Apple's iPod classic may also gain camera, report claims

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
While the iPod touch and iPod nano are widely expected to receive a camera upgrade in September, a report suggests that a new version of the aging hard-drive-based iPod classic could also snap pictures.



Citing industry sources, Taiwanese rumor site DigiTimes has reported that OmniVision will become the sole supplier of 3.2 megapixel CMOS image sensors for the upcoming line of iPod upgrades. The report singles out the iPod touch, iPod nano and iPod classic as camera-toting devices that will debut next month.



Omnivision is also one supplier of the 3.2 megapixel cameras for the iPhone 3GS. The report states that the CIS maker, with the addition of the iPod lineup, is expected to ship 18 million devices to Apple per quarter.



Whether the rumor proves true or not, any potential upgrades to the iPod classic this fall would likely be the last for Apple's sole remaining hard-drive-based media player. Flash memory has become less expensive and more reliable in recent years, and is now the standard on the remainder of Apple's iPod lineup.



Apple is expected to announce its new iPod product line at a media-centric event on Sept. 9. That event is likely to feature iPods with cameras, as well as the possible introduction of iTunes 9, rumored to have social networking features
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 73
    When the new iPods are announced on 9/9, when will they actually go on sale in stores?







    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    While the iPod touch and iPod nano are widely expected to receive a camera upgrade in September, a report suggests that a new version of the aging hard-drive-based iPod classic could also snap pictures.



    Citing industry sources, Taiwanese rumor site DigiTimes has reported that OmniVision will become the sole supplier of 3.2 megapixel CMOS image sensors for the upcoming line of iPod upgrades. The report singles out the iPod touch, iPod nano and iPod classic as camera-toting devices that will debut next month.



    Omnivision is also one supplier of the 3.2 megapixel cameras for the iPhone 3GS. The report states that the CIS maker, with the addition of the iPod lineup, is expected to ship 18 million devices to Apple per quarter.



    Whether the rumor proves true or not, any potential upgrades to the iPod classic this fall would likely be the last for Apple's sole remaining hard-drive-based media player. Flash memory has become less expensive and more reliable in recent years, and is now the standard on the remainder of Apple's iPod lineup.



    Apple is expected to announce its new iPod product line at a media-centric event on Sept. 9. That event is likely to feature iPods with cameras, as well as the possible introduction of iTunes 9, rumored to have social networking features



  • Reply 2 of 73
    Now this is taken too far...



    Why would anyone buy an ipod classic?



    Just because it has a larger memory?



    I bet iPods will get larger flash memory which is very near to the Classic's hard disk capacity.



    With the touch screen and app store, even the Touch without camera beats Classic (with camera) any day.



    Classic is analogous to the White MacBook.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I haven't seen mentioned- since these iPods aren't phones may one hopefully sport a zoom or a flash?
  • Reply 4 of 73
    popspops Posts: 15member
    I still hope they are going to put GPS in the iPod touch, then I won't need to buy a t-mobile plan...
  • Reply 5 of 73
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 252member
    I don't need a camera in an iPod Classic, just bigger hard drives. Still using my older 160 GB.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    tac22tac22 Posts: 20member
    I thought i there was a rumors back befor the 3gs came out that they bought a bunch of 3.2 and 5.0 mega pixel cameras, so when the 3gs came out i thought the ipods were going to get a 5.0 Mp camera... i guess thats not gonna happen, won't be replacing my camera like i hoped eaither, 5.0 is good enough but 3.2 isn't i already have that on my phone.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post


    Classic is analogous to the White MacBook.



    Not entirely true. It's been said on this site (I believe) and on others, that the most popular Mac notebook is the white plastic macbook. Whereas on the iPod side, the Nano or possibly the Touch is the most popular iPod.



    w00master
  • Reply 8 of 73
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    ? this is very unlikely! The classic is doomed.



    I can't see a camera on a nano either ? it's too small.



    However, the iPod touch will transform in a great camera. Introducing different models: from high capacity touches with high end compact lenses to low capacity touches with low end compact lenses.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post


    Now this is taken too far...



    Why would anyone buy an ipod classic?



    Just because it has a larger memory?



    I bet iPods will get larger flash memory which is very near to the Classic's hard disk capacity.



    With the touch screen and app store, even the Touch without camera beats Classic (with camera) any day.



    Classic is analogous to the White MacBook.



    Some of us actually listen to music on our iPods, and don't play games on it. And we actually have quite a big music collection, since we like music, and don't just listen to Britneys newest album over and over again.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,912member
    I'm wondering if Classic has become a device for professional use. Are consummers really buying this platform?



    I also have to wonder about Apple going SSD on this machine. Seems like they ought to be able to drop in a SSD module fairly easy. The advantages are there from lower power to the use of advance wear leveling. That is of course if they keep Classic around at all. It doesn't seem to make much sense in the face of 64 & 128 GB Touch iPods.



    I don't have a Classic or anything but my iPhone right now so I have a hard time grasping Classics draw. That is beyound high capacity. High capacity though is something from the past if you ask me. Apple should be able to exceed 64 GB in the Touch if it really wants to.





    Dave
  • Reply 11 of 73
    mpantonempantone Posts: 1,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by updeau22 View Post


    When the new iPods are announced on 9/9, when will they actually go on sale in stores?



    Most people are expecting them to be available on 9/9.



    Apple has always sold new iPods on the announcement day. Sometimes a specific model is a little late (e.g., the highest capacity model), but for their consumer lines, Apple ships the day of.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    I have a 60 Gb Classic, and would like a 128 GB version. I have sworn not to upgrade again, untill I can get a 128 Gb iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    mpantonempantone Posts: 1,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    I'm wondering if Classic has become a device for professional use. Are consummers really buying this platform?



    I also have to wonder about Apple going SSD on this machine. Seems like they ought to be able to drop in a SSD module fairly easy. The advantages are there from lower power to the use of advance wear leveling. That is of course if they keep Classic around at all. It doesn't seem to make much sense in the face of 64 & 128 GB Touch iPods.



    I don't have a Classic or anything but my iPhone right now so I have a hard time grasping Classics draw. That is beyound high capacity. High capacity though is something from the past if you ask me. Apple should be able to exceed 64 GB in the Touch if it really wants to.





    Dave



    There is no technological reason why Apple can't drop in flash memory into the iPod classic. The problem is the price of the memory combined with the ongoing development and support costs for keeping around a dying platform. Apple likes to kill off legacy hardware pretty quickly.



    It is unlikely that we will see a 128GB iPod touch this time around. The current high-end model is 32GB, so the next one should be 64GB. The cost of 128MB of flash memory is a little too much for Apple to retain its margins (or would make the device way too pricey).
  • Reply 14 of 73
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    The classic is beyond its time and should be phased out.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    mpantonempantone Posts: 1,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post


    I have a 60 Gb Classic, and would like a 128 GB version. I have sworn not to upgrade again, untill I can get a 128 Gb iPhone.



    Since the iPhone maxes out at 32GB right now, you probably have two more years to go (64GB in 2010, 128GB in 2011).
  • Reply 16 of 73
    mpantonempantone Posts: 1,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post


    ? this is very unlikely! The classic is doomed.



    I can't see a camera on a nano either ? it's too small.



    However, the iPod touch will transform in a great camera. Introducing different models: from high capacity touches with high end compact lenses to low capacity touches with low end compact lenses.



    It is unlikely that Apple would change the camera part simply for low-capacity iPod touches. The camera part isn't that expensive and Apple typically does not reduce the feature set on lower-capacity models within the iPod product line.



    I will point out yet again that more megapixels do not necessarily equate to a "better" camera. The reason is because video limits your shutter speed to approximate 1/60 sec. Low-light performance is far more crucial than squeezing out 1-2 megapixels of extra resolution.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    takeotakeo Posts: 418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post


    Why would anyone buy an ipod classic?



    Just because it has a larger memory?



    Bingo
  • Reply 18 of 73
    mpantonempantone Posts: 1,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tac22 View Post


    I thought i there was a rumors back befor the 3gs came out that they bought a bunch of 3.2 and 5.0 mega pixel cameras, so when the 3gs came out i thought the ipods were going to get a 5.0 Mp camera... i guess thats not gonna happen, won't be replacing my camera like i hoped eaither, 5.0 is good enough but 3.2 isn't i already have that on my phone.



    Yet again I will point out that more megapixels do not necessarily equate to a "better" camera. The reason is because video limits your shutter speed to approximate 1/60 sec. Low-light performance is far more crucial than squeezing out 1-2 megapixels of extra resolution. The more elements (for higher resolution) you pack into a sensor, the less light sensitivity you get (plus more noise).



    That's basically why DSLRs are so expensive: the sensors (especially the full-frame ones) are very pricey. P&S and cameraphone sensors are puny and very inexpensive.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post


    Now this is taken too far...



    Why would anyone buy an ipod classic?



    Just because it has a larger memory?



    I bet iPods will get larger flash memory which is very near to the Classic's hard disk capacity.



    With the touch screen and app store, even the Touch without camera beats Classic (with camera) any day.



    Classic is analogous to the White MacBook.



    Are you joking? Or simply clueless?



    LOTS of people are waiting for a new iPod classic and HAVE been for two years. Last Year was a horrible downgrade, with the loss of FOURTY GIGS of storage to the 120 classic.



    I know several people with 160 gig classics that are waiting and expecting a larger capacity device. 160 gigs (let alone 120!!!) is ridiculously too small to be the largest of iPod lineup. With the prices on storage now we should be seeing a 200+ gig iPod, or even a 300+ gig iPod to keep the real media hounds happy.



    Just because you don't need this doesn't mean its unnecessary. Millions of musicians and DJ's need the largest iPod available.



    My closest friend is simply a media hound, and he is staring at the 12 free gigs on his iPod classic, hoping something bigger is on the horizon.



    Of course, no one would be opposed to a 256 gig flash classic..
  • Reply 20 of 73
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post


    Now this is taken too far...



    Why would anyone buy an ipod classic?



    Just because it has a larger memory?



    The storage, and the tactile controls. Bringing your whole iTunes library with you is a godsend, especially on road trips and vacations. If anything, Apple should be pushing that feature MORE, not taking it away. As it is, even 160GB isn't big enough for me anymore, I want a 240GB model.



    Quote:

    I bet iPods will get larger flash memory which is very near to the Classic's hard disk capacity.



    If the Nano's capacity exceeded 160GB, that would be a suitable replacement. There's nothing about the hard drive itself that's necessary.



    Quote:

    With the touch screen and app store, even the Touch without camera beats Classic (with camera) any day.



    Absolutely not. I have both a 160GB Classic, and a Touch (a shuffle too), and I never use the Touch at all anymore. The Classic is the workhorse. The touch screen is cool for all of about five minutes, then it's nothing but annoying. Especially when you're on the go all the time, tactile controls on the device are a critical feature. Touchscreen SUCKS if you're using the iPod when moving around, exercising, etc.



    If/when my Classic gets lost/broken/stolen (again), I'll seriously pissed-off if all that Apple has in their lineup is low capacity touchscreen crap.
Sign In or Register to comment.