Apple's iTunes 9 rumored to have Blu-ray, social media support

Comments

• Reply 181 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianMac2008 View Post

Agreed. I NEVER buy on iTunes, but I VERY frequently download. I love the service and as a student with no tv and no desire to go to the movie store let alone deal with returns and such it is fantastic.

I'm a student too. And the best thing is that I download nearly 20 songs daily from iTunes.
  • Reply 182 of 248
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We'll have a couple of years before we'll see this through.

But if the price is too high to begin with, it may never get started.

Once people get used to watching B-R and using it for a recording format they will never go back to DVD.

I think BR Must rock when you view an action blockbuster film . So how many people are gonna fill there dvd collections with dinner with andre or pretty women .

and how many top quality LOTR type flicks come out every year ?? What kind of movie will sustain a yearly growth for BR ?

The number one reason to drop prices and raise quality is to kill off all pirates . We all win if that happens .

Remember all you luddites the largest music store in the world is all digital itunes. Which is %100 disc>free. WE are already half way disc free with ipod>itunes setup.

I FEEL that Amazon and APPLE with take over the movie buisness.

BR will re-invent itself in another form . IN 5 yrs A

BR-NANO PLAYER will be on-sale

• Reply 183 of 248
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Blu Ray?? What's that?? Most of

my media is already 1080p or 720p.

Gotta love x.264.

Which version? The one for iPod, AppeTV, iPhone, or desktop?
  • Reply 184 of 248
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

We'll have a couple of years before we'll see this through.

Yes we do.

Quote:

But if the price is too high to begin with, it may never get started.

The consumer certainly has to feel what they are getting is worth the cost they are paying.

Quote:

Once people get used to watching B-R and using it for a recording format they will never go back to DVD.

Oh, I see.

Quote:

I'm talking about the future. It will come

I don't see it. My peers are New York professionals in their mid-thirties. A prime demographic for adoption of electronics. Few of us are particularly excited about Blu-ray. Most of us spend more time typing on our phones than looking at television.

Quote:

It isn't the inactive users that matter. It's the active ones. but there is just a fuzzy idea of what that means.

I think they were talking about a broad definition. I don't think they intended to be specific.
  • Reply 185 of 248
    You make a great point. Blu-ray does work well for "The Dark Knight" or any film with an epic scale. There is little need for 1080P or seven point surround sound for a romantic comedy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I think BR Must rock when you view an action blockbuster film . So how many people are gonna fill there dvd collections with dinner with andre or pretty women .

and how many top quality LOTR type flicks come out every year ?? What kind of movie will sustain a yearly growth for BR ?

• Reply 186 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffery00 View Post

iSkysoft DVD Ripper Pack for Mac is a perfect combination of Mac DVD Ripper and Mac Video Converter.With this suite you can rip your dvd and convert your video to almost any video format supported by your iPod/iPhone/PSP/Zune/Creative Zen/iRiver/Sansa,etc.

Key functions:

1: A powerful Mac video converter and Mac DVD ripping software

Rip DVDs and convert videos to all sorts of video formats and audio formats for playback on most portable video and audio players.

2: Select DVD subtitle and audio track

Select any available subtitle and audio track on your DVDs.

3: Advanced encoding settings

Set video encoding settings including resolution, frame rate, encoder, and bit rate, and set audio output settings including sample rate, channel, encoder and bit rate.

4: Set video effects

Customize movie video effects by setting video brightness, contrast, saturation, and applying a special video effect.

5: Merge file

iSkysoft DVD Ripper Pack allows you to merge and convert more than one DVD title (chapter) or video file in to one file.

6:Trim DVD and video files

Trim your DVD and video to output your favorite DVD and video clips only.

7: Video crop

Crop video to remove black sides from your DVD or video files.

8: Preview

Preview your movie before conversion to adjust the output quality.

iPhone Ringtone Maker

Best DVD Ripper

Mac DVD to iPhone

SMack! An ad in the middle of a thread. This is going to wasteland.
  • Reply 187 of 248
    ossianossian Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That was his point. What can be perceived regardless of the actual resolution on the screen.

6 feet is really close for a 40" television. That means the TV is larger than is needed for your room.

That's true although I also like to sit close to my 42" plasma. I could sit at the other end of the room but I like sitting close as I like the big screen cinema feel.
  • Reply 188 of 248
    ossianossian Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Sitting 6 feet from a 42" screen WILL give some of the benefit of 1080p, but you need to get to 5 feet before you can get all the benefit. Is that what you're saying? If it is, then fine, but be careful how you describe what you see.

Exactly. However this is based purely on resolution and ignores quality of the source, native resolution of device versus up/down-scaled etc,

The two weakest arguments against blu ray are

(1) price of "software". Shop around and most new releases can be found for bargain prices (Amazon is a great place to start)

(2) DVD looks the "great". I keep hearing people argue that DVD looks great on there 50+ inch plasma screens and frankly they must be blind. I see blocking effects, unintended motion blur, soft images, banding, difficulty with rendering smoke and dust storms without macro blocking, etc. and that's watching on my 42".

The one argument for blu ray that doesn't interest me at this point in the curve, is storage. Hard disks are much better for this.

I didn't buy the new Macbook Pro 13 because I am not buying another laptop until it has Blu Ray support. If I am abroad I like to buy movies and watch them on my laptop. I have stopped buying DVDs.
  • Reply 189 of 248
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Its not too difficult to go from 1% to 2% or even 5% to 10%. If BR went from 25% to 50% then we could be talking.

you never know what might happen do you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8192840.stm
  • Reply 190 of 248
    Quote:

You make a great point. Blu-ray does work well for "The Dark Knight" or any film with an epic scale. There is little need for 1080P or seven point surround sound for a romantic comedy.

can we convert old movies into bluray or even tv series like dark angel
  • Reply 191 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ossian View Post

Exactly. However this is based purely on resolution and ignores quality of the source, native resolution of device versus up/down-scaled etc,

(1) price of "software". Shop around and most new releases can be found for bargain prices (Amazon is a great place to start)

(2) DVD looks the "great". I keep hearing people argue that DVD looks great on there 50+ inch plasma screens and frankly they must be blind. I see blocking effects, unintended motion blur, soft images, banding, difficulty with rendering smoke and dust storms without macro blocking, etc. and that's watching on my 42".

The one argument for blu ray that doesn't interest me at this point in the curve, is storage. Hard disks are much better for this.

I didn't buy the new Macbook Pro 13 because I am not buying another laptop until it has Blu Ray support. If I am abroad I like to buy movies and watch them on my laptop. I have stopped buying DVDs.

YET the movie playback on my MBP 15" rivals any on the planet

except maybe bluray

i said maybe .

I just watched the international and was blown away

good luck
  • Reply 192 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

SMack! An ad in the middle of a thread. This is going to wasteland.

WHY are you posting spam ??
  • Reply 193 of 248
    Quote:

The number one reason to drop prices and raise quality is to kill off all pirates . We all win if that happens .

Remember all you luddites the largest music store in the world is all digital itunes. Which is %100 disc>free. WE are already half way disc free with ipod>itunes setup.

I FEEL that Amazon and APPLE with take over the movie buisness.

BR will re-invent itself in another form . IN 5 yrs A

BR-NANO PLAYER will be on-sale

The option of going entirely disc free on the movie front has been there for a long, long time. Renting straight off your TV via cable, subscribing to a premium movie service, etc. has been an option for quite some time. Yet, despite this and despite the fact that owning movies via optical media ? DVD and now either DVD or Blu-Ray ? is by far the most expensive way to get your movie fix, millions of people still buy their movies in optical-disc form.

This being the case, why is it that so many are in a hurry to declare optical media dead?

Optical media has its advantages and will not be replaced by digital downloads. Rather, I believe they will co-exist, much as we have seen many forms of media evolve over the years. Cinema has lived on, as has radio, as has television, and so on and so on. Maybe some adjustments are needed, sure, but as the human population continues to grow ? not to mention the base of consumers dramatically expanding in many foreign markets like China and India ? economies of scale still work in a splintered environment. It's not one size fits all any more.
  • Reply 194 of 248
    Quote:

You're talking about a generation of folks who came to believe that NTSC television was just fine thank you. We have grown accustomed to accepting far less than good quality in our TV images.

When it's claimed that DVD is good enough, I can see why in that compared to what we have been used to, upconverted DVD is quite good. Don't forget that the average consumer for a few years now has been under the mistaken impression that HD TV means that if you have a big screen ? especially if its flat ? anything you watch on that screen is HD.

We have been conditioned, more or less, to watch TV with something less than a critical eye, if only because if we didn't older technology would have driven us crazy. I look at upconverted DVD and my initial reaction is that it's not bad. But if I start watching HD-DVD, upon switching back for a few minutes it strikes me that lesser sources are just plain awful. Then my training honed over decades of TV viewing kicks in and I'm fine with what I'm seeing all over again.

This sort of decades-old conditioning is going to take a while to reverse.
  • Reply 195 of 248
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I am so over optical media. Early in our marriage, my wife bought me a 200 disk CD changer for my birthday. This was around the time of the first iPod. It didn't take long before all my music was in portable, digital form. To this day, all of my CD's are still in that disk changer in a closet somewhere. Today, I would rather torrent a movie that I own rather than find the disk and put it into the drive. I don't remember the last time I brought media with me on the road.

I also produce a little music as a hobby. My last CD was literally my last CD. There is no reason to burn them anymore. Digital distribution is the only thing that makes sense to a small producer like me. Giving pieces of plastic to family and friends is silly when you can just point them to a web page. It is much cheaper and more profitable to sell music digitally than on plastic disks.

Now with the rise of large, inexpensive hard drives, movies are next. The only thing keeping BR alive is the lack of bandwidth and none downloadable special features. It is not just that BR is dead; optical is dead. How long will it be before we no longer go to stores to buy applications on disks?
  • Reply 196 of 248
    cuttercutter Posts: 17member
    Quote:

mayne i will vist you mel in 7 yrs and we can laff about how wrong we all was .

What the hell is wrong with you?
  • Reply 197 of 248
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

That was his point. What can be perceived regardless of the actual resolution on the screen.

6 feet is really close for a 40" television. That means the TV is larger than is needed for your room.

ummm 6 feet is perfect for a 40".
  • Reply 198 of 248
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

It could be argued that anything better than what they got before is "great". And there are a LOT of variables that can affect how well a DVD upscales. Some of the artifacts you are seeing are likely the result of a crappy scaler in your TV or DVD player. I've watched DVDs on my 42" plasma that do, in fact, look great. But they look like crap on my brother's lower-end HDTV. And if your widescreen DVD was encoded as anamorphic it will look vastly better on an HDTV than a DVD which was encoded with letterboxing.

I'm not saying it's blu-ray quality, but the overall picture quality is better than a lot of the cable company's 1080i. And the real question isn't if it's great. It's if it's good enough. A lot of audiophiles complained that iTunes 128kbps AAC music was crappy, but it was good enough for most people. There are very few of my DVDs that I would ever feel the need to upgrade to the blu-ray versions because they do look very good upscaled. And I'm not so anal when watching movies that I'm going to care that much about the difference blu-ray would bring.
  • Reply 199 of 248
    Quote:

If its a professionally produced DVD/Blu-ray the quality of the source should be top notch.

Quote:

Yes the price of BR materials is going down, but then so is the price of DVD materials.

Its not so much that DVD looks great, its that DVD is good enough to keep most people from feeling the need to go buy a new BR player or invest in a BR collection.

Quote:

What's the point of watching BR on a 1440x900 screen?
  • Reply 200 of 248
    Technically yes. Those shows were all shot on film. Film's resolution is far beyond 1920x1080.

The problem is aspect ratio. Those shows were not shot for 16x9, that aspect ration was not protected. So many of those old shows will either have to be 4x3 native or stretched.

Quote:

can we convert old movies into bluray or even tv series like dark angel