates is enough for a solid holiday quarter.

Sept intro and Nov release makes sense when you consider developer lead time though.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

It would be great to have the full Mac OS X inside a 300 to 400 g device that is pocketable. Much as the OQO model 2+

http://www.oqo.com

Or with a tablet form-factor. The key is weight and size. As light and small as possible. Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations (video-out is a must).

Too "clunky" for an Apple product...but I take your point!
  • Reply 16 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I fully expect Apple to buy such materials and likely from more than one vendor. R&D require prototyping and you can't do that without hardware. Speaking of which the displays could be used for a number of things outside of tablet computers so this means nothing really. Also if Apple is serious about handheld gaming they would need a slightly larger iPod Touch type device, this might not have any relationship with the supposed tablet. Instead it is a pocketable Touch device / gaming machine.

Dave

Indeed. Once people get focused on the product they want to see, regardless of usefulness, they will force any news into that mold. personally, I?d rather see Apple make there way into touchscreen car systems. I?ve had trouble with the iPhone connecting via BT and it would be nice to get internet-based data in my car via my phone?s internet connection. Like traffic updates in the GPS in real time or stocks being spoke to me while driving, etc. While this would be a much more useful touchscreen to me than a standalone device, there are too many issues to deal with to make this something Apple would pursue.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I?ve read them, and after porting Mac OS X to iPhone OS X making a new OS that somewhere in between would be child?s play for Apple, but I still haven?t read about an app or any advantage that a tablet would offer to make it a viable business move. Remember, AppleInsider has also been saying that the Mac Mini is going to be canceled for a couple years now. Rumors are still just rumours.

I don't know if it will ever happen, but the obvious move for a tablet is to add a new device to the emerging iPhone/iPod "platform" that can easily handle and edit documents. The iPhone is currently positioned as a document *reader* but to actually create and edit documents you still really need a laptop or even a desktop computer.

If it's true that desktops and laptops are on the way out and a new mobile platform is coming, then something that takes the place of the laptop, but uses the virtual keyboard, multi-touch etc. and can edit documents of all kinds is what is really missing from said platform. This is the space that the so-called netbooks inhabit right now.

Done right, an apple tablet is not (like all previous tablet computers), " a solution in search of a problem," it's (ultimately) the replacement for the laptop which is/was the replacement for the desktop.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

http://www.oqo.com. ...

I'm sure if they do it at all it will have much better than "Atom performance." ARM handily beats Atom at the same chip frequencies.

That doesn't mean it will have full OS-X though or that having it would be a good idea. Most folks still have a computer at home (and maybe one at work also). They generally don't want a second or third one, they want a mobile device that syncs to their main computer at home.

Just on a logical level, I don't see why Apple would spend all this time developing the new GUI for iPhone and iPod, and then come out with a device that looks and works the same, but runs the "old" desktop version of the OS. Seems crazy to me.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Everyone up on AAPL tickers knew Jan 2007 was the real deal for a phone announcement. But there wasn't a single person outside of the executive VPs and the board of directors who had even laid eyes on it in final form. No one predicted a damned thing about how-it-would-actually-work.

Knowing that this has a 10" screen tells us nothing but general size. No one even has a solid notion of how it will be held in the hand. These are the types of releases I relish - where the keynote lays out legitimate, ingenious solutions to conceptual problems.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    Something that's been brewing in my mind over the weekend. I know there's been a lot of talk regarding alternate versions of the iphone, most specifically the nano. Now, I've never been a proponent of these alternate form factors, as any smaller and the screen becomes very difficult to use and read, and much larger and it's cumbersome to hold and use as a phone.

Now, I don't think I've read anywhere that people are imagining that this iTablet device would be a phone, cause who could imagine holding a 10" screen to the side of your head. BUT! What if an integral part of the iTablet is that it IS a phone, or at least has all the components of a phone, except that the "phone" functionality is accessed through a bluetooth headset. With some enhanced functionality, you'd exclusively use voice commands via the headset to make and receive calls, and if you need to access your contacts you can still look at the tablet, but there's no need for you to raise it to your ear! And as a phone [in function if not in form] it could be sold subsidized just like the iphone is, making it more affordable to more people. And because it IS a phone, more people might trade up to the iTablet, rather than looking at it as a device that falls into a grey area that they don't necessarily need- between their iPhone and Laptop.