Briefly: Apple shoots secret commercial, hit with patent suit

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    They should have just asked if they could use the Windows Bootcamp logo that Apple designed

Much Nicer!
  • Reply 42 of 63
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoami View Post

ummm... can you say "josef albers-homage to the square"?

Less an homage than characteristic blatant copying.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

I think they used MS DOS

Actuall, I believe they used an Altair
  • Reply 44 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

1. not a shock this was filed in Patent Land. one day they really need to make a law that you can only file in a district that one of the players is actually in. and stop this garbage of every patent case going to the East District of Texas (which will let anyone file a claim even if on toliet paper)

Check your geography - Marshall, TX (which seems to be 'patent litigation central' by these folks that buy and then sit on often questionable patents till they find something ambiguous enough to sue about) is actually in the Eastern District Court of Texas while Austin is in the Western District.

Yes, I do live in Texas (and Damn Its Hot) but would not support the bozo-decisions that oft come from Marshall-land.

I also agree that there should be at least one of the parties (litigants) residing or claiming their permanent residence is within the district and not because it just seemed it might increase ones odds to sue there.

Oh well, there seems to be a lot that needs to be done with our patent laws here in the USA - and I'm afraid this issue is lower on my list than others. If patent law was cleaned up all together then this may even become a moot point.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    davidtdavidt Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple filmed a commercial Tuesday for a new, unreleased product in Truckee, Calif., at the restaurant Jax at the Tracks.

for any of you who understand german (from the german website www.maccommunity.de )

it basically describes a possible version of the ad they filmed, featuring a couple who order a meal with their iphone, then wait 2 weeks for their order to be approved, agree to eat exclusively at this restaurant for the next 2 years, must sign NDAs etc

iPhone Besitzer müssen ab sofort ihre Bestellungen in Restaurants per iPhone aufgeben.

Die Bestellung wird danach von Apple ca. 2 Wochen geprüft und dabei natürlich zensiert. Jedes anstössige Lebensmittel wird dabei selbstverständlich entfernt. (Beispiele: Bananen, Nüsse, Ochsenschwanz usw.) Die Preise werden dabei automatisch um 30% für Apple angehoben. Sie müssen dann 2 Jahre lang im selben Restaurant essen. Fremdverpflegung ist unerwünscht und wird durch jedes Update verhindert. Beschwerden über das Essen müssen bei Apple eingereicht werden und laden dort sofort im virtuellen Papierkorb.

Spektakuläre Veröffentlichungen von Missständen in den Restaurants wie z. B. öffentliches Kotzen vom Empire State Building werden natürlich zur Chefsache ernannt und Derjenige bekommt ein Monat freies Essen.

Wer von dem Angebot gebrauch macht, willigt ein, dass er Stillschweigen über seine Essengewohnheiten hält.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    The new logo looks like it was...

• Reply 47 of 63
    I'll bet the "secret product" they were shooting the TV commercial for is the iTablet, or whatever it will be called.

As for that MS logo...WTF?? I thought for sure this was going to be the new logo...

• Reply 48 of 63
    Whoa, holy crap logo Batman! It hurts my eyes... the sharp angles and the color gradation is just... jarring. In a way, it looks like a horribly degraded and pixelated version of the Windows logo...

I was expecting at least 10-bit color.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoami View Post

ummm... can you say "josef albers-homage to the square"?

EXACTLY what was going through my head too!

• Reply 50 of 63
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    What a bunch of useless posts today.

Back to the "ad shoot", if they are trying to show a hip trendy place, it would make sense that it has to do with wifi / hotspots, think of the "old days" hanging out in cafes in San Fran and New York being trendy with your laptop.

I'm going to go ahead and suggest this is going to be the first ad for the new tablet, seems like it's a pretty safe bet they wouldn't be doing a shoot for a new iPhone / iMac / Mac laptop in a location they were trying to push as hip and trendy, but a new wifi enabled tablet would fit right in in that location.

Ok carry on with your making fun of the Microsoft logo and whatever else it is you are doing.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chuckmoser View Post

The gay pride festival should right at home in the store now. All they're missing is some weird equal sign or pink triangle worked in there somehow.

Wow, what are we 12 now? Drop the dumb comments
  • Reply 52 of 63
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

What a bunch of useless posts today.

Back to the "ad shoot", if they are trying to show a hip trendy place, it would make sense that it has to do with wifi / hotspots, think of the "old days" hanging out in cafes in San Fran and New York being trendy with your laptop.

I'm going to go ahead and suggest this is going to be the first ad for the new tablet, seems like it's a pretty safe bet they wouldn't be doing a shoot for a new iPhone / iMac / Mac laptop in a location they were trying to push as hip and trendy, but a new wifi enabled tablet would fit right in in that location.

Ok carry on with your making fun of the Microsoft logo and whatever else it is you are doing.

Fellow members of the Useless Posts Club, I think we've just found our new President!

• Reply 53 of 63
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Fellow members of the Useless Posts Club, I think we've just found our new President!

Stop picking on the guy. I think the AD is more interesting than Micocrap's logo. What was the product they we shooting the AD for? Software is not that profitable so it has to be hardware. That said, the iProd (Apple Tablet) is a good guess. Will it be tied to Verizon, AT&T or just WIFI? Better question is how long before the add hits the airways and the product into our must have list? See you in line. LOL
  • Reply 54 of 63
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

No, it wouldn't.

Apple could have easily borrowed the restaurant's wired Internet connectivity and set up a temporary WAP. They could have used a paid access point (if that's what the restaurant has). They could have walked in with a Sprint MiFi. They could have faked the whole thing (i.e., add screenshots in post-production).

It really doesn't matter if this is a known wifi hotspot or not. It's not like they are rare and endangered species. I get free wifi at the local mom-and-pop coffee shops and most sports bars.

Everything from the iPhone to the iMac has built-in WiFi. The presence of WiFi (public or private) on set is meaningless.

Well I put my horse in the race =) So we'll see.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Knowing MS, they pobably contracted a marketing firm to come up with this abomination of a logo...and the firm probably uses Macs!

So that's the best you can do on Mac, eh?
  • Reply 56 of 63
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

My mistake, they were using an Apple IIgs
  • Reply 57 of 63
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

The job req wasn't for the best. It was for the cheapest.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    The MS logo is an old fashioned square window. The next operating system doesn't have a fancy name like "bullhorn" or "vista", it's going to be called Windows 7.

The window is more likely made of uPVC (the white bits), is probably double-glazed and the colours are simply the reflection of the sun off the different gases filling the gap between the two sheets of glass or a new kind of opaque net curtail/voile (noun -- a thin, plain-weave, semitransparent fabric of cotton, wool, or silk -- MS's is probably wool which can be pulled over users' eyes).

They should maybe have designed a window with seven panes...
  • Reply 59 of 63
    That MS logo reminds me of Windows ME. I am pretty sure MS wants to avoid that kind of association but, there you have it.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    "Each Monday night, Steve Wozniac dons a cape and mask and, with four lovely assistants, exposes how Microsoft, with overly complex, bloated code and maxed out chip usage, is able to almost approximate the tricks that Apple does using minimal processor speed and precise, compact code. No NBA team owning code thief, mercury laden vaccine dispensing philanthropist, monopolistic mega-corporation, or corrupt team of sleazy lawyers is safe from the MASKED MAN! Tune in Monday at 9!"

+1 to MP1

Watching the Woz running around in a cape and mask (with some dancing too?) chasing down M$ execs...too funny!