Apple already testing Mac OS X 10.6.1 Update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Is it just me, or has the Snowy Leopard upgrade been successful for most of the users?

Fine here. Aside from an issue with SL recognizing my RAID mirror setup (which I think I borked on my own before installing SL), everything's been great.

Setting up my HP Laserjet P2015 was actually easier and quicker than in Leopard, meaning, no work on my part.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Ever since 10A421a, Safari likes to produce the lovely spinning beach ball frequently when going from page to page. I bet it's flash related.

Apple downgraded flash with SL (there is another article here on AI talking about it) I had the same issue, downloaded flash from Adobe again and the problem went away. Flash was also causing my CPU usage to spike and kicking the fans on my MBP to run full blast - after re-upgrading flash that stopped also.
  • Reply 43 of 90
    Try this......

Enter 25 or more rules in the Rules Window of Mail.

When the scroll bar appears the window will extend off the bottom of your screen making both the CANCEL and ACCEPT buttons move off the bottom of the screen. When this happens neither button can be activated by the mouse.

This problem has existed since 10.4.x. I have reported this several times during phone calls with Apple Support Techs. Each time the tech has confirmed the bug and vowed to report it to the proper people. So far.... nothing has been fixed.

Or maybe Safari can be repaired.... Try this... go to this site

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

When animation starts, about 20 sends after page begins to load, try scrolling the map. Scrolling will be very jerky, CPU usage will jump to about 50%. This problem has existed and been repeatedly reported for a couple of years.

Jim
  • Reply 44 of 90
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Most here should know that the Mac OS X usually doesn't get real stable till around the 10.x.4 area. All OSs (Mac, Windows, Linux) have issues right out the door. So this story should come as no surprise. To those who have 10.6.0, thanks for being our guinea pigs.

I think thats a pretty gross misstatement. I have no issues, other then a printer driver that needs to be updated - and that's not Apple's fault. Canon has already stated the new driver will be out Wednesday, and if push comes to shove there are several known workarounds posted on the 'net.

Everything else works fine.

Sure some people are having issues - but that's just the nature of the beast. To cite that Mac OSX isn't stable until three or four updates is absurd - all the people who upated just fine usually aren't the ones posting in forums like this
  • Reply 45 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I think thats a pretty gross misstatement. I have no issues, other then a printer driver that needs to be updated - and that's not Apple's fault. Canon has already stated the new driver will be out Wednesday, and if push comes to shove there are several known workarounds posted on the 'net.

Everything else works fine.

Sure some people are having issues - but that's just the nature of the beast. To cite that Mac OSX isn't stable until three or four updates is absurd - all the people who upated just fine usually aren't the ones posting in forums like this

+1

And my printer works with SL by default.

So, I have ZERO issues. Not a few, not a couple. Not even one. Zero.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    On the whole the Snow Leopard upgrade was quick and painless.

The problems after the upgrade that surfaced are:

- Unable to run Dreamweaver/Fireworks MX 2004 versions

- Flash Player downgraded to an earlier version

- Quicktime won't play .mov or .mp4 files from a sharepoint server (some QT components are requesting network access eg. QTKitServer)

- Shockwave won't install on 10.6

- Plaxo plugins for Mail and Addressbook are disabled. This means you lose the ability to see which people in your addressbook are on Plaxo.

The biggest problem though was the Keychain. I was unable to view Keychain entries. "Access is Restricted" was the consistent message.

I ran keychain access firstaid on Keychain and it created a backup of the keychain.

I was then able to connect the saved keychain as Login_Renamed1 and see the previously locked records.

The problem then re-surfaced. So I disabled Mobile Me syncing and re-ran Keychain Firstaid. I then re-enabled syncing with MobileMe and used the advanced tab to push copies of everything up to the MobileMe cloud.

So far things seem to be settling down but the Login section of keychain still seems to have records that are access restricted.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

I'm hoping the DNS issues are resolved along with support for xerox workcentre printers.

I had the Xerox Workcentre printer issue and said "oh crap!" I went back and downloaded the driver and can now print with no issues.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Is it just me, or has the Snowy Leopard upgrade been successful for most of the users?

Why the confused face? Were you expecting a mess?

My install went pretty well; I've had two problems.

1) iStat Menus doesn't work. I knew about that before upgrading, and they are already promising a fix soon.

2) Last night, I was reading about other people's printer driver issues, and realized I hadn't tested printing. My networked Lexmark laser printer worked perfectly, but I couldn't select my Epson inkjet, which is connected via USB on my Time Capsule. "Nooooo!!!" Fortunately, I started withe the most basic troubleshooting steps, and quickly determined that I had failed to turn it on...

This is my first Mac upgrade; I'm very happy with it. I usually had more problems with Windows service packs!
  • Reply 49 of 90
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    if you are, in fact, a mac user (as i suspect you're not), why don't you just reinstall leopard?

you trolls really amaze me. instead of knocking on microsoft's door, complaining about your os and why there is no innovation, you spend countless hours on sites like these, attempting to tarnish the reputation of apple.

i suspect you're on ballmer's payroll.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

I just found out that the scanning functionality is now built into Apple's Preview and Image Capture. This is awesome. I like not having to use yet another application. The whole print/scan/fax driver thing is really sweat.

So far, I would say it's been my best upgrade ever...but Saft, where are you?

Hey, great! I knew it was in SL "enhancements". I'm visually impaired; thus my interest. Why don't you open a thread and describe your experience more fully, and get a discussion going?
  • Reply 51 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

A lot of 1st post trolls on AI lately ... what's up with that?

What's your problem? No one can complain about Apple now? I am so tired of you Apple bitches! This new kind of fan boys that only know apple because of the iPod...

I've been a mac user since 1997 and I never seen so bad behaved users since My old days as irc geek when I was a Windows user. What to do about this iPod generation?

I am having problems mainly with two apps quite important in my workflow, and accordingly to the developers it's a problem of snow leopard and not the apps itself...

The upgrade was smooth and my macs are running faster, but till apple fix some rendering problems I will not be able to use the apps I need for my work, I am disappointed with Apple, I paid for the upgrade so I have all the rights to complain about the issues I am having. If you are having any issues good for you, I would like to say the same.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    We need those printer drivers. the xerox workcentre 7245 driver, mine doesn`t work, and all the other drivers. yes I signed up just to say this, so maybe I`m a troll and a needy one..

Flood those service email adresses at xerox and canon so that they work around the clock on this thing. Massive driver problems as you will find in the apple support SL-forum is not good for the snow leopard.

oddi
  • Reply 53 of 90
    For anyone that is thinking in upgrading to snow leopard... do yourself a favour and go to:

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

and check if the applications you need are supported by 10.6. Be aware that an app that is not on the list does not mean it is supported or not. Though the webpage is constantly being updated, so you can get the last info about the apps you need.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

What's your problem? No one can complain about Apple now? I am so tired of you Apple bitches! This new kind of fan boys that only know apple because of the iPod...

I've been a mac user since 1997 and I never seen so bad behaved users since My old days as irc geek when I was a Windows user. What to do about this iPod generation?

I am having problems mainly with two apps quite important in my workflow, and accordingly to the developers it's a problem of snow leopard and not the apps itself...

The upgrade was smooth and my macs are running faster, but till apple fix some rendering problems I will not be able to use the apps I need for my work, I am disappointed with Apple, I paid for the upgrade so I have all the rights to complain about the issues I am having. If you are having any issues good for you, I would like to say the same.

Here's your first post:

Quote:

The snow leopard upgrade brought so many problems to some of us that they could release 10.6.1 without any testing, because worst than 10.6 it would never be. Not even windows vista brought me so many incompatibilities!

"I am having problems mainly with two apps" . . . doesn't quite jive with your first post.

In other words, your whine post doesn't quite fit your back-pedalling post.

And what are these "two apps" that you need for work, which apparently no one else here uses?
  • Reply 55 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

IIRC, the GPU has to have h.264 acceleration explicitly built in to the silicon. It's not an issue of writing code to do the job. Expect to see it as a feature of future GPU hardware.

Exactly. The point is that every discrete GPU since the ATI X1000 series and the nVidia 7000 series has hardware H.264 acceleration silicon on the GPU. It has been available on Windows from GPU introduction. Lack of support in Snow Leopard is not a hardware issue. It's purely an Apple software issue, either lack of manpower or they just want to force people to upgrade their hardware.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Here's your first post:

"I am having problems mainly with two apps" . . . doesn't quite jive with your first post.

And what are these "two apps" that you need for work, which apparently no one else here uses?

Not that I need to reply but...

The important ones:

Prism 5.0b (GraphPad)

Live Mesh

By the way I also had problems with my printer (HP P1005), Quicksilver, Cyberduck... now solved, though I lost my Quicksilver shortcuts.

I see the horizontal lines on my Safari. Safari can no longer play online radio with wma files using the flip4mac plugin. Cooliris still no solution... and a couple more plugins I have and that stop working
  • Reply 57 of 90
    Quote:

Here's your first post:

one more thing I was not back -pedalling, and since I pay for my apps I can whine as much as I want if they do not work properly...
  • Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:

What it's always been. Apple envy. When you're a Windows sufferer, you're bound to experience it some time. I used to be like that too, LOL.

It is not apple envy you are blinded by your devotion to your god Jobs and your love of Apple. These problems and needed update shows that Apple is no better than MS that you deride. Ths is the same as MS with multiple updates and problems with the operating system. No envy here!
  • Reply 59 of 90
    Quote:

When you have a computer and applications that are important to your workflow, you don't go out and install the most recent update within the first week of release. You should have a.) setup a second partition or external hard drive and installed and tested, so you could revert back if needed, or b.) waited until the developers of the programs you use most state that they are ready to be used with snow leopard. I'm currently running one computer with Leopard, and one with Snow Leopard, to test for problems.

Snow Leopard has several new technologies under the hood, and a lot of legacy code and API's are finally getting flushed from the system. If developers are using undocumented API's, then it could be a problem. There are problems with every OS upgrade, especially at the beginning. It's surprising your the developers of the software having trouble weren't testing against the developer builds being released on ADC. The Gold Master build has been out for several weeks already on ADC.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    Quote:

Not that I need to reply but...

The important ones:

Prism 5.0b (GraphPad)

Live Mesh

By the way I also had problems with my printer (HP P1005), Quicksilver, Cyberduck... now solved, though I lost my Quicksilver shortcuts.

I see the horizontal lines on my Safari. Safari can no longer play online radio with wma files using the flip4mac plugin. Cooliris still no solution... and a couple more plugins I have and that stop working

On a mission-critical computer the smart thing to do is ALWAYS to wait it out. I upgraded my MBP but my tower is still on Leopard. Why? Because I make money with my tower and having the new shiny isn't worth borking my machine. Wait until you're sure everything is figured out before you switch. It baffles me when people complain about things breaking in a x.0 release of an OS that they need for work. Just wait if it's the machine you make your living on.