best book

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I like the train wreck that is Chuck Pahalnuik. Very twisted mind.

As for more intellectual fare, Catch 22, Slaughterhouse 5, and Brave New World spring to mind.

My upcoming hitlist includes The Narnia Chronicles, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Working my through a few classics
  • Reply 62 of 65
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Ham on Rye - Charles Bukowski
  • Reply 63 of 65
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    A lot of people seem to like Atlas shrugged. I am a Libertarian, and -- believe it or not -- I am not a big fan of that one. However, The Fountainhead is much better fiction, much less ridiculous, and gets most of the same points across. So if you liked Atlas, I think you'll probably prefer Fountainhead.

As for my favorite? As far as novels are concerned. . . Gee. . . It's a tough choice, but stepping away from the "novel" criteria I really liked reading Measure for Measure, or for that matter any of Shakespeare's dark comedies. Interestingly, I don't really like watching them being performed. I like other dark comedies too. Chances are, if it's dark, and if it's a comedy. . . I like it.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    No one ever mention Dalton Trumbo on these types of threads. Why is that? Johnny Got his Gun is an excellent novel turn movie turn Metallica video backdrop. Its one of my alltime favorites.