Apple takes double-digit PC market share in Canada

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Actually you can walk by any coffee shop even in the poorest parts of town (where I live of course), and see at least 40/60, Macs vs. PCs in use at any one time.

Canadians are generally more progressive than US citizens and usually a bit more open to trying something new given that it's a "newer" country than the US, that also changes faster than the US.

The poorer citizens just buy second-hand Macs.

I have been using Macs for 20 plus years now I live in Kingston Ontario. I have always sensed that we must be one of the , if not the number number One Anti Mac/Apple cities in Canada. This is just great news Canada and something of a feather in Apple Canada's Hat. Congratulations Birchmount Road TO.

Just Great

HT
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

You mean they actually use computers in Canada?

Who knew.

And I used to live in Toronto!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWQf13B8epw
  • Reply 23 of 62
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Wait a minute, what about the position that Mac/Apple is the best value proposition. Lowest cost of ownership, best value, etc. They would not have to be wealthy, there would just be more brilliant people in Canada than the USA.

You can't be both elitist and value conscious at the same time.

Let's keep our stories straight. You start sounding like you make it up as you go....

They can be a very competitive and have low cost of ownership, best value, etc, and not take away from his point. I can't recall the exact details, but over the years there have been various studies that have claimed to show that Mac users are generally more intelligent and have higher incomes that Windows users. Nothing elitist about being smart enough to spend your money wisely, even if you have more than others
  • Reply 24 of 62
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The day the Mac reaches 25% worldwide, Windows will be history in three years.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Don't forget it's also the only country to have kicked the US's ass in a war, invaded your soil all the way to the Mississippi and burned the White House to the ground.

Just Sayin.

I believe that our rear ends were in a sling a while back due to the neighbor to the south. I forgot the place though... somewhere that I know I'm supposed to never forget.

Which reminds me, I need to reserve my rental car.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

They can afford to buy Macs with not having to pay for health care.

(OK, OK, just trying to get everyone riled up. Take it easy...)

Hahahaha

To Teckstud: I'm DEF. not in the 10% wealthiest and I'm an owner of 2 macs!
  • Reply 27 of 62
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I assume you are referring to the War of 1812. You will find that war was with Great Britain, and was fought to a draw.

Classic. I bet he comes from a country with single digit mac users. MIRITE?!

But in seriousness, it is odd to see Canada with a higher % of mac users, considering our overall culture is very similar (and, probably, our overall wealth lower)
  • Reply 28 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

The day the Mac reaches 25% worldwide, Windows will be history in three years.

If you have the lifespan of a gnat, maybe. Oh, and a lot of imagination.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

They can afford to buy Macs with not having to pay for health care.

(OK, OK, just trying to get everyone riled up. Take it easy...)

With the money Canada is saving having a decent healthcare system the government should buy all its citizens an mbp every three or four years!
  • Reply 30 of 62
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

You mean they actually use computers in Canada?

Who knew.

/yawn

That's really hack humor man. You need to get out of the States more often. Preferably to Canada. You might actually learn that there is a whole other world out there.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

/yawn

That's really hack humor man. You need to get out of the States more often. Preferably to Canada. You might actually learn that there is a whole other world out there.

Take it easy, I am sure he meant it as harmless humour.

Having said that, you are right. CNN today reported hurricane Bill was not going to make landfall. Meanwhile they show it's projected path heading right for the east coast of Canada...guess it doesn't count unless it hits the US.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I am actually a little surprised the Apple didn't break 10% here before. Just from personal, anecdotal evidence, the number of people buying Macs has exploded in recent years.

I'm not surprised that Apple has just increased sales of Macs in Canada. Until a couple of years ago, most of the Mac oriented computer stores in Ottawa were closing, NorthStar was gone, Compucentre had closed up. People buying Macs were starting to worry about where to take their computers to get repaired or upgraded. Only in the last couple of years have we gotten a Carbon Computing (the best Mac computer store franchise in Canada) and only just this year have we gotten an actual Apple Store. If you want to sell computers in a country you need a presence in that country, other than online.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

/yawn

shhhhh! do we really want that?
  • Reply 34 of 62
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Quoting from the IDC report @ http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prCA21972809:

* For the first time, Apple broke into double-digit market share with a 10.0% take of the overall PC client market. This was supported by very strong growth in portables, with Apple growing 24.8% YoY.

* For the second consecutive quarter, Acer took the top share in portables with 21.4% of the market. Acer's performance comes from the strength of their Mini Notebook offerings, which the vendor currently dominates with a 57.5% market share. Unit shipments into the SMB space have recovered strongly from a very weak 1Q09, growing 23.6% year over year compared to a 3.7% pullback in the first quarter. Of special note, consumer portables enjoyed a double digit year-over-year growth for the 24th consecutive quarter.

Two numbers to emphasize from the report:

- Apple had a 10% market share in Canada for the second quarter of 2009;

- Acer had a 21.4% market share in portables for the second quarter of 2009, mostly because it sold 57.5% of the netbooks for the quarter in Canada.

A 10% market share is nothing to sneeze at, but there is not much to brag about either. Market leaders HP and Dell have both more than 20% of the market each. What these numbers indicate is how wrong Apple is in not making any desktop computer with a quad-core desktop CPU, nor any netbook. You can't sell the computers Apple won't make.

• Reply 35 of 62
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

But in seriousness, it is odd to see Canada with a higher % of mac users, considering our overall culture is very similar (and, probably, our overall wealth lower)

I think you have to gauge things based upon regions. I live in Vancouver, and I wouldn't be shocked if the 'couv doesn't tip the scales a little. I see more Macs than PCs at coffee shops, and My current employer is the first architecture firm I have come across using Macs, and the more I talk to people the more common I find Mac offices in the city. In the States it was all AutoCAD and XP, but here its all Vectorworks on Mac.

I don't know the sociology behind this, but I can happily attest that 10% market is more than met.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

A 10% market share is nothing to sneeze at, but there is not much to brag about either. Market leaders HP and Dell have both more than 20% of the market each. What these numbers indicate is how wrong Apple is in not making any desktop computer with a quad-core desktop CPU, nor any netbook. You can't sell the computers Apple won't make.

Market share is not the point. Growth is the name of the game. I would suggest you look again at Apple's unit growth compared to the rest of the PC market's decline in Canada (which is similar to the pattern in the US over the past few years). Market share doesn't mean poop when it's in decline. It also doesn't make much sense to compare Apple's market share against any given Windows PC maker. Compare Apple's growth against the Windows PC market as a whole, if you want the real story.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    kerrynkerryn Posts: 87member
    What would be really interesting would be market share based on revenue. Of course getting that would be a lot harder as you would need to know the wholesale price of all the computers sold, but given how many units are cheaper netbooks and bargain basement no frill machines in the PC sector, I would guess that on pure revenue, Apple is a lot higher than 10%.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Nice to see we're doing well.

Well, relatively.

Wireless access in our igloos FTW.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Two numbers to emphasize from the report:

- Apple had a 10% market share in Canada for the second quarter of 2009;

- Acer had a 21.4% market share in portables for the second quarter of 2009, mostly because it sold 57.5% of the netbooks for the quarter in Canada.

You seem to be under some misguided perception that market share is the ultimate measure of success. Apple makes more profit on the sale of one of its computers than Acer generates in revenue on the sale of one of its netbooks. There are a lot of ways Apple could increase market share, but they only focus on the market share that is actually worth obtaining. Given the products they do sell, 10% is quite good.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You seem to be under some misguided perception that market share is the ultimate measure of success. Apple makes more profit on the sale of one of its computers than Acer generates in revenue on the sale of one of its netbooks. There are a lot of ways Apple could increase market share, but they only focus on the market share that is actually worth obtaining. Given the products they do sell, 10% is quite good.

I cannot believe the comments. It is only 10%! Apple is not choosing to only focus on the market and have 10% If they could they would take as much as they could. They will never beat windows. They will never be dominant. They are forced on this focus because it is all they have left after trying to challenge MS for so many years. They found a niche where they could maintain the company and a product.