Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399

Comments

• Reply 41 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

My Wii has wi-fi, internet, calendar. Guess my Wii is a computer too. Woo-hoo.

Technically, it is... one that is a specific purpose computer. Watches are little computers, too... jus' sayin'
  • Reply 42 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

So no FM Radio (yet they can in the Nano)? No details on the CPU?

The ZuneHD is cheaper and has:

FM Radio & HD Radio

OLED Screen

1GHZ NVIDIA TEGRA.

I saw that Apple was really pushing the Gaming experience. But the Zune will be having gaming, its GPU and CPU can do more and Microsoft has shown with the Xbox that it can take games from the leader (Sony) and bring them to its platform.

Now, I know this is an Apple fansite but from what I see out in the rest of the world... the ZuneHD really does have a chance. What are your thoughts... people really expected more.

Still to see it in action but I still hold that the iPod wins, merely by software availability alone, and also the price of it. Because they have 50 million custumers already, they have apps of 1$, 2$, 5$. It would take a miracle for MS to top that. And isn't it hilarious that MS gets beaten by Apple due to the availability of 3rd party software?!? I find it funny as hell!! Ahahaha!

So, no, for MS to top Apple with its "sony" friend, they would have to write hundreds of apps very quickly and put them very cheaply. They can't do that, now can they?

We'll see. Yes, the fanboys are irritated, but then again, these bunch are so demanding!! They are almost worse than Steve himself
  • Reply 43 of 260
    Quote:

FM Radio & HD Radio

OLED Screen

1GHZ NVIDIA TEGRA.

I saw that Apple was really pushing the Gaming experience. But the Zune will be having gaming, its GPU and CPU can do more and Microsoft has shown with the Xbox that it can take games from the leader (Sony) and bring them to its platform.

Now, I know this is an Apple fansite but from what I see out in the rest of the world... the ZuneHD really does have a chance. What are your thoughts... people really expected more.

Sure. Even though Zune has been ignored by consumers, virtually no sales to speak of through their music store, no real footprint in the marketplace... they'll catch up.

But seriously, Apple shot their own foot by ignoring the iPod touch today. Left a lot of disgruntled upgraders flapping in the breeze.
  • Reply 44 of 260
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

FAIL. That was the only reason to upgrade.

And having Apple ship the iPod touch with a known defective camera would be what?! FTW???

Dave
  • Reply 45 of 260
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That "tab" on the back of the current touch is for WiFi, I think. Nothing to do with a "shoulda-been" video camera lens.

Funny, it's nearly the same shape, except for the case contours, as the one on the Nano and in the same position as the iPhone's... Besides, it already had wi-fi without that spot. It clearly is a plug for the missing camera...
  • Reply 46 of 260
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Still to see it in action but I still hold that the iPod wins, merely by software availability alone, and also the price of it. Because they have 50 million custumers already, they have apps of 1$, 2$, 5$. It would take a miracle for MS to top that. And isn't it hilarious that MS gets beaten by Apple due to the availability of 3rd party software?!? I find it funny as hell!! Ahahaha!

So, no, for MS to top Apple with its "sony" friend, they would have to write hundreds of apps very quickly and put them very cheaply. They can't do that, now can they?

We'll see. Yes, the fanboys are irritated, but then again, these bunch are so demanding!! They are almost worse than Steve himself

Just like Apple did a few years ago, MS is paying devs to write games for the new Zune hardware and because there is no installed base the games will be a lot better graphically. most games in the app store are still for 1st gen hardware because of the installed base numbers. i've seen 2 games so far that require the 3GS and they are just graphical rewrites of last year's games
  • Reply 47 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Funny, it's nearly the same shape, except for the case contours, as the one on the Nano and in the same position as the iPhone's... Besides, it already had wi-fi without that spot. It clearly is a plug for the missing camera...

Have you ever seen an iPod Touch before? They all have one, since first generation.
  • Reply 48 of 260
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Yes. It can't be a manufacturing problem or of ruining profit margins. It's probably a marketing decision.

But I disagree with Apple on this wholeheartedly. They would have swept up this Christmas with an iPod touch with video. Now I believe that while they will have a successful Christmas shopping season for ipods, it will not be as successful as it could have been.

iPod Touches will beat the zune HD of course. But I believe that the Zune HD will see some good buisness in the coming weeks for sure.

maybe 2nd Gen Touch's have had good enough sales that Apple doesn't thing it's worth it putting a camera on the 3rd gen because not enough people will upgrade from older hardware?
  • Reply 49 of 260
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

FM Radio & HD Radio

OLED Screen

1GHZ NVIDIA TEGRA.

Why didn't they make it an XBox portable? That might have given them a fighting chance, and tie it in with a brand that sells.

Otherwise, Microsoft's track record with portable devices doesn't compare well with Apple's portable device track record. Windows Mobile had a chance to take over, a decade's worth of them. Same with Windows CE. Same with Zune. Why they have two mobile OSs seems to be a pretty silly mistake. They all sell, but at often a distant second or third. I recall MS dropped the Zune phone idea.
  • Reply 50 of 260
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Now I am so glad I bought my iPhone 3GS with video. Something is wrong with this picture here. Was it the thinness of the Touch that was preventing this or the addition of a mic that AT&T balked at?

Anyone who owns last year's Touch will not upgrade for just this. This is not good.
  • Reply 51 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

And having Apple ship the iPod touch with a known defective camera would be what?! FTW???

Dave

Having an iPod Touch with no camera at all is a total fail . Removes any reason I have to get one.
  • Reply 52 of 260
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    And yo JEFF.....don't be editing my blasted posts! I can use large font sizes as long as you have them available on the site. And I didn't use them for the entire post just certain words.

Don't annoy me. This ain't the time. I'm not really upset........yet.
  • Reply 53 of 260
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Now, I know this is an Apple fansite but from what I see out in the rest of the world... the ZuneHD really does have a chance.

I don't know about the entire world thats a mighty big number you're putting in your camp but the Zune clearly has the somewhat undivided attention 5% of the media player market (give or take). So they got THAT going for em, which is NICE!***

*** My homage to Bill Murray

Dave
  • Reply 54 of 260
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    The rumored technical glitch in manufacturing must have been with the 16Gb version. Where's that lovely model?
  • Reply 55 of 260
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

And yo JEFF.....don't be editing my blasted posts! I can use large font sizes as long as you have them available on the site. And I didn't use them for the entire post just certain words.

Don't annoy me. This ain't the time. I'm not really upset........yet.

Oh, boo hoo.
  • Reply 56 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Did you not read the AI article saying that the touch was having troubles w/ the camera? People got pissed over the article and when it comes to fruition, they are blaming it on a secret conspiracy. If you want a camera on the touch you will probably have to wait until early next year.

Oh I read it alright.

And "hey" I said "fine". I assumed all that meant was that there would be a delay in shipping the production units when everything was finally ironed out. Even if it took a few months at least the ipod touch with camera would be announced today.

But with today's announcements it looks like they will skip it altogether! We won't see the ipod touch with a camera until this time next year.....maybe.
  • Reply 57 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Oh, boo hoo.

Jeff, be careful what you say dude. Seriously. You did your job, you edited the posts....now don't say a word more to me.

EDIT: I decided to edit my post at the last second before you responded. Seriously, drop it.
  • Reply 58 of 260
    Quote:

Jeff, be careful what you say dude. Seriously. You edited the posts....now shut up.

And now you're arguing with a Global Moderator as to what he is and isn't able to do...
  • Reply 59 of 260
    Apple has got me so ticked off, I'll probably put my energy into getting a 1-G iPhone cheap and forget buying these ho-hum iPod touches. That way, Apple won't get a penny and I'll probably save money.

I need a camera, and I need a mike and I don't want to pay AT&T fees. I also need them soon. I thought I would get that in the new touches. Instead, Apple is giving the tiny Nano more features but not the iPod touch. Why? With that tiny 2.2-inch Nano screen you can't see much of what you've taken and the equally tiny battery isn't likely to last long in video mode.

What's going on? If Apple has production problems with camera-equipped touches, they should say so, give us the details of new touch, and a release date. This cult of secrecy is such a pain. You'd think they were the Kremlin circa 1935. Both have a cult-like obsession with not admitting mistakes.

Still worse is the possibility that Apple wants to build high walls between its products, doling out features in odd ways to fit a marketing straight-jacket. The iPhone would be for work and business for those with the money. The touch is for games but not recreation, hence the lack of a camera and the boring length of game promotion today. Color touch users fat and flabby couch potatoes. The Nano is for mostly outdoor recreation (camera and Nike added), but has nothing that lets you get work done. If so, it's stupid move. Users don't want to klutz with 2-3 gadgets.

To add insult to injury, I just checked the specs on the new touches. The 8 gig model ships with the old-style earphones not the remote earphones and without a plastic dock adapter. Total saving for Apple? Probably about 25 to 50 cents. Cost to customers who don't want to pull their touch out of their pocket every time they pause music: $30 That stinks. Heck, even the cheap little $59 Shuttle ships with remote earphones. While Jobs was gone, the niggling little bean counters seem to have been running Apple. This is the unfortunate result.

I hate companies that treat their customers as if they were stupid, and that's precisely how I feel Apple is treating its customers now.
  • Reply 60 of 260
    Oh well, no camera means my old 1st gen Touch will soldier on. Thanks for saving me money, Apple!