Apple rumored to create social media consolidation client

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I would like to see a way to publish your iTunes library to a MobileMe gallery. Ideally, it would act like the Grid View in iTunes. Visitors could browse your library, and stream previews directly from the iTunes Store. Last.fm playback data could be integrated.

It sounds like you could write an app for that for Windows and OS X for a new social networking site. Or even a way for it to tie into MySpace, Facebook, etc. so that friends can your music. Even have it update the app on Facebook or a plugin in MySpace with the song you are currently listening too. Personally, I have no need for such a thing as I?m an old fart, but technically it?s not difficult to parse the iTunes Library XML file and make a webpage of the data.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    My guess is : iChat going twitter style and available for windows. iChat integration with twitter, facebook, flickr! iChat on the iPhone ...
  • Reply 23 of 57
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

but I have difficulty understanding the value of seeing that someone watched Episode17 of Fringe last night.

What is Chris_CA doing right now?

Reviewing AppleInsider articles

• Reply 24 of 57
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

you can do it on the blackberry

a lot of people were even complaining that when you installed the BB facebook app it added pictures to all your address book contacts from facebook. there is an iphone app, but since there is a duplicate data bug in the iphone sync software it doesn't work very well

I've heard of people complaining about BB downloading the pictures too. Maybe some folks want that, but I can't imagine that I would want all my FB friends added to my iPhone contacts.....and then synced to my Mac.

First of all, my "Friends" group in my contacts are my real friends...the ones I call and email and hang out with regularly. Most of them are FB friends too. But then there are the 100 or so FB friends that are just people I met at a party or was introduced to at a bar....and all of a sudden now we're FB friends, but whatever, it's just FB. I definitely don't want these mere acquaintances in my iPhone contacts.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

My guess is : iChat going twitter style and available for windows. iChat integration with twitter, facebook, flickr! iChat on the iPhone ...

Hmm, I?ve heard about iChat for Windows for awhile but the idea has never rang true to me. I don?t see a financial advantage for it like iTunes to sell iPods/iPhones and Safari and QuickTime to push certain standards. With iChat for Windows they are using 3rd-party protocols. It seems like it would tie some things together but without a business model of some kind that Apple can benefit from I don?t believe it will happen.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post

Agreed. Me.com is sufficient, but definitely not top of its class, especially when there are free alternatives from Google, etc. I was kind of hoping Apple would just integrate Mac OS X with Google's mail and calendar services. I know there are third-party utilities that do this, but it's so much nicer when it's built-in and just works.

As a MobileMe user I have to disagree with this.

It may be expensive, and it certainly has limited functionality, but it is most definitely "top of it's class" in terms of usability and the manner in which the things it does have are implemented. There are free alternatives for each part of the MobileMe service but to categorise the necessary struggle with implementing and integrating all those multiple alternatives into your life as being in a "better class" than MobileMe is quite an exaggeration IMO.

If those other free products were easier to use, and also had more functionality than MobileMe you might have a point, but at the moment MobileMe is pretty much just equivalent to those services but better executed, more integrated, and of course, more expensive. But that's what people are paying for, the lack of having to struggle and set it all up themselves.

Google's services in particular only make any kind of sense if you already have most of your identity connected to Google (as you yourself seem to have). A new user trying to pick between the two alternatives gains no real advantage over using the Google based free alternatives other than price, and they loose the advantage of having it all set up for them.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Twitter and Facebook are huge right now. If Apple can market that they have a cool client for those sites it could lead to better sales. Now throw in some itunes goodness and it can help with itunes and perhaps ipod/iphone sales.

No matter how much the media wants to spin it, native looking apps are still heavily desired over dressed up sites in web browsers. If Apple can have one included in the OS or with iLife, that can be a nice perk for many if it looks and works good.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Apple Squirt?

Welcome to the new social.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

As a MobileMe user I have to disagree with this.

Me too. For $65/year it?s saved me several times over the years. Now it has more features and capacity than ever and it?s still the same price.

People seem to only focus on one or two of MobileMe?s features when they make decisions about its price and usefulness. ?I?m not going to pay for email? or "I can get free storage online? when in fact the true beauty is all the features combined with a single account and no setup.

While I agree that it?s top of its class I do understand that if the price doesn?t warrant the expense for those not interested in using MobileMe?s many features. Back To My Mac and syncing of Mac and user account settings are enough to keep me a loyal customer. I don?t even use the email, I use Gmail for that.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Hmm, I?ve heard about iChat for Windows for awhile but the idea has never rang true to me. I don?t see a financial advantage for it like iTunes to sell iPods/iPhones and Safari and QuickTime to push certain standards. With iChat for Windows they are using 3rd-party protocols. It seems like it would tie some things together but without a business model of some kind that Apple can benefit from I don?t believe it will happen.

iChat is a perfect example of how Apple doesn't do social networking very well at all.

I chat all the time and have various handles on various services, but as a MobileMe member I cannot use iChat without using my only real email address as my handle which is connected to all the pieces of myself I would want to keep *off* a social network situation.

I have a RL professional profile to maintain which is attached to my MobileMe account and all that is tied up with my real life details like my credit card and real address. As a result, iChat is absolutely useless for anything that isn't directly connected to my professional life, and I have never used it even though "i chat" all the time.

Apple doesn't "get" the Internet at all really, and the idea that they are getting into being social finally is good news, but something to be taken with huge grains of salt. I would bet it will take them years to get this right. They make great computers, but some things are completely alien to their DNA and this is one of them.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

I'd hope to see this app downloading address book info, et cetera, from Facebook, like the Palm Pre does. Facebook ordinarily blocks people from doing that, but apparently made a special deal with Palm to allow it - it'd be great to see Apple do the same. Maybe they could even tie it into iPhone OS 3.1 to fully duplicate that functionality of the Pre.

I have an iPhone app that syncs up with my Facebook account.

It grabs people contact info and even their profile picture and adds it to my address book. MyPhone+ is the app.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Sounds like the Social App would be a nice new member to iLife.

iLife 10 with "Socialize"
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

you can do it on the blackberry

a lot of people were even complaining that when you installed the BB facebook app it added pictures to all your address book contacts from facebook. there is an iphone app, but since there is a duplicate data bug in the iphone sync software it doesn't work very well

MyPhone+ works great. no problems.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

iChat is a perfect example of how Apple doesn't do social networking very well at all.

I chat all the time and have various handles on various services, but as a MobileMe member I cannot use iChat without using my only real email address as my handle which is connected to all the pieces of myself I would want to keep *off* a social network situation.

I have a RL professional profile to maintain which is attached to my MobileMe account and all that is tied up with my real life details like my credit card and real address. As a result, iChat is absolutely useless for anything that isn't directly connected to my professional life, and I have never used it even though "i chat" all the time.

Apple doesn't "get" the Internet at all really, and the idea that they are getting into being social finally is good news, but something to be taken with huge grains of salt. I would bet it will take them years to get this right. They make great computers, but some things are completely alien to their DNA and this is one of them.

I agree, but there are ways around it. You can create an AIM name for create an alias in MobileMe/.Mac, the problem with the latter is that it is still an email address, even though it won?t be directly tied to you personal accounts.

Another issue that shows that Apple doesn?t get it, or simply doesnt? care, is the lack of MSN support in iChat. There is a large part of the world that uses MSN or Windows Messenger or whatever they call it now. I think much of Europe, South America, India, Philippines are in this camp, with Yahoo dominating Japan and other Asian countries, with the US mainly being AIM.

PS: (This last paragraph has nothing to do with anything, but I feel the effects of multiple chat clients and of IMing on phones is interesting to include] Though I mostly use AIM I also have the other chat clients running for certain friends in other parts of the world. This means I use Adium, but that is okay by me since Adium rocks. I even paid $15 for Beejive on the iPhone and have installed the Adium plugin for Emoji since I?m now getting more iPhone users sending me Emoji in chats to my computer. (this
  • Reply 35 of 57
    MyPhone+ is great... until you want to sync phone numbers or email addresses like the Pre can.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Hmm, I’ve heard about iChat for Windows for awhile but the idea has never rang true to me. I don’t see a financial advantage for it like iTunes to sell iPods/iPhones and Safari and QuickTime to push certain standards. With iChat for Windows they are using 3rd-party protocols. It seems like it would tie some things together but without a business model of some kind that Apple can benefit from I don’t believe it will happen.

What's the financial advantage of Safari for Windows?

The business model for iChat for windows would be tied to mobileme in the long run. If they can do the job like we expect it from Apple they could come up with a client that brings every important social network together. Apple would reach out to a large number of active users that it might still not reach with iTunes. After a few months people will not be talking about facebook, twitter or whatever because they use iChat. Apple has his cool momentum and could take advantage of their name to start one big community, something still lacking on the mac although their is already huge community we still aren't connected. If this would work out like I expect it would be it would also make the iPhone the ultimate social networking tool. Yes it has already all the apps of the major social networks but one app would be Apple style, multiple apps to spread the same message is just stupid so ...
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:

They should drop AOL support and go to just Apple IDs.

They have over 50 million customers with Apple IDs.

iChat for Mac, PC and iPhone would give them instant reach.

If should integrate with Facebook chat, twitter, Flickr and MobileMe.

The iPhone app should be free.

THIS SHOULD BE APPLE'S ANSWER TO AT&T DROPPING THE BALL ON MMS FOR IPHONE.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

They should drop AOL support and go to just Apple IDs.

They have over 50 million customers with Apple IDs.

iChat for Mac, PC and iPhone would give them instant reach.

If should integrate with Facebook chat, twitter, Flickr and MobileMe.

The iPhone app should be free.

THIS SHOULD BE APPLE'S ANSWER TO AT&T DROPPING THE BALL ON MMS FOR IPHONE.

Exactly my point!
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:

Pushing WebKit development and use, which in itself pushes more open web standards, which is another way of saying helps kills IE dominance and other propriety plug in support.

There may be other reasons too, like iTunes Store eventually dropping the Java it uses to render the store in favour of lighter setup that requires no Java to be installed. Say, if ChromeOS is to be based on web standards Apple may even want a web-based version of iTunes that runs completely within a browser window and uses HTML5?s database features to still pull your local iTunes DB.

Quote:

The business model for iChat for windows would be tied to mobileme in the long run. If they can do the job like we expect it from Apple they could come up with a client that brings every important social network together.

If you have a MobileMe account you can use any IM client that supports AIM. You can still sync with Outlook and whatever. There is still no financial benefit for Apple at this time to adding a new IM client to Windows.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:

The business model for iChat for windows would be tied to mobileme in the long run. If they can do the job like we expect it from Apple they could come up with a client that brings every important social network together. Apple would reach out to a large number of active users that it might still not reach with iTunes. After a few months people will not be talking about facebook, twitter or whatever because they use iChat. Apple has his cool momentum and could take advantage of their name to start one big community, something still lacking on the mac although their is already huge community we still aren't connected. If this would work out like I expect it would be it would also make the iPhone the ultimate social networking tool. Yes it has already all the apps of the major social networks but one app would be Apple style, multiple apps to spread the same message is just stupid so ...

There really should be a free version of MobileMe and a paid premium version.

[CENTER]FREE vs. PAID

POP3 vs. IMAP/PUSH

2GB vs. 20GB

Contact Sync vs. Contacts, Calendars, Notes, 2DOs

- vs. Find My iPhone, Remote Wipe, etc

Social vs. Really Social[/CENTER]