TomTom for Apple iPhone released in U.S. App Store for $99

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    sajsaj Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

When the call is over, the app switches back on automatically, according to the video posted in a thread here.

While a dedicated hardware GPS may be offered at a similar price, the convenience of having one device that I can carry around in my pocket and have more uses for is more attractive to me. I've resisted purchasing a GPS so far because I didn't like the idea of leaving it in my car, hooking it up every time I wanted to use it, all that kind of stuff. The idea of taking my phone out, putting it in a cradle and having it powered by my car's electrical system, and still having it available on the fly when I'm with my wife in her car, or a friends car, all that makes my iPhone the perfect device to carry for GPS directions.

Yes, thats a big positive point of this app.
  • Reply 62 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Hey isn't texting while driving illegal and kinda dangerous anyway? But I agree the call issue is definitely annoying, even if the thing nearly instantly restores your navigation after the call. What Apple needs to do is allow certain types of applications to have access to the audio and be able to navigate while taking a call. Because the last thing we want is a person having an accident while fooling around w/ his navigating iPhone.

It's not illegal here in SWFL.

I text all the time while driving, it's not a good idea but it's a habit.

Fun fact: A car and driver mag that I have at the house claims that texting while driving is actually nearly 3 times worse than drunk driving. They measured reaction times and found it to be 3 times longer to react to something when texting over drunk driving.

I have not yet tried to be in a call and use the Tomtom as the main app yet. I will try later when I have a chance to do so.
  • Reply 63 of 129
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

One complaint I have is that once the cradle comes out you'll be using it in landscape, most people, and when you receive a call you'll have to turn your head 90deg for the caller ID that appears portrait.

Actually this isn't true. The TomTom software works in either portrait or landscape mode.
  • Reply 64 of 129
    Quote:

One complaint I have is that once the cradle comes out you'll be using it in landscape, most people, and when you receive a call you'll have to turn your head 90deg for the caller ID that appears portrait.

I thought that to but with Navigon I actually prefer it in the portrait position, its better to see further up ahead than more of left and right, it's making me rethink the whole functioning of GPS displays, why are they wide screen instead of portrait.

As for texting while your driving it is absolutely illegal in most states, and becoming more and more so everywhere. Now it may not be in Florida, but I think its still legal to marry your sister there (jk).
  • Reply 65 of 129
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

It's not illegal here in SWFL.

"A bill is making its way through the Florida Legislature that would prohibit sending cell phone text messages while driving. According to the Associated Press, the text messaging ban was added onto a bill sponsored by Florida Senator Carey Baker, (R-Eustis), that would make it illegal for minors to talk on a cell phone while driving." http://www.injury-lawyer-florida.com...e_driving.html

By the way, you could be charged with 'dangerous driving'

"Last year, Heather Hurd, 26, and Stephanie Phills, 37, died when a truck driver, reaching for his hand-held device to text his office, rammed into traffic at a stoplight on U.S. 27 in Central Florida, causing a 10-car pileup, police said. The driver was cited for careless driving, a noncriminal offense that carries a $500 fine." http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...y/1168533.html
  • Reply 66 of 129
    Review: TomTom’s iPhone GPS app replaces one more device in your pocket

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...cket-20090817/
  • Reply 67 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Review: TomTom?s iPhone GPS app replaces one more device in your pocket

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...cket-20090817/

I don't know if you read that, but it's a very poor review from an information standpoint.
  • Reply 68 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Considering that you shouldn't be talking on the phone when driving, Perhaps the phone function should always be turned off when nav software is working.

Considering every built in Nav or hands free options in stand alone navs don't do that why would that be the option you reached for with the iPhone? The fact that the iPhone doesn't handle this in a hands off way actually makes this more dangerous than other options.
  • Reply 69 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I don't know if you read that, but it's a very poor review from an information standpoint.

Perhaps you could elaborate what more you would expect in a review just after release.

P.S. I did read it and watched the videos as well. Otherwise, I might have made some of the ludicrous assumptions and asked some of the equally ridiculous questions that have appeared here.
  • Reply 70 of 129
    Quote:

Perhaps you could elaborate what more you would expect in a review just after release.

I would prefer a detailed review on the quality/version of the maps, how the software handles interruptions from the Apple apps running in the background (phone, text, calendar alarms, etc..), you know stuff that's important to a user and will impact how the software runs on a day in day out basis. 'This is huge' doesn't really tell me anything. If the phone app is pushed to the background does the TomTom app come back to the foreground or are your returned to the home screen? Footlooses observations supplied more user information than the review did.
  • Reply 71 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

Actually this isn't true. The TomTom software works in either portrait or landscape mode.

No shit the TOMTOM software works in both landscape and portrait. You need to go back and read that I was talking about caller ID.
  • Reply 72 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I would prefer a detailed review on the quality/version of the maps, how the software handles interruptions from the Apple apps running in the background (phone, text, calendar alarms, etc..), you know stuff that's important to a user and will impact how the software runs on a day in day out basis. 'This is huge' doesn't really tell me anything. If the phone app is pushed to the background does the TomTom app come back to the foreground or are your returned to the home screen? Footlooses observations supplied more user information than the review did.

Some of these are covered in other reviews. This was my second reference. Nobody else is doing it. Just thought I would.

It is going to take a day or so to get a good review done. It will be interesting to see some comparisons. My earlier bet is on TomTom, if for anything, the Kit is a must for me. Although my wife has suggested that I simply tape the iPhone, face-in, over my right ear; its the one that doesn't listen to her when she is telling me where to go.
  • Reply 73 of 129
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

the scam of lifetime called the TomTom iPhone cradle.

How can we take your words seriously, if something in the order of $100 is called the scam of the lifetime? If you declare everything with a gross margin of maybe 50% or over (or everything with a gross margin of around $50) the scam of your lifetime, you either have a very selective perception/memory or the lifetime of a common mosquito. Neither of which enhances your credibility.

More likely, you use the expression scam of a lifetime at least twice per month, which would indicate that if you say 'far better' you probably rather mean 'possibly better'.
  • Reply 74 of 129
    Alright I just confirmed that you CAN in fact use the TomTom GPS while in the middle of a call! And it will speak the directions too! However, if you're using the Tomtom and a call comes in-it still closes the Tomtom so need to press the home button and relaunch the app and it'll work. When the phone call ends the Tomtom is not affected.

• Reply 75 of 129
    Quote:

No shit the TOMTOM software works in both landscape and portrait. You need to go back and read that I was talking about caller ID.

fwiw the navigon interrupts your navigation with a small pop-up that is correctly landscape or portrait for caller ID
  • Reply 76 of 129
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

"A bill is making its way through the Florida Legislature that would prohibit sending cell phone text messages while driving.

The thing about these bills is that they end up being ambiguous. You are using a hands-free cell phone so you aren't holding it up to your ear but you still take your eyes off the road to dial. You are not TXTing but you are still surfing the web, checking the weather dictating a message, what have you. Until they come flat out and say no mobile device can be used by the driver unless the car is stopped (and not just stopped at a red light but parked) there will be people doing all of the above.

As far as GPS is concerned, in California there are specific locations on the dash that you are allowed to place add on devices (non factory), a few sq. inches in the corners of the windshield only. I don't know what the reasoning is - maybe visibility or so the cops can pull you over to see if it is a radar detector, which is illegal to use, or whatever.

Personally, while I'm driving, I don't try to read a cell phone display or a GPS (unless it is a large screen factory one), since I'm a bit far sighted. I have excellent vision for distance just not for small text. I've tried those progressive lenses but they are really a compromise, at least in my opinion. The voice turn by turn would be quite nice though.
  • Reply 77 of 129
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

yes, yes it does. But the running app (TomTom) will still go to the background until you hit the close button to put the phone.app into the background. So, while it may only be a brief interruption, your directions are still interrupted.

And this site says that in their testing the TomTom app does close out when you get a call but resumes when the call is closed. I guess you could then put the phone app into the background and resume the app. Maybe. Still an interruption to your directions and would require hands on interaction.

Is there any reason there couldn't be an option in the Tom Tom app such that when a phone call came in and was answered, Tom Tom would resume automatically? I don't see why not.
  • Reply 78 of 129
    Quote:

Alright I just confirmed that you CAN in fact use the TomTom GPS while in the middle of a call! And it will speak the directions too! However, if you're using the Tomtom and a call comes in-it still closes the Tomtom so need to press the home button and relaunch the app and it'll work. When the phone call ends the Tomtom is not affected.

Thanks, that's more dangerous, but at least it will be giving directions to turn left as we drift off to the right while screwing around with it
  • Reply 79 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judgegavel View Post

Wow, so glad I got Navigon, and didn't wait for this, it was cheaper and has better maps/software. The only thing Tom Tom had going for it was the chance to under cut them in price.

Could you test how well the GPS on Navigon works in airplane mode, i.e., disconnected from the data plan?

Travelling in Canada from the US or vice-versa, one could have an extensive roaming charge if it were necessary to be connected all the time for the GPS to work well. Obviously, certain features would not be available, but could be periodically turned on as needed.

Thanking you in advance.

Abster2Core

P.S. It would be nice if Rogers and AT&T dropped roaming charges between the two countries. Perhaps, it could be rolled into NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) That or a significant price reduction. Better to get a little that nothing at all.
  • Reply 80 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Is there any reason there couldn't be an option in the Tom Tom app such that when a phone call came in and was answered, Tom Tom would resume automatically? I don't see why not.

I thought that this had been addressed previously;

"For those of you wondering what happens when you get a call, the app turns off but restarts as soon as you finish the call, so it's not too bad. " http://recombu.com/news/tomtom-for-i...av_M11050.html

Watch the video as well