Apple approves Commodore 64 emulator for iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I would buy it if it had games I remember as a kid, but I don't know what any of those 5 are. I remember International Karate but that's not one of the 5.

Yeah. I remember my Commodore 64 fondly. I still use the monitor today and it still works!

But I never heard of any of these games, and hardly played games at all on it anyway. Emulating the word processor, or some of the drawing programs, or providing a way to load programs onto it that aren't bought through the Apple store would be far more useful.

I had a 3D wireframe drawing program that I still have object files for that I spent hundreds of hours creating and probably a few disks of word processing files that I wouldn't mind seeing again, although I can't even remember the name of the program now.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    >Today, Apple's notebook line has virtually no expansion options

Exactly what can't you do with a USB port that you could do with the MacBook's card slot? The list has become vanishingly small...or at least, vanishingly small in proportion to the number of people that require the few expansion options required by a card slot.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

OK, now this is awesome. Roll on SNES and SuperMetroid/Castlevania VII.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Over Nintendo's dead body.

...At least until Apple acquires them (come on, it's all but inevitable, isn't it!?).

It's been a long time since Nintendo has put one of their games onto a non-Nintendo device. Wasn't there a Donkey Kong or Mario on Commodore or Apple ][? Once they had their own popularhardware, they haven't needed to do that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

"Don't despair" is the correct English for this situation. Why is there a "[sic]" afterwards?

I agree, it's odd. For those that don't know, [sic] is supposed to mean "this is exactly what they said", usually so the person doing the quoting is aware that there is a question about the original quote. It's usually used when there are grammar or spelling issues. It is spelled and used properly but Prince seems to think that a much less logical and conventional word was intended, or he doesn't know what despair or disappear means. If it's not that, then It seems to me that Prince is trying to insert his own agenda into the comment, or to try to increase the article's word count.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmaletic View Post

>Today, Apple's notebook line has virtually no expansion options

Exactly what can't you do with a USB port that you could do with the MacBook's card slot? The list has become vanishingly small...or at least, vanishingly small in proportion to the number of people that require the few expansion options required by a card slot.

You are right in a sense, USB is even one of the modes that a card can communicate with the computer.

I like having it because that's what the SxS solid state video format uses for a physical and electrical connection, and it's faster than what USB can provide. If I ever get a cellular modem, I would prefer it to be internal rather than an external, easy to lose or easy to break lever. Or for eSATA. Other than those three uses, I don't know. At least It's on the 17".
  • Reply 25 of 66
    Quote:

As for the iPhone and iPod touch, Apple doesn't include either a user-replaceable battery or a RAM slot, leaving the mobile devices tied, much like the Commodore 64, to a single interface for games and apps. For the C64, that was its difficult-to-pirate cartridge slot; for the iPhone, it's the digital rights management of iTunes. Which now offers the ability to act as a C64.

I hardly ever saw cartridges for the C64. Although they existed, most software by far was availible on Tape and Floppy Disc. I'd even venture so far as to say that rampant software piracy on the C64 was a contributor to it's hardware sales success. The same could be said for the Playstation 1 and 2 line with modchips and easy blank CD or DVD copies. (not so with PS3 blueray)

In fact - while not piracy, the free or only $0.99 AppStore mentally is undoubtedly a huge driver or hardware sales for both iPhone and iPod Touch.

Apple has shown with Snow Leopard and even Logic Express and Studio that people will pay for great value for money software, even if there isn't any copy protection. I've never purchased Microsoft Windows as I disagree with the per machine tie in, I replace my computer maybe once or twice per year, why keep paying for a new OS version?
  • Reply 26 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Says he with nearly 8,000 posts.

Yeah, but the type of gloss on the buttons on the iTunes Store!? Flip that.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Under what contrived reasoning would they be thought of as meaning "disappear"? That makes much less sense to assume disappear, grammatically speaking. The sic seems to be unnecessary too, it is spelled properly ....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Note author of article. That contrived reasoning.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I’m with you. The usage is conventional, thus making the meaning unmistakable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

"Don't despair" is the correct English for this situation. Why is there a "[sic]" afterwards? ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Shouldn't it be [sigh] ?

Quote:

... I agree, it's odd. For those that don't know, [sic] is supposed to mean "this is exactly what they said", usually so the person doing the quoting is aware that there is a question about the original quote. It's usually used when there are grammar or spelling issues. It is spelled and used properly but Prince seems to think that a much less logical and conventional word was intended, or he doesn't know what despair or disappear means. If it's not that, then It seems to me that Prince is trying to insert his own agenda into the comment, or to try to increase the article's word count.

If any of you had bothered to watch the video closely instead of just jumping up and down on Daniel you might have noticed that the opening screen for the app, when talking about the absence of the BASIC emulator, says ... "DON'T DESPEAR"

The gigantic, unforgivable, he-should-be-burned-at-the-stake "mistake" you are complaining about was only that Prince failed to notice that his spell checker corrected the mistake for him or that perhaps an editor did after the fact.

But of course no one here has a bias against him do they? noooo, of course not.

Maybe people should check things out before they start jumping to conclusions eh?
  • Reply 28 of 66
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

That looks really cool!

I had a ZX Spectrum as a kid though, so I'm going to hold out and hope someone comes up with a similar emulator for that.

I had TI-994A at the time the Vic20 and Commodore 64 were on the market. The games for the TI were neat at the time but I couldn't care less to revisit them. I wasted enough time as a kid playing them.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

Is there an Apple ][ emulator out yet?

How much you wanna bet Steve would sue! lol

Dave
  • Reply 30 of 66
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I had TI-994A at the time the Vic20 and Commodore 64 were on the market. The games for the TI were neat at the time but I couldn't care less to revisit them. I wasted enough time as a kid playing them.

Brothers from different mothers!

Tho I went from a PDP11 and PET-CBM (in school) to a Vic20 --> C64

After that it was ALL down hill!

Bring back M.U.L.E. before it's too late!

Just thinking of that game and now I've got the sound track stuck in my brain...

Dave
  • Reply 31 of 66
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Says he with nearly 8,000 posts.

pwned
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If any of you had bothered to watch the video closely instead of just jumping up and down on Daniel you might have noticed that the opening screen for the app, when talking about the absence of the BASIC emulator, says ... "DON'T DESPEAR"

At what time in this video does it say that? I'm not questioning whether it's in there or not, I simply haven't found it.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    I think we might be able to run our own games. I found that if I enabled the always show full keyboard then launch say Dragons Den then hit reset I get a basic prompt. Now this is where it gets interesting.

I did a load "*" then typed run and it loaded up Dragons Den but this time I was greeted by a 'REMEMBER' loading screen with a scroller and all the options for infinite lives etc. So it is still just loading disc images. Interesting stuff I will let you all know once I have had a bit more of a fiddle.

UPDATE: Load "*" Seems to always load Dragons Den. Might see if there's a way to replace it on the device.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It only makes sense if it was written as…
    Don't despear [sic]! It should be resolved in a future update." Whether the company meant "despair" or "disappear,”
    ..hence the confusion.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    IT WORKS! I have it loading other disc images! I used Iphone Browser to replace DragonsD.D64 with Bubble Bobble but I gave it the same Filename as Dragons Den. I ran Dragons Den from the game list and Dragons Den loads up. Then press the RESET button on the extra keyboard and from the prompt type Load "*" then type run and BINGO! It loaded Bubble Bobble!
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

It only makes sense if it was written as?
    Don't despear [sic]! It should be resolved in a future update." Whether the company meant "despair" or "disappear,?
    ..hence the confusion.

The article was corrected for despear, which better explains the [sic], but how seemingly equal weight would be given to despair and disappear is beyond me, one is a somewhat well known phrase for reassurance, I can't say I've heard or read of anyone saying "don't disappear" in any context.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:

The article was corrected for despear, which better explains the [sic], but how seemingly equal weight would be given to despair and disappear is beyond me, one is a somewhat well known phrase for reassurance, I can't say I've heard or read of anyone saying "don't disappear" in any context.

I checked that on the forum article which has yet to be changed as i type this. I?ve heard the phrade, ?Don?t disappear? in the context of telling me to not go anywhere, but the context of the quoted text makes it obvious what is means. Anyway, enough on all this, we?re getting off track and it?s not Teckstud?s fault for once. Back to our regularly scheduled program?

So, is the in-app purchase available for this game yet? Is there news of what games will be next? I?d consider getting this app if the games being offered appealed to me. How does play into other emulators being offered. I had tens of thousands(?) of emulated games on my hacked Xbox back in the day via Maemo?
  • Reply 38 of 66
    I have succesfully got it running any games I want. I have also succeeded in adding my own links from the game menu with the pictures etc so I can simply click run to launch any game I want. I was disappointed at first when there was no basic and the games that came with it were average....

But now that I can use it for any games I want its amazing :P
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yeah I know what you mean. I started on a Sinclair ZX81, then the Spectrum, then a CBM Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, multiple PC's from the 486 era onwards and finally Macs from 2005.

For all I love my Macs now, I look back so fondly at those old machines that I'd like to see some emulated (the ZX81 and Spectrum are well emulated already).

This will get me flamed on this website, but I still think the Amiga was at the time the greatest computer available - a simply stunning machine.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

pwned

not pwned