Apple drops Palm OS HotSync conduit from Snow Leopard

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

iCal is crap.

No version of iCal supports authenticated proxy servers.

CALDAV breaks.

Subscribed calendars break.

and now... Exchange ActiveSync breaks.

And it's supposed to be used in a workplace...

Even funnier is the Bug Reports in Snow Leopard still don't work behind one either. (They never have - so Apple is oblivious to crashes caused by authenticated proxy servers.)

Hilarious

Palm sync won't be missed, and Missing Sync is much better anyway... But this comment is spot on. The whole iSync thing is moot anyway, cause it doesn't work. Try it in a Corp. environment. Try syncing Exchange (Entourage) with iCal - it freakin' breaks all the time, and ends up duplicating events when syncing with a hand held. And you can't report any crashes back to Apple since they STILL haven't figured out how to operate behind a proxy server! Same problem with OS, application, & browser crashes. Grow up Apple. Corporate support is really not that hard. Run crash reporter w/authentication (which you already have in the network stack) over port 80.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

It's great if you like losing contacts and having all this junk inserted into your address book continually. I am still cleaning out "E-mail" whenever I find it. You better have some damn desperate reason to keep on Palm classic because that crap is well crap at this point. I mean, yes innovative - in 1995. Not much since then.

I do wish my Tapwave Zodiac did phone functions, I might still be using it. iPhone is nice, but when every page flip or other operation requires a one second time-based transition, it gets very old. My 2004 Zodiac simply snaps to the next operation, no transition lag built-in.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Hi user 'mrr' in Post #15:

Have you had a look at BusyCal? Its developed by the same people who make BusySync:

http://www.busymac.com/

BusyCal is currently in Public Beta - and so free to try. When it leaves beta it will cost $40 per user.

Shared calendars can be viewed and edited by multiple users and changes are instantly synchronized between users (ie, copies of BusyCal).

Why iCal cannot do this is unclear. A family calendar (as opposed to personal calendars) seems to me to be Apple's target market for MobileMe, though a secondary target given that a personal calendar would be the primary target.

rock on!

peter

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post

I actually like the Palm Desktop Calender

(which was based on Apple's Claris Organizer from over a decade ago)

_BETTER_ than Apple's iCal !

It had many more features and options. It had MUCH better and faster data entry and was better at creating reoccurring events and events spanning multiple dates. Had MANY more print options.

Apple has not done a whole lot of development with iCal in recent years. Pretty stagnant.

Maybe this is their time for them to get to work.

• Reply 44 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

I'm on 10.4.11, Treo 700p & Palm Desktop.

read your sig, 10.6 won't run on a powerbook, has to be Intel.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The only people they're smacking down are their customers. Looks like I won't be upgrading to Snow Leopard any time soon and I might have to rethink my iPhone plans when my contract upgrade comes in december. Very Jobs like to take it out on the users. [...] That depends if Palm support was the only thing they took out or not. Either way its going to make life very difficult for Mac users with palm devices.

Overreact, much? The Missing Sync program for Palm OS is much better than Palm's old archaic offering, effective enough to service in place of iSync, and only $40. It is a good thing for ancient rubbish to be dropped from the OS. It lets them devote more effort to adding new features, and less effort to debugging old ones. Your iPhone would effectively replace your Palm OS device anyway, so I'm not sure why that would be an issue (as would most modern-day smartphone) and, frankly, if $40 is such a huge financial hit to you anyway, and you're using so much outdated technology, you're probably rarely buying new gadgets anyway. It might make more sense for you to stay a bit behind the curb out of convenience.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The only people they're smacking down are their customers. Looks like I won't be upgrading to Snow Leopard any time soon and I might have to rethink my iPhone plans when my contract upgrade comes in december.

Let me get this straight - your ticked that Apple is dropping support for a product that it's parent company doesn't even support any more, and that same company (Palm) is trying to leech off of Apple without developing their own conduit for their own device (Pre)

And your going to "punish" Apple for that?

Wow, I thought the rabid fanbois for other companies were capable of extraordinary leaps of logic - but apparently they have nothing on Palm fanbois....
  • Reply 47 of 50
    I wish iSync was a bit more useful. It should really be more of a general purpose syncing tool including various cloud syncing for contacts, calendars, etc and support for file syncing to different types of storage. So for example if you insert an SD card with the volume of Pictures it knows to import to iPhoto. if you insert an SD card with the volume of Music it could sync either an iTunes playlist or simply a folder. Of course you could set your own rules too. This would be a useful app. iSync is just a boring left over but it's got a snappy name. It should be made into something useful.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

What scares me is that Missing Sync doesn't have any phone support, not even pre-sales, to help me with this!

How about Data Pilot?

http://www.datapilot.com/

I used them for years and had no problem moving my stuff over.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

read your sig, 10.6 won't run on a powerbook, has to be Intel.

Obviously...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

How about Data Pilot?

http://www.datapilot.com/

I used them for years and had no problem moving my stuff over.

Looked at that site, doesn't look as impressive as Missing Sync Echo System:

http://www.markspace.com/iphone/mac/

I am looking for a solution for transferring my Treo Memos/Notes into some useable and open form, "future-proofing" them. Thus far Missing Sync seems to be pretty much the only candidate! I just don't want to get stuck in their PROPRIETARY Format(?) = a trap! But, as long as it's Tab Delimited, CSV etc Exportable Format, then I should be OK, right?

Wish I could borrow a spare MBP with SNOW LEOPARD on it + iPhone... Then I could install a few demos on that machine, and do a dress rehearsal... Then Secure Delete my Data... I know that it's harder to pull that off than it sounds...

Meanwhile, the signature below is my present set up, and Snow Leopard won't run on it:
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Why would they update it?

The have nothing to do with that OS. The last time they licensed it for use in one of their handhelds was 2007. They had a fling with Windows Mobile. Now they are completely focussed on Web OS.

Palm Desktop doesn't work with Windows Mobile and doesn't make sense with Web OS. So it is useless for their handsets released in the last two years.

I completely agree. It should be noted Palm has a history of dumping its users and leaving them behind. I bought a LifeDrive within a year of it being introduced and in another year it was orphaned.