Briefly: Apple lobbies government, Fifth Ave. store sales booming

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

MS should open its store up in the zoo across the street where it belongs.

LOL! Just keep MS away from the Snow Leopards in there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Microsoft is a completely different kind of company. The ways Microsoft makes its money, do not require stores. In fact they try to stay out of the public spotlight.

Then why is Microsoft copying Apple and opening up their own store to compete with Apple? They will never have the same cachet as Apple's stores because MS doesn't selling computers.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

The article fails to mention that the location of that store has a lot to do with its success as well as the iPhone. The GM Building where it is located is the Premier Class A building of NYC with the best location in all of Manhattan. SJ could not have made a better choice.

It is surrounded by Bergdorf Goodman, FAO Shwarz, the Plaza Hotel, the Pierre Hotel,and Central Park.

Also the cube itself is iconic in its own right. Tourists flock just to see "the cube".

MS should open its store up in the zoo across the street where it belongs.

You forget to mention: that location made no money before Apple showed up. It was extremely poorly laid out with steps (which ate up most of the square footage) leading to below grade shops which no one ever bother to go to. I have to assume Apple got the place for a song.

Typical of Apple, great design created an amazing retail environment. I don't think though that anyone else could have pulled off such a successful underground store.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I have to assume Apple got the place for a song.

Perhaps we should qualify that with, ?...relatively speaking for that area."
  • Reply 44 of 54
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, Tim, instead of asking for government handouts (which is, after all, our $$!), how about giving the schools and back-to-school parents a REALLY major one-time price break (instead of just an iPod Touch)?

The gov't has to address the fact that rich districts have 1 to 1.8 computers per child

while poor districts may have one computer for 12 kids

by the 10th gradewhich group is way ahead ?

So obama should get more computers to all kids and any kind of p/c will do .

Its not a handout since we pay tons of taxes and most gets spent on bombs and killing muslims

instead we should spend our money on hardware for children . At least we can buy some maps so usa kids can find england on a world map.

Handout is a stupid turn of phrase meant to slant the talk . good try

• Reply 45 of 54
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

5th Avenue means nothing in itself. 5th Avenue runs for miles. Have you ever been to NYC?

5th Ave at the Empire State Building location does not carry the same clout- nor does 5th Ave near the Public Library. Madison Avenue is the real shopping street anyway. This particular location is at the crossroads of business, tourism, and ultra high income residential- completely unique.

I was the accountant for that building- it has always had one of the highest cost per square foot rates in NYC. It is 50 floors high and a block by a full city block long. Its finish is marble not concrete. It always has had an amazing presence in NYC ever since it was built in the sixties. Apple sits where, amongst other stores, Vidal Sasson once had his hair salon back in the mod sixties and seventies.

Yeah but 5th Ave. is not referred to simply "in itself" here. When an 5th Ave location is sited as a descriptive component of a retail location it is understood to imply high-end retail (just like the candy bar or Saks). It is usually not used as a conjunction with some fruit stand on 5th and 22nd.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Camera Guy View Post

Why would you ever go to a store that you can't get in the door when the products are available everywhere including online. Once you have seen a mac you have seen them all. Wow Apple people are just a bunch of lemmings.

Wow. Great first post.

No, really; brilliant.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow, and all this time, I thought K Street was a rampant Mafia den!

Well you're both right... cept instead of calling them Dons, Underbosses and Consigliere's we give them tiles like Senator, Congressman or Judge!
  • Reply 48 of 54
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

You forget to mention: that location made no money before Apple showed up. It was extremely poorly laid out with steps (which ate up most of the square footage) leading to below grade shops which no one ever bother to go to. I have to assume Apple got the place for a song.

Typical of Apple, great design created an amazing retail environment. I don't think though that anyone else could have pulled off such a successful underground store.

Not true. Most of sq ft of that location was not even rentable for years- it was a sunken plaza.. The space and steps were sealed off long before Apple moved in by Donald Trump when he purchased the building and completely redesigned the plaza. The 5th Ave association was very upset by this along with his adding his name to the building sign. Thank god Trump sold it- god only knows if he would have OK'd the cube.

That location has always been a draw. However, Sj and Apple had the vision on what to do with the space by topping it off with the cube- which SJ owns. I extremely doubt that Apple is paying low rent at that location when the tenants pay the highest cost per sq ft in NYC.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yeah but 5th Ave. is not referred to simply "in itself" here. When an 5th Ave location is sited as a descriptive component of a retail location it is understood to imply high-end retail (just like the candy bar or Saks). It is usually not used as a conjunction with some fruit stand on 5th and 22nd.

You're not getting it- this location is the best possible location in NYC- bar none. I've worked in real estate here for over 25 years. Saks Fifth Avenue's location is not even as good and that's across the street from Rockefeller Center. It's all about the 5th Avenue address of this paricular location.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Who would have thought that an excellent location and desirable products would help a retail company sell their wares? Talk about pointing out the obvious. I bet you were one of the people that were saying Apple is foolish for opening up such expensive retail stores at all, much less in such high rent areas, when companies like Gateway had already failed at it.

Not at all- facts are facts. It's not that obvious-if sales numbers like that were reported at another location on 6th Avenue - now that would be truly amazing. It's not even that great of a store inside. Soho NY has a much better layout. The loocation really does add to the story. I'm not trying to downplay Apple's products at all- just whoever steared Apple to that location deserves a lot of credit.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    I guess I don't really understand what Lobbying is, and particularly, what it's net effect really is?

Does the $340,000 just represent people's salaries standing in a picket line ... or, as I guess, is it really a wining and dining of the politicians?

It's legal, but it seems a bit shady. I guess that's the American Mindset.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Wow. Great first post.

No, really; brilliant.

Seems the lemming is also following mac. (Why the H.E. double hockey sticks is he even here??)
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Quote:

You're not getting it- this location is the best possible location in NYC- bar none.

I thought that was the intersection of 57th/Fifth, sometimes referred to as the center of the Universe.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    $40,000 an hour in sales. They must have trucks backed up to that store 'round the clock unloading merchandise