Apple releases Mac OSX 10.5.8 update for Leopard

12346

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post


    My God, I didn't know doing an update could be so traumatic!



    - well, I did the update, through Software Update

    - it seemed to work fine

    - no problems

    - and seems to have fixed the problems I was having with Airport.

    \\



    I think the issue for me was that Time Machine was connected and attempted to do a backup while upgrading through System Update. After disconnecting Time Machine, downloading the update from Apple's website, and then reinstalling that update, my system worked fine. My Time Machine drive was all sorts of screwed up afterwards. It would no longer back up anything. I had to format the drive and start over.



    So I think my episode is an example of the importance of making sure peripherals, particularly Time Machine, are disconnected before running a system update.
  • Reply 102 of 131
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakon000 View Post


    As a side note, I noticed a new feature. If you do a restart and hold the Option key you get the boot choice menu, with an added twist. There's now a way to connect to a wireless network right there. I tried it out and it works fine. Not sure what it is supposed to be used for. The connection wasn't held over to the install. Maybe Snow Leopard will take advantage of it.



    So you can join a wireless network to get to a networked CD drive (ala the MacBook Air)?
  • Reply 103 of 131
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    kinda sad the final update to the g 3 4 5 series . goodbye

    snow lep is intel only

    my g4 's all of them rocked

    apple cut's the cord years too early





    Me thinks a 10.5.9 will arrive along side Snow Leopard. Two months is a long time away.
  • Reply 104 of 131
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,270member
    Meh - I ran system update, the updated downloaded and I let it install.



    And that was it. It rebooted twice and all is well. That's on a Late 2008 MBP. I haven't updated the 12" PB G4 yet - will probably do it tonight the same way.



    I will turn time machine off, though. That sounds like some good advice and I'm kind of surprised it doesn't get automatically suspended while software update is running. Seems like a pretty big oversight.
  • Reply 105 of 131
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 528member
    Will be doing the Update later tonight...I'm hoping this fix for not showing certain resolutionsin the Display pane in System Preferences will finally allow me to move back to a nice 16:10 resolution on my TV (Which is also my monitor) instead of the 4:3 I'm stuck using right now.



    But I highly doubt I'm that lucky.
  • Reply 106 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post


    Well SOMEONE has to update as soon as it comes out.

    If we all wait then it will never be tried and you would never install it!!

    Think about it...



    Of course someone will do it early. That doesn't mean that everyone should be a lemming about it.



    It often seems to be the people who are the least knowledgeable and least prepared for problems who do it first. That's my concern. If I had a spare machine available as I usually do, I would update it quickly as well, but to do it on a machine used for everyday tasks is risky.



    The question isn't whether some people will do it, and that we will benefit from their problems. The question is whether those people with problems have really found it to be useful for them.
  • Reply 107 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post


    The term 'parasite' is something of a technical term in mathematical ecology ? it has the usual meaning but not the pejorative connotations. But the general point stands: if some don't go first no one can go second. Those who go second get to watch what happens to those who go first: in that sense they are parasitizing on them. That doesn't mean they are wrong.



    But I agree with JeffDM: whether you go first or delay upgrading is a rational decision you should make depending on your current needs, whether you will risk an on-going project, etc.



    And yes I upgraded, because I have a back up computer which I could turn to if things went pear-shaped. Mostly, however, I am risk-averse. My general point was just that everyone cannot be risk-averse.



    That's true of course. but there are experts on the big Mac sites and others such as Ars Technica and AnandTech that do this after a couple of days, and people can check with their experiences as well.



    When I had my company, I always had one machine set aside for software testing, and I would apply updates to that one first. Even here at home, most of the time I've had a spare machine to test first.



    But why would someone who only has one machine, doesn't do backups, and isn't interested in checking out the best way to update, or upgrade, always seem to be the first to do this? They then seem surprised when they have a problem that they often can't back out if.



    Truthfully, almost none of these people need to update so quickly. A few days wouldn't make a difference. There're not updating because they have to, but as one poster here said, for FUN.
  • Reply 108 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post


    Hey, Mel. I used Software Update with no problems (single reboot, repaired permissions, snappy). But then I saw some of the posts from people having problems, so I then downloaded the Combo Updater and tried installing that just to be on the safe side? problems (Finder started acting strange, sluggishness, etc.). Hard-rebooted into Safe Mode and ran the Combo Updater again. The Combo installer completed the install, but then after clicking on RESTART, the installer wouldn't quit. Hard-rebooted again (this time starting up from my rescue drive), ran Drive Genius, repaired permissions, restarted normally and now I seem to be up and running. Not sure what that was all about.



    About the permissions though? whenever I repair permissions, there's always a laundry list of permissions that "are such-n-such, but should be such-n-so" but Disk Utility never actually changes them no matter how many times I run the repair? Is that normal?



    First of all, let me say that the large majority of people who just update from the Software Update panel have no problems. I want to be clear about that, and that is why Apple does it that way.



    But, enough people do have problems from that, which is why even the people at Apple supply the combo updater.



    I can't answer why you had a problem the second time. There are a host of reason.



    As far as permissions goes. For most people with more that just a couple of programs and a printer, there will be lots of permissions. Many of them will be altered every time you run a repair, many won't. It's nothing to worry about.
  • Reply 109 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post


    After the 10.5.8 update my iMac boots with display's brightness at maximum setting.



    Someone else has this problem as well.



    If it stays that way, try going into the monitors panel and adjusting the settings.
  • Reply 110 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Now why would Apple have "Software Update" if it is flawed as you state? I've never had a problem using it when it advises me that an update is available. However, I refuse to go seek out updates - that's when the problems usually arise IMHO.



    Because it's a matter of percentages. Many millions of people go this route. The large majority have no problems. but that still leaves thousands who do.



    The more complex your system is, the more likely you will have a problem.
  • Reply 111 of 131
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 528member
    Well I did it. It certainly is a bit Snappier. Didn't allow me to use my beloved 1680x1050 though. Ah well. Feels good to be up to date at least.
  • Reply 112 of 131
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    If it stays that way, try going into the monitors panel and adjusting the settings.



    I've tried that. But after each reboot the brightness setting jumps to maximum. I've never had this issue prior to this update.

    PS Actually, this is not a big problem because I rarely reboot my machine. But still, it shouldn't be doing that!
  • Reply 113 of 131
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Because it's a matter of percentages. Many millions of people go this route. The large majority have no problems. but that still leaves thousands who do.



    The more complex your system is, the more likely you will have a problem.



    It sounds here like many have problems with seeking out the combo installer just as much if not more so than software update. Oh well , we'll all be moving on to SL sooner than we know it. Thanks for clarifying to the readers about software update- ot soudned like you were recomending to bypass it.
  • Reply 114 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    First of all, let me say that the large majority of people who just update from the Software Update panel have no problems. I want to be clear about that, and that is why Apple does it that way.



    But, enough people do have problems from that, which is why even the people at Apple supply the combo updater.



    I can't answer why you had a problem the second time. There are a host of reason.



    As far as permissions goes. For most people with more that just a couple of programs and a printer, there will be lots of permissions. Many of them will be altered every time you run a repair, many won't. It's nothing to worry about.



    Thanks for the explanations. The only "problem" I've ever had with Software Update was with 10.5.7 actually when it didn't replace the Energy Saver preference pane icon with the new bulb. I believed several people here had that same problem. Reapplying the update with the Combo Updater fixed the issue.
  • Reply 115 of 131
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bert32 View Post


    After I installed 10.5.8 through software update, my screen resets to full brightness every time I restart. I have an iMac CD2 White Mid-2007. Anyone else having this issue right after the update?, I tried resetting the P-RAM but that doesn't work. Please help!



    You posted this exact same statement word for word on other Mac forums across the net. Are you some kind of spammer?
  • Reply 116 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post


    I've tried that. But after each reboot the brightness setting jumps to maximum. I've never had this issue prior to this update.

    PS Actually, this is not a big problem because I rarely reboot my machine. But still, it shouldn't be doing that!



    No, it shouldn't.
  • Reply 117 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satcomer View Post


    You posted this exact same statement word for word on other Mac forums across the net. Are you some kind of spammer?



    Just someone with a problem that he hopes he can get help with.
  • Reply 118 of 131
    bert32bert32 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Just someone with a problem that he hopes he can get help with.



    Thanks for explaining to him that some people just need help. I'm just sad this is happening to my iMac.
  • Reply 119 of 131
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post


    I think the issue for me was that Time Machine was connected and attempted to do a backup while upgrading through System Update. After disconnecting Time Machine, downloading the update from Apple's website, and then reinstalling that update, my system worked fine. My Time Machine drive was all sorts of screwed up afterwards. It would no longer back up anything. I had to format the drive and start over.



    So I think my episode is an example of the importance of making sure peripherals, particularly Time Machine, are disconnected before running a system update.



    I've always turned off Time Machine during an OS update, and shut down any applications, and patiently see the update through to completion. After reading some of the posts in this thread, i plan to be even more conservative. A point I have not seen is using your admin account strictly for admin purposes (like OS updates) and doing everything else in standard user accounts.
  • Reply 120 of 131
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    sleep not working + the BT icon disappeared and the BT not working anymore.

    How to get back to 10.5.7?

    Edit1: Forgot to mention: the [email protected] update suppose to FIX existing? BT issues, not to brake the BT.

    -1

    Edit2: I've fixed it by deleting the bluetooth.plist and then forced to hard reset the machine. I wish Apple not to send such updates anymore. I've had the same problem with 10.5.7.
Sign In or Register to comment.