best book

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    anything by:

Earnest Hemingway (recommend: A Farewell to Arms)

Joseph Conrad (recommend: "Heart of Darkness" or "The Secret Sharer")

Mark Twain (recommend: Huckleberry Finn)

Absolutely NOTHING by Ayn Rand, especially The Fountainhead.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    No one has any Russian authors!

War & Peace

I think I started reading it just for the challenge of reading a big book. But it's really an easy read - very engrossing. It's interesting because it weaves in historical events with the characters. I went out and rented the movie versions after reading it.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    The best book I've read is either 1984 by George Orwell or Bram Stoker's Dracula.

The best book that I was forced to read is either Mary Shelly's Frankenstein or Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    Best books forced to read:

Night by Elie Wiesel

Having Our Say by Sarah and Elizabeth Delany

Best book read.

The Myst Series.

Greatest book of all time:

HOP ON POP!!!!

and we can't forget,

Lord Of The Rings......may it live on and on....
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Oh my, how could I forget childrens books...

Goodbye moon rules.

But the best, and I do mean BEST childrens book I can remember (actually I remember most of this book to this day, its still great):

Remember the Midnight Rainbow.

I credit most of my desire to write to this book

"If the sky falls use shooting stars as streetlamps"

Does any one else remember this? (it was kind of a back water beatnik publisher I think).

Any how, Id just like to add one more book to my list here:

Neuromancer.

Im sorry, this book is by far the coolest book Ive read, probably the most original too. Still not as good as "Breakfast of Champions" though.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Tolkein novels are some of the best I've read.

The Bible always keeps me coming back (I can never catch all the little hidden meanings in it )

CS Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.

Hitchhikers Guide series.

and many many more...
  • Reply 47 of 65
    Favorite Sci Fi:

Neuromancer

Mona Lisa Overdrive

Count Zero

Idoru

and Johnny Mnemonic, my fave short story (butchered by a lame movie I never saw)

His stuff is creepy cuz he wrote Neuromancer twenty years ago, but it is more true today than ever. He writes 'cultural Sci Fi' which is a very intriguing take on an old and typically cheesy genre. If you like Bladerunner, I'd recommend all his books.

all by William Gibson, who lives in Vancouver, BC

Good books:

The Code Book by Simon Singh (it covers the history of cryptography, from Julius Caesar to Quantum cryptogaphy, sounds really boring but ain't)

The Man who was Thursday, by G K Chesterton

The Conquest of Gaul by Julius Caesar (interesting to read his 'diary' and military strategy)

The End Of Print, a collection of essays on design collected by David Carson, a notable graphic designer (Raygun, etc).

9 Short Stories by JD Salinger. Phenomenal.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    BTW, Johnny Mnemonic is a 30 page short-story that can be found in a collection of his short stories called 'Burning Chrome'.

30 pages will take you like 30 mins-1 hour to read, and will give you a taste of the dopeness that is William Gibson fiction.

Also, it is nothing like the movie, I know because I have a signed copy of the short story and screenplay.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Oh, and good computery non-fiction:

The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier by Bruce Sterling

All you cheapos can read it <a href="http://www.lysator.liu.se/etexts/hacker/"; target="_blank">here.</a>
  • Reply 50 of 65
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace</strong><hr></blockquote>

I second that. Neal Stephenson eat your heart out. I really enjoyed Cryptonomicon, but its not even in the same league as Infinite Jest.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>

The Conquest of Gaul by Julius Caesar (interesting to read his 'diary' and military strategy)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Interesting. Did you read it in Latin or English? I never read it completely, but my Latin teacher thought Caesar was one of the greatest Roman writers. I can still recite most of the opening from Latin II three years ago.

Gaula est omnis divisa in partes tres. Quoram unam incolunt Belgi, aliam Aquitani, tertia ...
  • Reply 52 of 65
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    heh. I read an english translation. I'm not that masochistic.

Latin is interesting, but not interesting enough for me to learn. I can catch the gist of it though.

Gaul is divided into three parts...
  • Reply 53 of 65
    Catch 22

I also liked enders game.. not one of the best, but its still one of my favorites.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Toebwon

sorry i am a bit late for that thread, but i found it just right now.

1. SCANNERS DARKLY by P. K. Dick

2. GRAVITY'S Rainbow by T. Pynchon

or other way around, quite unsure...
  • Reply 55 of 65
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Wow...congrats, you have managed to bump a two year old thread.

Usually, you just start a new one when it's this old...just a suggestion though. 8)

Fellowship is already working his butt off, this just gives him something else to do. Haha.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Usually, you just start a new one when it's this old...just a suggestion though.

Please explain usually ... er ... in these times...
  • Reply 57 of 65
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

Ulysses-- James Joyce

Moby Dick-- Melville

Independent People-- Laxness

A Farewell to Arms-- Hemingway

Gravity's Rainbow-- Pynchon

Laughter in the Dark--Nabokov

100 Years of Solitude-- Marquez

Wise Blood--Flannery O'Connor

Light in August--Faulkner

Waterland--Graham Swift

Kristin Lavransdatter--Sigrid Undsett

Just a dozen of my faves of the last hundred years (or so). And no, I never was forced to read them. :cool:

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

Holy crap. I was all set to moan about the taste in books in this thread (with the exception of Groverat's _Infinite Jest_), and here you come with a solid list that includes _Waterland_, one of the finest modern novels in English, I would argue.

To which I say:

Melville, Moby Dick

Swift, Waterland

Eliot, Middlemarch

Hardy, Far from the Madding Crowd

Dillard, An American Childhood

Shelley, Frankenstein

Fielding, Tom Jones

Austen, Pride & Prejudice

Bronte, Jane Eyre

Thackeray, Vanity Fair

I'd better stop now.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Please explain usually ... er ... in these times...

When you look at all the threads on the page and there are more of them with locks on them than are open (like tonight...it's a bloodbath in here), it's time to start a new thread...one that can foster good, intelligent discussion. This one is just way too old, the mods don't like it if you bump a 6 month old thread let alone 2 years! It's not a huge deal, but it would probably just make their lives easier. That said, I don't speak for the mods and administrators of this board, I just go on what I hear from them.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    I guess an appropriate book for this thread would be "Necronomicon Ex Mortis"
  • Reply 60 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

...This one is just way too old, the mods don't like it if you bump a 6 month old thread let alone 2 years! ...

And why do you participate? If the mods don't like that? Do you want to argue with them? Don't be square, do you, hm, sweetheart?