Apple rumored to create social media consolidation client

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Pushing WebKit development and use, which in itself pushes more open web standards, which is another way of saying helps kills IE dominance and other propriety plug in support.

There may be other reasons too, like iTunes Store eventually dropping the Java it uses to render the store in favour of lighter setup that requires no Java to be installed. Say, if ChromeOS is to be based on web standards Apple may even want a web-based version of iTunes that runs completely within a browser window and uses HTML5’s database features to still pull your local iTunes DB.

Same goes for expanding the iChat network

Quote:

If you have a MobileMe account you can use any IM client that supports AIM. You can still sync with Outlook and whatever. There is still no financial benefit for Apple at this time to adding a new IM client to Windows.

You are missing the point totally! I'm not talking about existing mobileme users i'm talking about attracting new users. If you have a mobileme account you get indeed AIM and that's it. I guess you live in the states because AIM doesn't mean anything in europe. In europe everyone uses MSN even on the Mac. I'm using Mac's since 1999 and MSN is still my main chat client because every windows user has MSN but no AIM. On the other hand does every windowsuser overhere have a facebook, twitter or flickr, ... If iChat combines all of those (even without MSN) you will see a lot of windows users dropping MSN for iChat for windows because it has all those features they use. That would mean they would triple the amount of active Apple ID's in almost a few weeks. Apple ID's that might consider dropping some paid services in the near future over Mobileme. Services like rapidshare, flickr pro, ...
  • Reply 42 of 57
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

I agree, but there are ways around it. You can create an AIM name for create an alias in MobileMe/.Mac, the problem with the latter is that it is still an email address, even though it won?t be directly tied to you personal accounts. ...

I agree with most of your reply, but I think this part is wrong. At least this has never worked for me.

If I use iChat, I can use aliases (I think), but no one is *on* iChat and iChat is not integrated with anything else. I can use AIM by plugging in my MobileMe email address, but it only works with the original "real" email address, not with any of the aliases. I might as well use any client on any service (all of which are supported by everyone else), because iChat won't allow me to connect to anything except by using my one real email that I want to keep *off* of the wider Internet.

So I can be my real self in the (mostly empty and sterile) walled garden, or I can use an alias out in the "real world" that isn't connected in any way to my real self inside the garden.

That's iChat in a nutshell to me. I've had access to it for years but it's 100% useless to me.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bobo Decosta View Post

Same goes for expanding the iChat network

How so? First of all, iChat isn?t a network, it?s a program that ties into other networks. Note that Apple hasn?t included the popular MSN or Yahoo protocols into the program, nor did they see fit to add iChat to the iPhone. They have no technology to push and no money to make from iChat for Windows.

Quote:

You are missing the point totally! I'm not talking about existing mobileme users i'm talking about attracting new users. If you have a mobileme account you get indeed AIM and that's it. I guess you live in the states because AIM doesn't mean anything in europe. In europe everyone uses MSN even on the Mac. I'm using Mac's since 1999 and MSN is still my main chat client because every windows user has MSN but no AIM. On the other hand does every windowsuser overhere have a facebook, twitter or flickr, ... If iChat combines all of those (even without MSN) you will see a lot of users dropping MSN for iChat because it has all those features they use. That would mean they would triple the amount of active Apple ID's in almost a few weeks. Apple ID's that might consider dropping some paid services in the near future over Mobileme. Services like rapidshare, flickr pro, ...

Attracting users is being done by upping MobileMe features and by having the control panel in Windows for syncing your bookmarks, contacts and mail with native and popular Windows apps. Having iChat for Windows changes absolutely nothing because I use AIM or a plethora of other IM clients in conjunction with MobileMe right now.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Quote:

How so? First of all, iChat isn?t a network, it?s a program that ties into other networks. Note that Apple hasn?t included the popular MSN or Yahoo protocols into the program, nor did they see fit to add iChat to the iPhone. They have no technology to push and no money to make from iChat for Windows.

Attracting users is being done by upping MobileMe features and by having the control panel in Windows for syncing your bookmarks, contacts and mail with native and popular Windows apps. Having iChat for Windows changes absolutely nothing because I use AIM or a plethora of other IM clients in conjunction with MobileMe right now.

They would kill of MSN dominance in big parts of the world for instance and yes iChat is no network, that's the whole point of making it into one.

You really think that having a mobile me button in your preference pane will make you actually an active mobileme user? Chatting al night on a client might make me check out other features, but having a button that actually doesn't do much interesting on a windows computer wouldn't.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

most Facebook users are over the age of 50

it's a lot easier to use facebook than email people once in a while

Agreed - Social Networking is here to stay and has its uses. I just hope that this is truly a consolidation point rather than yet another social networking site - enough is enough already...
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:

They would kill of MSN dominance in big parts of the world for instance and yes iChat is no network, that's the whole point of making it into one.

You really think that having a mobile me button in your preference pane will make you actually an active mobileme user? Chatting al night on a client might make me check out other features, but having a button that actually doesn't do much interesting on a windows computer wouldn't.

It wouldn?t touch MSN or Yahoo or anyone else?s IM service dominance. iChat is ONLY an IM client. It?s an program that connects to other IM protocols. The closest one to being Apple?s protocol is Bonjour and that is open source. Having iChat for Windows, but not having it connect to MSN like on the Mac means that MSN users won?t use it. MobileMe still costs money! If you say that iChat for Windows should include MSN connectivity the way iTunes for Windows includes WMA support, then people are still on the MSN network, even though their client is iChat. Nothing changes.

The only way Apple could take a slice out of MSN is to take Johnny Mozzarella?s idea into consideration by allowing for a free, lite version of MobileMe.

But I wonder why you think it?s important for Apple to knock down MSN, but have no problems with Yahoo or other IM services. The reality is that Apple has no way to gain money and that the old business of IM is being knocked away by IM services built into social networking sites like MySpace and Facebook. That is the future, not having yet another IM client that offers no new IM protocol.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Quote:

It wouldn’t touch MSN or Yahoo or anyone else’s IM service dominance. iChat is ONLY an IM client. It’s an program that connects to other IM protocols. The closest one to being Apple’s protocol is Bonjour and that is open source. Having iChat for Windows, but not having it connect to MSN like on the Mac means that MSN users won’t use it. MobileMe still costs money! If you say that iChat for Windows should include MSN connectivity the way iTunes for Windows includes WMA support, then people are still on the MSN network, even though their client is iChat. Nothing changes.

The only way Apple could take a slice out of MSN is to take Johnny Mozzarella’s idea into consideration by allowing for a free, lite version of MobileMe.

But I wonder why you think it’s important for Apple to knock down MSN, but have no problems with Yahoo or other IM services. The reality is that Apple has no way to gain money and that the old business of IM is being knocked away by IM services built into social networking sites like MySpace and Facebook. That is the future, not having yet another IM client that offers no new IM protocol.

Yes iChat is only an IM client but why should it stay one? iChat is one of those programs that I wouldn't mind to be killed of at the moment. If it wouldn't be their anymore I wouldn't miss it. So why don't make iChat finally being usable. iChat is a social tool that misses the point of being social so Apple has a lot of reasons to not keep it an IM client only.

Knocking out MSN is only fraction of why I think Apple will revamp iChat. The reason I think they will do it is because sites like facebook, twitter and such allow them to. It has never been easier for a company like Apple to connect to such big audiences with applications as now. Sites like facebook allow connections to each other in the contrary to services like MSN and Yahoo.

I prefer a client to using a browser to tweet, that's why I use facebook a lot less. A client that would let me use all those features from one app is the holy grail for me and a lot of other social network users.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

What's the financial advantage of Safari for Windows?

The business model for iChat for windows would be tied to mobileme in the long run. If they can do the job like we expect it from Apple they could come up with a client that brings every important social network together. Apple would reach out to a large number of active users that it might still not reach with iTunes. After a few months people will not be talking about facebook, twitter or whatever because they use iChat. Apple has his cool momentum and could take advantage of their name to start one big community, something still lacking on the mac although their is already huge community we still aren't connected. If this would work out like I expect it would be it would also make the iPhone the ultimate social networking tool. Yes it has already all the apps of the major social networks but one app would be Apple style, multiple apps to spread the same message is just stupid so ...

wouldn't surprise me if MS asked Apple to port Safari to Windows. Helps get the EU off their back and MS doesn't really care about IE anyway. they have a new browser in the works with a much more secure architecture and they are happily licensing activesync out to everyone to build internet apps on top of
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:

Yes iChat is only an IM client but why should it stay one? iChat is one of those programs that I wouldn't mind to be killed of at the moment. If it wouldn't be their anymore I wouldn't miss it. So why don't make iChat finally being usable. iChat is a social tool that misses the point of being social so Apple has a lot of reasons to not keep it an IM client only.

Then you are not talking about iChat, you are talking about something completely new that Apple has not entered into yet. You are talking about social service that could tie into any IM client, not porting the iChat program to Windows. An iChat app for Windows is not a requirement for any social networking.

Quote:

Knocking out MSN is only fraction of why I think Apple will revamp iChat. The reason I think they will do it is because sites like facebook, twitter and such allow them to. It has never been easier for a company like Apple to connect to such big audiences as now. Sites like facebook allow connections to each other in the contrary to services like MSN and Yahoo.

I prefer a client to using a browser to tweet, that's why I use facebook a lot less. A client that would let me use all those features from one app is the holy grail for me and a lot of other social network users.

I prefer to connect to Facebook’s IM service with Adium, I use it more than AIM at this point and of course more than my MSN, Yahoo and GoogleTalk. I use RSS to keep up with Facebook status updates. Nothing Apple has done yet will make MobileMe compete with that. I’m not going to get rid of my other IM accounts but I am using them less, but not everyone is on Facebook or prefers to chat that way.

You have not proposed any social networking feature that would be a game changer or money maker for Apple. You’ve only stated that you think the iChat IM client for Windows would be great in some way, and it simply won’t. A dominating social network is something that transcends a single IM client. It needs to be fully web-based and have IMing as merely a single feature, not as the primary focus. I’ve seen no evidence that Apple wants to compete with FaceBook or MySpace. It would be cool if they did but a Windows IM client is not going to do that.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Not my fault you can't see the big picture! But at least your almost understanding what i'm talking about because you seem to strive for the same value with adium that my interpretation of the new iChat would bring. Now open your mind to a version of adium that combines iTunes, iPhoto, mobile with facebook, twitter, flickr and others. Now stay focussed and you might start to see the big picture. You are almost there, just a bit more effort
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

As a MobileMe user I have to disagree with this.

It may be expensive, and it certainly has limited functionality, but it is most definitely "top of it's class" in terms of usability and the manner in which the things it does have are implemented. There are free alternatives for each part of the MobileMe service but to categorise the necessary struggle with implementing and integrating all those multiple alternatives into your life as being in a "better class" than MobileMe is quite an exaggeration IMO.

If those other free products were easier to use, and also had more functionality than MobileMe you might have a point, but at the moment MobileMe is pretty much just equivalent to those services but better executed, more integrated, and of course, more expensive. But that's what people are paying for, the lack of having to struggle and set it all up themselves.

Google's services in particular only make any kind of sense if you already have most of your identity connected to Google (as you yourself seem to have). A new user trying to pick between the two alternatives gains no real advantage over using the Google based free alternatives other than price, and they loose the advantage of having it all set up for them.

Some background info... I have been a .Mac/MobileMe subscriber since it was first offered (when it was called iTools). I am currently a Family Pack subscriber.

My wife and mother also use the service. Their needs are satisfied by the service (IMAP and webmail on occasion). My mother's e-mail was offline for a week or more back when Apple introduced MobileMe. That was the first time I considered moving to a different service.

My needs have gotten a bit more complex. I have an iPhone, so I am taking advantage of the push notifications and cloud syncing. I also use a PC at work. Unfortunately, my employer uses Exchange, so I can't take advantage of the MobileMe control panel.

I use the MobileMe web site at work to read my personal e-mail. I use the latest version of Firefox. Even with the souped-up Javascript engine, the MobileMe mail page is painfully slow, and seems to use a lot of CPU. The page refreshes often, just navigating from one e-mail to the next. I know Apple is using a fancy framework under the site, and as a programmer, I think that's cool, but it makes the whole experience slow and fragile in my opinion.

I have dabbled with Google's offerings, but they are not my primary vendor. I created accounts just as a defensive move, so I could familiarize myself with their services, in case we decided not to renew our MobileMe subscription.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post

I was kind of hoping Apple would just integrate Mac OS X with Google's mail and calendar services.

Please, Apple, if you read this, please don't, I'm begging you. Or at the very least make it completely optional. Some of us don't want any integration with Google at all. Just thinking about what the Palm Pre does gives me nightmares. (And, hey, that iTunes thing is pretty sleazy of them, too.) I promise to buy a glossy screen if you'll promise not to integrate Mac OS X with Google.

P.S., please don't integrate the iPhone with Google anything either.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Please, Apple, if you read this, please don't, I'm begging you. Or at the very least make it completely optional.

P.S., please don't integrate the iPhone with Google anything either.

Optional is fine with me (just like MobileMe). And the iPhone is already integrated with Google Maps and YouTube.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post

Optional is fine with me (just like MobileMe). And the iPhone is already integrated with Google Maps and YouTube.

As long as they leave my personal data alone and let me keep it out of Google's hands.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I have difficulty understanding the value of seeing that someone watched Episode17 of Fringe last night.

You would if you were one of the producers of Fringe, and that kid who tweeted (or whatever) about watching your show prompted a handful of his friends who hadn't seen it to give your program a shot.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They have already started integrating with popular websites, the way Quicktime can upload to YouTube, iPhoto can upload to Flickr etc. And people care so much about the opinions of others these days, it makes sense to integrate with the social sites too.