Apple to retain, redesign plastic MacBook family

Comments

• Reply 101 of 125
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

1. If your aim is Keynote and Powerpoint presentations - wait until an app is available for the iPhone/iPod Touch; in the meantime, turn all of your slides into photos, create an album and run a manually advanced slideshow. Video out is already on today's iPhones and iPod Touches.

Very good point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

2. The MacBook Air is not "too heavy" by any stretch of the imagination.

I disagree. The emphasis on the MacBook Air design was on the appearance of thin more than on actually thin and not at all on small or lightweight. I would much prefer a MacBook Air that was smaller and lighter -- if not quite so thin looking. A lot of weight and bulk was added to achieve the very thin tapered edges.
  • Reply 102 of 125
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I disagree. The emphasis on the MacBook Air design was on the appearance of thin more than on actually thin and not at all on small or lightweight. I would much prefer a MacBook Air that was smaller and lighter -- if not quite so thin looking. A lot of weight and bulk was added to achieve the very thin tapered edges.

A lot of weight to make the tapered edges? I doubt the taper adds much weight, maybe a couple ounces, thin aluminum doesn't weigh much. Besides, the way the edges curve, it might have allowed the shell to be made thinner.
  • Reply 103 of 125
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A lot of weight to make the tapered edges? I doubt the taper adds much weight, maybe a couple ounces, thin aluminum doesn't weigh much.

A couple of ounces is 5-10%. I would have preferred my MacBook Air to be a couple of ounces lighter, a couple of centimeters smaller across the diagonal, and of uniform 15-19 millimeter thickness, rather than the aesthetically gorgeous tapered design.

Anyway, the real killer for me that required me to trade my MacBook Air for a unibody MacBook was the need for 4GB of ram. I despise having to lug around an optical drive which belongs in the 20th century. I've never, ever used the damned optical drive and would have been happy to connect the external optical drive which I bought for the MacBook Air (and have never, ever used) to install Snow Leopard.

As soon as Apple offer a laptop with 4GB and no optical drive, I'm buying one regardless of other specs.
  • Reply 104 of 125
    Quote:

A couple of ounces is 5-10%. I would have preferred my MacBook Air to be a couple of ounces lighter, a couple of centimeters smaller across the diagonal, and of uniform 15-19 millimeter thickness, rather than the aesthetically gorgeous tapered design.

Anyway, the real killer for me that required me to trade my MacBook Air for a unibody MacBook was the need for 4GB of ram. I despise having to lug around an optical drive which belongs in the 20th century. I've never, ever used the damned optical drive and would have been happy to connect the external optical drive which I bought for the MacBook Air (and have never, ever used) to install Snow Leopard.

As soon as Apple offer a laptop with 4GB and no optical drive, I'm buying one regardless of other specs.

Making a couple ounces into "a lot of weight" stretches the credibility. While the taper seems not so ideal, making such a big fuss about the little bit of weight and size it is on the absurd side.
  • Reply 105 of 125
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Wow, so they make the MacBook Air plastic and even smaller and the price is cut in two? Funny that. You're sort of not thinking that one through.

I think he has thought it through and $700 to $800 bucks is just about right. Especially if you consider what you get in AIR. Apple should be able to put together a functional machine, actually more functional, in that price range. If they could get Intel to change their marketing restrictions on ATOM they could go even lower. In a real sense the tech is already there just that companies are not free to use it.

I bring up ATOM because of it's current low power profile but intel has other low power chips coming that would do the job very well when the price comes down. There are a lot of ways to a quality $700 laptop, the problem isn't with Apple but rather Intel.

Dave
  • Reply 106 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The snow white Mac's sell well because of their clean, smooth, white porcelain looks. Women and kids love them.

I think it's hilarious that you and others think White is somehow a color for girls and kids. I guess all those rappers that drive around in white SUVs are just a bunch of girly men. If you wear white underwear, do you buy them at Victoria's Secret? Are any of the walls in your house painted white?

White, like Black, is a completely neutral color. Assigning a gender to those colors is laughable.
  • Reply 107 of 125
    Is it possible for the white MacBook to use a platic white unibody?

Should be easier to make than the aluminium, would look good, but would it be strong?
  • Reply 108 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I think it's hilarious that you and others think White is somehow a color for girls and kids. I guess all those rappers that drive around in white SUVs are just a bunch of girly men. If you wear white underwear, do you buy them at Victoria's Secret? Are any of the walls in your house painted white?

White, like Black, is a completely neutral color. Assigning a gender to those colors is laughable.

Same here. I don't see any gender problems with choosing black or white.
  • Reply 109 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timbledum View Post

I need one! Now!

Why does everyone want multi-colored Apple stuff? It makes it look extremely cheap like those China toys. See, now only the iPod Nano is available on many colors. What about the rest?
  • Reply 110 of 125
    Thought about the "tablet" design and how it might be sold again today... if anything, I think it might, MIGHT be possible they extend the iPod touch line to include larger versions... one optimized for magazine/newspaper/textbook-format reading, one slightly smaller for video (which would be somewhere between the current size and the larger format)... could breathe entirely new life into the whole iPod lineup. The would eliminate the re-branding issue (iTablet? yecchhh!) and extend the line to fill the gaps being created by Kindle and the like.

So, there could be a re-segmenting of product, thusly...

-iPod touch reader (for example)

-iPod touch video (for example)

-iPod touch

-Pod classic

-iPod nano

-iPod shuffle
  • Reply 111 of 125
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Thought about the "tablet" design and how it might be sold again today... if anything, I think it might, MIGHT be possible they extend the iPod touch line to include larger versions... one optimized for magazine/newspaper/textbook-format reading, one slightly smaller for video (which would be somewhere between the current size and the larger format)... could breathe entirely new life into the whole iPod lineup. The would eliminate the re-branding issue (iTablet? yecchhh!) and extend the line to fill the gaps being created by Kindle and the like.

So, there could be a re-segmenting of product, thusly...

-iPod touch reader (for example)

-iPod touch video (for example)

-iPod touch

-Pod classic

-iPod shuffle

No... (5 chars)
  • Reply 112 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No... (5 chars)

Who are twitboy and twitgirl? ... is this a Twitter-based story series?
  • Reply 113 of 125
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Who are twitboy and twitgirl? ... is this a Twitter-based story series?

I was wondering if someone would spot that. If it was a twitter based story series that would have been very funny lol. Actually they are two twitter services I just launched (both dot COMs) with matching twitter accounts. I once had this idea, bla bla bla...
  • Reply 114 of 125
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Actually, that weight ("a lot?" seriously?) was added to make the shell rigid and flex-proof. If you take away the tapers, you have a much less robust case--unless you add even more weight back on to reinforce it.

The looks are just icing on the cake.
  • Reply 115 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

My talk of NVIDIA was not in reference to their 9400m GPUs, which are integrated with the motherboard and do not produce excessive heat. It was in reference to their GTS 150 card, which is not integrated, large, and requires much more heat dissipation capabilities. Even more so with an ATI 4850. I haven't been able to find a tear down of a high-end 24" iMac that sports either one of these to see how Apple fits the suckers in there (plus a heat sink and fan, mind you), hence my curiosity.

If you look at iFixIt's 20" teardown, you can see a small gap right above the CPU heatsink. The older iMacs (ATI Radeon HD 2000 series) had a second heatsink there, which connected to a small sub-board which contained the GPU, attaching to a small peripheral slot (similar to a RAM slot) on the underside of the board. The discrete cards in the 24" iMac use a very similar graphics sub-card, while the 9400M is simply grafted to the logic board itself. When that second heatsink is installed with the GPU, it sits in-line with the CPU heatsink, allowing the CPU fan to dissipate both at once.

Here's a picture of the GT130 used in the iMac 24" (click for larger image):

I work at an Apple Authorized Service Provider, in case you're wondering how I know this.
  • Reply 116 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

If you look at iFixIt's 20" teardown, you can see a small gap right above the CPU heatsink. The older iMacs (ATI Radeon HD 2000 series) had a second heatsink there, which connected to a small sub-board which contained the GPU, attaching to a small peripheral slot (similar to a RAM slot) on the underside of the board. The discrete cards in the 24" iMac use a very similar graphics sub-card, while the 9400M is simply grafted to the logic board itself. When that second heatsink is installed with the GPU, it sits in-line with the CPU heatsink, allowing the CPU fan to dissipate both at once.

Here's a picture of the GT130 used in the iMac 24" (click for larger image):

I work at an Apple Authorized Service Provider, in case you're wondering how I know this.

That's called a MXM card, by the way, and there are several standard sizes.
  • Reply 117 of 125
    I hope Apple doesn't go back to plastic notebooks. The aluminum unibody notebooks are fine. Apple <> Dell.
  • Reply 118 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

That's called a MXM card, by the way, and there are several standard sizes.

Ahh, that I was not aware of. I've only really worked on Apple hardware, and they don't label it as such.
  • Reply 119 of 125
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

Actually, that weight ("a lot?" seriously?) was added to make the shell rigid and flex-proof. If you take away the tapers, you have a much less robust case--unless you add even more weight back on to reinforce it.

The looks are just icing on the cake.

A tapered case shell does not add weight, rather it reduces it. Just think about the extra material a squared off shell requires.

Buy the way I'm not bothered by the idea of a plastic case, provided it is well designed and of quality resins. It is very possible to make a rugged plastic case, but not cheap.

Dave
  • Reply 120 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Ahh, that I was not aware of. I've only really worked on Apple hardware, and they don't label it as such.

Yeah, it can be irritating, Apple rarely uses the same terminology as the rest of the computer industry. I don't know how common MXM is these days either. It's supposed to be a notebook type graphics card format, and I really don't get into high end notebooks enough to know if it is commonly used.