Web site lists TomTom iPhone mount for £99.00 ($168.50)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 114
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

As a software developer, I'm surprised you don't take the under the hood equation in mind when you were making your comment.

I think it will be drastically different under the hood as the internal memory constraints are sure to be different and not dedicated, that was my point. Not about the feature set or how it looked. Your original point/statement was making it sound like charging that amount for the software/hardware was out of line because there wasn't much of a difference in the software. I think that there would have been significant challenges to get it to run on the phone.

I am sure there is a fair bit of work involved. It would have a lot of dependancies. But, there would/should be a lot that is fairly portable. But the point I was replying too stated that the software was where the value was (and therefore price) because of the cost of R&D of the interface. I simply meant that it would be no more expensive to develop than on other platforms, i.e. their own dedicated hardware. Especially the interface, maps and algorithms, should be fairly abstracted from the platform. The port itself would probably be the most labour intensive, again depending on how portable it is to begin with. But, if reports that Apple is providing support on this are correct, this would impact development costs (up or down).

ROI on software is always higher than hardware, so using the cost of developing the software to justify the price of the unit as a whole would seem to be misleading, though unintentionally.
  • Reply 62 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

Wow, no thanks!

Exactly. Clunky no thanks....I'll wait till the Toyota Prius uses the iPhone as it's only dashboard screen, replacing the need for a GPS screen and Radio player.

One of the Ferrari models uses the iPhone/iTouch instead of a radio. It just fits in the dash where the radio should be.

Heard it hear first! Hugs!
  • Reply 63 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Exactly. Clunky no thanks....I'll wait till the Toyota Prius uses the iPhone as it's only dashboard screen, replacing the need for a GPS screen and Radio player.

One of the Ferrari models uses the iPhone/iTouch instead of a radio. It just fits in the dash where the radio should be.

Heard it hear first! Hugs!

It would be cool if Apple licensed OS X with certain HW to be the default radio/temp/GPS/etc/ for a bunch of car systems. I doubt it could happen, but it would be cool if it did.
  • Reply 64 of 114
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Not worth it at that price,

I had chance to play with Trapster and Maps while the wife drove and came to the conclusion that have an MP3, Phone and GPS all working from the same device is not a good thing.

When driving, we had the 3GS connected via USB to the car and we can control the ipod via the car and listen to the music we wanted, it was also connected via bluetooth to made and receive calls. Trapster was running and announced over the music an up coming speed trap, which was great. However when a call came in both the music and trasper stops working no announcement about upcoming traps, once the call was over you have to re-initiate Trapster.

I am suspecting that same will hold true for TomTom, anytime you are on a call you loose the ability to get turn by turn direction or even see what you should do next.

The fact the phone is integrated and is the primary use it makes using the phone for other activities while on a call is not practical. Especially if those activities have to use the data network at the same time as call, which TomTom claims it can get traffic and other updates on the fly. When you have call you loose the data service on the phone.

Also when you receive a call you can access other apps, but they requires you to mess with the phone while driving to get app run during a call which is not a good thing.

I was hopping that this software would be like $50 which would make it worth the money, but at $169 I'll keep and carry around my TomTom and us it.
  • Reply 65 of 114
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

WOW! No thanks. I was really looking forward to this product too. I think TomTom priced themselves out of most iPhone owner's price range. I'll pick up a magnetic compass and map before I'll buy this TomTom product.

Ha ha ha ha, this is one of the funniest posts here. In one thread we have a topic about how much money Apple makes off it (and that is acceptable in peoples eyes), and here we have a product that sells for a third the cost of an iPhone being out of most iPhones owner's price ranges.
  • Reply 66 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Ha ha ha ha, this is one of the funniest posts here. In one thread we have a topic about how much money Apple makes off it (and that is acceptable in peoples eyes), and here we have a product that sells for a third the cost of an iPhone being out of most iPhones owner's price ranges.

Did you notice the username of the person posting??? Sofabutt

Perhaps that says it all.

I've thought the same thing about people complaining about the cost of some apps. If it's any good it's worth the money. For instance, the price of the OS upgrades for touch users. I have an iPhone so I don't have to pay for the upgrade but I'd be willing to pay the $10 for the upgrade. Small price to pay for enhanced functionality.
  • Reply 67 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

It would be cool if Apple licensed OS X with certain HW to be the default radio/temp/GPS/etc/ for a bunch of car systems. I doubt it could happen, but it would be cool if it did.

Agreed, they could take over another "ecosystem." But I don't see it happening. But imagine the iPhone apps, GPS, Music, etc. connecting to the car's electronic system via a 30 connector pin tying the iPod Touch or iPhone to be the main screen and brain. They could save $'s on screens, radios, etc. and it could all be controlled from the steering wheel, eg., volume, phone, and of course voice! You could pull into your home and it would connect via wifi and sync automatically with your home or office, computer... mileage, maintenance, Battery charge, gas tank, tire pressure, etc., etc.

Anyway pretty cool!
  • Reply 68 of 114
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

If I recall correctly, that cradle actually has its own gps radio that they say is a lot stronger than the iPhones, which will allow for better performance. Keep that in mind when considering the price.

So........... does it work with the iPod touch?

(edit: looks like several people have the same question)
  • Reply 69 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post

I wish the cradle would accommodate an iPhone that's in a case. Looks like it'll only hold a bare unit.

A concern I have, and was mentioned in an earlier post, the cradle won't offer any protection from the sun when attached to the windshield. When I run my current nav app, the unit gets quite warm when it's not sitting directly in the sun and it appears the this cradle will keep it nice and toasty. Maybe there's a place in my car that can accommodate the suction cup away from direct sun. They should design it so there's a shield to block overhead direct sunlight.

The price doesn't seem too high if that includes the software and cradle when compared to the full price for the Navigon software. I have the Navigon and am happy with it but the GPS boost and better speaker for voice commands would be a welcome improvement.

This is a very good point. I don't know how an iPhone or iPod touch will perform after being placed in direct sunlight for an hour or more. My Tom Tom can sit in the sun all day now and still perform like a champ, and there's no problem viewing the display either. The iPhone/touch display (in my experience) has poor visibility in direct sunlight. I think sticking with a Tom Tom or other GPS unit will be the ultimate conclusion most will arrive at.
  • Reply 70 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Not worth it at that price,

I had chance to play with Trapster and Maps while the wife drove and came to the conclusion that have an MP3, Phone and GPS all working from the same device is not a good thing.

When driving, we had the 3GS connected via USB to the car and we can control the ipod via the car and listen to the music we wanted, it was also connected via bluetooth to made and receive calls. Trapster was running and announced over the music an up coming speed trap, which was great. However when a call came in both the music and trasper stops working no announcement about upcoming traps, once the call was over you have to re-initiate Trapster.

I am suspecting that same will hold true for TomTom, anytime you are on a call you loose the ability to get turn by turn direction or even see what you should do next.

The fact the phone is integrated and is the primary use it makes using the phone for other activities while on a call is not practical. Especially if those activities have to use the data network at the same time as call, which TomTom claims it can get traffic and other updates on the fly. When you have call you loose the data service on the phone.

Also when you receive a call you can access other apps, but they requires you to mess with the phone while driving to get app run during a call which is not a good thing.

I was hopping that this software would be like $50 which would make it worth the money, but at $169 I'll keep and carry around my TomTom and us it.

I agree with all of your points. Sometimes a Swiss Army knife is not the best tool for the job.
  • Reply 71 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

So for LESS money you can get a dedicated unit... wait, can someone define 'competitive' for me?

Your dedicated unit can't connect to the interwebs and get real-time traffic conditions.
  • Reply 72 of 114
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

He specifically said he was driving.

Nope, he said when driving, not when he was driving. That could mean when someone else was driving. Even still, if he's a good enough driver to multitask, then have at it. Some people can chew bubble gum and walk at the same time.

I think Tom Tom wants to price this high as not to cannibalize sales of their GPS units. Companies like Tom Tom and Garmin want to sell their own hardware, thats where they make the money. That's why you don't see a big push for these companies offering their software to automobile manufacturers.

Having hardware like this mount is gravy for them. RIght now they are they only ones with the cradle solution so they can charge whatever they want to until someone else enters the market and offers a cheaper solution. Hello Garmin?
  • Reply 73 of 114
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That was quoted from the original article, the price was £113.85 ($193.75), VAT included. They calculated the £99 price, excluding VAT, based on that.

My apologies. I still can't see that quote in the article, but having clicked through to the link provided does indeed show £113 inc. VAT.
  • Reply 74 of 114
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

If I recall correctly, that cradle actually has its own gps radio that they say is a lot stronger than the iPhones, which will allow for better performance. Keep that in mind when considering the price.

I don't see any issues with the performance of the GPS unit in the iPhone 3GS.

To test this I put my 3GS on google maps last night whilst driving home and had my route programmed in. I switched to my location with the compass active (to point the map the way I was facing and followed the blue dot on the map all the way home. No issues at all.
  • Reply 75 of 114
    My goodness. That's expensive for an app and a dock!
  • Reply 76 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I don't see any issues with the performance of the GPS unit in the iPhone 3GS.

To test this I put my 3GS on google maps last night whilst driving home and had my route programmed in. I switched to my location with the compass active (to point the map the way I was facing and followed the blue dot on the map all the way home. No issues at all.

+1. I will not be getting this app because I think it is redundent.
  • Reply 77 of 114
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Your dedicated unit can't connect to the interwebs and get real-time traffic conditions.

Actually, it can get real-time traffic conditions. Interweb? not sure (I have an older TomTom model).

Edit: Just checked. Internet? Yes to some extent : "a real-time connection to HD Traffic, Safety Alerts, Fuel prices, weather, Local search with Google and more"

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 78 of 114
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Actually, it can get real-time traffic conditions. Interweb? not sure (I have an older TomTom model).

Edit: Just checked. Internet? Yes to some extent : "a real-time connection to HD Traffic, Safety Alerts, Fuel prices, weather, Local search with Google and more"

Regs, Jarkko

Why didn't you include the exact link? Heck you didn't even give us your search criteria.

Where you afraid to show the price, i.e., the TomTom GO 740 LIVE that you most likely were referencing, is priced at $369.95 US and it won't do a smidgen of what the iPhone is capable. http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Lid=4

Certainly it is not portable, unless you can put your vehicle in your pocket.

I would suggest that every body visit TomTom's iPhone site and get the latest info. http://iphone.tomtom.com/

TomTom for iPhone

The TomTom navigation application for iPhone; an Apple version of TomTom’s award-winning turn-by-turn navigation software, including IQ Routes and latest maps from Tele Atlas;
    • The TomTom navigation application for iPhone; an Apple version of TomTom’s award-winning turn-by-turn navigation software, including IQ Routes and latest maps from Tele Atlas;

• The TomTom car kit for iPhone; a specially developed car kit for secure docking, enhanced GPS performance, clear voice instructions, hands-free calling and in-car charging.

As well, Check out Apple’s key note speech. Scroll to 1:22 minutes for the TomTom for iPhone demonstration. http://iphone.tomtom.com/announcement.html

Note, TomTom is bringing out the App and Car Kit separately. That should tell you something, i.e., they will be separately priced and an app for which you don't need the car kit to use.

A Car Kit, which by the way, a bunch of you never even considered the features but went ballistic on a rumored price.
  • Reply 79 of 114
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Note, TomTom is bringing out the App and Holder separately. That should tell you something, i.e., they will be separately priced and you don't need the holder. A holder which a bunch of you never even considered the features but went ballistic on a rumored price.

Ummm, since apps can only be sold through the app store, all this should tell anyone is that the app is being sold through the store. Of course they have to sold separately. Unless you know of a way to sell the cradle through the app store or think TomTom will provide a jailbreak for all buyer so they can ship the app with the cradle. Seriously, the fact that the cradle is sold separately from the app should tell you nothing. at all.

For the rest of your points, besides internet rumours, can you provide links where TomTom states that the App will be fully functional without the cradle? With the rumoured price, if it is accurate, and is for the cradle, then the price every one went ballistic about will perhaps be even higher, once they add the app.
  • Reply 80 of 114
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    From http://iphone.tomtom.com

Quote:

TomTom has made navigation available for your iPhone 3G. All you need is:
    • the TomTom app including the latest maps

(coming soon to the iTunes App Store)

• the TomTom car kit that offers secure docking, enhanced GPS performance, clear voice instructions and hands-free calling, while charging your iPhone at the same time.

That quote, to me at least, doesn't suggest the cradle is complimentary to the app, but a requirement of the app.

Also, I've read some people questioning about line out... the cradle has a 3.5mm mini jack on the side for music. Not sure how the hands free bit is working, but seeing as Apple are doing the software, they might well be working with TomTom about other aspects of the iPhone to work with the dock connector. Maybe the app will allow the phone to work as a sub-process of the app some how, which in turn would allow the audio to be played through the connector in the same way the audio directions are. Would also mean you don't loose the maps screen.

I don't know, I'm just speculating... as we all are.