Apple's Snow Leopard upgrades Mac OS X, downgrades Flash

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    Why doesn't flash upgrade automatically?
  • Reply 22 of 73
    I'm not sure how responsible this article is....is there a possible reason why apple didn't include this latest update? Remember, Safari is not an extension of Flash...Flash is an extension/plugin of Safari.

I just followed the instructions on this article and upgraded but now I can print from Safari???? I can still print from Firefox but now Safari is acting up....it just froze as I tried to print this page so I had to open up in Firefox. This is very frustrating because I know just yesterday I had printed 4 pages in Safari and now suddenly it doesn't work seconds after upgrading my flash.

Is there a possible connection??? Geez....this is frustrating...how do I downgrade my flash??
  • Reply 23 of 73
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    So he admits that Flash has "a raft of potential attacks and exploits". Why is this not the big story, instead of an entirely routine consequence of installing software from a pressed disc?

Man hitting self with hammer: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

Doctor: "Then don't do that."

When will we stop hitting ourself with the Flash Hammer and shove Adobe into the corner with a dunce hat?
  • Reply 24 of 73
    I like the idea of turning Flash off completely, how does one do that?
  • Reply 25 of 73
    Adobe releases an update after Snow Leopard goes Gold Master, therefore that version does not make it onto the disk. No different than when you buy a printer and the driver on that disk is older than what is online.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Safari and Flash seem to be crash happy on my installation of SL. I didn't have these problems until 10A421a. I guess they never really improved it in 10A432. Are people really sure they want Flash on their iPhones? I certainly don't.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    IF windows shipped with itunes, and IF windows 7 shipped with itunes 8 [after 9 is released]this forum would be screaming bloody murder for MS trying to cripple the competition, regardless of release dates. so much for being objective.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

IF windows shipped with itunes, and IF windows 7 shipped with itunes 8 [after 9 is released]this forum would be screaming bloody murder for MS trying to cripple the competition, regardless of release dates. so much for being objective.

That's silly (and defensive-sounding on your part). As one of the posters has pointed out, it depends on when the update was released relative to when the OS was released.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Safari and Flash seem to be crash happy ......

Ah, now I know what 'crappy' stands for in computer lingo.......
  • Reply 30 of 73
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

This is a completely over the top comparison. Shipping Safari with the second newest update on a browser plug-in is nowhere near the same thing as shipping Windows 7 with an old version of the leading media software.

The only reason that shipping Safari with less than the most recent third party plug-ins would even be important is if there was a dangerous bug or hacker pathway in the version they shipped that was plugged by the later version. Since this anti-virus salesman (who is rather obviously beating his own drum BTW), doesn't mention anything of the sort, this is clearly a total non-issue.

Flash is a third party plug-in after all. Apple is not responsible for shipping anything for Adobe.

You also have to consider that Adobe takes every single opportunity to screw Apple over and has for years. So the first time Apple doesn't ship the very latest of their plug-ins, they are taken to task over it? This is just more of that "Apple is evil" meme that's been floating around. It has nothing to do with the facts.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

As people have mentioned, ClickToFlash. It's fantastic.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    WOW!

If you havent upgraded to the lastest version, DO NOT DO IT. I upgraded after a Firefox update alerted me to the new flash version and now both Safari and Firefox both crash extremely often. It's not even usable. Looks like Apple did a smart thing here.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    To quote someone else Big Deal. Get real and take some responsibility for yourself.

The best way to avoid malware is to not put yourself into where it will effect you. Usually works.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

WOW!

If you havent upgraded to the lastest version, DO NOT DO IT. I upgraded after a Firefox update alerted me to the new flash version and now both Safari and Firefox both crash extremely often. It's not even usable. Looks like Apple did a smart thing here.

You do not know what you are talking about. Flash can't possibly crash Safari anymore since it runs in its own process starting with 10.6. Plus, stating that Apple did the right thing by exposing the users to what Adobe considers itself critical security bugs borders on lunacy.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Flash is a third party plug-in after all. Apple is not responsible for shipping anything for Adobe.

But Apple ships and installs it by default so they have at least the responsibility to keep their users on the newest version if they can't fix problems by themselves. Judging by that logic Apple wouldn't also be responsible for all the third party open source stuff which ships with OS X.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chromos View Post

As people have mentioned, ClickToFlash. It's fantastic.

Here is Macworld's review back in February: http://www.macworld.com/article/1387...hprospect.html

Obviously it has been improved.

Any other reviews would be helpful
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Safari -> Preferences -> Security -> Activate plug-ins (or similar, I'm running a non-english version). Do yourself a favor and use ClickToFlash instead.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Adobe releases an update after Snow Leopard goes Gold Master, therefore that version does not make it onto the disk. No different than when you buy a printer and the driver on that disk is older than what is online.

Well, it could at least check whether the installed version is higher than the one on the installation disk.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Flash is never gonna go 64-bit, is it? =/

Adobe has been testing a 64 Bit version of Flash on Linux for some time now. [1] Don't know what happened since then and if there are concrete efforts to port the 64 Bit version to Windows and OS X underway.

[1] http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...inux-alpha.ars
  • Reply 40 of 73
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

So having 8 instead of 9 is in the same ballpark as 10.0.23.1 instead of 10.0.31.18??? It is still Flash 10, and can play anything the newest version can. What was the most recent Flash version when Snow Leopard was released to manufacturing?