Apple's iPhone 3GS has 99 percent satisfaction rate

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Customers who flocked to Apple's latest iPhone upgrade were overwhelmingly satisfied with their purchase, but AT&T's network didn't fare nearly as well, a new survey shows.



A total of 99 percent of 200 respondents to a RBC/IQ ChangeWave survey in August said they are satisfied with their iPhone 3GS, with 82 percent of those "Very Satisfied." That's an improvement from the already-stellar statistics on the last two iterations of the iPhone, of which 73 percent of customers gave a superior ranking. Similarly, 94 percent of iPhone 3GS buyers said the product met or exceeded their expectations.



But the iPhone's U.S. carrier, AT&T, was seen as the product's biggest pitfall. When iPhone 3GS owners were asked to rank what they dislike about the product, 55 percent chose the AT&T network. That was followed by the 41 percent who felt the device's battery life is too short, and 8 percent who said their company's IT department doesn't support the product.



The data was released Friday as part of a new report from RBC Capital Markets. Citing customer satisfaction, analyst Mike Abramsky reiterates the company's "outperform" rating for AAPL stock, and maintains a price target of $190.



As for the phone's most-liked features, the touchscreen interface took top honors with 45 percent, followed by ease of use and faster Web browsing. It's likely most who bought the iPhone 3GS knew exactly what they were getting: 41 percent of respondents were migrating from an older version of the product. Switchers from other devices mostly came from Motorola (18 percent), followed in order by Nokia (11 percent), RIM (9 percent), Sanyo (8 percent), and Palm (6 percent).



"iPhone 3GS owners are a highly satisfied group, strongly loyal to Apple, and that Apple innovation (touchscreen, software UI, applications) is what continues to lure new buyers to its smartphones," the report reads. "The benefits to Apple for achieving this premium customer satisfaction include: strong pricing power, high customer lifetime value, powerful, inexpensive viral marketing (recommend to others), increased carrier channel leverage, indirect benefits to Apple's other businesses (e.g. Macs)."







The study demonstrates that Apple customers are just as satisfied, if not moreso, with the iPhone as they are with the company's other offerings, such as the Mac. When compared with other companies in surveys, the Cupertino, Calif. company consistently outperforms its competitors in customer satisfaction and service.







«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 43
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,611member
    I personally love my iPhone 3G S, but I have a hard time believing ANY survey where customers have a 99% satisfaction rate.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    If it's true, it comes as little surprise.



    If it isn't true, it's quite believable.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    I personally love my iPhone 3G S, but I have a hard time believing ANY survey where customers have a 99% satisfaction rate.





    When you see the breakdown it makes a lot more since, and they did only ask 200 people.





    Everyone I know who has an iphone, loves it.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    If it's true, it comes as little surprise.



    "If"?

    I read it on the internet so it HAS to be true! Really!

  • Reply 5 of 43
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Who is that one percent ???

    and where do they live ??
  • Reply 6 of 43
    I guess the survey didn't include any of the people who are suing Apple and AT&T over the MMS?



    Just thought this warm and fuzzy article was funny after reading the negative one that just preceded it.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post


    I guess the survey didn't include any of the people who are suing Apple and AT&T over the MMS?



    Just thought this warm and fuzzy article was funny after reading the negative one that just preceded it.





    well 110 of them did say they hate AT&T
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post


    Who is that one percent ???

    and where do they live ??



    Probably the ones that use Google Voice.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    AT&T's crappy network hasn't changed one bit since the iPhone 3G came out. What were these people expecting?



    Any educated individual who researched this purchase (to any extent) before they bought would have known what they were walking into.



    I personally love my iPhone 3G. As a PDA, it's great. As a phone (from a network perspective), it leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    It would be 100% if it wasn't for AT&T.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drk_one View Post


    As a phone (from a network perspective), it leaves a lot to be desired.





    Correct. However in Houston, ATT"s network has improved very well. Still spotty 3G from time to time, but it has improved. I can only imagine when they drop to the 850Mhz spectrum.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drk_one View Post


    Any educated individual who researched this purchase (to any extent) before they bought would have known what they were walking into.





    I would venture to guess that alot of the people who own the iPhone never owned another phone that used the 3G service. My guess is based on all the people that were complaining about the cost of the plan.



    I can't complain about my ATT 3G experience, I live in an area where I get booming signal 90% of the time so it's worked really well for me. From watching someone with a 3GS phone, I would say the speed is because of the phones mips not the network, in my case.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

    Customers who flocked to Apple's latest iPhone upgrade were overwhelmingly satisfied with their purchase, but AT&T's network didn't fare nearly as well, a new survey shows.



    Same story here in the UK. Everyone loves their iPhone but hates O2's network. Browsing the web on an iPhone in London is pretty much impossible because O2 don't have anywhere near enough network capacity. They're the only network I've ever used in the UK to have total network outages.



    I can't wait for a competent carrier to get it.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    This company is unlike any other. Who the frack has a 99% approval rating? Apple—that's who. HP doesn't get it. MS doesn't get it and they never will. Apple innovates whilst everyone else imitates. Remember the people who got their panties all wadded because Apple didn't have a replaceable battery in the iPhone? No one considered that Apple wouldn't incorporate a crap-ass battery that would ever NEED to be replaced. Planned obsolescence is not in their vocabulary. Got some extra cash lying around? AAPL: Buy. Buy. Buy.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    Correct. However in Houston, ATT"s network has improved very well. Still spotty 3G from time to time, but it has improved. I can only imagine when they drop to the 850Mhz spectrum.





    How much longer does Apple's Ties to AT&T last ? it would make sense to me unless they pick up the slack they will loose a lot of the gains they have made sooner or later. Apple will not stand for those type of numbers for long.



    Just thinking out loud. If these numbers are even 75% true. What is MS Thinking (or do they even think) coming up with a competing product and branching into areas of related services with the likes of Nokia. Given their track record of the mighty iPod Killer "THE ZUNE" and other related efforts. Better known as The ZZZZZ nothing.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,291member
    I believe the survey. It does not mean that 99% of iP owners believe it has not problems or areas in which it could improve. It means that everyone is generally satisfied with the device. Unlike what some bloggers and podcasters would have you believe, it is hard to find people who are ready to give up their iP for something else. Just because a marriage has a few problems does not mean that you are not satisfied with your marriage. The same is true for the iP.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    At WWDC and Apple's website, they say its 3.0, but on the chart they say its 3.2. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 18 of 43
    The only reason my wife and I have the Pre is because we couldn't take AT&T's pricing, lack of signal in our area or extra fees for everything.



    If the iPhone were on verizon or Sprint (I get signal from both) I would have got the iphone... sigh.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    I personally love my iPhone 3G S, but I have a hard time believing ANY survey where customers have a 99% satisfaction rate.



    the survey was taken in an apple store. if you complain about anything apple in there they take you out back and shoot you
  • Reply 20 of 43
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drk_one View Post


    AT&T's crappy network hasn't changed one bit since the iPhone 3G came out. What were these people expecting?



    Any educated individual who researched this purchase (to any extent) before they bought would have known what they were walking into.



    I personally love my iPhone 3G. As a PDA, it's great. As a phone (from a network perspective), it leaves a lot to be desired.



    You're wrong. Lots of hype about AT&T upgrading their network for 7.2Mbps:

    http://gizmodo.com/5295789/giz-expla...k-really-means



    In the end, AT&T fails again. It's almost embarassing, how badly run they are. I can't wait to be able to buy an iPhone that's supported on other networks, not because they're better (try complaining to Verizon about obscure fees) but because it will force AT&T to get better or suffer.
Sign In or Register to comment.