Apple approves Commodore 64 emulator for iPhone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C1541 View Post

Zaxon - thanks so much for sharing your find !!!

I loaded iphonebrowser but I cant find the .d64 files?

Do you need a jailbroken phone to see them?

Thanks again.

If you goto User / Applications /

You will see all your apps, they will be jumbled Numbers and letters. Open the folders until you find one with a folder called C64.app. You will then know your in the right place.

Under C64.app/games you will find the named folders containing the games.

All you need to do is make a folder named for the game you want. Drag and drop the .D64 file into that folder. You will also need to copy the gameInfo.plist from one of the other folders and edit it in wordpad so that it points to the correct filename then drop that into the folder with your .D64.

If you also get the box art from the web and convert it to a .png and set the gameInfo.plist to point at that also it will add it to you 'My Games' with a nice little image.

Copy accross the nocontrols_bg.png also. Make sure when you are editing the .plist file that you remember its case sensitive. So make sure you type it correctly.

Its as simple as that tho. Good luck!! If anyone works out how to get it to read the second disk of a game let me know as I am still working on it!

**Your Phone will most likely need to be jailbroken**
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Thanks for the reply.

I can not see those directories, my phone is not jailbroken ?

I read the iPhoneBrower docs and it mentions only jailbroken phones will be able to see all dirs .

http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/wiki/Usage

Is your device jailbroken, maybe that's the difference?
  • Reply 63 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C1541 View Post

Thanks for the reply.

I can not see those directories, my phone is not jailbroken ?

I read the iPhoneBrower docs and it mentions only jailbroken phones will be able to see all dirs .

http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/wiki/Usage

Is your device jailbroken, maybe that's the difference?

Yeah mate mine is jailbroken. Only because I bought it from the UK and it was locked to O2.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zaxon View Post

As I have already posted earlier you can indeed upload your own disk images.. I have it working perfectly.

Sorry, somehow I managed to miss your posts about this. Blame it on too much work and too little sleep. Unfortunately your method only seems to work with a jailbroken iPhone and I have no plans to do that.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    Zaxon looks like the app was pulled.

Not sure if Apple became concerned from comments in this thread or elsewhere.

I think that most people buying the emulator

hoped to run old favorite programs from .d64 backup files.

Maybe since it was reported that transferring .d64 files

required jailbreaking the phone , Apple felt that

the c64 app in some sense encouraged hacking the iphone?

Mark this as another interesting footnote to Apple / Commodore's long history.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    I think it is more to do with the fact that BASIC was left in the application. If they remove the reset button it will get rid of easy access to basic. But I do not see how they can easily stop people from copying their own images accross without some serious re coding.

Even if they remove the reset button I could still just mount a formatted disk image then boot that and have access to basic.

As for the Jailbreaking side of things, Apple need to get over it seriously. 99% of people do it purely to unlock their phone or to fine tune their phone with some of the excellent 3rd party apps. Sure theres

the 1% of people that do it to play pirated apps. But seriously most apps are between .99c and $5 so why the hell would you bother.