Psystar sues Apple for Snow Leopard; "exploding" iPhones

Comments

• Reply 141 of 192
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I guess some people may only play games and watch movies but I tend to use email, maps, web, weather, stocks, etc. I don't even own 1 game. But that's just me. Which phone did you say you had?

I think you are missing the point here. The OP seems to be saying, like myself, that they have ready access to WiFi most of the time. For example, I have a an Airport Extreme at both work and home, so my so-called Data Plan access is ridiculously low. YMMV, but forcing everyone to have the Data Plan is not always going to be in the customers best interest. AT&T just finally closed the gap on those of us who did not have a Data Plan when we bought a new iPhone.
  • Reply 142 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So the reason why Apple is fighting this, is...?

Come on, "Doc". You know the answer to this one better than most.
  • Reply 143 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Could someone please point me to a law somewhere that states when a company writes an operating system that it has to run on any computer?

Bing! O!
  • Reply 144 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

The danger isn't in how many Mac clones Psystar could sell. The danger is in how many Mac clones Dell would sell if the door were opened by a Psytar victory in court.

Do you also find it interesting that you have to stop your car before changing a tire?

You owe me for the burns I just got from blowing hot tea out of my nose while reading this!
  • Reply 145 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Someone suggested that since they are already claiming to be able to install Snow Leopard in advance of it's release, that they are in violation of the beta agreement assuming they acquired it legally. I haven't seen the agreement, but I could see how that could complicate things even further for them (is complicate even a strong enough word?).

At this point in the game I think it?s about as bad as pissing in drinking water a year after they crapped in it. Not good, but not going to make a difference in the outcome.
  • Reply 146 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sure wifi is great but most people don't sit around indoors all day next to the wifi.

Really?

That has got to be news to millions of working stiffs.
  • Reply 147 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I love my Mac also but not so much that I would advocate murder, or laugh about murdering someone

Ah, I see our local Right To Life advocate is alive and not so well.

The only thing being murdered here is your ability to read and comprehend.
  • Reply 148 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Bing! O!

Oooh? It?s a Bingo!

PS: Coiled phone cords didn?t exist in 1944.
  • Reply 149 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I do remember that with Audi but I never new the outcome was Audi was exonerated! Just goes to show!

The 1988 Chevy Berretta and Corsica had a similar problem due to a faulty PRAM chip. I should know, I once owned both of them. Man, what a rush if you survived the experience!
  • Reply 150 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Oooh… It’s a Bingo!

PS: Coiled phone cords didn’t exist in 1944.

Since your linked image did not show up, I'll just add that coiled guitar cords probably didn't as well.
  • Reply 151 of 192
    Quote:

Since your linked image did not show up, I'll just add that coiled guitar cords probably didn't as well.

It’s showing up for me, but IMDb is tricky with their images. It’s Col. Hans Landa of Inglorious Basterds sitting behind the desk debating whether he should make the call. If you’ve seen the movie my comment will make sense.. hopefully.

link: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26um%3D1
  • Reply 152 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I tell you a few reasons why I hate Psystar.

A) They ripped off the free hardwork of the hackintosh community. A lot of the major people involved did a lot of work to make this stuff work, and Psystar ripped it off and made a company out of it. They now have some hired geeks and randomly contribute back because they had to create a few things. But the majority of it was taken from the higher ups in the community. Without thanks btw.

B) This next one requires a comparison. JDM companies do a lot of research and development to create parts for race cars. Spending millions of dollars to create parts to increase aerodynamics on cars and trucks. A new company can come along, purchase their part and make a mold of it and resell it for a fraction of the cost. Why is it fair that company (a) spends all the time and money on the part while company (b) simply copies it and resells it for their gain? What it has done is put some of these good companies out of business. Which ultimately hurt the customers. If Psystar got big enough, it could eventually hurt apple and hurt apple's sales which would hurt the end customer on price.

C) The way Psystar handles itself as a company is downright sleezy. The court procedings, the constant movement of the company to dodge questioning, and the way it suddenly was created as a big competitive name for court are scary things for end consumers.

If Apple wants to have others sell their OS, great. More power to them. But I think it's very sleezy to do anything without permission and then try and pretend you did nothing wrong.

VERY well said. I couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 153 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

It?s showing up for me, but IMDb is tricky with their images. It?s Col. Hans Landa of Inglorious Basterds sitting behind the desk debating whether he should make the call. If you?ve seen the movie my comment will make sense.. hopefully.

link: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26um%3D1

OK. Got it. Haven't seen it yet, but I'm going to do so this weekend. Looks like someone from the Continuity Department blew it big time.
  • Reply 154 of 192
    Quote:

OK. Got it. Haven't seen it yet, but I'm going to do so this weekend. Looks like someone from the Continuity Department blew it big time.

I just went to add that to IMDb but it?s already there. There are a lot of anachronisms and other goofs in the movie, but this is a fictional Tarantino film about a ?Jew?s wet dream? as one reviewer put it, so I?m not exactly looking for the realism I?d look for in a Spielberg film.

? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/goofs
  • Reply 155 of 192
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Sometimes a person needs to work really, really hard to destroy a discussion topic.
  • Reply 156 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Sometimes a person needs to work really, really hard to destroy a discussion topic.

I couldn't agree more.

So why do you continue to do it?
  • Reply 157 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I tell you a few reasons why I hate Psystar.

If Apple wants to have others sell their OS, great. More power to them. But I think it's very sleezy to do anything without permission and then try and pretend you did nothing wrong.

It appears to me that you think Psystar is sleazy because ... they are ... and have exhibited no redeeming corporate behavior. None.
  • Reply 158 of 192
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Psystar is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

So what if they are? What do they have to lose?
  • Reply 159 of 192
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I am also very against the fact it seems to always be 1 rule for MS and another for Apple. If Apple is in a PC market and not a Mac market, why can they force Safari and iTunes on their users in a default install but MS can do the same with IE and Media Player. If its a Mac market then why do they get to force the hardware?

Microsoft got into the trouble with IE not just because they make it their default browser but that they ALSO integrated IE at the file management level putting other browsers at a disadvantage.

By contrast on the Mac you can download any available browser you want and have it function as good or better than Safari.

I haven't ever used Safari as my default browser in years and this has been preserved update after update while every time you updated Windows somehow your default browser would magically and conveniently become IE.

Media Player is more comparative to Quicktime than iTunes and there are many codecs that Microsoft gives away like free samples on the Windows side but only limited (if at all) on theMac side. There are some codecs that only exist in VLC because the owners will not license to Apple directly.
  • Reply 160 of 192
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maximara View Post

Microsoft got into the trouble with IE not just because they make it their default browser but that they ALSO integrated IE at the file management level putting other browsers at a disadvantage.

That may be technically true, but the reason Microsoft ran into legal trouble wasn't this. The problem they had under antitrust law was the use of their market power in operating systems to disadvantage a competitor, in this case, Netscape. They used Windows as the leverage to force Netscape out of the browser market. Apple has never been found to have any comparative power over any market. They can bundle all they wish until and unless they are found to have market power over a properly defined market.