Apple expected to push for greater living room presence

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

Ditto for me.

Ive always said, if iTV could replace my horrible Tivo id buy it in a second.

YES! I just set up a Tivo for my parents, and it was such an ordeal. If something didn't work (Tivo couldn't download channel listings, couldn't control my cable box, etc.) I had to UNPLUG the thing and start over! I probably spent 4-5 hours over a week just setting it up.

Not to mention that it's laggy (takes 4-5 seconds to switch channels), inelegant (the information display takes up about 40% of the TOP of the screen), and no longer has full "dual tuner" functionality since the digital switchover.
  • Reply 62 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

YES! I just set up a Tivo for my parents, and it was such an ordeal. If something didn't work (Tivo couldn't download channel listings, couldn't control my cable box, etc.) I had to UNPLUG the thing and start over! I probably spent 4-5 hours over a week just setting it up.

Not to mention that it's laggy (takes 4-5 seconds to switch channels), inelegant (the information display takes up about 40% of the TOP of the screen), and no longer has full "dual tuner" functionality since the digital switchover.

I hate the lag between channels and between the interface itself. I have the HD box so I thought it would be faster to switch between menus, but it?s still so slow. I hate the advertisements at the end of windows and the different interfaces for different things. It?s all hackey. And I really hate that it doesn?t buffer enough of an HD show despite my having a 1.5TB drive in it. I have plenty of space. MY PS3 and 360 are no better at things, though streaming Netflix from the 360 is better than the others. I?ve tried a Mac Mini a couple years ago and you can set it up to work kind of like the AppleTV but it takes some AppleScripts and setup to get it going but you?ll still need a keyboard and mouse at times. For renting movies, listening to music in iTunes or watching YouTube videos I prefer the AppleTV, but it?s far from perfect. I don?t expect it to be all of those devices in one, but streaming from Hulu and Netflix would be great for me and I think many others, too.
  • Reply 63 of 99
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    I continue to fail to see how AppleTV is such a disappointment to people. I've had it since day one and use it just about every day. I think many people who complain about the AppleTV don't have one. Check out this list of features:

- access to all my music, music video, podcast, TV show and movie libraries through iTunes

- access to all the pictures in iPhoto

- browsing movie trailers

- ability to search, browse and buy music and TV shows from the iTunes Store

- ability to buy and/or rent movies from the iTunes Store

- access to YouTube videos

- access to Flickr (mine and friend's galleries)

- access to Mobile Me Web Galleries

- ability to enjoy content from a friend's notebook when they visit

I've used all these features many times and have been very satisfied with my experience. One of my favorite things to do is use my TV as a huge digital picture frame (pick a photo album to be my screen saver when I'm playing music). This works exceptionally well at parties for creating a mood. Video Podcasts (new and original content for free) have become a regular part of my viewing schedule too. I've even been able to add my own content to iTunes to enjoy on my living room TV and all of it in an elegant interface with little hassle.

Because of AppleTV, I cancelled both my cable TV service and Netflix account - two years ago. I'm spending less and rarely feel like I'm missing out on anything. Aside from probably saying something about me, I think that says a lot about how 'successful' the AppleTV is. Sure I see room for improvement, but AppleTV is very far from the POS many people seem to label it. It offers a high degree of functionality.

My biggest area of concern is streaming hiccups and load times (both local and remote). It would also be nice to pull up the full info of a file just as you can iTunes. Adding DVR, DVD and/or BD not only cuts into iTunes Store purchases, but doesn't offer anything new or specific to the AppleTV. I'm not saying those are awful ideas but they aren't that exciting. AppleTV will grow when Apple can find more ways to differentiate it from everything else. Perhaps social networking features for rating and sharing what content you are enjoying is an area to explore. Encouraging and expanding Video Podcasts is something else I think Apple should look into. And of course there's the ever present desire for more content to buy and rent.
  • Reply 64 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

So corporate buy-outs of competition makes you smile? Very sad to see that from an Apple supporter.

Really? Why? I'm by no means saying it should be a hostile take-over...did it break your heart when Apple bought PA Semi? How about Emagic? Maybe Apple supporters should be ashamed of Apple's purchase of NeXT? There's a big difference between the acquisition of a synergistic (hate the word, but it fits) company, and blindly buying up all competition in the way Cisco and Microsoft have at times done.

So, how about some valid response to my proposition...I have for _years_ been saying that Netflix would make a great, compatible, market-expanding purchase for Apple. I actually wrote a paper about it when I was getting my MBA, before Netflix launched their streaming service...it just makes more sense now.
  • Reply 65 of 99
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

...why isn't ATV my wireless & media server, surely integrating ATV & Time Capsule would add perceived value? Also, why can't we rent TV shows for half-price? The mechanism's there already!

McD

I'm not sure why AppleTV users should be allowed to rent movies for half price, but I think your idea about integrating the AppleTV with the Time Capsule is brilliant. Now that's something to get excited about!
  • Reply 66 of 99
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Nothing is impossible as related to this "hobby" which has yet to move significantly after 2 1/2 years. It should be canned and merged into the MacMini. In fact all Apple needs to do is add HDMI to the Mini- end of story.

Buy a MacMini instead and get Safari and so much more- and not at that much more of a co$t.

Even MacWorld suggests doing that as a better option.

I'm with you. I never saw the point of Apple TV. For how much it costs and how little it does, why wouldn't you just get a Mini?
  • Reply 67 of 99
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I'm not sure why AppleTV users should be allowed to rent movies for half price, but I think your idea about integrating the AppleTV with the Time Capsule is brilliant. Now that's something to get excited about!

Well, that's not it.. it's not a great place to constantly backup your data because of the limited hard drive space compared to Time Capsule and it's simply not that efficient, since your computer would have to send that backup data to the router and then to the Apple TV. Besides Apple would love to have you buying Time Capsule.. it certainly makes them much more money than Apple TV. Maybe something like being a media streaming server for all the electronics in the house is more realistic. Serving up your purchased iTunes content to your iPhone, Macs, iPod touches without taking up space on those respective devices.
  • Reply 68 of 99
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Perhaps social networking features for rating and sharing what content you are enjoying is an area to explore. Encouraging and expanding Video Podcasts is something else I think Apple should look into. And of course there's the ever present desire for more content to buy and rent.

It would be nice to search my own music files directly in its GUI- not just music to buy from iTunes. Also iTunes video selection is very limited. Apple refuses to open ATV up, as so with everything else Apple, but in this case it hurts it. Most of its films offered are crappola. I would also like to browse the internet in my living room on my 42 inch HDTV- is that such a difficult request ? To add Safari to it? And it def needs games and recording capabilites.

As long as AppleTV remains basically a consumer iTunes digital jukebox with an emphasis on buying and renting from iTunes it will never catch on with the public. It's not a great device like an iPod- hot as hell- it doesn't even have an on/off switch???? I've owned one for over 2 years. Airtunes on my Airport express worked basically just as well for what I use it for - listening to my music.

And where's its Visualizer?
  • Reply 69 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You cannot install Snow Leopard on a MacBook Air »» without «« owning/acquiring/borrowing/stealing one of those external superdrives. INCREDULOUS!

Re your Off Topics but loud comment on posts ...

If Apple would only allow you to purchase and download Snow Leopard on line (it is only <7 Gigs which on a fast connection is not too bad) you can easily create a 10 Gig partition on your HD, install on the new partition from the image file then boot from the partition and voila!
  • Reply 70 of 99
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If Apple would only allow you to purchase and download Snow Leopard on line (it is only <7 Gigs which on a fast connection is not too bad) you can easily create a 10 Gig partition on your HD, install on the new partition from the image file then boot from the partition and voila!

or you could buy the external drive from Apple, install and then return it for refund.
  • Reply 71 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I'm with you. I never saw the point of Apple TV. For how much it costs and how little it does, why wouldn't you just get a Mini?

Didn?t he say that he bought the original AppleTV before any of the cool YouTube, Flickr, or movie rental was available? It?s gotten so much better now but he saying it was better then when he bought it? For $200 and the ease of use I prefer it to my other devices that do the same thing, but for $600 for a Mac MIni that requires me to plug in my keyboard and mouse and stand next to my TV to switch apps it?s not a great idea. For techheads I?m sure it?s great, but then why buy a Mac Mini at all when you can get a tower with a Blu-ray player and DVR for the same price and actually have true OS for your media with it. The AppleTV is far from perfect but a Mac Mini to suit the average person?s needs for their TV is even much farther away.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Originally Posted by Ireland

You cannot install Snow Leopard on a MacBook Air »» without «« owning/acquiring/borrowing/stealing one of those external superdrives. INCREDULOUS!

The comment by Ireland isn?t correct by a long shot. There is remote disc, any USB optical drive or external flash or harddrive, or even a partition on the internal drive to install Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 72 of 99
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Up till now A mac mini is a great apple tv player with all the extra computer stuff thrown in . i bought a $100 roku box to add to this and i am fine .

BUT i await the day when The APPLE TV grows up to its full potential. I will buy . Maybe it will be the iphone in the sky
  • Reply 73 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

??? I'm having a great day. And thank you for calling me a name and than qualifying that you were "just kidding" -says even more about you.

can you 2 babies leave the topic now

>>>

Apple TVBOX THAT works like DVR/ROKU box

would rock . Witha 500 >750g HD And full internet play thru with the already fantastic itune>iphoto>imovie on our 1080p TV's rocks.

And to think that i all of this media content can get to our iphones.mbp's and our ipods> tablets will make apple unbeatable . oh And all those games to DL !!!

• Reply 74 of 99
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by concentricity View Post

Really? Why? I'm by no means saying it should be a hostile take-over...did it break your heart when Apple bought PA Semi? How about Emagic? Maybe Apple supporters should be ashamed of Apple's purchase of NeXT? There's a big difference between the acquisition of a synergistic (hate the word, but it fits) company, and blindly buying up all competition in the way Cisco and Microsoft have at times done.

So, how about some valid response to my proposition...I have for _years_ been saying that Netflix would make a great, compatible, market-expanding purchase for Apple. I actually wrote a paper about it when I was getting my MBA, before Netflix launched their streaming service...it just makes more sense now.

Congratulations, you know more than me.

My only comment would be that since Netflix already has deals with many other companies (i.e. Samsung, Microsoft, LG etc.) i really don't see how Apple could keep those connectionsif they purchased Netflix. Plus, Netflix has an entirely different business model to media distribution than Apple. So sure, it could work, but i don't think it would happen. Considering Netflix is a pretty major competitor in the Media Distribution market (along with iTunes, Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, and some of the free sites like HULU), i see that as more of a hostile take-over rather than strategic merger. Unless Netflix really doesn't care about keeping it's business, I don't see the advantage to merging with Apple for them? You would think that if Apple did purchase Netflix, they would continue the subscription service? Or, would they raise prices and have an even larger market share of subscribers? Sounds more the case to me. That would probably be bad from the Netflix perspective.

But, since you're the expert, i don't feel as though i can contribute to the level you desire. Go ahead and tell my why my thoughts are wrong.
  • Reply 75 of 99
    Apple certainly hasn't succeeded in changing the way we watch TV. What's more, other boxes have offered greater functionality... so the AppleTV hasn't really taken off. It's interesting that my parents think the best feature is the screen saver - they have a beautiful huge plasma and while they've got music on in the background, family photos

stream by... it is quite impressive... but not the game changer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Munster is full of it as usual. Apple would have to make box that supports cable and satellite if they want DVR features to appeal to the masses.

If they want to make a fully functional multi-platform DVR, then yes. If they want to simply do a FTA DVR and supplement with iTunes subscription, that makes a lot of sense. It takes pressure off the internet (and people's cable accounts) for a significant proportion of shows people want to "time shift" (ie recordings) while still offering content from cable channels to watch "time shifted" (ie downloaded) - all potentially in a single interface.

Quote:

Now, with iTunes subscription services. Well, sounds like a missed opportunity for Apple. I have the Netflix account that's unlimited rentals @ 3 at a time for 18 bucks and i can't see how Apple can compete with that, and we watch 3 DVD's per week on minimum.

The Netflix model is actually one that doesn't work well for the movie companies IMO. The studio can only sell the DVD once, and it's then rented out many times. Netflix works great for users who make the minimal effort to keep it all rolling well... I'm sure AppleTV can not compete with the best use scenarios of Netflix, but Netflix itself might not be able to continue that model.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Also, you won't be able to transfer shows between devices or your computer because the content providers are already restricting such activities for HD programs. HBO now locks True Blood from being transferred from TiVo. Discovery HD even locked all Shark Week programs too. This is of course to prevent piracy with existing BluRay recorders since they could burn the transferred HD content without loss. Since Apple wants iTunes only purchases it is doubtful they will break into the cable/sat market.

Apple is actually very controlled in its ability to transfer. They can offer better security than many other device makers. Still, they might restrict it.
  • Reply 76 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I do not think Apple can take a TV subscription package beyond niche status unless they (1) have all or nearly all of the major network shows, and (2) have the major live programming -- sports, news, award shows, etc. Apple will not be able to get a critical mass of people to adopt an Apple TV subscription package unless it allows them to cancel their cable TV subscription.

I think it's possible Apple could start with deals with just a few big players - for example, a subscription to Discovery Networks. That wouldn't mean streaming Discovery channels, but access to a great library of Discovery content (for a subscription fee) that can be selected and watched just like buying/renting content now.

* A deal with ABC (including Disney, Family, ESPN) might make sense.

* Or NBC (USA & Scifi channels)

* Or a Movie Network subscription - just allowing any movie shown on the regular channel in the last week to be downloaded free (to be watched within a month, just like rental).

They could target the people who occassionally wonder if they need their cable subscription, and niche viewers. Maybe that's only 10% of people, but it would be a significant start.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Some kernels of good ideas here, but no way/no how that Apple is going to get into the cable subscription business. They did not get into that business model with the iPhone or iTunes, and I see no compelling reason for them to want to do it with @TV.

Only if they can make something quite different to what people expect now. And on demand programs might do that.

I personally think they need to consider 4 models for watching

1) Buy TV shows

2) Rent TV shows

3) Subscribe to "channels"

4) Insert advertising so it's all free.

#4 hasn't really been done well, and it needs a good online model (advertising still follows the old model). But Apple could put ads customised just for us, individually, into the ad spots for a show. It could force us not to skip the ads. It could provide an option to get more information (now, or later). These ads are much more valuable than regular ads... and could enable free download of the TV show that goes with them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I really don't see Apple having live local news.

Live is more difficult - though Apple now has really beefed up support for live streaming.

By delaying slightly - AppleTV could do an amazing news service. Forget the 30min news bulletin and replace it with 2 hours of separate 30second-to-5minute stories that are accessible via a news menu. Allow us to select and watch stories individually, OR preselect (from a list) what we want to see, in long or short form, so we can watch our own custom news program. Even let us select "track updates" to a story, while watching. When opening the aTV News Screen, it could present the same 30second 'teaser' of upcoming news the networks already provide, it could preselect the stories with its best guess of our interests, let us modify our selections to then watch the news.
  • Reply 77 of 99
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

The Netflix model is actually one that doesn't work well for the movie companies IMO. The studio can only sell the DVD once, and it's then rented out many times. Netflix works great for users who make the minimal effort to keep it all rolling well... I'm sure AppleTV can not compete with the best use scenarios of Netflix, but Netflix itself might not be able to continue that model.

Netflix sure looks solid right now. I just looked up the stock history since 2003 and it's been steadily going up since then with a major crest between '03 and '04. it's continuing to go up and will probably due so until this recession (depression) levels out. People are going to be renting way more than buying in this economy. BD/DVD manufacturers and STB makers alike are making deals and adapting to Netflix on demand. You never know though, it could tank in a year but i see it leveling off for a while before it goes away, and that could be years away. Where else can you get obscure titles and TV shows from a collection as extensive as Netflix? I really dare you to find me an alternative company that has the 10k titles and more. They'll adapt, the same way they adapted to iTunes threat by offering demand streaming view.
  • Reply 78 of 99
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Seems all obvious what Apple could do but it has been years that we've been asking for DVR. Subscriptions are risky because the content providers can pull the plug on such ventures at will like NBC did to Apple.

DVR and console gaming are the two areas that will propell the AppleTV.
  • Reply 79 of 99
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I hope it's updated software, i don't want to have to buy again.
  • Reply 80 of 99
    Quote:

Netflix sure looks solid right now. I just looked up the stock history since 2003 and it's been steadily going up since then with a major crest between '03 and '04. it's continuing to go up and will probably due so until this recession (depression) levels out. People are going to be renting way more than buying in this economy. BD/DVD manufacturers and STB makers alike are making deals and adapting to Netflix on demand. You never know though, it could tank in a year but i see it leveling off for a while before it goes away, and that could be years away. Where else can you get obscure titles and TV shows from a collection as extensive as Netflix? I really dare you to find me an alternative company that has the 10k titles and more. They'll adapt, the same way they adapted to iTunes threat by offering demand streaming view.

HULU ??

SHOULD APPLE BUY NETFLIX ???

NO

Apple should buy EA

NETFLIX has instant play for my mac.

they also have roku box streaming movies to TV sets which now includes AMAZON movies and tv for sale and rental in hd and reg. And amazon seems to have a far better selection than apple /

ROKU box also has MLB .

That'S the good news .

The bad news is most of what they offer is real campy bad TV and movies and a lot are in bad condition like almost all the STARTZ movies they offer. I like NETFLIX a lot but what about HULU ??

Apple could instead of buying netflix > spend the same amount of money and buy the rights to a ton of selected high quality content .

Every news media outlet is already begging apple to open A space for them on the pods and phones /