Sources detail changes to Snow Leopard installation process

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    Pre-Order on Amazon.com already! I can't wait either!
  • Reply 22 of 113
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I'm pretty sure that when the installer boots, the boot process includes checking of the disk structure. So that + checking SMART status would seem to have all the bases covered now, no?

I don't know. It just says "failure". Long before you get a SMART failure, you get warnings. If the drive hasn't failed, but is on the verge, will it install? It doesn't say in the article. What about other drive problems? Some of them will not allow an install, but some will.
  • Reply 23 of 113
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

A reinstallation will not affect your Mac OS X version number. In other words, reinstallation of Mac OS X 10.6 on a Mac that contains Mac OS X 10.6.1 (when it becomes available) will not overwrite any new components delivered by 10.6.1. So when the re-install is complete, you will still be running Mac OS X 10.6.1. This will save users considerable time.

Add me to the list of people concerned that this will cause problems when trying to use a reinstall to fix a broken component or to revert to a previous version.

• Reply 24 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I just want to know if I have to have Leopard installed in order to install Snow Leopard. I tend to like to zero my drive and start from scratch with a new OS. While I own a copy of Leopard, it would be a colossal pain to have to zero, install Leopard, and then upgrade to Snow Leopard...

Normally, when you do an install, you can have a wiped drive.

But this is a special pricing, so I wonder. It might require it.
  • Reply 25 of 113
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It would also help stop fiends like Pystar.
  • Reply 26 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I just want to know if I have to have Leopard installed in order to install Snow Leopard. I tend to like to zero my drive and start from scratch with a new OS. While I own a copy of Leopard, it would be a colossal pain to have to zero, install Leopard, and then upgrade to Snow Leopard...

Quote:

Hopefully, at the very least, if you initiate the install from within the Leopard OS or that it detects Leopard as currently being installed it will flip a switch, thus allowing you to do a clean install.
  • Reply 27 of 113
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I'm pretty sure that when the installer boots, the boot process includes checking of the disk structure. So that + checking SMART status would seem to have all the bases covered now, no?

While the installer is checking things, it would be convenient to check to

make sure the computer is a genuine Apple brand computer too, rather

than a clone (if they have a way of doing this now or in the future).
  • Reply 28 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Add me to the list of people concerned that this will cause problems when trying to use a reinstall to fix a broken component or to revert to a previous version.

It's really no different from before. This is just for convenience when you're doing the upgrade.

As before, when doing a re-install, you just install the combo update afterwards.
  • Reply 29 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Hopefully, at the very least, if you initiate the install from within the Leopard OS or that it detects Leopard as currently being installed it will flip a switch, thus allowing you to do a clean install.

From the article, at least, you can do that from the Disk Utility once the installer is up and running on your machine just like you used the DU to check your drive before.

They just removed it from the basic menu choice.
  • Reply 30 of 113
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Does QTX have QT7 Pro-type features or none of them? Strictly a player? I haven't kept up on this...
  • Reply 31 of 113
    Quote:

From the article, at least, you can do that from the Disk Utility once the installer is up and running on your machine just like you used the DU to check your drive before.

They just removed it from the basic menu choice.

I read that, but there is the off chance that the cheap upgrade disc will not have that option. I think it will as they can just check before hand and then offload the files to the HDD so you will have free reign after that, but it?s just speculation at this point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Does QTX have QT7 Pro-type features or none of them? Strictly a player? I haven't kept up on this...

None at all. There is no Quicktime Preferences or a Prference Pane. The options are limited to exporting to a few multimedia outlets and few very simple trim settings.
  • Reply 32 of 113
    At least I can format and reinstall....that's all I was concerned about.
  • Reply 33 of 113
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    One question I have about upgrading is what happens when I need to install OS X on, say, a new hard drive I may replace in one of my Macs. Will I have to first install 10.5 and then upgrade it to 10.6? That would be a big hassle. Hopefully there is a way around that.
  • Reply 34 of 113
    now that it's gone to gold, does that mean there is no chance of the whole look of the os being consistent?
  • Reply 35 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by payeco View Post

One question I have about upgrading is what happens when I need to install OS X on, say, a new hard drive I may replace in one of my Macs. Will I have to first install 10.5 and then upgrade it to 10.6? That would be a big hassle. Hopefully there is a way around that.

That is still the big question. They are obviously getting more sophisticated with their installation process, but the $29 version of Snow Leopard seems to indicate that you need to have Leopard installed so it can make the check.

Though I very much doubt it, it could be as clever as to ask you for the Leopard disc after it moves the install files to the HDD and before it actually does the install to at least verify that you have the disc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ad4m.phillips View Post

now that it's gone to gold, does that mean there is no chance of the whole look of the os being consistent?

Nope. Except for some visual tweaks in Quicktime and contextual Dock menus very little has changed in the Snow Leopard UI. Yet another version of OS X that is quite mismatched across various apps.
  • Reply 36 of 113
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how much $$$ from 10.4 to SN
  • Reply 37 of 113
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ad4m.phillips View Post

I think it makes most sense to update the GUI when they finally turn on Resolution Independence by default.

I think that 10.7 will remove all the parts of Carbon that make RI tricky (QuickDraw) (or perhaps completely remove Carbon) and have an updated GUI. Expect it to be previewed at the next WWDC and released 18 to 24 months later.
  • Reply 38 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by payeco View Post

I imagine that the "upgrade" for 10.6 is just a full install. I think it would just be easier for Apple than dealing with an upgrade process. Much like the family pack for Leopard is identical to the single user. Apple just uses the honor system.
  • Reply 39 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

$169 for current Tiger/Panther users, but that also includes the latest iLife and iWork. That is the only way it?s coming for those so you can save money by buying a cheap copy Leopard and the $29 version of Snow Leopard, assuming you don?t want the latest versions of iLife and iWork.
  • Reply 40 of 113
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Far as I can tell...

It would be $169 to go from Mac OS 10.4 to Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard). Reason why its $169 is, Apple appears to be making you purchase not only OS X, but also iLife '09 and iWork '09. Some may complain, but actually thats a hell of a deal. To buy everything separate it would cost nearly $290.