Apple expected to push for greater living room presence

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Now there's a bag of hurt if I ever saw one. Having said that - as long as the cable companies gain from the deal they might be willing to open a dialogue.

Personally I'd like to see an aTV with PVR, DVD / BR, and an iTunes stores with a 'deep library of rental content - like several thousands of movies. I would also like to see a way in which my aTV can replace my cable box. You know, a card slot with a card from my cable co. Hell definitely will freeze over before this happens but I feel we entering dreamland here so why not. Television could be great but unfortunately I can't see it happening. This is one are where I think consumers will always loose.

Okay... this is so odd since this week I decided to start implementing an XBMC for my homes various TVs. The wife and I got bit bad by the dvd-bug (very early on) and have amassed a wall of movies. No exaggeration, an entire wall, ceiling to floor of movies... I think It actually messes with my in home wifi... cause one area of my family room is a wifi dead-zone and the house is only 60x40 with the wifi sitting right in the middle. Anyway...

So yea.. as I'm building this system I'm first amazed at just how amazing it looks... Some of the skin developers really really have it going! Then again, some are SUPER bad but thats the world of open projects.

I'm ashamed to say the skin I'm running right now while I painstakingly add all my dvd content which should take hundreds of years and cost thousands of lives... (builders of the Panama canal got nuttin on me!) is really an impressive work of art AND something I know my wife and inlaws would take to in a second and thats saying LOTS, I've scrapped more 'automated home of the future' projects then I care to mention simply because the wife and inlaws just would want to learn it. I guess they're right, I love to learn this junk so its no big deal... not the same for them.

What I'm having a hard time understanding is why the movie industry doesn't take a second and learn from the iPhone App store and for that matter the fast food industry...

$.99 cents is a really sweet price! It's an 'ah what the hell its less than a buck' purchasing motivators. $1.99, $2.99, $3.99... now the number of people lining up starts to drop off significantly.

Look at it another way... Give a kid a $10 pre-paid movie card... that gets em what 1 or 1.5 visits to the mall mega-theater complex or 4ish? Apple TV movie rentals... It's not that enticing! Now how about that $10 movie card with a .99c price model... TEN whole movies for the little brat at 2 movies per weekend that would take care of a months worth of movies, to me thats something an aunt, uncle, cousin, grandma, etc would buy in a heartbeat and the best news is since the grocery store down the block already sells iTunes cards they don't even need to go out of their way.

I dunno... but I for one think the movie industry is loosing tons of potential revenue each and every day by having their price points set too high.

I wonder how many .99c App Store apps have outsold more than 60% of the available movies on iTunes today?

Heh... I'll bet Apple knows... lol

Dave
  • Reply 42 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by not_too_shabby View Post

Sounds cool, but I think the problem we are going to have here is the cable companies comcasts, cox, etc are going to have an issue with people pulling all their TV service off of their high speed internet connection. Especially when these people start canceling their cable. Expect comcast to fire back with lower monthly download caps unless you subscribe to their cable tv service.

This is where competition should drive down the price of everything. Apple TV users would have at least two ways to get internet access (cable, phone) and two ways to get a TV package subscription (cable, Apple TV).

I do not think Apple can take a TV subscription package beyond niche status unless they (1) have all or nearly all of the major network shows, and (2) have the major live programming -- sports, news, award shows, etc. Apple will not be able to get a critical mass of people to adopt an Apple TV subscription package unless it allows them to cancel their cable TV subscription.

Even if Apple TV has a good, reasonably priced TV show subscription package, I don't see it going mass without Monday Night Football, CNN, the Academy Awards, etc.
  • Reply 43 of 99
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Who said it was perfect. It’s highly flawed, hence my use of the term placeholder, but you are short-sided to think Apple can drop the whole idea of iTunes in the living room because you are caught up on the term “hobby”. A lot has changed in 3 years. Paths have closed while others have opened in these 3 years. You are also crazy to suggest a $700 Mac that requires a keyboard, mouse and extensive tweaking to work an HDTV in the same was as a $200 device designed for TV as a better solution than a media extender or game console with networking capabilities. Maybe you should look up 10-foot user interface. The Mac Mini makes for a great system for your TV for PC enthusiasts, but you claim that it’s ideal for the average person, which it is not. It’s the last thing after the AppleTV, 360, PS3, TiVo and other devices for the average person. And yes, calling people fanboys and making up lies is being a jerk.

You're crazy - A macmini cost $600- so therefor you lie. You call people jerks because they don't agree with you? That''s the real defiintion of the word "jerk".

Who need a mouse or keyboard? Haven't you ever heard of Front Row? It works with a remote. I suggest you read up on watching and listening to media on a Mac first before throwing such a hissy fit.

Who's saying anything about giving up Itunes in the living room? That's your warped interpretation.. I'm saying I want more - internet , mail, etc.- not just an iTunes jukebox.
  • Reply 43 of 99
    Some kernels of good ideas here, but no way/no how that Apple is going to get into the cable subscription business. They did not get into that business model with the iPhone or iTunes, and I see no compelling reason for them to want to do it with @TV.

The only subscription business they do have - the awkwardly named 'MobileMe' - is a sub-par offering.
  • Reply 45 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

T....without Monday Night Football, CNN, the Academy Awards, etc.

CNN? Fewer and fewer watch anymore: http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/c..._msnbc_gro.php

They used to be something........
  • Reply 46 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

CNN? Fewer and fewer watch anymore: http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/c..._msnbc_gro.php

They used to be something........

What are you talking about? They helped get elected Barrack Obama almost singlehandedly.

Of course they're down now- it's not an election year and they invested too much prime promo on Anderson Cooper.
  • Reply 47 of 99
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Nothing is impossible as related to this "hobby" which has yet to move significantly after 2 1/2 years. It should be canned and merged into the MacMini. In fact all Apple needs to do is add HDMI to the Mini- end of story.

Buy a MacMini instead and get Safari and so much more- and not at that much more of a co$t.

Even MacWorld suggests doing that as a better option.

Apple's insane success leads me to truly believe that they monitor this forum closely and do EXACTLY the opposite of what techstud recommends.
  • Reply 48 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Apple's insane success leads me to truly believe that they monitor this forum closely and do EXACTLY the opposite of what techstud recommends.

Right - and that's why I bought an iPhone (which I trul;y love) July 3rd and the stock and the iPhone has gone up, up and up. Think again.

BTW - what is the success rate of the AppleTV again?
  • Reply 49 of 99
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

What are you talking about? They helped get elected Barrack Obama almost singlehandedly.

Of course they're down now- it's not an election year and they invested too much prime promo on Anderson Cooper.

How's the weather on that planet you live on?

CNN's down, but because of the ravings of bigots like Lou Dobbs.
  • Reply 50 of 99
    Quote:

Is there a way to ignore people on this forum?

Quote:

Right - and that's why I bought an iPhone July 3rd and the stock and the iPhone has gone up, up and up. Think again.

You buying an iPhone has nothing to do with what he stated and the fact that the stock market is rowing after falling so much this first part of the year. In fact, your comment makes no sense as a response to his comment. Did you expect Apple to drop the iPhone from their stores because you bought one? I thought ignorance was supposed to be bliss?
  • Reply 51 of 99
    Quote:

How's the weather on that planet you live on?

CNN's down, but because of the ravings of bigots like Lou Dobbs.

You shouldn't use words like bigot unless you understand their definiton first. Who are the others on CNN? You did pluralize the word.
  • Reply 52 of 99
    Quote:

What are you talking about? They helped get elected Barrack Obama almost singlehandedly. Of course they're down now- it's not an election year and they invested too much prime promo on Anderson Cooper.

- They helped get elected Barrack Obama almost singlehandedly.

Are you kidding me? How's about some numbers to back that up? Just because a cable news network turned into just another PR arm of the Democratic national party does not mean it was in any way responsible for the election...

For CNN to be a driving force in American politics they actually need AMERICANS to watch and listen to them. I think we're nearing the point where CNNs largest view base will be right-wingers who are simply tuning in so they have something to complain about to Rush or Hannity the following day.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    Quote:

You buying an iPhone has nothing to do with what he stated and the fact that the stock market is rowing after falling so much this first part of the year. In fact, your comment makes no sense as a response to his comment. Did you expect Apple to drop the iPhone from their stores because you bought one? I thought ignorance was supposed to be bliss?

You obviously have no sense of humor- do you? I was responding in like to his non-sensical remark. Geeesh!
  • Reply 54 of 99
    Quote:

You shouldn't use words like bigot unless you understand their definiton first. Who are the others on CNN? You did pluralize the word.

An apostrophe plus ?s? means either possession or contraction. Your argument is failing is worse if you have to attack syntax here, but you should at least try to be on target when you do.

By the way, bigoted is obstinately convinced of the superiority or correctness of one's own opinions and prejudiced against those who hold different opinions. That sounds like you in a nutshell. Emphasis on nut. Just kidding, I?m sure you are just having a bad day. We are all entitled to those every now and then.
  • Reply 55 of 99
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Some kernels of good ideas here, but no way/no how that Apple is going to get into the cable subscription business. They did not get into that business model with the iPhone or iTunes, and I see no compelling reason for them to want to do it with @TV.

The only subscription business they do have - the awkwardly named 'MobileMe' - is a sub-par offering.

They're going to have to if they want to break through into the living room or somebody else like Netflix or Microsoft will. iTunes TV shows simply cost too much money to buy consistently and the same subscriptions should apply to movies as well. You could have made the same argument about Apple making a phone 5 years ago. Just because they haven't done it, does not mean they will ever do it.

That being said, who in the hell trusts an analyst with what Apple does next? THey are almost never right and when they are it is just luck.

The two things I'd like to see in TV:

-same App Store apps as the tablet will use

-TV/Movies subscriptions that are cheaper than cable and rival Netflix. Also the ability to stream channels.

If they do this the TV would be the smash hit everyone expected it to be. I couldn't care less about a DVR. I want Apple to get rid of the cable box, not embolden it. Like the telcos, I want the cable companies to become dumb pipes.
  • Reply 56 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

That being said, who in the hell trusts an analyst with what Apple does next? THey are almost never right and when they are it is just luck

!!!!!!! Weren't you told?!?!?! That's supposed to be a SECRET!!! Now you've really done it, wait till the others find out!

Dave
  • Reply 57 of 99
    Quote:

By the way, bigoted is obstinately convinced of the superiority or correctness of one's own opinions and prejudiced against those who hold different opinions. That sounds like you in a nutshell. Emphasis on nut. Just kidding, I’m sure you are just having a bad day. We are all entitled to those every now and then.

??? I'm having a great day. And thank you for calling me a name and than qualifying that you were "just kidding" -says even more about you.
  • Reply 58 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muncie View Post

Apple, please add international football (soccer) channels/ games to your TV lineup: FSC, GolTV, Setanta, ESPN2. There is a huge pent up demand in the USA for on-demand broadcasts of games played in Europe, South America, Africa, Asia, Oceania, etc..

Live sports? Even better.

Yep, this is the conundrum, Live Sports the only reason I have cableTV is for Formula One on SpeedTV.

Nothing would make me happier than being able to cancel my too expensive Cox Cable bill. I have had to scale back and get the slowest internet connection Cox offers (it is noticeably slower) and cancel my DVR, HD service and land line phone. My bill went from $150 to $90 and that is still too expensive.

I'm seriously considering canceling my ATT iPhone service and saving another $50/mo. by getting a cheap Verizon phone and carrying my iPhone as a Touch for free wifi only to access emails, etc.

I have an AppleTV, EyeTV and Cox Cable. But the quality of EyeTV is not good. After the F1 season I will be canceling my Cox TV cable.
  • Reply 59 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

They're going to have to if they want to break through into the living room or somebody else like Netflix or Microsoft will. iTunes TV shows simply cost too much money to buy consistently and the same subscriptions should apply to movies as well. You could have made the same argument about Apple making a phone 5 years ago. Just because they haven't done it, does not mean they will ever do it.

That being said, who in the hell trusts an analyst with what Apple does next? THey are almost never right and when they are it is just luck.

The two things I'd like to see in TV:

-same App Store apps as the tablet will use

-TV/Movies subscriptions that are cheaper than cable and rival Netflix. Also the ability to stream channels.

If they do this the TV would be the smash hit everyone expected it to be. I couldn't care less about a DVR. I want Apple to get rid of the cable box, not embolden it. Like the telcos, I want the cable companies to become dumb pipes.

That sounds reasonable and the likely path to take, but apps for a 10? touchscreen should be not the same apps for a TV. There needs to be an SDK that develops for a 10ft user interface.

Consoles aren?t too much more than the AppleTV and they offer Blu-ray or DVD playback while connecting to Netflix, YouTube, the internet and your home network so the AppleTV needs to be able to offer most of those things at a lower price or offer something else that can?t easily be matched by the consoles to be a real winner in the media extender market. It?s not going away and this hobby placeholder will have to be a primary leg or Apple?s operations soon or it may not ever have a chance without licensing iTunes to other people?s hardware. I think an AppleTV OS X SDK would be the ?killer app? to set it apart from the herd, assuming that the other things like TV subscriptions are also included.
  • Reply 60 of 99
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domdn View Post

Also, up to this point I haven't seen a reason for Apple TV - it seems like an experiment not a value-delivering product.

It's a fair point and comparatively poor sales (the 6.6m isn't too slack) show that many people concur with you. Whilst I think mine's great it's only because of the background work I have to do which makes it that way, not Apple's services (though we rarely rent films from elsewhere - including the satellite service). Apple either need to beef up their hardware statement or services or both: hardware - why isn't ATV my wireless & media server, surely integrating ATV & Time Capsule would add perceived value? Also, why can't we rent TV shows for half-price? The mechanism's there already!

McD