Signs point to possible Apple TV upgrade at Sept. 9 event

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Really? The HD movies I've bought and play thru my ATV look pretty damn good to me.

Some of them. Tropic Thunder was amazing. A Fish Called Wanda, not so much.

Maury
  • Reply 42 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

To all you who collect(ed) DVD's out there - do you really repeat view? I mean, be honest. I have repeat viewed many movies but only while I was a film student. And those were inevitably the classics. Now, to even get around to watching half the movies I'd like to watch is like a crazy fantasy. To repeat view... you gotta be kidding. Which is to say, owning movies? What's the point? Which is to say - Apple - get with the program!

Collectors certainly like to be able to revisit certain scenes maybe not repeat the whole film in its entirety. It's the same as people who collect music (CDs). They may not repeat listening to the entire CD, but want to be able to have that option readily available. Hence, they own them.
  • Reply 43 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Really! It does get awfully hot! I have even unplugged it on occasion because of the heat factor. It's already hot enough here in Arizona in the Summer!

Well a related problem is that it never really goes to sleep. Come on, isn't Apple supposed to be the greenies? 13W forever? Fix it!

Maury
  • Reply 44 of 115
    Hmmm....Apple TV update at the same time as a Tablet? Imagine a tablet that acts as a remote control while in the media room, then as a remote viewer when elsewhere in the home or when traveling.

Accessing the home Apple TV that now is a media and data server accessible via wifi in the home or over a cellular network or internet access when away.

I'd buy....
  • Reply 45 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Collectors certainly like to be able to revisit certain scenes maybe not repeat the whole film in its entirety. It's the same as people who collect music (CDs). They may not repeat listening to the entire CD, but want to be able to have that option readily available. Hence, they own them.

I agree the majority of films I wouldn't bother owning...

Two points...if I've rented a movie from iTunes and particularly enjoyed it, I will watch it again and usually pickup something I missed the first time.

Secondly, there are a few movies that I do enjoy seeing more than once, Alien, Predator, The Thing, Quantum of Solace to name a few....FYI: if you like scifi or just a well done story, go see District 9!

My girlfriend even liked it and she hates action movies, I had to tell her Precinct 13 was a love story!
  • Reply 46 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ejam2000 View Post

Hmmm....Apple TV update at the same time as a Tablet? Imagine a tablet that acts as a remote control while in the media room, then as a remote viewer when elsewhere in the home or when traveling.

Accessing the home Apple TV that now is a media and data server accessible via wifi in the home or over a cellular network or internet access when away.

I'd buy....

Brilliant! Me too!
  • Reply 47 of 115
    I love my Apple TV.

I have a wishlist for an upgraded version. If they are met I'll buy it asap:

1 - 2.5" internal hard drive

2 - On/Off switch (In the front !!!!!!)
  • Reply 48 of 115
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Munster believes there's a high possibility the sky will rain marshmallows, but doesn't rule out the possibility that those marshmallows will just be large drops or rain.
  • Reply 49 of 115
    ULV Core Solo CPU

9400M Chipset

Apple TV 10.6 OS revision (ya know the updated one)

Doing what the Boxee folks did with Hulu, Revision, and the like would be a "SOLD" for many, many people.

With the relationship and side-selling capabilities of iTunes as a service offering direct tie into Comedy Central... Watch this, buy the season. CBS, NBC, The other guy and FOX.

App Store + Bluetooth = BT Joysticks and an Apple competitor for Nintendo, Sony, Xbox, Sega (LOL).

I can see a Blue-Ray player as an ala-carte item that sits under it and uses the USB port, thus allowing current iTV owners to add BD support.

If I owned an AppleTV right now... I'd Boxee it, and sell it on Ebay QUICK.
  • Reply 50 of 115
    Quote:

Yep! Having thought about it a little more, I would have to say, 'I love mine, too.' I like the integration of TV, music, photos and movies, (Rentals and owned).

Especially photos though. We look at our photos a lot more now with AppleTV than we ever did when they were just 'in the computer' or in photo albums (or more likely, in boxes!)

Having them on with a some good background songs playing while having friends over for drinks or dinner is wonderful. Our friends are always impressed the first time they see it and if I include photos of them they seem to like it even more, for some reason. \

Mine suits my viewing habits exactly. I'm not a channel flipper - I have a small number of shows I like to watch (three or four, generally speaking), and as such, spending $100/month for cable service is ludicrous. Instead, I can pay $40 per series to get those shows in high definition. For four shows, that's $160 per year, a $1040 savings over Comcast (okay, it's actually less because I do pay $14/month for limited basic). I watch those shows when I want (including multiple viewings if I care) and don't have to skip commercials. I can also transfer them to my iPod or iPhone for viewing on the road or on the bus. It's a win-win for me.

I do occasionally view photo slideshows, my own locally stored photos and those I host on MobileMe, as well as viewing my friends' Flickr feeds. I wish I could specify the music, especially for my own slideshows - what I'd like is to be able to set up a slideshow in advance with iPhoto and have it viewable on my AppleTV.

I also watch some YouTube subscriptions on my AppleTV and occasionally rent movies.

It's a near-perfect box. As I said, I'd love a faster processor so that higher-quality video could be viewed, regardless of its format (my box is hacked with Boxee which I use for viewing DivX and online content). I'd also like a larger hard drive so that I can store more of that HD video locally, rather than having to stream it.
  • Reply 51 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

I agree the majority of films I wouldn't bother owning...

Two points...if I've rented a movie from iTunes and particularly enjoyed it, I will watch it again and usually pickup something I missed the first time.

Secondly, there are a few movies that I do enjoy seeing more than once, Alien, Predator, The Thing, Quantum of Solace to name a few....FYI: if you like scifi or just a well done story, go see District 9!

My girlfriend even liked it and she hates action movies, I had to tell her Precinct 13 was a love story!

Everybody's told me District 9 is great. I have to see it.

Apple does need a library update especially for older titles.
  • Reply 52 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ejam2000 View Post

I'd buy....

SimplifyMedia Did it.
  • Reply 53 of 115
    Quote:

It wasn't?
  • Reply 54 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

It wasn't?

Funny! I know, I had to keep saying, 'OK this is the romantic part!' Right before somebody got shot 20 times!
  • Reply 55 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Everybody's told me District 9 is great. I have to see it.

Apple does need a library update especially for older titles.

Yeah, the camera work is a little herky-jerky and the south african accents take a bit of getting used too...but once it gets going it's good and the special effects were some of the best I've seen. Very realistic. I mean, as far aliens go!

I agree about the organization of the 'classics' but I have to believe 80% (if not more) of the iTune's movie downloads are new releases. Sometimes I will dig deeper into the trailers but mainly now just do the new releases or if I read a recommendation I will do a 'search.'
  • Reply 56 of 115
    hcehce Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I don't see it happening.

1. Apple could easily have gone the DVR route already -- by adding it to Apple TV or buying TIVO for very, very cheap -- and hasn't.

2. Adding DVR functionality to Apple TV would cannibalize iTunes Store without adding getting anything in return, which is the same reason the Apple TV does not have a DVD or Blu-ray player.

If you don't cannibalize your products, pretty soon others will eat you alive. It isn't as if Apple isn't aware of this. They actually used the word 'cannibalize' in their earnings conference call. Here is a quote from an article on this very site

"We expect our traditional MP3 players to decline over time," Oppenheimer said during Tuesday's earnings report conference call, "as we cannibalize ourselves with the iPod touch and the iPhone."

Later, Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook also used the word "cannibalization" to define the iPhone chipping away at traditional iPod sales.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

3. Adding DVR functionality to Apple TV would strengthen consumer commitment to cable/satellite, and Apple will not be able to get wide adoption of a subscription plan in the $50-$60/month range unless they turn Apple TV into a Comcast-killer, i.e., a direct competitor to cable and satellite.

4. Apple usually makes the thing -- not the thing that helps the thing. Adding DVR functionality to Apple TV would really be an enhancement to your cable -- another company's product -- and I can't come up with another example where Apple does that. Again, it strengthens the tie to the other product rather than to the one Apple makes.

Why couldn't Apple make a deal with the cable providers to sell its set-top box and get a cut of the revenues. If Apple feels that there is a market for something, they will do it. To be so wedded to your own solution that you ignore ones that the market prefers is, frankly, stupid - and Steve Jobs isn't stupid.

Apple TV hasn't exactly set the world on fire (to be fair, none of the competing products have, either) and if something like that is likely to catch on, they'd be fools not to do it. I am not saying that this is what they will - just saying that it is premature to categorically rule out DVR/Blu-ray on the Apple TV.

- HCE
  • Reply 57 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

Mine suits my viewing habits exactly. I'm not a channel flipper - I have a small number of shows I like to watch (three or four, generally speaking), and as such, spending $100/month for cable service is ludicrous. Instead, I can pay $40 per series to get those shows in high definition. For four shows, that's $160 per year, a $1040 savings over Comcast (okay, it's actually less because I do pay $14/month for limited basic). I watch those shows when I want (including multiple viewings if I care) and don't have to skip commercials. I can also transfer them to my iPod or iPhone for viewing on the road or on the bus. It's a win-win for me.

I do occasionally view photo slideshows, my own locally stored photos and those I host on MobileMe, as well as viewing my friends' Flickr feeds. I wish I could specify the music, especially for my own slideshows - what I'd like is to be able to set up a slideshow in advance with iPhoto and have it viewable on my AppleTV.

I also watch some YouTube subscriptions on my AppleTV and occasionally rent movies.

It's a near-perfect box. As I said, I'd love a faster processor so that higher-quality video could be viewed, regardless of its format (my box is hacked with Boxee which I use for viewing DivX and online content). I'd also like a larger hard drive so that I can store more of that HD video locally, rather than having to stream it.

Yep, very similar, just a few shows, 'This Week with George Stephanopolis,' 'GPS with Fareed Zakaria,' Formula One, Golf (when Tiger is playing) and MNF (when Brady is Playing). I record them on EyeTV which automatically streams them over to AppleTV for viewing!
  • Reply 58 of 115
    Quote:

Teckstud I have to say, it's such a pleasant change when you use your sense of humor (quite funny at times) as opposed to when you, er.... 'vomit' on people!

Vomiting is what happens when you wander into the Political Outsider cesspool...er, forum.
  • Reply 59 of 115
    I ditched my AppleTV (well, gave it to my Mom who doesn't use it) and replaced it with an old MacBook... I use it mostly for watching video podcasts and a few movies I ripped from DVD and to browse the web from the couch.

I find no reasonable method to a) reduce my dish bill or b) get rid of it. My fiancee and I watch much different programming and there are always movies on HBO to watch. I have about 6 or 7 shows that I watch regularly and she has 3 or 4 more and to rent all of the movies we have watched on HBO/Cinemax would end costing more than the dish bill.

Apple would really have to come out with something really compelling to get me to buy again but I doubt an AppleTV could do anything that a MacMini or the like could do. There is no one device that will get rid of them all.

At the same time, I have 4 devices attached to my TV [Xbox360, PS3, MacBook, and even the Wii] that duplicate certain functionalities (music, movies, and pictures) and I have never chosen a single device to use all of the time. It should be the MacBook, but it isn't. Most of the time, it ends up the PS3 (due to Blu-ray player) using the MediaLink software running on my iMac. Gives me access to all of my pics and music and then movies via the blu-ray drive.
  • Reply 60 of 115
    If Herman Munster is correct about the Apple TV upgrade at the Apple Event on 09.09.09, count on the Tablet being there too. Then again, Steve will show, Steve won't show.......who knows and are these analysts ever correct?