TomTom for Apple iPhone released in U.S. App Store for $99

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    TomTom isn't exactly the best out there either. Garmin and Magellan are better rated products. Running that app will surely drain your battery quickly unless you have a power adapter plugged into the iPhone. $99 doesn't make the app attractive when you can get a portable GPS for just a few dollars more.

It looks like they have done a nice job with the app in landscape mode, so I give them credit for that. I think the people that want GPS in their car already have it from the factory, or they already have a portable GPS. So why should they buy another one? Plus the speakerphone isn't the best on the iPhone, so good luck on hearing those turn by turn directions.
  • Reply 82 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Some of these are covered in other reviews. This was my second reference. Nobody else is doing it. Just thought I would.

It is going to take a day or so to get a good review done. It will be interesting to see some comparisons. My earlier bet is on TomTom, if for anything, the Kit is a must for me. Although my wife has suggested that I simply tape the iPhone, face-in, over my right ear; its the one that doesn't listen to her when she is telling me where to go.

No harm, I wasn't being a wise ass..... This time

I've actually been waiting for this app but I'm going to wait for some further reviews. iLounge should have one I would think, I've found them to be pretty good on the whole.
  • Reply 83 of 129
    [QUOTE=Abster2core;1466538]Could you test how well the GPS on Navigon works in airplane mode, i.e., disconnected from the data plan?

Travelling in Canada from the US or vice-versa, one could have an extensive roaming charge if it were necessary to be connected all the time for the GPS to work well. Obviously, certain features would not be available, but could be periodically turned on as needed.

Thanking you in advance.

Abster2Core

At the risk of re-posting - because I cannot get Navigon to work at all in airplane mode, but that may be because all the radios are tuned off, but I cant get it to gps lock even if the WiFi part is turned back on, now to add to the confusion....

I have a 3GS, & Navigon works fine (regular 3G enabled). One of my older phones a 16GB 3G, has no data (E or 3G) connection (it has a blank?) sim - that I just use for movies, skype and such. The Navigon will NOT EVER get a gps signal, even though the google maps app works just fine (with WiFi coverage of course)

I had a Genius look into this - after much persuasion cos they don't fix 'APPS' and he felt my iPhone was fine, but said the felt that the GPS chip always required data network to be available.

So beware before you buy either Navigon or TomTom -

This for some reason is too difficult a concept for either supplier to come clean on their website. Remember Navigons 'fix' for poor GPS is to reformat the memory within your iPhone (see the FAQ)

If someone could honestly answer that either APP worked even with data turned off I would be grateful

USA based, I travel to Europe quite a bit. People think these APPS are expensive, wait until you travel overseas and pay for ROAMING data rates (even pre-paid with ATT, still racks up the $$$)

Good luck
  • Reply 84 of 129
    tpurdytpurdy Posts: 40member
    I just bought it, used it, and loved it. Worked flawlessly for me. I set it on a grip pad that I have on my dash and it worked fine.

Did anyone else notice that in the last photo (with the person using the tomtom car kit) the car has a built in nav? Haha.
  • Reply 85 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Could you test how well the GPS on Navigon works in airplane mode, i.e., disconnected from the data plan?

Travelling in Canada from the US or vice-versa, one could have an extensive roaming charge if it were necessary to be connected all the time for the GPS to work well. Obviously, certain features would not be available, but could be periodically turned on as needed.

Thanking you in advance.

It worked perfectly well in airplane mode, just used it that way from NYC to Bennington VT (well most of the way, when my battery started to drain and my adapter wasn't working) and back last week. I have a 3GS, which I think makes a difference (at least the built in compass does). Navigon software is top notch and looks much better than the screen shots I've seen of the Tom Tom, I never much cared for Tom Tom software, but that was compared to similar Garmin units. The lane assist that the Navigon has made it the best navigation I've used hands down (thats compared to two Garmins [655,265WT] 2 Eclipse HU, and 1 Tom Tom).
  • Reply 86 of 129
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

There are a lot of things you shouldn't be doing while driving. At least with talking on the phone, if it is hands-free it is still legal in most jurisdictions (though I am aware of studies that say it is no less dangerous than hands-on).

I think you are right. There should be an option to disable calls or send them straight to voice mail, perhaps with an audible beep that a call came in but no visual notification. This would also apply to SMS and other Push Notifications, as they require you to look down and dismiss the message. This would be akin to turning off you phone when you get in the car. I don't know many/any people that do this as a matter of course.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sounds like a great idea to me as well, unfortunately, most jurisdictions that have laws regarding cell phone usage while driving allow them with hands free functionality. But many people disregard that stipulation at least here in California. The iPhone has really too small of a screen to be very useful as an on dash GPS device anyway. Squinting and studying the small text is likely to be more dangerous than talking on the phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Considering every built in Nav or hands free options in stand alone navs don't do that why would that be the option you reached for with the iPhone? The fact that the iPhone doesn't handle this in a hands off way actually makes this more dangerous than other options.

It's been shown that talking on a phone when driving, either holding it or not, is at least as dangerous as drinking while legally drunk.

I've said this years ago, but no one believed it.

There should be something that prevents talking on a phone while the car is moving. Period. I was almost hit a couple of times by people talking on their phones while driving.

Its amazing that something that we could never do at all, has become so important to some people, that they have to do it even though it's rarely important.
  • Reply 87 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

It's not illegal here in SWFL.

I text all the time while driving, it's not a good idea but it's a habit.

Fun fact: A car and driver mag that I have at the house claims that texting while driving is actually nearly 3 times worse than drunk driving. They measured reaction times and found it to be 3 times longer to react to something when texting over drunk driving.

I have not yet tried to be in a call and use the Tomtom as the main app yet. I will try later when I have a chance to do so.

So, you know that you're doing something really stupid, and could put other people's lives in danger, but you not only continue to do it, but are proud of it?

Amazing!
  • Reply 88 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

So, you know that you're doing something really stupid, and could put other people's lives in danger, but you not only continue to do it, but are proud of it?

Amazing!

Proud of it? Where did you read ANYTHING like that?

I said it was a habit. Similar to those who smoke...

I'm a person who responds to each text, I answer every phone call, I return every voicemail, and I'm always early and prepared for work. Thats just how I am. I don't leave a stone unturned.

As far as putting others in danger.... I feel that it's no more dangerous than the people here in FL over the age of 60, or those who believe a turn signal is optional. However, contrary to popular belief texting is 3 times more dangerous than drunk driving; as I have stated in a previous post.
  • Reply 89 of 129
    Quote:

Proud of it? Where did you read ANYTHING like that?

I said it was a habit. Similar to those who smoke...

I'm a person who responds to each text, I answer every phone call, I return every voicemail, and I'm always early and prepared for work. Thats just how I am. I don't leave a stone unturned.

As far as putting others in danger.... I feel that it's no more dangerous than the people here in FL over the age of 60, or those who believe a turn signal is optional. However, contrary to popular belief texting is 3 times more dangerous than drunk driving; as I have stated in a previous post.

When someone puts something down as a "fun fact" even though it's about something dangerous, it usually means that the person doesn't value the information.

No one HAS to answer every call, e-mail, text, or whatever, when driving. In fact, they shouldn't answer any of them. If you're that anal, perhaps you should try not to be.

The fact that YOU feel that way doesn't matter. Its been shown to be very dangerous.

I don't get the point of why other drivers who might have problems should affect your doing the right thing.

You feel that two drivers both driving below their level of competence are safer than one? Or none?

So if all drivers were on the phone or texting you think that would be fine?
  • Reply 90 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

When someone puts something down as a "fun fact" even though it's about something dangerous, it usually means that the person doesn't value the information.

No one HAS to answer every call, e-mail, text, or whatever, when driving. In fact, they shouldn't answer any of them. If you're that anal, perhaps you should try not to be.

The fact that YOU feel that way doesn't matter. Its been shown to be very dangerous.

I don't get the point of why other drivers who might have problems should affect your doing the right thing.

You feel that two drivers both driving below their level of competence are safer than one? Or none?

So if all drivers were on the phone or texting you think that would be fine?

I don't think you're grasping my point entirely. It's merely a habit, thus hard to break. Unfortunately, there isn't a patch for it and in my line of work as a technician I MUST answer each phone call on my Sprint (Symbol PDA) device for work, otherwise we get into a lot of trouble. We don't live in a perfect world.

Heck NO! Not everyone should be on the phone or texting. Some have a hard enough time driving properly as it is. Not everyone is created equal. Some are natural athletes; I happen to have better than average vision and a great multi tasking ability. I know that sounds like complete BS and I don't expect you to believe that, but thats how I feel. You can't expect everybody to on the same level when it comes to doing things while they're driving.
  • Reply 91 of 129
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Given that TomTom was probably one of the more anticipated GPS apps the $99 price point is a dissapointment given most folks probably were also intrested in the mount.

navigon is $69 on sale until 8/31 (unknown how map updates will work)

iGo My Way is $80 (free map updates until 2010)

CoPilot is $35

For the folks bad mouthing CoPilot here's a review:

"So is it worth the £26? Definitely. Co-Pilot is so far the best sat-nav app we've seen for the iPhone. If you've not already got a navigation app or a standalone device it's an absolute snip (though the in-built GPS chip is not the finest for walking or cycling). But, of course, the real question is whether the TomTom app is worth twice the cost. We'll bring you the skinny on that as soon as we can."

http://www.techradar.com/news/portab...6826?artc_pg=2

"The marker has been laid down for TomTom and for the life of me I cannot see how it can compete. IQ Routes is an advantage, but how does it attack an opponent who makes a solution so complete at a price point which is unfathomable.

Co-Pilot Live 8 is ‘spectacularly’ good and it still would be if it cost £60 for the UK version. At £25.99 for the UK version and £59.99 for Europe it is hard to comprehend the value buried in this application. It is the very best satellite navigation solution available on the iPhone at this time, and I suspect it will be in 6 months time as well."

http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/200...iphone-review/

"ALK has jumped into the iPhone navigation sector with a bang, and priced its Co-Pilot Live 8 solution very aggressively. You could be mistaken for thinking that £25.99 for the UK version is a printing error, but it is indeed completely real and this will put some serious pressure on the competition.

The danger is that customers who have not heard of Co-Pilot may expect a budget solution, but they would be a long way from the facts with such an assumption.

There is nothing budget minded about the iPhone version of Co-Pilot and indeed it offers an experience which equals, if not betters, versions on other platforms.

The number of features included in Co-Pilot is impressive and it would take us too long to list them all here. With Live Services, a variety of modes such as walking, driving and cycling, POIs and many, many more it is hard to see where ALK has cut down the iPhone offering. In fact, it has not been cut down at all and is a fully fledged navigation tool which includes most of what users will need.

The initial pricing takes Co-Pilot to a new level for value and the ball is now in its competitor’s courts as to how to react. Simply superb."

http://www.gpsdaily.co.uk/reviews/re...ve-for-iphone/

Mostly UK reviews because the US version lagged a bit.

Personally, I'm going to get the CoPilot since $35 is a low risk purchase. Heck, it's cheaper than a lot of map updates.

I'll decide later if I'm going to get the TomTom package or an updated standalone and hope for a sale or something because frankly there are still a number of annoyances vs a dedicated GPS. It's not a $180 value to me vs a dedicated GPS + iPhone and CoPilot.

The problem is that it really isn't "one device". It's my phone plus the mount to be really useful (iPhone speaker a little too wimpy IMHO). That's still TWO devices. When you can dock your iPhone directly into your car as a nav system...THEN it's one device.
  • Reply 92 of 129
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I don't think you're grasping my point entirely. It's merely a habit, thus hard to break. Unfortunately, there isn't a patch for it and in my line of work as a technician I MUST answer each phone call on my Sprint (Symbol PDA) device for work, otherwise we get into a lot of trouble. We don't live in a perfect world.

I hope your employer has some deep pockets when you eventually slip up.
  • Reply 93 of 129
    The speaker is lacking quite a bit, making the cradle something I'm going to be mulling over for a bit. Other that the speaker phone bit, the App works great IMHO. It works much better than my TomTom OneXL. Much faster, slick graphics, and has some of the better features like posting the speed limit of the road you're currently traveling.

Another one of my pet peeves is the time accuracy with respect to the time shown at the top of your iPhone. For example; I set up an address this morning at like 8:15am(iPhone time) and the destination was said to be 19 minutes away(according to TomTom), and it gave me an arrival time of 8:37(according to TomTom). If my math is correct, and it always is..... that is 22 minutes. So, in my conclusion I believe the TomTom app may be running its own hidden clock that is a couple minutes off of the iPhone's clock.
  • Reply 94 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I hope your employer has some deep pockets when you eventually slip up.

Are you a mother?

Some things are not inevitable.

Too many people see the negative in everything. Contrary to popular belief, not all motorcyclists on crotch rockets are going to kill themselves, or even get into an accident for that matter.

....and NO, I don't drive a motorcycle.
  • Reply 95 of 129
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Another one of my pet peeves is the time accuracy with respect to the time shown at the top of your iPhone. For example; I set up an address this morning at like 8:15am(iPhone time) and the destination was said to be 19 minutes away(according to TomTom), and it gave me an arrival time of 8:37(according to TomTom). If my math is correct, and it always is..... that is 22 minutes. So, in my conclusion I believe the TomTom app may be running its own hidden clock that is a couple minutes off of the iPhone's clock.

Maybe it's using the time from the GPS signal rather than from the iPhone.
  • Reply 96 of 129
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I took a driving course in high school some 20 years ago. Our driving instructor asked us statistically what percentage of drivers have an auto accident. 50% - 75% we guessed.

100% answered our instructor. Whether it's your fault or not it is inevitable.

Quote:

Are you a mother?

Some things are not inevitable.

Too many people see the negative in everything. Contrary to popular belief, not all motorcyclists on crotch rockets are going to kill themselves, or even get into an accident for that matter.

....and NO, I don't drive a motorcycle.

• Reply 97 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judgegavel View Post

It worked perfectly well in airplane mode, just used it that way from NYC to Bennington VT (well most of the way, when my battery started to drain and my adapter wasn't working) and back last week. I have a 3GS, which I think makes a difference (at least the built in compass does). Navigon software is top notch and looks much better than the screen shots I've seen of the Tom Tom, I never much cared for Tom Tom software, but that was compared to similar Garmin units. The lane assist that the Navigon has made it the best navigation I've used hands down (thats compared to two Garmins [655,265WT] 2 Eclipse HU, and 1 Tom Tom).

Are you quite certain airplane mode was on???

This adds much to the confusion, Navigon WILL NOT work for me in Airplane mode, what doesn't help the cause, from apples own web site at

http://www.apple.com/iphone/how-to/#....airplane-mode

Airplane Mode

Airplane mode disables the wireless features of iPhone to avoid interfering with aircraft operation and other electrical equipment.

Turn on airplane mode:

Tap Settings and turn airplane mode on.

When airplane mode is on, appears in the status bar at the top of the screen. No phone, radio, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth signals are emitted from iPhone and GPS reception is turned off, disabling many of iPhone?s features. You won?t be able to:

so GPS is apparently turned OFF
  • Reply 98 of 129
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

It's not illegal here in SWFL.

I text all the time while driving, it's not a good idea but it's a habit.

Fun fact: A car and driver mag that I have at the house claims that texting while driving is actually nearly 3 times worse than drunk driving. They measured reaction times and found it to be 3 times longer to react to something when texting over drunk driving.

I have not yet tried to be in a call and use the Tomtom as the main app yet. I will try later when I have a chance to do so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I54mlK0kVw

Sign in required, a drivers ed film on the dangers of texting while driving.

Graphic content.
  • Reply 99 of 129
    HERE'S your $99.
  • Reply 100 of 129
    Until we can determine if the GPS on the iphone requires internet connection, would those using a GPS app post their Data Usage using the app over a given period, e.g., half hour, hour, etc.?

Suggest including the name of the app. Not sure if there is any difference if the iPhone is on 3G or Edge.

Thank you.