Apple releases Mac OSX 10.5.8 update for Leopard

13567

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 131
    its not as smooth.

    minor hiccups here and there.

    safari seems slower

    and time machine freezes and then unfreezes
  • Reply 42 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post


    its not as smooth.

    minor hiccups here and there.

    safari seems slower

    and time machine freezes and then unfreezes



    Out of curiosity, just why did you think updating so soon was a good idea?



    And how did you do it?
  • Reply 43 of 131
    bert32bert32 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    And so it begins with the early adopters.



    No, we have no idea which bug is doing that to you.



    Try doing what you should have done. Download the combined update, and try again.



    Also fix permissions.





    I downloaded the combo update, installed it and the problem persists.
  • Reply 44 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Out of curiosity, just why did you think updating so soon was a good idea?



    And how did you do it?



    same for snow leopard. i wont buy it for a month.

    I leant my lesson

    and

    top left click apple logo and then click on software update
  • Reply 45 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bert32 View Post


    I downloaded the combo update, installed it and the problem persists.



    Did you fix permissions? You don't say that you did?



    If you did, and you still have the problem, either there is some other software that is corrupted, a third party app is causing a problem, or there is a bug in the update, which happens.



    Prefs can get corrupted. It could be from a problem with the Brightness.monitorPanel, or the Contrast.monitorPanel in the System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resourses folder. But I can't explain what to do with confidence that you won't get lost trying it.



    It could also be the Display.prefPane.



    There are a couple of others, but I'm not sure how to tell you to go about checking them out. If you remove them, they won't be re-created as a plist usually will be, and your system will be screwed.



    Hopefully, it will be something simpler that will work itself out.
  • Reply 46 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post


    same for snow leopard. i wont buy it for a month.

    I leant my lesson

    and

    top left click apple logo and then click on software update



    Even though Apple has Software Update, it's always a good idea to download the combo update, and install from there.



    The smaller one usually updates some of these files, leaves others alone, and replaces others. It can be a mess.



    The combo update simply replaces everything all at once, and is safer.



    I would do that, and then fix permissions. You can try permissions first, but I don't think that will help.



    I know that some people razz me for saying this, but people sometimes have some disk corruption, or problems that they aren't aware of. If you do, that could cause a problem. The updates don't do the thorough job of diskchecking that an upgrade does (though, just to be on the safe side I do check the disk first).



    If you do have a problem, it doesn't hurt to check the disk.
  • Reply 47 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    This is the recommended procedure from macfixit.com



    I recommend people bookmark them, and read them once a week or so.



    Quote:

    The update weighs in at 165MB in Software Update, and is on the Apple downloads page as well at 274MB. As with all system updates, be sure to back up your system before applying this one, especially with a bootable or full system restore solution such as Time Machine or a cloning option. When applying this update, the computer will restart to the grey Apple screen with the spinning wheel, and will then reboot again. While the update may take some time to apply, allow it to complete on its own and do not interrupt the process by restarting the system.



    As an extra precaution against errors that may arise when updating, we recommend you take the following steps when applying the update. Performing these steps after updating can also help fix update problems if they arise:



    Download the "combo" updater for this update (available here)

    Reboot into Safe Mode

    Run a permissions fix and drive check on the boot drive with Disk Utility

    Apply the update and reboot

    Run a permissions fix again with Disk Utility

    UPDATE: Direct downloads are now available:



    10.5.8 Combo Update Download -- 759MB

    10.5.8 Standard Update Download -- 274MB



    Their page is here:



    http://www.macfixit.com/
  • Reply 48 of 131
    This update blows.



    Time Machine and other USB drives don't show up on the desktop anymore. You have to open finder and navigate to them. Also, files on the desktop don't appear on the desktop any longer. Those must be navigated to in Finder as well.



    Safari has crashed twice in the hour since I updated my system. No stalling or anything. Just normal operating loading non-resource intensive pages, and then suddenly the program quits.



    iTunes is absolutely FUBAR. It tells me "The folder 'iTunes' cannot be found or created, and is required. The default location for this folder is inside the 'Music' folder." That prompt is given despite the presence of that iTunes folder. The same one that was there before the update. It won't even launch the application. It just gives the prompt and only lets you select "OK." To make matters worse, I can't even CMD-shift-4 the bitch to grab quick screen caps to share with folks.



    This is absolutely ridiculous.
  • Reply 49 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post


    This update blows.



    Time Machine and other USB drives don't show up on the desktop anymore. You have to open finder and navigate to them. Also, files on the desktop don't appear on the desktop any longer. Those must be navigated to in Finder as well.



    Safari has crashed twice in the hour since I updated my system. No stalling or anything. Just normal operating loading non-resource intensive pages, and then suddenly the program quits.



    iTunes is absolutely FUBAR. It tells me "The folder 'iTunes' cannot be found or created, and is required. The default location for this folder is inside the 'Music' folder." That prompt is given despite the presence of that iTunes folder. The same one that was there before the update. It won't even launch the application. It just gives the prompt and only lets you select "OK." To make matters worse, I can't even CMD-shift-4 the bitch to grab quick screen caps to share with folks.



    This is absolutely ridiculous.



    Look at my last post, right above yours.
  • Reply 50 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Look at my last post, right above yours.



    All your post says is to ensure you create a backup before updating. Once I restore my system to the old settings, I'm supposed to redownload the same update and try again?
  • Reply 51 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post


    All your post says is to ensure you create a backup before updating. Once I restore my system to the old settings, I'm supposed to redownload the same update and try again?



    Did you read the entire instruction set given? It doesn't read that way from this post.
  • Reply 52 of 131
    bert32bert32 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Did you fix permissions? You don't say that you did?



    If you did, and you still have the problem, either there is some other software that is corrupted, a third party app is causing a problem, or there is a bug in the update, which happens.



    Prefs can get corrupted. It could be from a problem with the Brightness.monitorPanel, or the Contrast.monitorPanel in the System/Library/MonitorPanels/AppleDisplay.monitorPanels/Contents/Resourses folder. But I can't explain what to do with confidence that you won't get lost trying it.



    It could also be the Display.prefPane.



    There are a couple of others, but I'm not sure how to tell you to go about checking them out. If you remove them, they won't be re-created as a plist usually will be, and your system will be screwed.



    Hopefully, it will be something simpler that will work itself out.



    I did repair permissions. I checked those files but they seemed to be last modified on sep 24, 2007 1:46 AM, the Display.prefPane on Sep 24, 2007 1:07 AM. I don't think they were modified with this update.



    I even repaired permissions twice, but the problem persists. Anyone out there having the same issues?
  • Reply 53 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Look at my last post, right above yours.



    I know I've backed up with Time Machine several times in the last week. When I went to install this update, it spent about an hour saying it was backing up my files. Now when I look in Time Machine, the latest available system restore is from freaking May. I can't even restore and try again.
  • Reply 54 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bert32 View Post


    I did repair permissions. I checked those files but they seemed to be last modified on sep 24, 2007 1:46 AM, the Display.prefPane on Sep 24, 2007 1:07 AM. I don't think they were modified with this update.



    I even repaired permissions twice, but the problem persists. Anyone out there having the same issues?



    Did you check your drive, and do the combo update?
  • Reply 55 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post


    I know I've backed up with Time Machine several times in the last week. When I went to install this update, it spent about an hour saying it was backing up my files. Now when I look in Time Machine, the latest available system restore is from freaking May. I can't even restore and try again.



    All you're talking about is backing up. That's a good first step.



    The second is to check your HDD. Then to fix permissions.



    Then you go and download the combo update and install it. And then last, you check permissions again.



    Did you do all of that, or did you just do the back-up and install from the Software Update panel?



    Time machine should have been off when you did this.
  • Reply 56 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Apple recommends that you disconnect ALL peripherals except the keyboard and mouse when doing updates or upgrades.



    This is why I don't like the update panel. People rarely read any of the instructions, and all of them aren't there anyway.
  • Reply 57 of 131
    mariomario Posts: 345member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Actually, I think the article is trying to say 10.5.8 is possibly the *very last ever* Leopard update.



    Which a lot of posters here disagree with. I think there will be 10.5.9 around the time/ soon after Snow Leopard is released. Then, there could be a 10.5.10 early next year as the *very last ever so long and goodbye* Leopard update.



    Just my humble onion. I mean opinion.



    I would imagine. Leopard 10.5 is the last OS that still runs on PPC hardware, so it should have a relatively long life. Which means at least security updates should be available for it.
  • Reply 58 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    All you're talking about is backing up. That's a good first step.



    The second is to check your HDD. Then to fix permissions.



    Then you go and download the combo update and install it. And then last, you check permissions again.



    Did you do all of that, or did you just do the back-up and install from the Software Update panel?



    Time machine should have been off when you did this.



    The drive was attached. This is my first Mac, I got it in April.



    I did a Verify Permissions and it came up with several files that said differed and a couple of warnings. I'm running the Repair Permissions right now.



    I was downloading the combo update, but Safari crashed in the middle of the download.



    Thanks for the assistance, btw.
  • Reply 59 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post


    The drive was attached. This is my first Mac, I got it in April.



    I did a Verify Permissions and it came up with several files that said differed and a couple of warnings. I'm running the Repair Permissions right now.



    I was downloading the combo update, but Safari crashed in the middle of the download.



    Thanks for the assistance, btw.



    I wish I could help more. Good luck.
  • Reply 60 of 131
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Out of curiosity, just why did you think updating so soon was a good idea?



    And how did you do it?





    It is obviously a good idea for some people to install early ? the benefit is to them if there are no problems and to slower adopters if there are.



    This is a case where the Kantian categorical imperative doesn't work: if no one updates early then there would be no benefits to updating later.



    People who update later should be less smug about it ? they are essentially parasitizing those who updated earlier than themselves.
Sign In or Register to comment.