Psystar sues Apple for Snow Leopard; "exploding" iPhones

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 192
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Now you are their personal workload consultant / mom figure? That's all you can say? They are running a business and just asking for their right to exist. It's not my job to decide whether they have this right or not. But I have often thought about it. I am glad they are going through the effort to push the matter. And I am an AAPL shareholder and >20 year Mac user. Apple is starting to get too big for their britches. They think they have sideways influence outside of their product sales agreements. This is an intrusion on the privacy of individuals / companies that purchase the Mac OS, in my view. I give Apple all their due credit, but not more.

Wow. Now I know what Steely Dan were thinking when they wrote Pretzel Logic. What a finely tuned mess of thought.
  • Reply 182 of 192
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Now you are their personal workload consultant / mom figure? That's all you can say? They are running a business and just asking for their right to exist. It's not my job to decide whether they have this right or not. But I have often thought about it. I am glad they are going through the effort to push the matter. And I am an AAPL shareholder and >20 year Mac user. Apple is starting to get too big for their britches. They think they have sideways influence outside of their product sales agreements. This is an intrusion on the privacy of individuals / companies that purchase the Mac OS, in my view. I give Apple all their due credit, but not more.

Stream of (un)consciousness!
  • Reply 183 of 192
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

So far the first sale doctrine has held up with music CDs, DVD movies and game console games. Those too are licensed software. The only difference being that, unlike most computer software, they don't have to be copied on to a device in order for the buyer to use it.

Unless specificly stated in the EULA, you are allowed to sell your used original computer software disc. Providing certain conditions are met. And it's questionable as to whether the EULA can prevent you from doing so. As the EULA can not take away (or limit) any rights you have under Copyright Laws.

You can sell your original computer software. You cannot keep a copy of it on hard drive or any type of backup.

Psystar installs a copy of Mac OS X on the computers that they build. The sale of the computer also includes an install cd of Mac OS X. The copy on the hard drive is is a COPY and is therefore copyright infringement right there. The end user receives 2 copies.

Psystar would have been smarter to sell computers , and instructions on how to install Mac OS X. No copyright infringement there.
  • Reply 184 of 192
    I'm going to set up a company that makes cheap hardware and installs operating systems including those running on the XBOX 360, PS3, PSP, Wii, DS and Web OS, Blackberry OS and anything else I can get my hands.

How does that sound?

Apple does not license Mac OS X to any company, identical to every operating system mentioned above. No consumer is confused by this. The operating system is called "Mac OS X" indicating that it runs on Mac systems; Macbooks, iMacs, Mac Minis, and Mac Pros.
  • Reply 185 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Psystar would have been smarter to sell computers , and instructions on how to install Mac OS X. No copyright infringement there.

Maybe, maybe not. If the install is restricted technically by any means, and the company is providing instructions on how to defeat the restrictions, then a DMCA violation seems at least arguable. It would also depend on how the computer was marketed. If they are telling customers they are buying a Mac, even with a wink and a nod, then the DIY fig leaf is probably not enough.
  • Reply 186 of 192
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There are phones marketed specifically towards the elderly. If he's a member of the AARP, check whatever magazines he gets from them. Maybe in Reader's Digest? I'm trying to recall whatever my grandparents read. I think those are better fits than smart phones, even the iPhone has tiny text and small buttons, the main exception being the one screen used to dial.

I put in "big button cell phone" into Google and found this:

http://www.jitterbug.com/Phones/

I can't tell if it's GSM, is there a particular reason for GSM? If he has hearing aids, something not GSM will work better.

Thanks for the link... I'll check them out... as for GSM well we have him on my family plan so he don't have to get/pay for a bill so I wanted to be able to pop the sim card out of the phone he has now and put it into whatever new phone (if any) I find.

Thanks for the info!

Dave
  • Reply 187 of 192
    Hell I built my very own Hack Pro in my signature a while back; been messing with the osx86 project for about two years and I would love to see these Psystar clowns crushed to ashes by Apple. I had the 10a432 installed the very next day that it came out and already bought a copy of SL to support Apple!
  • Reply 188 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I believe Apple does it the other way around to prevent snooping.

Unlikely that Apple has this in mind.

In every case I am aware of Apple also makes the installers available as a direct download from their site. Folks in the Hackintosh community have no problems looking at the changes and determining which might interfere with the hacked installation prior to installation. Several of them also distribute repackaged versions of the updates with the offending components removed. (Usually kernel extensions of certain types.)
  • Reply 189 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There are phones marketed specifically towards the elderly. If he's a member of the AARP, check whatever magazines he gets from them. Maybe in Reader's Digest? I'm trying to recall whatever my grandparents read. I think those are better fits than smart phones, even the iPhone has tiny text and small buttons, the main exception being the one screen used to dial.

I put in "big button cell phone" into Google and found this:

http://www.jitterbug.com/Phones/

I can't tell if it's GSM, is there a particular reason for GSM? If he has hearing aids, something not GSM will work better.

Jitterbug phone are an MVNO on the Sprint network IIRC. Definitely CDMA. I bought one for my 76 yo mom and she loves hers.

Also, I have hearing aids and have never had a problem with GSM phones (Including the iPhone.) I doubt that anything reasonably new on the hearing aid or phone side will have significant issues. AFAIK, all current ATT phones are certified to work with hearing aids although most did not seem T-Coil compatible.
  • Reply 190 of 192
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Wow. Now I know what Steely Dan were thinking when they wrote Pretzel Logic. What a finely tuned mess of thought.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Stream of (un)consciousness!

Thank you for your comments. Hope the regimen of anti-fertility pills is going well.
  • Reply 191 of 192
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DonaldH View Post

Also, I have hearing aids and have never had a problem with GSM phones (Including the iPhone.) I doubt that anything reasonably new on the hearing aid or phone side will have significant issues.

What do you call reasonably new? I have iPhone 3G. iPhones are also known to interfere with wireless microphones and sound systems too, I've seen it on Larry Jordan's interviews at this year's NAB, the interviewee had to turn off his iPhone to continue, and it didn't look like a cheap audio setup either. It even will induce noise into an analog land line phone if it's within a yard of the phone cord.
  • Reply 192 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DonaldH View Post

Unlikely that Apple has this in mind.

In every case I am aware of Apple also makes the installers available as a direct download from their site. Folks in the Hackintosh community have no problems looking at the changes and determining which might interfere with the hacked installation prior to installation. Several of them also distribute repackaged versions of the updates with the offending components removed. (Usually kernel extensions of certain types.)

Actually if you use the retail install method using boot-132 like me, you can safely use Apple software updates just like in a real Mac. A few custom kexts are kept under /Extra/Extensions which is where chameleon looks for when booting the computer and because Apple system updates don't touch this folder, things don't break when a new point release or security update comes up.